PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for my driver's license test.

Mystic Muse
2013-06-16, 04:42 PM
Well, my permit expires on the 30th, and I figure that I don't want to get another permit, so I'm just going to try and be ready for my license test by then.

Does anybody have any advice on what I need to prepare for?

SaintRidley
2013-06-16, 05:05 PM
Be solid on parallel parking, make sure your turns aren't too wide, and keep to just under the speed limit. If you can do those, the rest shouldn't be much of a problem. Also, as my spouse puts it, be a bobblehead. Always keep checking your mirrors, when turning check blindspots, and always do a more exaggerated version of your normal movements for these purposes to make sure your tester will notice that you're doing it.

Grinner
2013-06-16, 05:10 PM
Obey the speed limit.
When you change lanes, always check the mirrors and your blindspot.
Always use your turn signals
Slow down before making turns.
Listen to the examiner carefully.
Accelerate and brake smoothly.
Know how to turn the windshield wipers on.

In other words, if you do everything you should normally do, you'll do just fine.

Edit: Ooo. Parking. Forgot about that one. Be sure you can park competently.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-06-16, 05:38 PM
In Vancouver you also have to do reverse parking competently. You're allowed to realign your car once if it looks like you're not going to make it on the first entry. As long as you can do it within the lines and without touching them, you're fine, but if you can't, you'll fail the maneuver.

Best advice I can give though is "be a bobblehead." Do shoulder checks even when you think you don't need to. It's fine if you're nervous, most people are.

Otherwise, what Grinner said.

CynicalAvocado
2013-06-16, 08:51 PM
just remember, turn lanes are absolutely necessary.

learn from my mistake

Mauve Shirt
2013-06-16, 09:54 PM
The test varies by state. If you're taking it at a Maryland DMV I would recommend you enroll in the I Drive Smart class. It's a 2-hour class that teaches you how to pass the test, not how to drive. Delaware and Virginia might have versions as well.

My biggest piece of advice: don't practice parallel parking so much that you forget other closed course maneuvers, and vice versa.

Mystic Muse
2013-06-16, 09:54 PM
The test varies by state. If you're taking it at a Maryland DMV I would recommend you enroll in the I Drive Smart class. It's a 2-hour class that teaches you how to pass the test, not how to drive. Delaware and Virginia might have versions as well.

My biggest piece of advice: don't practice parallel parking so much that you forget other closed course maneuvers, and vice versa.

I'm actually in Indiana.

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-16, 09:57 PM
Well, I flunked my first driver's license test for one reason, I stayed at a stop sign too long when a truck was coming in the distance.

So, be cautious, but also bold, is what my experience has to offer! :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2013-06-17, 12:52 AM
TURN TO LOOK BEHIND YOU WHEN CHANGING LANES. I failed my driver's test the first time for this precise reason.

Also, do not turn onto the wrong lane. Oh, and slow down and be careful when approaching unmarked intersections. Apparently not doing so is an automatic fail.

KuReshtin
2013-06-17, 09:00 AM
I found that it helped to ease my nerves quite a bit when I accidentally reversed into a wall (very gently, but still noticeable) during my driving test while performing a three-point turn on a dead-end street that didn't have a turning point.
After that, I was so convinced that I'd failed that my nerves just went away, and I treated it like a normal driving lesson, and for the rest of the test, i aced everything they threw at me.

Please note, though, that I'm not advocating reversing into walls on purpose during your driving test, as that may severely impact your test result in a negative way.

Traab
2013-06-17, 09:05 AM
I got screwed out of my first test. The route the guy took me on had an obscured stop sign completely covered in graffiti. I never even saw the damn thing till after he told me where I failed and I went back out to look at it and curse up a freaking storm. Like I said, the sign was half covered by branches, and it was black and white from spray paint, no visible red. How the ^%$&%^ was I supposed to notice that?! Ugh, next test I passed no problems. And yeah, exaggerate your movements a bit when you check your blind spot or whatever but dont go too overboard with it. Also, despite the fact that noone but the most horribly annoying pains in the ass do it in real life, try to stay a couple mph under the limit. The reaction from other drivers wont be too bad, they know its the damn dmv, they are used to it.

Flickerdart
2013-06-17, 09:32 AM
Resist the urge to drift.

noparlpf
2013-06-17, 10:39 AM
Well, my permit expires on the 30th, and I figure that I don't want to get another permit, so I'm just going to try and be ready for my license test by then.

Does anybody have any advice on what I need to prepare for?

#1. Prepare your patience. Nearly everybody I've ever talked to about road tests had a bad experience with the proctor. They tend to be kind of grouchy.

