PDA

View Full Version : Savage worlds targets

Renen
2013-06-17, 09:08 PM
I was wondering if someone can post an easy reference for all the DC's in Savage Worlds? (Such as needing a 4 on a spirit check to get rid of shaken, or 8 to get rid of it and be able to act)

mcbobbo
2013-06-18, 12:21 PM
The default DC for everything is 4. Then there are modifiers.

Sometimes something acts to set a DC, like Parry (calculated value) or a Spellcraft roll (for opposed spells).

In every case, every four 'pips' (dice points) higher gives you an extra benefit known as a raise.

As you noted, a raise on a Spirit check means not only do you recover from being shaken, but you also get to act that turn. On a Fighting check, four or more over the target's Parry means you get an extra d6 with your damage roll.

Are there any special DCs you are curious about?

Raum
2013-06-18, 07:46 PM
I was wondering if someone can post an easy reference for all the DC's in Savage Worlds? (Such as needing a 4 on a spirit check to get rid of shaken, or 8 to get rid of it and be able to act)Technically, the target number is (almost) always 4. The exception is melee combat where the target is your opponent's parry. Modifiers are applied to the roll rather than to the target number.

Yeah, it makes no difference mathematically, but that's the way SW does it. It does mean you probably won't find a list of target numbers. What you can find are lists of various modifiers. Here's one used as a GM Screen (http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/file/view/swdeluxe-gm-screen.pdf). I've seen a few others around, are you looking for something in particular?

Renen
2013-06-18, 07:57 PM
Nothing in particular. I was just for some reason convinced that the DC's are different.

Also, can someone explain to me how stats affect skills?

Say I am climbing a mountain. My climb is a d8 and my STR is d10. What dice do I roll? d8 for climb and d6 for wild die? How does STR affect it?

Raum
2013-06-18, 08:35 PM
Also, can someone explain to me how stats affect skills?The only direct way attributes affect skills are in how easy (i.e. cheap) is it to learn the skill. Indirectly, they'll also affect using items (and so the skill). The most common example are the Strength minimums for melee weapons.

Edit: You'd roll a d8 and a d6* in your example. After having learned the skill, Strength no longer has a direct affect on your Climbing.

*All Wild Cards, including all PCs, roll a d6 in addition to their normal trait die. You take the best of the two rolls.

Renen
2013-06-18, 09:51 PM
So in the event that there's only one skill that depends on a stat, it will be cheaper to just rank up the skill, and completely ignore the stat? (Except STR, as that affects weapon dmg)

Raum
2013-06-18, 10:22 PM
Yes - if that were your only concern. :smallwink:

There aren't really any dump stats in SW. Strength is probably the closest, you don't need much if you don't care about melee combat or carrying much. The other stats are tied to a lot of things you can't do without easily.
- Agility covers the most skills and is commonly used for tricks, leave it low and you'll be trick fodder on the battlefield as well as paying way too much for skills.
- Smarts has the second most skills tied to it and covers all knowledge skills. It's also used for tricks and covers knowledge skills, including common knowledge.
- Spirit is needed to recover from being shaken which is unimportant...if you avoid all conflict. (Hehe, like that's ever happened in an RPG!)
- Vigor, of course, is your toughness and general health.

All of them become prerequisites for various edges.

In short, you'll concentrate more on the attributes central to your character's concept but you won't dump any without giving yourself a significant weakness.

mcbobbo
2013-06-19, 12:48 PM
My players mostly focus on new Edges, Powers and the like for advancements. Also note you can only increase one attribute one die per five advances (Rank).