PDA

View Full Version : i have a lot of ggold but dont know what to do with it

hoborobot
2013-06-17, 09:02 PM
the sorcerer in our group managed to snag around 2 million gp for each PC in our party at level 7. i play a halfling rogue 5 /assassin 2. I honestly have no idea what to spend the gold on other than all the fiend grafts (dm ruled that i can get two legs and both eyes) and i will probably need Blindfold of True Darkness to cover the eye that i am not using at the moment (plus flavor reasons)

My question is this. What else can i blow the money on? im sick of my +1 sling that deals 1d3 damage and a masterwork rapier.

Thetad
2013-06-17, 09:10 PM
How did you get all of that gold in the first place? What kind of campaign do you play in? What kind of monsters do you mostly fight? What would you describe your role in the party as?

ArcturusV
2013-06-17, 09:11 PM
Oh gods... so many things, so many things. I'd honestly start in the Magic Item Compendium, Wondrous Items, and start making a wish list myself of everything you don't already have that would fit your character. Oh, and the weapon crystals that let you do Sneak Attack/Death Attack/Sudden Strike/Etc on Golems and Undead.

Be a boyscout, always be prepared.

Hamste
2013-06-17, 09:16 PM
Buy a hundred million torches

Gildedragon
2013-06-17, 09:16 PM
Build a flying fortress!

Callin
2013-06-17, 09:18 PM
Pay for a gate and a Diplomancer. Get a Wish SLA. Then start a church cult/following dedicated to you. Ascend and profit.

If the DM allows this, shoot me an email so I can come join this game. Because he rocks.

QuintonBeck
2013-06-17, 09:19 PM
As a DM who has spent most of the day looking at loot to potentially dish out and seeing the high prices and regretting I couldn't give out more I have some links for you to peruse since you've definitely got the cash. These are interesting things and cool things mind you, not necessarily optimized blah blah blah, but if you've got the cash why not get some cool stuff right?

Magical (And Mundane) Enhancements for Weapons
http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/weaponsps.shtml

Magical (And Mundane) Enhancements for Armors
http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/armorsps.shtml

Some interesting materials to make things out of for the rule of cool factor, Oerthblood especially I think.
http://melkot.com/arcane/materials.html

Some more weapon enchantment ideas from our own forum.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183276

Also, I just think this is a cool material for weapons. Gives you the plus without actually being magical (and therefore unaffected by antimagic fields) and it just sounds cool. Awesome green blade? Sign me up.
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/magweapdesc.pl?power=Baatorian_Green_Steel&src=mweapontype

A long list of interesting and useful gadgets,lotions, and potions with some good links in the first post as well.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

That's all I got right now, and it's mostly weapon and armor stuff, but you might also want to look into maybe buying land and a fort or something if the game is going to go on a long time. Always nice to have a base of operations. Maybe you can even pay someone to make you your own demiplane but I don't get involved in planar stuff myself so I don't know much about that.

Also, how did your sorceror manage to get so much cash if you don't mind my asking?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 09:25 PM
Well I would make myself into a Shadesteel Golem first off.

Step 1: Buy a Rudimentary Intelligence Shadesteel Golem (probably Advanced to the maximum HD it can have while still remaining Medium).
Step 2: Buy a Skin of Proteus.
Step 3: Buy a Power Stone of True Mind Switch.
Step 4: Buy a scroll of Surge of Fortune.
Step 5: Buy a manifestation of Psychic Reformation.
Step 6: Move around your skills and feats to max Use Psionic Device.
Step 7: Order your Golem to use the Skin of Proteus to take the form of a human.
Step 8: Use Surge of Fortune on the Use Psionic Device check to use your True Mind Switch Power Stone to TMS with the temporarily human golem.
Step 9: Buy another manifestation of Psychic Reformation to put your feats and skills back where you want them.

Step 10: Go adventuring in your new Construct body that is immune to magic, has a 30 ft. perfect fly speed, and has a number of other nifty abilities.

hoborobot
2013-06-17, 09:29 PM
How did you get all of that gold in the first place? What kind of campaign do you play in? What kind of monsters do you mostly fight? What would you describe your role in the party as?

well first of, the dm desided to throw 50 low level clockwork horrors and two silver ones. after we mowed them down we loaded the corpses onto a cart, and went to a city where we just HAPPENED to find a buyer for all the corpses. then our sorcerer bought a candle of evocation and got the three following wishes steal gold from all the dragons in the world, steal 150,000 from all the assassins guilds and a wish for a noble genie. then he wished for 150,000 from all the cities and the other 2 i forget. its actually the first game of d&d we are playing and i believe the dm is going easy on us. well we faced things that are mostly our level and i think i would be the damage dealer if the drunken master messes up or sorcerer runs out of spells.

