PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Ray + Starmantle

Maginomicon
2013-06-17, 09:26 PM
Setting aside the fact that destroying the magical weapons your opponents wield when you could get the weapons as loot later is blasphemous crazy-talk, consider the following:

"OMG we found the Dark Lord's Black Sword of Soulraping within the Dark Lord's bedchambers in his Evil Castle! If it leaves this room, surely the Dark Lord will be instantly alerted and a million death traps of death will kill us! What do we do?!"

So...

Starmantle (BoED) + Antimagic Ray (SpC)

If I successfully cast Antimagic Ray on the sword, cast Starmantle on myself, and then have someone strike me with the now non-magical sword, would it destroy the sword? (Afterall, it's not magical for a while.)

Pickford
2013-06-17, 09:35 PM
Yes. (this was too short a response, apparently.)

edit: Yeah, I realized it would interfere with your own casting right after I said it.

Maginomicon
2013-06-17, 09:36 PM
Yes. You could also use AMF.AMF would shut down the starmantle.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-17, 09:39 PM
Just hit the sword with a Dispel magic and follow it up with a Shatter, Disintegrate, or pretty much anything else you want (it is non magical when under the Dispels effects).

Venusaur
2013-06-17, 09:44 PM
AMF would shut down the starmantle.

Extraordinary Spell Aim lets it work just fine.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-17, 09:55 PM
The dispel/supress => shatter works for basically anything that isn't an artifact.

Of course, with a non-artifact item, you could simply whack it until it breaks, just like anything else. It has some hardness, but this usually isn't an issue since adventurers usually have the ability to penetrate it. As long as you aren't under a time constraint, simple smashing will likely be more efficient.