PDA

View Full Version : How many Spellblades can we get?

The Viscount
2013-06-17, 03:38 PM
Spellblade is a magical weapon property that can be added to any weapon. It negates a single spell of your choice. This is a great effect, and it doesn't prohibit wielding multiple, so I'm curious as to how many we can stack on there. I'm assuming for the purposes of this thought experiment that when it says "wielder" you must really be wielding the weapon, no bag of holding full of 50 daggers. Please let me know if someone has a better base than a standard human with willing deformity (teeth) and draconic tail. Let's leave off grafting on infinite arms.

What I have so far
2 one-handed weapons, it doesn't matter which (unless someone knows of a one-handed double weapon)
2 close fighting blades, one in each of these weapons
1 mouthpick weapon
1 tailblade
2 foot spikes

Anything else would be appreciated.

AmberVael
2013-06-17, 03:51 PM
As far as I'm aware, you can just stick the Spellblade enchantment on a single weapon as many times as you want/can pay for. At a glance, it doesn't look like there is any restriction in the DMG against using multiple of the same enchantments, and since each Spellblade enchantment technically does a different thing...

Assuming I haven't missed something somewhere, that would make this a rather pointless exercise.

Edit: (I suppose maybe you could argue applying the no stacking magical effects rules here? But I feel that's kind of a stretch...)

Edge of Dreams
2013-06-17, 03:54 PM
How did you forget about armor spikes? Or is that what you mean by foot spikes?

Also, be a Thri-Kreen or any other monstrous race with extra limbs for even more weapons.

Khatoblepas
2013-06-17, 03:55 PM
Dungeon #120 brings us the Braid Blade, that you can attach to your hair for an extra attack, it also can be enchanted. No word on how many you can attach to your hair. Some people have put a lot in their hair.

If you use a Kobold to let you use Dragon Tail without spending yet another feat OR Deformity (Teeth), as Kobolds have a bite attack anyway. Unfortunately, Kobolds don't really have hair.

Feint's End
2013-06-17, 03:55 PM
-Gauntlet (either spiked or normal ones // free with most heavier armor)
-armorspikes
-amulet of natural attacks (3.0 though)

also my favourite ways for warning property since you always count equipped with them

Another interesting question is ... what happens with a weapon with Spellblade (AMF)

AmberVael
2013-06-17, 03:57 PM
Another interesting question is ... what happens with a weapon with Spellblade (AMF)

Spellblade only works against targeted spells. So, nothing. :smalltongue:

Gildedragon
2013-06-17, 03:58 PM
Dragon magazine has poison rings: one on each finger, more if you want that Liberace look.

Feint's End
2013-06-17, 04:02 PM
Spellblade only works against targeted spells. So, nothing. :smalltongue:

well ... and that kids is why you should read through the propertys once more before you post a reply to a related thread :smallamused:

edit: also the same question has been asked before in other (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9965.0) places // sometimes it's good to google for 1 minute first

Vaz
2013-06-17, 04:35 PM
Totemist 2/Kensai levels (Girallon Arms and each claw enchanted seperately).
If you go for an Insectile Thri-Keen you have a total of 10 Claws.

I know you said "standard human", but the latter was added in for the purposes of standard train of thought.

Quarterstaff; each end gets Spellblade Enchantment. Each end contains a hilt hollow containing a Hideaway Weapon with it.

YMMV, but try and get a weapon enchantments on a wand, in which case two wand chambers.

You have 10 Claws, each pair holding a Quarterstaff with two Spellblade Enchants, two Hideaway Weapons and two Wand Chambers. (2+2+2)*5 = 30.

The Viscount
2013-06-17, 04:39 PM
As far as I'm aware, you can just stick the Spellblade enchantment on a single weapon as many times as you want/can pay for. At a glance, it doesn't look like there is any restriction in the DMG against using multiple of the same enchantments, and since each Spellblade enchantment technically does a different thing...

Well now I just feel silly. This is true. Sorry for wasting everybody's time.

Callin
2013-06-17, 07:20 PM
Don't forget the elbow knee and boot hidden blades.

Feint's End
2013-06-17, 07:25 PM
Well now I just feel silly. This is true. Sorry for wasting everybody's time.

While that is true it gets expensive really fast compared to just enchanting a few other/smaller weapons (which ist usually about 8300+a little bit depending on weapon).

AmberVael
2013-06-17, 08:14 PM
While that is true it gets expensive really fast compared to just enchanting a few other/smaller weapons (which ist usually about 8300+a little bit depending on weapon).

Weeeell... actually... :smalltongue:

Spellblade has a flat cost. Therefore, it is notably less expensive to use a single weapon, since you don't have to purchase the masterwork weapon and a +1 enhancement each time.

Gildedragon
2013-06-17, 08:16 PM
But there is a limit to how many can be tacked on before hitting epic prices.
So one can calculate that an multiply it by the number of possible wielded weapons and voila!

shadow_archmagi
2013-06-17, 08:18 PM
So one can calculate that an multiply it by the number of possible wielded weapons and voila!

