PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Build

Machadawg
2013-06-17, 03:15 PM
Im joining an upcoming campaign and based on the meager information i have been given it is mostly undead based. Though the majority of the undead are "awakened", whatever that means, and can be critted and sneak attacked. We start at level 5.

I have decided to play a Duskblade, but have no idea as to what feats to take. I'm not particularly looking for a super-optomized build. The DM is not allowing flaws so i am leaning towards playing a human. My stats are as follows: 18 17 16 14 15 12

Thanks

A_S
2013-06-17, 03:30 PM
Typical choices are Power Attack, Arcane Disciple for some domain with good buffs or utility spells, and Arcane Strike. A lot of people also recommend Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar, since familiars inherit the BAB and HP of their masters, which are better for Duskblades than for most casters.

Obligatory handbook link (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/duskblade-handbook.html).

Vaz
2013-06-17, 03:48 PM
If they've been awakened, according to the spell, it basically means they're of below average human intelligence (unless it's Empowered Maximised, in which case it's of slightly above average intelligence (13). AFAIK, or remember, there's nothing about being able to be critical hitted within the "Awaken Undead" spell, but I may be wrong.

If I'm not, then that's a DM Fiat, and the entire information above is likely to be all incorrect in regards to the setting.

You're a Duskblade; you're limited by your spells known. There are ways around this, but unless you refluff the sandshaper into a setting a specific version (slightly modifying the spell-list for similar spells, my DM has allowed me to do so; I'm in the process at the moment), there aren't many ways to increases spells known.

In an Undead heavy campaign, a Sacred Exorcist could be good, and checking out some of the Divine Feats to gain some lovely bonuses; just don't dump your Charisma; Wisdom should be your dumpest of dump stats.

As a Human at 5th level;

Power Attack, Arcane Disciple and Combat Expertise is a decent start. Try going for Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) to get yourself a decent Domain Power (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html).

Feint's End
2013-06-17, 04:24 PM
Typical choices are Power Attack, Arcane Disciple for some domain with good buffs or utility spells, and Arcane Strike. A lot of people also recommend Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar, since familiars inherit the BAB and HP of their masters, which are better for Duskblades than for most casters.

Pretty much that. Arcane Strike is indeed pretty important as are 13 Level Duskblade for Arcane Channeling on every strike. I recommend dipping into Warblade afterwards and going Jade Phoenix Mage (for Arcane Wrath). All this together makes you a pretty decent melee nova if you burn through your spellslots.

Waker
2013-06-17, 04:30 PM
I'd say dip Spellthief and grab the Master Spellthief feat to steal spells. Arcane Strike can be used to burn stolen spells to deal extra damage. Power Attack is another solid choice.

A_S
2013-06-17, 04:36 PM
Wisdom should be your dumpest of dump stats.

...unless you take our advice and pick up Arcane Disciple, in which case you should put your 15 in it.

With your stats, I would probably go:
Str: 18
Dex: 14
Con: 17
Int: 16
Wis: 15
Cha: 12

...or swap Dex and Cha if you're going to pick up a turning pool for divine feats somehow.

GeekGirl
2013-06-17, 04:36 PM
Warblade (or martial study/stance) you can look toward Jade Phoenix Mage. It's a pretty fun prestige class.

Vaz
2013-06-17, 04:38 PM
Note that with Arcane Strike and JPA, although the two stack, sacrificing 1 spell slot does not power both Arcane Strike and Arcane Wrath, and Arcane Wrath only applies on a single attack, and thus less useful on a full attack channelling build.

JohnDaBarr
2013-06-17, 05:53 PM
Damn bro that are some nice stats

I would go with something like this

Str: 18
Dex: 16
Con: 17
Int: 15
Wis: 14
Cha: 12

Duskblade really doesn't need Int above 15 and dex is always good for better Initiative and AC

Power Attack and Arcane Strike are probably THE best feats for a Duskblade.

Also would recommend to try if you can get to the Whirlwind attack feat if you are going to and above lvl 13, if so you can do some sick **** especially with a reach weapon that's enchanted to have Improve reach. With this you can deliver some nasty spells to many opponents.

Vaz
2013-06-17, 09:06 PM
...unless you take our advice and pick up Arcane Disciple, in which case you should put your 15 in it.

Notice I was talking about Divine Feats, rather than giving him an option of which he'll only start with a single spell and only get enough out of for a couple of rounds?

He's 5th level start. He can only cast 2nd level spells. It's not until 9th when he'll get any more use out of Arcane Disciple.

