PDA

View Full Version : Exiles of Nerius (3.5)

Virdish
2013-06-17, 09:46 PM
Everything seemed to be business as usual as the lone priest approached the enclave where he would give his report on this Path of the Mother. In his mind it was a simple religion that he saw no reason why it should not be excepted with open arms. He enjoyed his time with the quite people of the sleepy town. A pair of paladins stood on either side of the door. They were fully armored and wore an ornate Electrasteel longsword in a glass scabbard at their hips. Each also held a pole-arm with a wicked blade. As the priest approached the paladins dropped their pole-arms to create an x, blocking his path. Report your business here priest.

“I am brother Cala, reporting as ordered to brief the Enclave on the applicant religion of the Path of the Mother.”

A brief nod was all the communication that came from the paladins to the priest as they lifted the pole-arms to allow Cala through. As he waited for the Enclave to assemble he ran through the questions they were likely to ask him. He had his preliminary report memorized. When the hearing began he was the picture of calm. As he walked out he turned to give a quick bow to the Fathers before walking back to his room on campus.

After he left many of the Fathers seemed apt to allow the new religion to flourish and it was even almost brought to a vote. When the vote failed a quieter member of the group stepped up. Everyone knew this particular Father as a quiet presence that rarely brought information.

“Brothers, are you so easily fooled by the enemies that you can not see a false religion when it is presented to you. I, unlike you, have spent the time in meditation, seeking the will of my benefactor. Hextor has revealed to me horrible knowledge. This Path of the Mother is the worse type of heresy for the seek to raise an elder Daemon to strike the church. I have been assured that swift and final action must be taken against this sect or we will meet with the wrath of the Pantheon as has not been seen since the Blessed Nerius stepped down from the mount. We must eliminate these heathens to the last babe.”

The previously quiet Enclave erupted in voices claiming similar vision and soon it was decided. Velar's fate was sealed. They would be given no chance to denounce their faith, they would be destroyed in the dead of night.

Two weeks later

“Sir, the guards have been eliminated and the men are ready to strike. We will eliminate these heretics once and for all. I promise you there will be no repeat of the Soulsword incident.”

The captain nodded. “Move forward and put the town to the torch, kill any who attempt to flee on site. There will be no mass execution tonight. They will die in their beds.”

And so the bloody work began. Before long the town was burning and screams could be heard as the heretics died.

Clyde
Tonight had not been your night to take the watch and so when the city began to burn you were alseep in your bed. It was a cool night but the chill felt nice on your skin so you left the window to your small cottage open. You hear screams and a whisper in your ear.

“Champion of Torm, your enemies are near. Your soul no doubt screams to meet them in battle but today that is not your fate. You must evacuate as many as you can. 6 will join you. Go!”

Aspen
On the night of the attack you had fallen asleep in one of the backrooms at the Theatre. There had been an after party following the succesfull conclusion of the fall shows. The liquid metal dragon was before you once again as you wake.

“My child, the act has began and the time for your theatrics has come. Velar is in flames, find the 6.”

Sabela
The night was chill but your mastery of your mind (autohypnosis) made it easy for you to pass the discomfort as you slept. All seemed peaceful Hound and Dog perked up and began to growl a deep warning that things were wrong.

Ralstyn
You awake to the smell of smoke. A small whisper tickles your ear but you are far to worried about the inn and the town to notice that right away.

