PDA

View Full Version : Ratfolk and familiar naming assistance

kringer2501
2013-06-17, 11:03 AM
Hi all! Long time lurker first time poster here and I'd like to ask for some help with naming.

Our group just started a Pathfinder campaign in which I am playing a Ratfolk Witch with a Greensting Scorpion familiar. The setting is not light, its pretty dark and the character is fairly no-nonsense. This is not to say he cant crack a joke, but the setting and situation are not generally open to lightheartedness.

That said, I am terrible at coming up with names; I mean just embarrassingly bad, I've been Rping since AD&D 2nd edition and still use names I came up with when I was 13. Right now he is named Tamoq....and yes that is from the Ratfolk entry in the Advanced races guide.

This is my first Witch and Ratfolk, he is neutral with good tendencies, can anyone help me think of a good name for the Rat and his familiar?

ArcaneGlyph
2013-06-17, 12:18 PM
Churr is the name of a wererat in dark sun shattered lands the old dos video game.
Might give you a starting point for more ideas...

The Ravensong
2013-06-17, 12:33 PM
My favorite Nezumi NPC was an apprentice wizard named M'ii Mosu (' pronounced as a tongue click). My party appreciated the disney reference.

Deathkeeper
2013-06-17, 01:05 PM
It depends- if the witch named his familiar, it can be anything. If the familiar named itself, insects can have pretty odd names. I like them to be odd but not impossible to pronounce. I have a Thri-Keen character named Klitcht, for example. It's meant to have a clicking sound when you say it that us mandible-less folks just can't get right, but close enough that no one cares.
Ratfolk names can be pretty much anything. A player of mine named his Shishno. I like to go into Final Fantasy Tactics (Advance) and use its Random name generator when I'm stumped.

kringer2501
2013-06-17, 02:20 PM
Great ideas, thank you! I love the click sounds idea for the familiar, it is intelligent so I like the flavor of being able to have it name itself, that is perfect.

The list of the FF names is great! I love it and am going to use that, thanks all for your input!

Harlot
2013-06-17, 02:44 PM
In general, if you have problems thinking up names, these ideas could work:

Currently all of my neutral NPCs are named after Welsh rugby players, the villains are named after Italian rugby players and authorities like cityguards and army people are named after British rugby players.

If you want to come up with (a group of) names that seem and sound similar, use that idea. For an oriental setting you could use the japanese, chinese or Thai soccer team, Cricket team, swimteam, volleyball team or whatever. Names on any decent online sportssite (team lineups prior to any match)

Or name the NPCs after the first 30 people to finish New York Marathon (list available online) if you just want a list of random names.
If the names seem too common, make the rule that you have to remove one letter in each name and add the letter X, Q, Z or W instead. The athlete Peter Dunbar is then renamed Petzr Dwunba - suddenly sounds quite exotic.

Names are available online on sport website match descriptions and you can have a team + replacements as a ready and at hand list of names for random NPC encounters.

Or you could use an online name generator. Like this: http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Try various cultures and use one where the names sound the right kind of 'ratty'.

Waker
2013-06-17, 03:01 PM
Only ratfolk (as opposed to cartoon rats) that I can think of is Slade from Shining Force II (Sega Genesis). He was a thief who's plundering accidentally set the whole game into motion, but at least tried to man up and make up for it.