Take Arcane Disciple at 6 or 9. Dump Wisdom (12). Increase to 13 at 8. Congratulations, you're now casting your 3rd level Divine spells. That's a good amount of time with which your only going to get utility out of 2 whole spells, possibly an entire 3 should it make it to that holy grail of 13th level duskblade (at which point it takes +Wis again at 12th).

Sacred Exorcist with Divine Feats on the other hand comes online quicker and is a bit more useful to a party, while a Duskblade out the box is about as capable as it can be; not much can make it better than it is spellcasting wise than a single dip in Sand Shaper cannot solve.

Urpriest
2013-06-17, 09:45 PM
Knowledge Devotion is great for this campaign, since you know most of the foes will be undead, so you really only have to keep up Knowledge (Religion).

Tanngrisnir
2013-06-17, 10:12 PM
I'm a fan of Versatile Spellcaster too, lets you pick up a few more castings of higher level spells if needed.

Machadawg
2013-06-17, 11:03 PM
Well thanks you guys for you input, and by all means keep it coming. I think my first 3 feats (unless i can finagle some kind of deal with the DM for feat 2) are:
1. Power Attack
2. EWP
3. Knowledge Devotion

Arcanist
2013-06-17, 11:35 PM
Duskblade/Renegade Mastermaker. You are now Raiden.

Grayson01
2013-06-17, 11:57 PM
Knowledge Devotion is one of the best Feats for a DuskBlade
Holy Warrior (see bellow)

What EWP are you thinking of taking? I recommend taking the Great Spear if you want 2 hand, reach, Doubles up the Power Attack, 2d6 damage with a X3 Crit.

As for Spells You will end up with all o-level Spells if you have a +3 Int Bonus. Other wise Give up Ray of Frost Since you will be fighting Undead.
at 1st level I would take for 1st level Shocking Grasp and Ray of Enfeeblement
2nd Level Kelgore's Fire Bolt
3rd Level Obscuring Mist
4th Lesser Deflect
5th Ether Scorching Ray or Seeking Ray.

If you do take Arcane Disciple I suggest the War Domain If you Plan to take Holy Warrior Feat once you can cast 4th level Spells
If you want Self Combat Buff the Strength Domain
If you want Damage The Destruction Domain this way you can Channel 4 of the 5 Domain spells (and if you are fighting undead I always as if I can use Shatter on a Skeletons Head, some DMs Say yes Some say no)

Edit: I forgot chill touches effects on undead switch out Kelgors at 2nd level for Chill touch

Well thanks you guys for you input, and by all means keep it coming. I think my first 3 feats (unless i can finagle some kind of deal with the DM for feat 2) are:
1. Power Attack
2. EWP
3. Knowledge Devotion

Keld Denar
2013-06-17, 11:59 PM
Duskblades don't get feats like a normal character. They have class abilities granted at 1st, 3rd, and 9th which are Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, and Arcane Strike. They still get their 6th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level feats, however.

Snowbluff
2013-06-18, 12:08 AM
I like Poison Spell, Master of Poisons. You get to add poison to the spells you channel. Obtain Familiar is great, as stated above, and you can use it to grab a familiar with free poison.

Duskblade/Renegade Mastermaker. You are now Raiden.

That sounds like fun. Care to elaborate? Lightning Gauntlets from MoI might help.

Arcanist
2013-06-18, 02:57 AM
That sounds like fun. Care to elaborate? Lightning Gauntlets from MoI might help.

I have no idea it was an idea a friend of mines proposed and he never elaborated on it, just stating that he'd like to play that build and call himself that. I'd use Shocking grasp and a pearl of power to do that. I always figured the electrical discharge the he displayed was more aesthetic than actually functional.

I figured that you were a Living mechanical warrior that constantly upgraded himself with magical items.

Machadawg
2013-06-18, 06:23 PM
For EWP, I was actually able to get the feat for free and am using a Great Falchion from sandstorm. Mostly for backstory purposes.

We ran a trail run of the campaign last night and I guess now my character is a psyhcopath who sees and talks to people that are not there.(failed sanity roll)

And as far as spells go, based on what i played last night, shocking grasp and swift invisibility seem to be great. Oh and scorching ray. An extrea 2d8 vs. undead.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-18, 06:32 PM
I put together a duskblade build that gets full attack channeling and some limited 9th-level spells. Channeling otto's irresistible dance is just mean....

The build stub is duskblade 13/nar demonbinder 2/abjurant champion 5. You'll need Touch of Summoning, Fiendish Heritage/Legacy or Arcane Disciple to qualify for nar demonbinder. Here's the full thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286800).