PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Infinite Wishes?

monkey3
2013-06-17, 12:20 PM
I would be verrry surprised if this has not come up before. I just want to know the consensus so far:

Arcane-bloodline Sorcerer has the 20th level capstone of: Whenever you use magic items that require charges, you can instead expend spell slots to power the item. For every three levels of spell slots that you expend, you consume one less charge when using a magic item that expends charges.

If you have a Ring of Three Wishes (cost 120k), you get a wish for every 3 levels of spells you sacrifice, and your ring does not get charged!

So basically, a week into 20th level, all your abilities have a +5 inherent bonus, and you are rolling in money/items.

Reverent-One
2013-06-17, 12:28 PM
A ring of three wishes doesn't have charges. It has rubies that disappear after a wish is used. Once the rubies are gone, the ring is dead.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-17, 12:33 PM
I think the lawful evil candle of invocation still works in PF...

monkey3
2013-06-17, 12:45 PM
A ring of three wishes doesn't have charges. It has rubies that disappear after a wish is used. Once the rubies are gone, the ring is dead.

OK, you got me on the semantics. Is there another item with charges and Wish then? Certainly you can make a Staff of Wishes (I heard something about staves having 10 charges in PF, maybe? If so this would make it cheaper).

iDesu
2013-06-17, 12:53 PM
OK, you got me on the semantics. Is there another item with charges and Wish then? Certainly you can make a Staff of Wishes (I heard something about staves having 10 charges in PF, maybe? If so this would make it cheaper).

It'll be rather expensive to make it. 400*9(Spell level)*17(caster level) + 50*25,000(material component price) so 1,131,200 gp

Of course that's to have wish use only one charge, if you want to the use of wish to use 10 charges for the lowest price it'll come out to 186,200gp

Someone with better reading comprehension did better math down below. Shame on me for not catching my mistake.

Reverent-One
2013-06-17, 01:37 PM

You could make that, though given the time and cost of making such a staff, unless you plan on the campaign going long term, you're better off just casting wish a bunch of times yourself.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-06-17, 02:20 PM
I would be verrry surprised if this has not come up before. I just want to know the consensus so far:

I believe the consensus is that if your GM allows it you can do it, and most GMs won't allow it for obvious reasons. Some GMs may allow it in a high-powered epic campaign. As a thought experiment, yes, you can do it with RAW.

Yes, you can use the crafting guidelines to make a charged wishing item. Yes, there's nothing in the arcane bloodline capstone ability to stop you from abusing that.

Coidzor
2013-06-17, 03:27 PM

Arcane-bloodline Sorcerer has the 20th level capstone of: Whenever you use magic items that require charges, you can instead expend spell slots to power the item. For every three levels of spell slots that you expend, you consume one less charge when using a magic item that expends charges.

If you have a Ring of Three Wishes (cost 120k), you get a wish for every 3 levels of spells you sacrifice, and your ring does not get charged!

So basically, a week into 20th level, all your abilities have a +5 inherent bonus, and you are rolling in money/items.

It's nice, but your DM won't allow it if you're not playing in the Big Leagues. And if you are playing in the Big Leagues, while it's a cute trick, it's not quite up to snuff.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-17, 04:57 PM
Bah, a Sadist lifeleech soulthief vitalist gets there at 16th level.

You need the following feats
- Hustle Power Metapsionic
- Overchannel

Items Required
psicrystal staff with a Setting Stone of Invigoration (+1ML)
Torc of Power Preservation - -1pp needed
Wand or scroll of Blood Money
Rabbit

Level 16 Vitalist (Sadist, Life Leech)

Add the rabbit to your collective. (standard action)
Prepare to manifest Reality Revision from the memory of the power stone. (2 rounds)
You use the wand of blood money (standard action), then manifest hustled reality revision (move action) using the 9th level sadist ability to dump the strength damage onto the rabbit instead of yourself (swift action).

One wish per charge on your wand.

Crasical
2013-06-17, 09:21 PM
I think the lawful evil candle of invocation still works in PF...

It doesn't.

monkey3
2013-06-18, 09:53 AM
Bah, a Sadist lifeleech soulthief vitalist gets there at 16th level.

I have no idea about about psionics, so I appreciate the detail. I'll look this up, as it looks interesting. My sorcerer could also do this at 16, but he'd need someone else to make the <200K (as iDesu described) staff of wishes (10 charges per wish).

He would use the Robe of Arcane Heritage (16K) which gives you all your bloodline powers 4 levels ahead of time.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 09:59 AM
I forgot to include the fact that you need the psicrystal containment feat to give you a second focus to expend, but you just psi reform away all your feats after you get done with adding inherent bonuses anyway.

ahenobarbi
2013-06-18, 10:39 AM
Can't you just wish for a ring of three wishes as your first wish and then use other two for whatever you want?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 10:51 AM
PF removed that part of wish.

Urpriest
2013-06-18, 11:22 AM
PF removed that part of wish.

Which is incidentally why Wish in PF isn't that great anyway. Wish loops don't do much for you, since they can't give you items. Basically, you just want 30 free Wishes per PC for all your Inherent bonuses, then the occasional free Wish for the planar travel option. That's all feasible with just Planar Binding.

Raven777
2013-06-18, 11:40 AM
Math for the Pathfinder Staff of Wish (at one point I wanted to make one and then I decided to self regulate). You want the Craft Staff feat, obviously.

( * [spell level] * [minimum available caster level] + [50 times cost of spell material component] ) / [all 10 charges used per cast] * [only usable by X]

Where X can be an alignment or a class or a race. Let's pick Sorcerers. This limitation cuts the market price by 30%.

(400 * 9 * 17 + 50 * 25,000) / 10 * 0.70 = [B]91,784 gp

Well within WBL for a stylish Sorcerer's main weapon slot.

You can cut the price tremendously by binding an Efreet to provide the wishes for free... but really, does it ever work?

Each Wish will expand all 10 charges, or in your Sorcerer's case, 30 spell levels. By 20th level you should have over 300 spell levels per day to throw around. In matters of inherent bonuses, you can pad yourself and your whole party. Then become Sorcerer Jesus, walk the land and cure the blind.