PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Critique my Oracle build?

mregecko
2013-06-17, 03:46 PM
Hey all -- I'm getting back into D&D/PF after a 2 year hiatus... And am super excited. A local group just lost a player (rogue), and I got an invite to step in for him. I don't like playing rogues personally, and figured as long as I get the trapfinding (Seeker Oracle), we should be good. So here's my build:

CN Aasimar
Oracle 1 (Seeker) - Nature Mystery, Bonded Animal, Cosmopolitan (UMD+Perception)
Oracle 2
Oracle 3 - Celestial Servant
Oracle 4
Oracle 5 - Extra Revelation (Nature's Whispers +CHA to AC/CMD)
Oracle 6
Oracle 7 - Friend to the Animals (+my CHA to animal Saves), Improved Init
Oracle 8
Oracle 9 - Reach Spell
Mammoth Rider 10

This nets me a Huge Tiger companion of EDL 14...

Mittens:
Huge Celestial Tiger (Magical Beast) (12d10, 126hp)
BAB: +12
CMB: +23 (12[BAB]+9[STR]+2[Size])
CMD: 36 (10+12[BAB]+9[Str]+3[Dex]+2[Size])
AC: 22 (10+4[Natural]+2[Dex]+8[EDL 14]-2[Size]
Resist Cold/Acid/Electricity 15, DR 10/evil
Str: 29 (13+8[Large]+4[EDL 14]+2[Mammoth Rider]+2[Ability Increase])
Con: 20 (13+4[Large]+2[Mammoth Rider]+1[Ability Increase])
Dex: 17 (17-2[Large]-2[Huge]+4[EDL 14])
Int: 6
Wis: 15
Cha: 10
F: +13 (+Oracle CHA)
R: +12 (+Oracle CHA)
W: +6 (+Oracle CHA)

Attacks:
Bite: +19 (2d6+9) +grab
2 Claws: +20 (1d8+9) +grab +rend
2 Rake: +20 (1d8+9)

Feats: WF: Claw, Dazzling Display (Claw), Intimidating Prowess, Hero's Display, Power Attack, Rending Claws

Intimidate Check: +21 (Intimidate to demoralize in 30' as a swift action)
Smite Evil 1/day: +0 to hit, +12 to dmg.

I'll be using spells like Divine Favor and Divine Power to buff Mittens for probably around +5 to hit/dmg during every combat.

I'll also have normal, useful spells (one save or lose targeting each save, etc).

Thoughts? Where could I improve this? My feat selection is pretty open, and so is Mitten's.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-06-17, 03:55 PM
The Archetype isn't a bad choice. You lose one revelation for a bunch of trap-finding goodness and a pretty good level 15 ability.

I'm not a big fan of the Nature mystery, it doesn't have a ton of great options and feels like a poor-man's druid to me. One thing to note, I don't think you have the details of the "Bonded Animal" companion right. Last I looked it was a bonded "mount" with some pretty sever restrictions on what mount you're allowed. If your GM is nice enough to hand-wave and give you a Large Tiger right off the bat then you're ok.

mregecko
2013-06-17, 04:11 PM
The Archetype isn't a bad choice. You lose one revelation for a bunch of trap-finding goodness and a pretty good level 15 ability.

I'm not a big fan of the Nature mystery, it doesn't have a ton of great options and feels like a poor-man's druid to me. One thing to note, I don't think you have the details of the "Bonded Animal" companion right. Last I looked it was a bonded "mount" with some pretty sever restrictions on what mount you're allowed. If your GM is nice enough to hand-wave and give you a Large Tiger right off the bat then you're ok.

You're correct, it's a bonded mount. But the Mammoth Rider lvl 1 ability "Steed" gives you access to a list of other animals.... "This steed functions as a druid's animal companion, replacing any animal companion or mount gained from another class." Effective druid levels stacks as normal.

The list of animals is pretty long, and does include a camel & horse, but the options I liked were the big cat (tiger) and elephant.

Regarding the Nature Oracle... I actually feel like with access to cleric buffs (divine favor/power, righteous might, etc), and the Aasimar boost to effective druid level, it comes out ahead of the druid for animal companions.

The other revelations are a little lackluster... but the +CHA to saves for your animal, and the +CHA to AC/CMD, both aren't too bad.