PDA

View Full Version : Vorpal Caltrops

Jeff the Green
2013-06-17, 09:18 AM
The idea struck me as obscenely funny for some reason. Possibly sleep deprivation. Is it possible?

As far as I can tell, there are two problems: making them count as slashing and making sure they count as weapons so they can be enchanted.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-17, 09:29 AM
I know what you mean - I find the idea of Vorpal serpents tongue arrows absolutely hilarious.

I mean, you shoot an arrow at him and his head falls off. Lolwut:smalltongue:

Uncle Pine
2013-06-17, 09:37 AM
Would an animated caltrop with Improved Unarmed Strike and Versatile Unarmed Strike equipped with a +1 vorpal necklace of natural attacks suit your mental image?

Yes I know it's suboptimal, but I don't have any other idea :smalltongue:

EDIT: Or you could make a swarm of such animated caltrops using the Swarm template from Advanced Bestiary.
EDIT_2: But then you should buy a lot of vorpal necklaces, or apply incarnated construct to the caltrop swarm and then add some kensai level. However, this may sound a little bit extreme.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-17, 09:38 AM
Cool, I will have to remember to think of cool things to do with caltrops.

More commonly I would expect poisoned caltrops to be used. It would be a cool way to make someone

I could see some creatures with a natural climb speed fighting from the walls in an area where the floors are all covered in poisoned caltrops. The party is sure to step on one eventually, and you basically have cheep traps that deliver poison once per square.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-17, 09:39 AM
It's not exactly a headshot, per say, but here's a clip of some one disarming his opponent with an arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODOYBnVIdU

Vorpal Caltrops seem odd in that they specifically deal damage to the feet, and a vorpal weapon is supposed to decapitate some one. Unless maybe you want caltrops that cut off your opponent at the ankles.
Also, I don't believe that the rules specify what type of damage a caltrop does, but the general construction of them would probably be piercing. In order to get slashing caltrops I'm picturing something like miniatrue axe-heads welded together, though that seems like it would be much more difficult to create. Historically, one of the benefits of caltrops where that they could be manufactured in large numbers by almost any blacksmith, from practically any material.

And then there is the expense of enchanting what basically amounts to a few dozen weapons with a +5 enhancement.
Personally, it sounds funny, but I think you might want to investigate a different method for producing what are effectively land-mines. In any event, it would likely require heavy use of homebrew or house-ruling.

For ease of use, here is the link to caltrops on the SRD if anyone needs it: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm

SciChronic
2013-06-17, 09:55 AM
I know what you mean - I find the idea of Vorpal serpents tongue arrows absolutely hilarious.

that instantly brought that scene from Princess Mononoke to mind. If you haven't seen that movie, do it. Now.
Edit: And watch it in Japanese w/ English subtitles, cause its better that way.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-17, 10:21 AM
that instantly brought that scene from Princess Mononoke to mind. If you haven't seen that movie, do it. Now.
Edit: And watch it in Japanese w/ English subtitles, cause its better that way.

I've seen it, and it still makes me laugh. Every. Single. Time.

Zubrowka74
2013-06-17, 10:37 AM
Hey, it's magic. If the caltrop would have some other non-combat property (say, Balefull Polymorph) we would'nt be asking this question.

Hamste
2013-06-17, 10:43 AM
...polymorph any object a bunch of vorpal swords in caltrops with a contingency dispel of when someone walks on them. Someone steps on it they transform back to normal and do damage (hopefully with decapitation action)

The Viscount
2013-06-17, 10:45 AM
It's not exactly a headshot, per say, but here's a clip of some one disarming his opponent with an arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODOYBnVIdU

As mentioned, A****aka does later decapitate someone with an arrow, and it really is pretty funny.

EDIT: OK, filter. You do that then.

nedz
2013-06-17, 10:53 AM
Shurikens count as ammunition for enchantment purposes so they are quite cheap to enchant. Bring on the Monk with a flurry of heads.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-17, 11:00 AM
Hey, it's magic. If the caltrop would have some other non-combat property (say, Balefull Polymorph) we would'nt be asking this question.

Vorpal isn't the only enchantment with specific requirements. For example, if some one said the wanted to make Disruption-based caltrops (anti-undead effect that requires a bludgeoning weapon) I'd raise similar questions.

Because what's a bludgeoning-type caltrop? I call those "rocks". :smallwink:

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 01:45 PM

Combined with Surge of Fortune + Craft Contingent Surge of Fortune and you can one shot, with no chance of failure except miss chance, anything that dies to Vorpal. Combine with Guided Shot and do it from two thousand feet out and (using a Seeking bow) while ignoring miss chance.

Doing that can piss off your DM though.