PDA

View Full Version : Altering the Sorcerer Spell per Day Table ...

Eldonauran
2013-06-17, 07:47 PM
... and the effects of doing so.

It's a very simple edit. At every odd level, starting at level 3 (again at 5, 7, 9, etc), the Sorcerer gains access to new spell slots of the next higher level spells to which he has access. At 3rd level, he would gain 2 spells per days of 2nd level. At 5th level, he gains 2 spells per day of the 3rd spell level. The Sorcerer does not gain a spell known until the unmodified table shows he does. This gives the Sorcerer two new spellslots that he can use to cast lower level spells or use metamagic with, though he does not 'know' the higher level magic spell yet. It should qualify the sorcerer for 'able to cast X-level spells', IMHO.

I can see this alleviating the delayed entry into many prestige classes, making sorcerer a more viable choice. It effectively gives the Sorcerer wizard-esque casting progression, resolves the issue of creating magic items at a slightly higher caster level that a sorcerer experiences and helps the Sorcerer keep an edge with spells per day.

What does the forum think?

*Disclaimer: I rarely allow Tier 1 & 2 characters from prestige classing in my games (my players are in agreement with me, your experience may vary) unless what they are doing will result in a net loss of power. Usually, this involves multiclassing where caster level is lost and even more so with the Mystic Theurge prestige class.

ngilop
2013-06-17, 08:24 PM
SO basically what you are doing is making the wizard nix the bonus feats make it Cha based and spontaneous?

it doesn't really do much except set up for more shenanigans now that he has 'blank' spell slots.

Eldonauran
2013-06-25, 05:03 PM
SO basically what you are doing is making the wizard nix the bonus feats make it Cha based and spontaneous?
Well, no. A wizard with no bonus feats and CHA/Spontaneous casting still get to learn any number of spells. They still have a spellbook and learn higher level spells every odd level.

A sorcerer using the spell per day table I changed still wouldn't 'know' a 2nd level spell till level 4.

it doesn't really do much except set up for more shenanigans now that he has 'blank' spell slots.
Yes, that is the purpose of this post. Feedback into what kind of shenanigans that can take place. While we can keep in mind that I do not allow prestige classing of 1st and 2nd tier classes (unless there is a net loss in power, such as a Mystic Theurge) and early entry tricks become all but useless because of this, I'd like to see what might come out of my houserule.