Otherwise, practice parallel parking. You might want to practice parking on both sides, just in case. Come to full stops, but don't sit too long. If for any reason there's a car stopped in your lane and you need to go around and partially across the middle line, slow down and signal. My proctor took points off because I didn't signal to go around a double-parked car in a one-way street even though I wasn't technically changing lanes. Don't follow other cars too closely. Double the minimum safe distance you're usually told. My proctor took off points because I was driving something like thirty or forty feet behind the next car at 25mph, which is normally plenty. Don't ask questions. My proctor yelled at me for confirming that I was to drive straight unless told otherwise (I'd never had an instructor before, so how should I have known?). React almost before they've even told you what to do. My proctor took off points for not signalling to park soon enough—"Turn hereNOW PARK. You didn't signal soon enough." But the signal hadn't even turned off from turning. My turns tended to be a little sharp anyway because she didn't bother giving me notice before I was at the corner. Make sure you turn your head over your shoulder before pulling out. My proctor took off points because I wasn't looking both backwards and forwards simultaneously even though I checked over my shoulder and then watched in my mirror while pulling out, which is exactly what you should do. She wasn't even looking at me, so she missed me turning my head. Yeah, I barely passed.
Also, always keep both hands on the wheel. A friend who's otherwise a good driver failed because of that.

Traab
2013-06-17, 11:19 AM
Resist the urge to drift.

Just because the cop in the car next to you nods at a red light doesnt mean he wants to drag race.

angrymudcrab
2013-06-17, 02:13 PM
Drive a lot. The best way to get good at something is to do it a lot. Try to get the most stressful family member you have to be your driving supervisor when you do so. It may sound silly, but my dad taught me to drive and his method of dealing with anything wrong tends to be yelling and hysteria. Once I was able to drive him about without too much trouble, it actually was less stressful to drive the proctor around.

As far as actual skills go, know your car's blind spots and check them whenever you are shifting lanes or turning. Keep about a car's length between you and the person in front of you, this will give you time to brake if they stop suddenly. You should be doing these things anyway, since they will keep you from hitting someone on the road. If you are planning to turn or switch lanes, always signal, even if no one is around. If you do this it will eventually get to be a reflex and one less thing you have to consciously think about. Be able to parallel park, but don't stress out about it.

Generally you can get away with going ~5 mph over the speed limit, but strictly adhere to the limit on the test. I like to plan out my routes in my head so I can switch lanes when it is comfortable/convenient without being stressed out at the last minute. So don't be afraid to ask the proctor for the next thing you will be doing. Just something like if you are on a road ask something to the effect of which way you will be turning next, and ask him/her to give you a heads up about a block or so in advance. Your driving should be smooth and gentle on the passengers, not abrupt and choppy. I second the bobblehead suggestion, since you are kind of expected to be able to see 360 degrees even though that is physically impossible.

It might be good to know how to turn on your car's hazard lights and look behind you before you put the car in reverse. The hazard light thing was the first thing my proctor asked, and rather embarrassingly I had to ask her to help me find the switch. When pulling out of the parking space I put the car in reverse with my foot on the brake, looked and then backed up, and she told me afterwards I should have looked before putting it in reverse. These are minor and I passed anyway. They didn't make me parallel park, but the area I took the test in was a bit rural, so ymmv and I still recommend practicing it a bit just to feel more confident. Good luck!:smallsmile:

noparlpf
2013-06-17, 02:58 PM
I like to plan out my routes in my head so I can switch lanes when it is comfortable/convenient without being stressed out at the last minute. So don't be afraid to ask the proctor for the next thing you will be doing. Just something like if you are on a road ask something to the effect of which way you will be turning next, and ask him/her to give you a heads up about a block or so in advance.

I do too. But my proctor snapped at me anytime I asked what was coming next. So I gave up on that.
Seriously, that lady. She comes up to us where we're waiting. I say good morning, how are you, and hold out my hand. She ignores me and gets into my car. I mentally said, lady, do not get into my car without even greeting me civilly.

factotum
2013-06-17, 03:29 PM
Drive a lot. The best way to get good at something is to do it a lot.

I'd actually say that's not such a good idea with driving, because you can unconsciously learn bad habits that are sufficient to fail your test--for example, at the time I took my test (no idea if it's still the case 20-odd years later) you'd fail your test for crossing your arms while steering, which is a very easy habit to drop into when you're used to driving. Plus, if looking in the mirrors etc. becomes second nature you'll just be glancing at them and the examiner might not see you do it!

Anarion
2013-06-17, 03:33 PM
Double check the rules for bike lanes in your state. I failed my first test because I didn't move over into a bike lane after signaling, but before turning.

noparlpf
2013-06-17, 03:41 PM
I'd actually say that's not such a good idea with driving, because you can unconsciously learn bad habits that are sufficient to fail your test--for example, at the time I took my test (no idea if it's still the case 20-odd years later) you'd fail your test for crossing your arms while steering, which is a very easy habit to drop into when you're used to driving. Plus, if looking in the mirrors etc. becomes second nature you'll just be glancing at them and the examiner might not see you do it!

Like my friend who failed for not keeping both hands on the wheel at all times.
However, the best way to pass is to know how to drive well, and that comes from experience. What's important while getting that practice is to remember to follow all the rules and drive properly, which you should be doing anyway.

Mando Knight
2013-06-17, 06:24 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is that it's OK to fail the test the first time. I'm pretty sure most people do... in fact, I'm pretty sure the system is set up so that they'll nitpick like crazy if they have to in order to fail you your first time.