I awoke to the stench of smoke. Fearing that the town had caught fire, I quickly threw on my clothes and ran into the street. I stood for a moment, appalled by the sight confronting me. Rather than a fire-brigade surrounding a burning barn, or some such, I beheld the entire town being consumed by flames and swarming with armored figures bearing torches and swords. Terrified people ran through the streets, and were cut down by the paladins with brutal efficiency. With a sick lurch I saw the temple, where my sister would be. The building had burnt nearly to the ground, and bodies heaped on the blood-soaked earth before it. I staggered into an alley and began vomiting. After a few minutes lying on the ground sobbing, I managed to rise. Swiftly and silently, I made my way back to the inn. On the steps, I saw my mother’s headless corpse. I bit the inside of my cheek as hard as I could, and my mouth flooded with blood. Compared to what I would have to think about if I stopped focusing on the pain, though, it was bliss. I ran down into the cellar with nervous, hurried movements and finally came to a locked chest. I drew the key from a crevice in the stone, and opened the chest with shaking hands. Inside, the mask gleamed dully. I hadn’t been able to get rid of the thing, so I locked it up down here. Yesterday, I would never have considered even looking at it, but I still had a family then. If the myths were true, then this was exactly what I needed. I carefully lifted the mask from its prison and blew the dust off it. I felt fire suffuse my body as I donned the mask. I would have vengeance on those who destroyed my life, in the name of… A sly voice whispered in my ear… Ravana.

A short sentence ruminated in your head. “They have come. You must escape.”

Ceruleaus
You wake in agonizing pain. For a second you are oblivious to it's source but you quickly realize that it is the mark on your back that feels as if it is on fire. The feeling dies quickly and you look around and realize that the room is full of smoke and there is a distinct smell of smoke. A voice whispers to you and you instantly realize it is the Daemon Nyx.
“Ceruleaus the Pantheon has sent it's minions to wipe this town away, run.”

Ceart
You wake to screams coming from outside and a distinct feeling that life is being taken unjustly. Even as you yourself become enraged you feel a distinct, almost psychotic rage emanating from your mark that you can only understand as your God spurring you to motion

“Save who you can Caert, but YOU must escape. Others will aid you. Now go.”

Ael
You awake from an otherwise calm night to the sceams of the dying. You are jolted awake and quickly realize that something is horribly wrong.

eftexar
2013-06-17, 10:32 PM
Startled by the sudden pain, Ceruleaus nearly falls off his bed. After taking a moment to realize what Nyx was saying he rushed over to the window and looked out to the ghastly sight of flames.

An oddity arises though as he notices the library seems to be untouched. He wonders to himself, 'Wonder if the guy on the hill has something to do with it?' Screaming, coupled with the smoke he is now coughing on, shatters his trance.

Realizing most of the inn is probably on fire now he looks down to the ground outside the inn. He mutters, "Two stories, so probably ten to twenty feet," and sighs. "Nothing like lighting a fire under someone to get them moving..."

He jumps out the window and braces himself for the fall.

Tumble[roll0]

Arkanian
2013-06-17, 11:07 PM
"Find the six, find the six," Aspen mutters to himself, as he dons his theatrical clothing. "Damn, I only have four seats in my carriage-- Why is everything on fire?"

And indeed, everything was on fire. Or at least, most things. Aspen finishes donning his clothing and seizes his cane. From what he can see, everyone seems to be running from something. And that, Aspen thinks to himself as he grits his teeth, Would be center stage. Raise Curtain. Taking a moment to give himself magical vision and a bit more of a presence, Aspen immediately sets out to the source of the danger.

He takes care not to be seen as he sets out. It's not due to any cowardice of course. He just wants to make a grand entrance. That's all.

Aspen casts detect magic and beguiling influence on himself.

Hide: [roll0]+2 =9
Move Silently [roll1]+2=6

Apparently Aspen is terrible at stealth. Should probably put some points in that.

White_Drake
2013-06-17, 11:22 PM
Ralstyn's eyes sweep the town, alighting upon the as yet untouched library.
If the library's not yet been put to the torch, that's where they'll be headed. I can make my stand there.
Rastyn swiftly and stealthily moves through the shifting shadows cast by the flames in the direction of the library.
Hopefully I can draw a few of them out into the forest and kill them before making my escape.

Lexin
2013-06-18, 03:10 AM
Ceart collects his equipment as fast as possible, the holy wrath awakening in him. He walks out to the street and see the fleeing people. He follows them looking around trying to find the source of danger (other than fire) and if anyone needs immediate help. (for example is trapped in fire).

