PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Can i use headband of vast intelligence for access to feat or magic?

isildur
2013-06-17, 12:13 PM
Assume a 10th level wizard with 12 int. Somebody takes pity on him and gives him headband of vast intlligence +4. He wears the headband for a day.

1>Does he can cast or prepare 5th level spell?
2>At the next level, He can get combat expertise feat?(Yes it's silly)

Deophaun
2013-06-17, 12:25 PM
Yes. However, once he takes it off, he loses the benefits of the feat.

Malvanis
2013-06-17, 01:19 PM
1. Yes, though once he takes it off he loses the ability to prepare spells above 2nd level.
2. Yes, though when he takes it off he would lose the feat benefit.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 01:34 PM
1. Yes, though once he takes it off he loses the ability to prepare spells above 2nd level.
He also looses the ability to cast any that he already has prepared.

gurgleflep
2013-06-17, 01:44 PM
He also looses the ability to cast any that he already has prepared.

If he were to put it back on, would he regain the ability to cast said spells?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 01:46 PM
If he were to put it back on, would he regain the ability to cast said spells?

Yes. You have to have an Int sufficient to cast that level of spells at the time you want to cast the spell.

You also need said Int at the time you are preparing the spell.

Diarmuid
2013-06-17, 01:55 PM
I would argue that were you wear the item and learn/prepare spells above 2nd level, if you then took the item off you would lose the learned/prepared spells and if you put the item back on you would then need to relearn the higher level spells and reprepare them before being able to cast them.

Vaz
2013-06-17, 02:00 PM
A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. A wizard must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below).

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wizard’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the wizard’s Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a wizard can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Wizard. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Intelligence score.

Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a wizard may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook. While studying, the wizard decides which spells to prepare.
There is no mention of such, only of learning, preparing or casting.

Allanimal
2013-06-17, 06:04 PM
Assume a 10th level wizard with 12 int. Somebody takes pity on him and gives him headband of vast intlligence +4. He wears the headband for a day.

1>Does he can cast or prepare 5th level spell?
2>At the next level, He can get combat expertise feat?(Yes it's silly)

I'm going to say No to #2, because one doesn't get a feat at 11th level in 3.5.

Devils_Advocate
2013-06-17, 06:15 PM
Only by default. He could multiclass to Fighter, for example. Or perhaps the Wizard already has one level in another class, making him an 11th level character. Someone who's a 1st level Fighter and a 10th level Wizard is still a 10th level Wizard, isn't he?

Allanimal
2013-06-17, 06:39 PM
Good point. I'll change that to "yes, assuming the character gets a feat next level, and the conditions granting the feat allow Combat Expertise to be chosen, and given the caveats posted above by other playgrounders."

Devils_Advocate
2013-06-17, 07:46 PM
You cannot hope to beat Devils_Advocate in a pedant-off. I am simply the best there is.

TuggyNE
2013-06-17, 08:19 PM
You cannot hope to beat Devils_Advocate in a pedant-off. I am simply the best there is.

This seems like the only appropriate time for this: [citation needed]