PDA

View Full Version : Resilient Sphere, Shadow Jaunt?

RandomNPC
2013-06-17, 07:30 PM
So, this is going to come up next game day, and I need to know how it works before then.

Let's say a wizard locks down the big scary fighter with a Resilient Sphere, let's say it's a sphere that fits the size of the creature in it, no extra space, it's not a ten foot sphere around a gnome or anything.

Could a Swordsage jump into the space with a Shadow Jaunt? Or does a force effect stop it? Does the size of the bubble stop it?

I'd call grapple rules with some made up rules for popping into the space, but can they get into the space to begin with?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 07:33 PM
So, this is going to come up next game day, and I need to know how it works before then.

Let's say a wizard locks down the big scary fighter with a Resilient Sphere, let's say it's a sphere that fits the size of the creature in it, no extra space, it's not a ten foot sphere around a gnome or anything.

Could a Swordsage jump into the space with a Shadow Jaunt? Or does a force effect stop it? Does the size of the bubble stop it?

I'd call grapple rules with some made up rules for popping into the space, but can they get into the space to begin with?

No. The Shadow Jaunt line, for some reason, requires Line of Effect to the target location (along with line of sight). Resilient Sphere breaks Line of Effect.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-17, 07:38 PM
I think the part where Shadow Jaunt states "If you attempt to use this maneuver to move into an occupied space..." is pretty explicit. If the 5-ft. space a medium sized creature is planning to go to is occupied then it doesn't work. If there was an unoccupied 5-ft space within the sphere, then Shadow Jaunt would work fine, because Resilient Sphere doesn't specifically block teleportation, and teleportation effects don't 'pass through' the sphere, they pass through the astral plane (or in this case probably the shadow plane), bypassing the sphere (which exists only on the material plane) entirely. Edit: Missed the part about line of sight and line of effect to your destination. Tippy has the right of it - this doesn't work.

RandomNPC
2013-06-17, 08:03 PM
Awesome, thanks Playgrounders!