"Who dares to kill so many innocent people?" he asks himself quietly, he knew many of them, he lived here for a long time. He will avenge them later... now he needs to save these who are still alive and find others, these who would help him according to Heironeous.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-18, 02:13 PM
((Knowledge (Religion) to figure out who the heck is speaking to me.

[roll0]))

The disgusting stench of smoke filled Clyde's nostrils as he grabbed everything he would need to combat his foes and saves the townspeople. "Six? You mean the Aegis, right?" In the spur of the moment, he figured that any voice helping him to rescue the citizens of the town was better than the people killing them.

"To think..." Clyde said as he exited his cottage and looked up at the banner blowing in the wind. It was the insignia of the Order of the Aegis blowing in the fiery winds: a blue shield with golden wings. He had the same insignia weilded onto his armour. "They weren't even given a chance to renounce their faith this time."

His cape bellowing in the wind, he rose his sword up into the air and filled it with a glowing, heavenly light.

((Using the aasimar's daylight spell-like ability))

This was one of Clyde's more well-known abilities, and would be good for diverting the attention of any paladins in the area, as well as alerting the citizens of this fair town. He immediately saw that the library was not burning. It wasn't the opportune time to be reading, but he thought this would be a good place to rendezvous. He ran directly towards it, not caring how much noise he made. Perhaps he could provide a distraction for the other paladins while the townspeople escaped.

Lexin
2013-06-18, 02:48 PM
Ceart swears quietly when he sees dying people. But he couldn't help them anymore. Paladins were here and for some unknown reason decided to slaughter the whole town. There was no safe place here... but at least he had a better chance of survival in the way opposite to the leader of Aegis.

He joins the stream of fleeing, injured people, hoping that he would find these 'others'. Heironeous never failed him so far... a shame he didn't give him the names, though...

eftexar
2013-06-18, 03:11 PM
Landing safely, and keeping to the darkness, Ceruleaus keeps an eye out for anyone he can help and any dangers along the way.

Knowing he doesn't have much time, to escape, he only helps the few whom he can assist quickly, quietly, and with little effort, on his way to the library.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Perception [roll2]
Perception [roll3]

Lightning Fast
2013-06-18, 03:21 PM
((Perception: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Not sure if the spot/listen bonus for aasimar stacks on those, but I'll assume not.))

Clyde began kicking down doors and rushing people out of their homes, gradually going closer to the flames and impending danger. Best to do this quickly, he thought as he directed people away from the destruction and carnage. "GO, GO, GO!! GRAB ONLY WHAT YOU NEED AND RUN!" He recommended that they bring weapons if they had them, then looked on into the burning landscape of the city for incoming paladins. "Torm help us all..."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-18, 06:05 PM
Ael grabbed her things in the rush out of the tavern. No. This can't be happening. Why can't anything ever go right?!

The library. Ael saw that the library wasn't ablaze and that would likely be where she'd find either the cause or more survivors that needed rescuing. Either way, it was where she needed to go. "Hale, I hope you're alright..."

Snacs
2013-06-19, 06:45 PM
Sleeping outdoors had never bothered Sabela. In fact, it had taken the Teral a number of years to even enjoy the concept of laying down to rest at all. Wrapped up in her Lira-crafted bedroll the cold bothered her little. And with Dog and Hound laying to either side of her, the magic laced into the fabric to keep the chill out was barely necessary.

Like any other night, the small town had quieted early, since many of the town's population worked, and woke early to get to it. Not a cloud was in the sky when she slipped into structured, ordered dreams.

Billows of smoke filled the sky when she woke. Her hands reached out and quieted the two Dogs.

"Easy, Easy" The Ancient Tongue slipped out her mouth quietly as she struggled out of her bedroll and, still sluggish, gathered up her meager belongings into her pack. That done, she set her violet eyes towards town proper.

"Guard." She spoke softly to Hound and Dog, letting them take up spots on either side of her, their breath frosting as she headed towards the town, blinking at the bright lights and smoke this late at night.

