PDA

View Full Version : Catalogue of Adventure Hooks

Jzadek
2013-06-16, 07:29 PM
I see a lot of people wanting to write a campaign, but are never sure where to start, and that's something I get a lot myself. I often find that the best way to get the creative juices flowing is an interesting premise, the hook. So, I thought to aid that, it might be fun to compile a catalogue of interesting hooks that play-grounders come up with.

I'll start.

1. Many years ago, for no apparent reason, the greatest of the dwarven cities shut its great stone gates on the world. Now, for the first time anyone can remember, the gates have opened again.

2. An evil overlord and his armies of darkness are vanquished. Only problem is, now there are a whole lot of orcs and goblins with nowhere to go and no-one to control them, and they start to tear up the countryside of the civilized lands in a bloody civil war.

3. The players are requested to help investigate a series of strange and supernatural deaths in a town on the frontiers of the wilderness. However, rather than vengeful fey, it is the town's own druid committing the murders as he has become radicalized seeing the damage the town is doing to the land.

4. A nobleman invites the players to protect him from assassins at an important political function, only to manipulate them into killing a rival of his while he gets off blameless.

5. The players are commanded to pursue a fugitive - only trouble is, he's seeking asylum in the lands of the gnolls, and they don't take kindly to intruders.

Silverbit
2013-06-16, 09:52 PM
6. The PC's home city is built atop ancient ruins. Only trouble is, the inhabitants are not dead but dreaming, and they hate puny mammalian squatters.

Rhynn
2013-06-17, 12:50 AM
7. through 106. (http://planetalgol.blogspot.fi/2010/02/compiled-100-random-adventure-plots.html) over at Planet Algol. :smallcool:

My favorite is probably "A terrible howling storm of acid and radiation lashes the land driving all into shelters where they must contend with cannibalistic madness." (Which Blair promptly got for his own campaign and ran with.)

As a bonus, 100 NPCs (http://planetalgol.blogspot.fi/2010/02/100-npcs-table.html).