ArcturusV
2013-06-17, 09:30 PM
Wishing for more Wishes... I've never seen a DM not get insanely evil when someone tries that. :smallconfused:

Gildedragon
2013-06-17, 09:34 PM
well first of, the dm desided to throw 50 low level clockwork horrors and two silver ones. after we mowed them down we loaded the corpses onto a cart, and went to a city where we just HAPPENED to find a buyer for all the corpses. then our sorcerer bought a candle of evocation and got the three following wishes steal gold from all the dragons in the world, steal 150,000 from all the assassins guilds and a wish for a noble genie. then he wished for 150,000 from all the cities and the other 2 i forget. its actually the first game of d&d we are playing and i believe the dm is going easy on us. well we faced things that are mostly our level and i think i would be the damage dealer if the drunken master messes up or sorcerer runs out of spells.

Aaah... you want nondetection, mindblank, and alter self all cast on you ASAP...

Saintheart
2013-06-17, 09:39 PM
Aaah... you want nondetection, mindblank, and alter self all cast on you ASAP...

Yyyyeah, you just managed to tick off literally every dragon, thieves' guild, and city on the face of the planet. Good luck with your spending, you're gonna need it.

hoborobot
2013-06-17, 09:39 PM
Wishing for more Wishes... I've never seen a DM not get insanely evil when someone tries that. :smallconfused:

technically he wished for another wish granter :smallbiggrin: and also promised if another such shenanigan is attempted in the dear futur bad things will happen.

Sith_Happens
2013-06-17, 09:42 PM

...In that case, I'd start with a Hat of Disguise and a Third Eye Conceal.

Besides that, the question isn't "what to buy," it's "what NOT to buy." Just flip through the DMG and Magic Item Compendium, and anytime you find yourself saying "I want that," get that.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 09:45 PM
Leaving aside the unsafe Wishes that should have screwed you over, get a Third Eye Conceal, Weirdstone, Clone, and every other defensive spell or item in the game. Why? Because you are about to die in anything from six seconds to the next week or so.

You have hundreds (if not thousands) of high level spell casters that now want you dead and their gold back. Plus multiple organizations made up of hired killers who also want you dead and have all kinds of juicy blackmail on pretty much every important organization, nation, or individual in the world to call on to pressure said entities into capturing you.

Razanir
2013-06-17, 09:51 PM
Well I would make myself into a Shadesteel Golem first off.

Step 1: Buy a Rudimentary Intelligence Shadesteel Golem (probably Advanced to the maximum HD it can have while still remaining Medium).
Step 2: Buy a Skin of Proteus.
Step 3: Buy a Power Stone of True Mind Switch.
Step 4: Buy a scroll of Surge of Fortune.
Step 5: Buy a manifestation of Psychic Reformation.
Step 6: Move around your skills and feats to max Use Psionic Device.
Step 7: Order your Golem to use the Skin of Proteus to take the form of a human.
Step 8: Use Surge of Fortune on the Use Psionic Device check to use your True Mind Switch Power Stone to TMS with the temporarily human golem.
Step 9: Buy another manifestation of Psychic Reformation to put your feats and skills back where you want them.

Step 10: Go adventuring in your new Construct body that is immune to magic, has a 30 ft. perfect fly speed, and has a number of other nifty abilities.

Step 11) ???
Step 12) Profit

ArcturusV
2013-06-17, 09:54 PM
Hoped you saved a Wish for "Transport me to a place where I could actually find all this stuff". Your DM might screw you out on that. Short of something like Sigil, you're going to be hard pressed to find a marketplace that can move that much product, or at least have the selection you're going to want/need.

big teej
2013-06-17, 09:57 PM
you fething retire and pray to the entire fething pantheon that the epic level adventurers that gold was meant for don't come knocking on your door for it.

to that end, you invest chump change into Restful Heavy Fortification armor, ring, amulet, boots, gloves, and codpiece.

THEN
you build your retirement home somewhere safe.
like sigil.

at least, that's what I'd do... after I finished questioning the DM.

"we have how much?
you're serious?
I disbelieve the illusion."

alternatively. use your money to hire a few hundred gold smiths who turn the gold into statues/jewelry/nifty items thus exponentially multiplying your wealth.

find a way to sigil.
fast.
retire.

alternatively, offer some Being of Godlike Power (like, you know, Asmodeus or Olidamarra) to give you sanctuary in exchange for most of the gold.

Humble Master
2013-06-17, 10:00 PM
Yah, start with magical defenses. Get a scrolls of Planar Binding to get a Nightmare to Astral Projection yourself. Get Mind Blank, True Seeing, Clone, Simulacrum ect. Do whatever the heck you can to make yourself unkillable.

Option two.
1. Buy a scroll of Ice Assassin
2. Make a proxy of a god
3. Have the god give you Divine Rank one
4. Give that divine rank to a random animal (kittens of squirrels are the best)
5. Have the god give you Divine Rank one again
6. Repeat steps 4. and 5. about 100 times.
7. Get the Divine Ranks back from all of your animals.
8. Be a god

Of course that would require that your DM have as many brain cells as a block of tofu.