PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest monster around

drack
2013-06-17, 12:42 PM
OK, Basics: Necromancer raising something big, assume bodies are there, using it to hold something big in its mouth. I was thinking leviathan (200' long, 25' wide), but I was hopping for a land critter. Anywho my question is what fun, gynormouse (fluff-wise), non-ooze critters are out there? :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2013-06-17, 12:44 PM
The Epic Level Handbook has some dragons that are size "Collosal +".

iDesu
2013-06-17, 12:44 PM
The biggest monster around? That woudl probably be Tippy.

Mystia
2013-06-17, 01:23 PM
Atropus?
I mean, it's the size of a moon.

hamishspence
2013-06-17, 02:03 PM
The moon isn't fightable though. Only the much smaller Aspect is.

The advanced Aspect of the Leviathan (Elder Evils) has one of the biggest Spaces around- 60ft.

Devastation Vermin (Epic Handbook) come close behind, at 50 ft.

drack
2013-06-17, 02:09 PM
Well I was kind of hopping for a single monster type like leviathan.. There aren't any giant snakes that big or anything?

hamishspence
2013-06-17, 02:13 PM
There is a Leviathan monster in MMII (an oversized whale- magical beast) and it is Colossal- but I think the WoTC PDF updating MMII (and other books) to 3.5, gave it a pretty normal Space for a Colossal creature.

drack
2013-06-17, 02:16 PM
Ah. Oh well then. guess there's always stuff like purple-worm. :smalltongue:

Anywho thanks folks

hamishspence
2013-06-17, 02:18 PM
There's a very snaky Elder Evil some 300+ ft long (Dendar, in Champions of Ruin)- but I can't see a necromancer killing her easily, much less raising her as an undead.

Linnorms (MM2 again) are snaky but with a set of forearms.

drack
2013-06-17, 02:21 PM
Actually linnorms are a pretty good call. Thanks mate. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2013-06-17, 02:25 PM
Devastation Centipede may not be exactly snaky- but it comes pretty close.

Or just advance a Dire Snake (MM2) way past what the rules allow for- "they're more like guidelines than actual rules" for a DM after all.

drack
2013-06-17, 02:30 PM
True. Mostly just that I've always preferred when an undead can double as a mobile home of sorts where you can take the party for a ride in it's stomach. :smalltongue: I ended up doing one a while back with pirates undersea where I used my necromancy HD to raise a leviathan, and used sculpt stone to make it like a boat. Was mostly looking for a land equivalent. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2013-06-17, 02:35 PM
MM3 has the Siege Crab- which comes pre-hollowed even when alive, and is used to ride in.

drack
2013-06-17, 02:38 PM
Yup, but isn't it a construct or something? :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2013-06-17, 02:41 PM
Nope- I think it's a Magical Beast- having been bred from an existing species of crab.

drack
2013-06-17, 02:45 PM
Now that's nifty. Though seeing as I was planning to stone to sculpt stone-> craft check-> stone to flesh, it'd be pretty easy to hollow out most things. :smalltongue:

ShurikVch
2013-06-17, 04:59 PM
Some epic dragons have colossal+ size.
Goristro (from Hordes of Abyss) grow to any possible size.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-17, 09:33 PM
Advance a housecat to Colossal size after applying the Titanic template (MM2)

big teej
2013-06-17, 10:12 PM
reminds me of a critter I need to start throwing at my players again...

I cribbed it from Magic: The Gathering.

if memory serves it was called Lorescale Coatl or something similar.

it's mtg effect was something along the lines of +1/+1 every turn.

so, in dnd. it's a snake that never stops growing. they're slain on sight by most people because they
never.
stop.
growing.

I look forward to having the party come across one big enough to swallow a town.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-17, 11:29 PM
reminds me of a critter I need to start throwing at my players again...

I cribbed it from Magic: The Gathering.

if memory serves it was called Lorescale Coatl or something similar.

it's mtg effect was something along the lines of +1/+1 every turn.

so, in dnd. it's a snake that never stops growing. they're slain on sight by most people because they
never.
stop.
growing.

I look forward to having the party come across one big enough to swallow a town.

The Deathcoil from Serpent Kingdoms is a scary-big snake that can be advanced in size? Oh yeah, it's also got near-human intelligence.

Kane0
2013-06-18, 06:16 AM
Does anyone remember the Zaratan? Island sized turtle thing?
Not sure about the actual size but i always found it pretty intriguing.

hamishspence
2013-06-18, 06:17 AM
I think it was on the order of 80 x 80 ft - it was in Arms & Equipment Guide. That's 3.0 though.

Bronk
2013-06-18, 11:13 AM
You could use a Goristro. It starts at huge size but can grow to be arbitrarily large... they are even called out as growing big enough to be used as a basis to build a city on.

BWR
2013-06-18, 03:30 PM
Regarding atropals: how big is a moon?
Moons can be quite small, down to 1 km in diameter. They can also be larger than Mercury.
Zaratans could grow to 300 feet across.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-18, 04:24 PM
The moon isn't fightable though. Only the much smaller Aspect is.

What? Blasphemy!

*rising spirit speech*

Leader:"LET'S GO KILL THAT MOON!"

Wizard: "Wait, that moon over there?"

Leader: "Yeah, we're gonna go kill it."

Wizard: "Oh, right. So would you be mad if I killed it during your speech and am currently terraforming it as the site of my new summer home?"

Leader:"....."

I think it would be much more capstone to have to kill a moon-sized rogue planetoid. Alas, those designers always seem to pull their punches at the weirdest times.

Cirrylius
2013-06-18, 05:01 PM
Immortal's Handbook Bestiary (3rd party) has rules for advancing creatures up to universe-sized. I have NO idea how playable that would be in general, or for you in particular, though.

Chronos
2013-06-18, 05:15 PM
Immortal's Handbook is of very nearly the same level of overall quality as dandwiki. I would recommend just ignoring it entirely.

drack
2013-06-18, 05:43 PM
Immortal's Handbook is of very nearly the same level of overall quality as dandwiki. I would recommend just ignoring it entirely.

This is the common stance most people I see on the forums take. I've een multiple games crash and burn because they used that...

Cirrylius
2013-06-18, 09:07 PM
*shrugs*

I didn't say ALL of it was useful. I can't imagine using just the sizing rules would be too broken, but I've never been.