PDA

View Full Version : What are those Psionic gods called again?

pwykersotz
2013-06-16, 10:15 PM
I've searched google for an hour, ctrl-f'd all my books, and yet for some reason I can't find the answer.

What are those beings who are not gods, but who kind of are that are ascended Psions? I thought they were Over Minds or something, but that's not yielding any results. Does anyone know?

Rubik
2013-06-16, 10:19 PM
I've searched google for an hour, ctrl-f'd all my books, and yet for some reason I can't find the answer.

What are those beings who are not gods, but who kind of are that are ascended Psions? I thought they were Over Minds or something, but that's not yielding any results. Does anyone know?God minds.

pwykersotz
2013-06-16, 10:21 PM
Thank you. Thank you so much. I was driving myself crazy trying to remember.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-16, 10:22 PM
Perhaps you mean the unbodied or 10th level psion uncarnates?

The psionic gods listed in the XPH are zuoken and illsensine.

Flickerdart
2013-06-16, 10:24 PM
When in doubt regarding psionic names, just tack "-mind" to the end of a relevant noun and chances are, that's what it is.

Devils_Advocate
2013-06-16, 11:23 PM
Could you give a brief description of these beings, or tell me where one can read about them? I've never heard of them before and I'm curious now.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-17, 03:15 AM
If you google "psionic god minds" you'll get 'em in one of the first couple hits.

They appear to be third party material.

(Un)Inspired
2013-06-17, 03:55 AM
I'm pretty sure he's referring to psionic artificers.

Rubik
2013-06-17, 11:03 AM
If you google "psionic god minds" you'll get 'em in one of the first couple hits.

They appear to be third party material.They're from Dreamscarred Press which, while 3rd party, is a company that's very much dedicated to remaining fair and interesting and balanced as possible.

Devils_Advocate
2013-06-17, 06:29 PM
Ah, yes, here we are (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/godmind).

I neglected to consider that psionic material is mostly 3rd party, since psionics didn't get much WotC support. A foolish oversight in retrospect.

... On my part, I mean, not Wizards of the Coast's. I dunno that there was enough demand for psionic material that the general lack of it could be considered a blunder on their part. And they did eventually produce Complete Psionic.

Which was infamously flawed in its implementation, but that's a different issue.

Snowbluff
2013-06-17, 06:30 PM
Ah, yes, here we are (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/godmind).

I neglected to consider that psionic material is mostly 3rd party, since psionics didn't get much WotC support. A foolish oversight in retrospect.

... On my part, I mean, not Wizards of the Coast's. I dunno that there was enough demand for psionic material that the general lack of it could be considered a blunder on their part. And they did eventually produce Complete Psionic.

Which was infamously flawed in its implementation, but that's a different issue.I think psionics would have a lot of the power bloat issues spellcasting had if we got many more books on them.

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-17, 06:39 PM
I think psionics would have a lot of the power bloat issues spellcasting had if we got many more books on them.

Gate. Shapechange. Disjunction. Teleportation Circle. Time Stop. Astral Projection.

Nearly all the broken spells are core. Spellcasting didn't get much bloat except for in the transition from 2e to 3.0.

Snowbluff
2013-06-17, 06:44 PM
Gate. Shapechange. Disjunction. Teleportation Circle. Time Stop. Astral Projection.

Nearly all the broken spells are core. Spellcasting didn't get much bloat except for in the transition from 2e to 3.0.

So like how many 9th level spells? Not that powers don't have their tricks, but a lot of the lower level spells we think are good came up through splat, like Wraithstrike and Orbs. Then we start talking about the feats and PrCs...

Devils_Advocate
2013-06-17, 07:54 PM
Yeah, saying that a class can handily break the game at 17th level doesn't mean that there's no room for power creep. Surely things that allow the class to break the game or even just become overpowered at a lower level than was previously possible qualify.

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-17, 08:07 PM
So like how many 9th level spells? Not that powers don't have their tricks, but a lot of the lower level spells we think are good came up through splat, like Wraithstrike and Orbs. Then we start talking about the feats and PrCs...

But that wasn't caster specific creep, that was general creep. Things got stronger as 3.X went on, the actually number of splats had little to do with that. Is it not true that ToB, a subsystem with a single book is much stronger than standard classes that fill a similar niche? The reason I used the broken spells was because they are caster specific.

Snowbluff
2013-06-17, 08:13 PM
But that wasn't caster specific creep, that was general creep. Things got stronger as 3.X went on, the actually number of splats had little to do with that. Is it not true that ToB, a subsystem with a single book is much stronger than standard classes that fill a similar niche? The reason I used the broken spells was because they are caster specific.When a caster or psion does it, it's creep. When an Initiator does it, it's trying to keep up. Casters started strong and ended stronger. Melee started blegh and ended up alright. :smallsmile:

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-17, 08:19 PM
When a caster or psion does it, it's creep. When an Initiator does it, it's trying to keep up. Casters started strong and ended stronger. Melee started blegh and ended up alright. :smallsmile:

They gained much more in breadth than in raw power. I'd say a sorcerer became a much more interesting choice with the publish of more books without a huge increase in pure power. Since Psionic classes are much more innately limited than traditional full casters, it's likely they'd gain more in available options from more books. Options aren't always a bad thing. My initial point was adding books isn't something inherently bad because of bloat since a lot of the worst offenders didn't come from added books.