CynicalAvocado
2013-06-17, 06:35 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is that it's OK to fail the test the first time. I'm pretty sure most people do... in fact, I'm pretty sure the system is set up so that they'll nitpick like crazy if they have to in order to fail you your first time.

this is very true.

believe it or not, but i failed mine twice. and i'm a spectacular driver.

(i've had my license for ~4 years and i've never gotten a ticket)

noparlpf
2013-06-17, 07:35 PM
The way I see it, they're really picky...about the wrong things. Parallel parking hardly ever comes up outside of cities. I've had to parallel park like, three times since I got my license. (Granted, I've only had it six months, but I drive a lot.) They're super-picky, but only test you on a few things like, one or two times each. They don't go anywhere near highways. I do most of my driving on highways and they had no idea how well I'd know highway rules.

Anarion
2013-06-17, 07:40 PM
The way I see it, they're really picky...about the wrong things. Parallel parking hardly ever comes up outside of cities. I've had to parallel park like, three times since I got my license. (Granted, I've only had it six months, but I drive a lot.) They're super-picky, but only test you on a few things like, one or two times each. They don't go anywhere near highways. I do most of my driving on highways and they had no idea how well I'd know highway rules.

Ironically, I live in a city and I've had to parallel park on some very busy streets, but they never tested it when I took the test. They had me practice backing up carefully, but I didn't have to parallel park at all.

I do agree with the people who noted exaggeration though. You need to get to a stop sign and come to a full stop, and then turn your head left and right (regardless of your actual field of vision, turn your head).

noparlpf
2013-06-17, 07:43 PM
Ironically, I live in a city and I've had to parallel park on some very busy streets, but they never tested it when I took the test. They had me practice backing up carefully, but I didn't have to parallel park at all.

Whereas I was tested in an area where parallel parking is occasionally necessary but not the norm. Where I live and the places I tend to go, it's almost never necessary. (Except Philly. I drove there for the first time last week.)

I do agree with the people who noted exaggeration though. You need to get to a stop sign and come to a full stop, and then turn your head left and right (regardless of your actual field of vision, turn your head).

Probably would help. My proctor literally didn't even look at me half the time, though. So that might not always help anyway.

Arcran
2013-06-17, 07:49 PM
Whatever you do, do not stop in a crosswalk. If your choice is get t-boned or stop in a crosswalk, choose getting hit. First time I took the test, I stopped in the crosswalk because if I didn't some idiot running a red light would have hit me. The DMV guy still docked me twenty points for it. Think I failed by like two points.

Marnath
2013-06-17, 07:59 PM
this is very true.

believe it or not, but i failed mine twice. and i'm a spectacular driver.

(i've had my license for ~4 years and i've never gotten a ticket)

I went 9 years without getting a ticket, and that one was never added to my record (safe driver amnesty, pay $60 for some online class, don't earn points on your license). So technically it doesn't count. :smalltongue:

I think I may win this one. Not only was I tested for parallel parking, we literally had to go to the next town over to find parallel spots, as my own town doesn't have any. That's a special kind of stupid.

noparlpf
2013-06-17, 08:39 PM
Whatever you do, do not stop in a crosswalk. If your choice is get t-boned or stop in a crosswalk, choose getting hit. First time I took the test, I stopped in the crosswalk because if I didn't some idiot running a red light would have hit me. The DMV guy still docked me twenty points for it. Think I failed by like two points.

I'm going to say "stop in the crosswalk". Your safety comes before getting a license. And if the proctor fails you for it, they shouldn't have that job.

I think I may win this one. Not only was I tested for parallel parking, we literally had to go to the next town over to find parallel spots, as my own town doesn't have any. That's a special kind of stupid.

A friend of mine had a similar issue. Her proctor solved it differently. She was told to just pull over on the side of a road.
"That's you car." *points at bush*
"Um, what?"
"That bush is your car."
"..."
"Park in front of that bush."
"OH."

Whiffet
2013-06-17, 09:44 PM
I do too. But my proctor snapped at me anytime I asked what was coming next. So I gave up on that.
Seriously, that lady. She comes up to us where we're waiting. I say good morning, how are you, and hold out my hand. She ignores me and gets into my car. I mentally said, lady, do not get into my car without even greeting me civilly.

The lesson here is that if you aren't a really bad driver, the main factor determining how well you do on the test is who is giving you the test. :smalltongue:

My advice is to go in with an idea of what they might want you to do, but to not focus too hard on certain things you expect to see on that test. Otherwise you might forget about important actions because you were thinking too much about the smaller rules.

When I took driver's ed they kept stressing that, at some point, we would be told to pull over. The instructors said that we were supposed to put on the parking brake when this happened (even though the area where I took the test was fairly flat :smallconfused:). So when I took my test, there came a point on a side road where I was told to pretend an ambulance was coming. I knew that meant to pull over, so I did. I remembered how the driver's ed people kept going on about the parking brake, so I put it on. Unfortunately, I was thinking so hard about something that no one ever does that I forgot to signal when I pulled over. Oops!