Epic prices? I wasn't aware of a rule that limited the maximum GP value of an item- Surely if each instance of Spellblade costs 60k , the character can just sit around tossing another 60k into the weapon whenever she thinks of something else that's relevant to be warded against/whenever she has another 60k?

It's not like the prices go exponential or something.

Gildedragon
2013-06-17, 08:20 PM
The effective cost of 200000gp iirc, at which point it is an epic weapon, and requires special feats and stuff, again iirc

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-17, 08:23 PM
Don't forget that you can have up to 3 armor spikes from using a chain shirt, dastanas and chahar ain (mirror shields) from Oriental Adventures.

AmberVael
2013-06-17, 08:25 PM
33 times. That is, assuming you only have a +1 weapon and no other enchantments. Even one gold piece will toss it over that edge. The cost is 200,000+masterwork and base weapon cost.

Epic prices? I wasn't aware of a rule that limited the maximum GP value of an item- Surely if each instance of Spellblade costs 60k , the character can just sit around tossing another 60k into the weapon whenever she thinks of something else that's relevant to be warded against/whenever she has another 60k?

It's not like the prices go exponential or something.
Epic magic item basics. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm)
You're not technically limited, but any magic item over 200,000 in cost is considered an epic magic item, and then follows the epic magic pricing rules... that is, its cost gets multiplied by 10.

Marnath
2013-06-17, 08:29 PM
Weeeell... actually... :smalltongue:

Spellblade has a flat cost. Therefore, it is notably less expensive to use a single weapon, since you don't have to purchase the masterwork weapon and a +1 enhancement each time.

No it doesn't.:smallconfused:
Spellblade is a +1 special ability.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 08:41 PM
No it doesn't.:smallconfused:
Spellblade is a +1 special ability.

Not according to the Players Guide to FR page 120. It's a flat 6,000 GP there.

Marnath
2013-06-17, 09:05 PM
Not according to the Players Guide to FR page 120. It's a flat 6,000 GP there.

Neat, I had only heard of the one in Magic of Faerun.

Seffbasilisk
2013-06-18, 06:17 AM
If instead of armor spikes, you went with netcutter razors, had them detachable, and each individually enchanted...

...I must build a Mage hunter...

Jeff the Green
2013-06-18, 06:28 AM
Don't forget the elbow knee and boot hidden blades.

Also the sleeve blades, which, like the aforementioned, are in Complete Scoundrel.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 09:37 AM
Wield a quarterstaff in each hand, spellblade each end.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-18, 10:27 AM

Make it Elvencraft Longbows instead :smallwink:

Vaz
2013-06-18, 10:33 AM

Already been done. Include a Hilt Hollow (containing a Hideaway Spellblade weapon) in each end, and a Wand Chamber (with Spellblade attached to the wand).

Be a Totemist 2/Kensai 10 Thri-Keen and you can get 10 Claws, all enchanted as per a Spellblade.

10 Claws, 2 Spellblades per Q'Staff, 2 Wand Chambers per Q'Staff, Each hilt hollow containing 2 of the same Q'Staff, etc, etc, etc, etc. Infinite Loopity loop.

Gildedragon
2013-06-18, 10:44 AM
3 spellblades per quarterstaff, you're forgetting the bow component. And the contained staves are not wielded, rendering those moot. Also the lack of object categories below fine.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-18, 12:09 PM
Sooo... how many spells can you come up with that it's worth getting spellblade for?
(Greater) Dispel Magic? Antimagic Ray? Dimensional Anchor? Disintigrate?
Those would be my picks, after that, i'm not sure there's a single target spell that's annoying/dangerous enough to justify a spellblade.

The Viscount
2013-06-18, 05:00 PM
Disjunction, Wish, Miracle, Trap the Soul, Unname, Mindrape, possibly Love's Pain off the top of my head.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-18, 05:11 PM
Disjunction, Wish, Miracle, Trap the Soul, Unname, Mindrape, possibly Love's Pain off the top of my head.

Disjunction is not allowed since it's AoE. Mindrape falls under Mind Blank which you should have by the time it becomes an issue.
Does Unname ever actually come up? If it does it's certainly a good one to be immune to i guess.
Love's Pain and Trap the Soul are good ideas though, those are nasty.
As for Wish and Miracle, any harmful effect that directly targets you would be outside the safe boundaries of the spell. I'm not sure how effective the protection would be considering that it's by definition rule 0 territory.
If your DM wants to use a Wish to screw you over he'll manage with or without spellblade imo.

Gildedragon
2013-06-18, 06:10 PM
The delight of being spellbladed vs mindrape etc is the bounce spell back to caster option

Jack_Simth
2013-06-18, 06:39 PM
As for Wish and Miracle, any harmful effect that directly targets you would be outside the safe boundaries of the spell.
Transport Travelers clause. The Wish itself isn't inherently harmful, but the place it puts you (like, say, 1,000 feet up next to The Spire, or overlapping the nearest Sphere of Annihilation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#sphereofAnnihilation)) might be. Permits a save and SR, but still....