Virdish
2013-06-20, 12:09 PM
The dark skies light with an otherworldly crack of lightning and a thunderous boom shakes the walls of the buildings around you. As your vision clears your eyes are drawn to the south hill, and you see the standard of the aegis fall. The large boom seems to have further degraded the burning buildings and many begin to crumble, falling in on themselves.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-20, 03:31 PM
Clyde Soulsword looked to the south hill where he spied the Order of the Aegis engaging their long-time enemies in order to buy the civilians some time. Martyrdom was a heroic and noble act, far greater than any Clyde had ever committed.

He was in a dilemma: help is troops and likely die trying, or aid the civilians in escaping. He thought it over for a moment before coming to a final decision as he ran in the opposite direction towards the library. They were fighters. Warriors. True paladins. It was their duty to make personal sacrifices in the name of the many. Clyde could save more people by helping those his allies had protected than by stalling for more time. He felt as though he should be there with him, fighting the Church with bloodied sword in hand, but the voice in his head had told him otherwise: the same voice who he believed would help him save as many people as possible. Perhaps it was an angel of Torm , come to guide him along the proper path, or Torm himself, speaking to him in a disguised tone.

"Godspeed, you magnificent bastards...", he said as he ran into the library to see if anyone had taken refuge inside of it.

eftexar
2013-06-20, 03:55 PM
Ceruleaus wasn't sure whether he should be impressed by the Order of Aegis for their sacrifice or derisive of their willingness to so easily throw away their lives.

He finally entered the library, likely the last of the group because he took his time sneaking his way there, with the hope that some of civilians he'd helped had also made it there. He mumbled to himself sarcastically, as he stepped through the doorway, "This place doesn't look flammable at all..."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-20, 04:21 PM
"It's not on fire yet. I think that's the most important thing." Clyde said, sighing. "The Aegis was the finest goddamned group of warriors I ever knew, and some of the greatest friends I ever had."

Lexin
2013-06-20, 04:25 PM
Ceart runs after the people and looks for any safe place, hoping that there is at least one building which didn't catch fire so far.

I certainly hope that there is a way to survive this... and that it doesn't include fighting the Paladins. This never ends well...

After a moment he sees that everyone is running towards the library, how exactly was this building spared from the flames, he didn't know... maybe it was a sign?

Ceart hurries to the library, he rushes in and then stops to calm himself a bit and catch his breath.
"So... does anyone has any idea how do we get out of this alive?" he asks in a calm voice after a moment.

Snacs
2013-06-20, 07:35 PM
"I do not know, but if there is fighting at one end, perhaps there will be less soldiers now watching the other side of town." Sabela's voice was unnaturally calm as she slipped in behind Ceart, a hand resting casually on Hound's broad shoulder. The Teral was already dressed for the road, all her belongings neatly wrapped up in her packs.

"It is a better direction than any, yes?" She gave the other Teral in the group a quiet glance. She had sensed him entering the library, one of the reasons she had followed rather than escape.

Ceart Attempting to create Teral Link

eftexar
2013-06-20, 07:46 PM
After a pause to gather his thoughts... "Or we could take out a few of the attacking Paladins. With their armor we could pretend to be one of them, then slip out after offering to take watch."

Ceruleaus, somewhat amused, continues, "And then I'd like to light their supply tents on fire, before we leave, while we're at it."

"Of course, that would be contingent on whether or not their numbers are large enough to go by unnoticed and how well the commander knows his troops."

White_Drake
2013-06-20, 08:10 PM
Ralstyn watches the crowd at the library and debates for a moment before making his entrance while still wearing his mask.
Now there's a plan! Kill a few, torch their tents, and then make good on our escape. Who here can fight?
Although his bloodthirsty grin is concealed, the manic, almost eager tone of his voice can be plainly heard.

Snacs
2013-06-20, 08:44 PM
"I feel somehow that a plan like that would go poorly." Sabela gave a mild shrug of her shoulders, her tone cautious but non-confrontational.

