PDA

View Full Version : Thicket of Blades ruling

GutterFace
2013-06-17, 09:47 AM
so someone has challenged the way something is written, so i am looking to you great and powerful Playground to help me sort out this issue!

Crusader stance - Thicket of Blades:

i did not see it state in the description of the stance that when you provoke an AoO that you could still only have as many AoO's as your Dex mod (if you have COmbat Reflexes) or 1 otherwise

OR does the Stance superseded the normal AoO ruling and let you make as many AoO's as people moving through your threat range?

can you also provide a place where i can see the ruling to prove the existence of it? thank you.

Flickerdart
2013-06-17, 09:56 AM
Thicket of Blades features no language that would suggest it overrides your regular limit of 1 AoO per round. Just because enemies provoke doesn't mean you can take advantage of it every time.

GutterFace
2013-06-17, 09:58 AM
Thicket of Blades features no language that would suggest it overrides your regular limit of 1 AoO per round. Just because enemies provoke doesn't mean you can take advantage of it every time.

ah ok, good, we were going off of RAW and this only solidifies our understanding. thank you!

SciChronic
2013-06-17, 10:02 AM
Unless stated otherwise, It should count toward your normal limit.

Follow the rule of "Unless stated otherwise, follow standard procedure."

ThermalSlapShot
2013-06-17, 11:13 AM
Do note that ToB (and all WotC books) are horribly worded and shouldn't be taken as RAW. I know I know... RAW is like the "word of god" but really when you heal yourself by drowning... Yeah...

There is a free FAQ/Errata somewhere on the net, I'm sure a google search will find it. It might have the updated language.

I think there is also a homebrew errata of the ToB which only fixes the wording and doesn't really change anything....

Karnith
2013-06-17, 11:16 AM
There is a free FAQ/Errata somewhere on the net, I'm sure a google search will find it. It might have the updated language.
While there is an official ToB errata that you can find here (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), I wouldn't set your hopes too high on it fixing any problems. It does have the Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike fix that everyone needed, though.
EDIT: There is a pretty good unofficial errata that can be found here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=g99vftd445n6t0rruqluibd0o6&topic=335.0), however.

GutterFace
2013-06-17, 11:28 AM
thanks everyone. you are always super helpful :)

Amphetryon
2013-06-17, 11:31 AM
Do note that ToB (and all WotC books) are horribly worded and shouldn't be taken as RAW. I know I know... RAW is like the "word of god" but really when you heal yourself by drowning... Yeah...

I think there is also a homebrew errata of the ToB which only fixes the wording and doesn't really change anything....
You know that "RAW" stands for "Rules As Written," so the language used in the ToB (and all WotC books) is, by default, RAW, right? I think you're possibly confusing "RAW" with "RAI" (Rules As Intended); hopefully this isn't a case of RAITTAAYCPO.

Deophaun
2013-06-17, 01:21 PM
You know that "RAW" stands for "Rules As Written," so the language used in the ToB (and all WotC books) is, by default, RAW, right?
I was going to write something similar, but I think he might mean that the existence of ToB errata means that what you find in the ToB may no longer be RAW, which is true as far as it goes (which, especially with ToB, is not far at all, given the editing SNAFU).

ThermalSlapShot
2013-06-17, 01:32 PM
I was going to write something similar, but I think he might mean that the existence of ToB errata means that what you find in the ToB may no longer be RAW, which is true as far as it goes (which, especially with ToB, is not far at all, given the editing SNAFU).

Yes this.

And to get ten characters (didn't know there was a limit) I'll just say that usually you should go with the group's RAI over RAW since RAW tends to be really really messed up (drowning to heal)

TuggyNE
2013-06-17, 06:04 PM
You know that "RAW" stands for "Rules As Written," so the language used in the ToB (and all WotC books) is, by default, RAW, right? I think you're possibly confusing "RAW" with "RAI" (Rules As Intended); hopefully this isn't a case of RAITTAAYCPO.

Wait, what's that last acronym again?

Amphetryon
2013-06-17, 06:12 PM
Wait, what's that last acronym again?

Rules As I Think They Are And You Can't Prove Otherwise