Waiting for the others to give their own suggestions she crouched down, feeding her two large hounds from a small pouch at her belt, cocking her head to listen to the muted noise of the fire outside.

"Though perhaps we should not deliberate too long, yes?"

Lightning Fast
2013-06-20, 08:47 PM
"I once slew two dozen paladins and their captain in order to create a diversion for a group of escaping villagers," Clyde said, swinging his glowing sword back and forth like a pendulum in one hand, "And the more of those bastards I kill, the better. Especially after what they did to my men. Clyde Soulsword: leader of the Order of the Aegis up until their recent demise."

The paladin gazed at the manic man wearing a strange mask and tried to discern what it was.

((Knowledge (Religion) Check on Dat Masque: [roll0]))

He was not able to. "Anyway, I doubt we'll have time for a sneak attack: they'll have already put every man, woman and child to torch by then. We should either fight the paladins head-on, or focus our efforts to saving the villagers."

White_Drake
2013-06-20, 10:14 PM
We could focus on gathering people here in preparation for a mass exodus while some of us harry the paladins.

eftexar
2013-06-21, 12:32 AM
Ceruleaus noticed that the one who called himself Clyde, as well as the tall girl, seemed to be taking the lead. He tentatively inches backward, rescinding himself from the conversation.

As he quietly studies each of those around him, he contemplates the situation, 'I suppose the tall girl might be right. Me, and maybe the crazy one, seem to be the only ones capable of any amount of stealth.'
'I'll have to keep an eye on Clyde though. He seems headstrong and could get us killed if he focuses on what is right, over what works, too much. Fighting or helping civilians any more is likely to get us all killed. At least if escaping isn't concurrent with it.'

'If those paladins are intent on wiping out this town they probably already sent a contingent to circle around and cut off any escape route. Sticking with the numbers is the best thing to do right now, but if simply fleeing, in the opposite direction, doesn't work I'll just have to disappear in the confusion.'

'Still, I need to make sure the group isn't divided if everyone is to have the best chance to escape. I'd rather all of us made it through this alive if possible.'

After finishing his thoughts he finally speaks, "I think the tall one is right. We aren't equipped for stealth anyways." With that he nods at the heavy armor, worn by Clyde and Ceart, before continuing, "But it might be too late to help the villagers any further and still make it out ourselves."

Bluff check just in case anyone wants to notice that his sudden agreement is slightly suspicious.
[roll0]

Batpope Scott
2013-06-21, 04:42 AM
Ael silently walks in during the middle of the conversation, but hears the bit about fighting for the citizen's sake. "If you head out to fight them, I would come along with you." Ael rests her hand on one of her two swords and quietly drums her fingers against the pommel.

Lexin
2013-06-21, 05:26 AM
Sabela
Link accepted.
'Hello sister. I am Ceart Kaan.' he says simply.

"If we try to fight them all we will die just like Aegis. If we run away like cowards, we are as good as dead.
In my opinion we have two choices, one isn't dependent on us: we can ask villagers if they know of any escape routes we could use and which aren't known to outsiders. Maybe some underground passages? Slim chance, but worth asking about.
The other choice: We gather as many as we can and try to fight our way out from the surrounding forces, giving these innocent people at least a chance for survival." says Ceart in a grim tone.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-21, 05:34 AM
Ael thinks, wondering if she had heard of any such passage in her time here. Perhaps it was mentioned to me...

She keeps quiet as she tries to remember.
EDIT: Messed up rolls, will be in OOC

Virdish
2013-06-21, 12:45 PM
A quiet old man slowly steps out of the back of the room. He is short and walks with an obvious limp though he carries no cane or other walking device. He has a short, well trimmed, white beard and his skin is so wrinkled that it looks like he could easily be around 100 years old. Anyone who has been in town for any amount of time would quickly realize that he was the librarian. He was the center of a lot of attention. The previous Librarian had died shortly before the forming of The Path and this old man had come to town, limp and all, and offered to fill the role. He was a strange old man but he was the best Librarian this town had ever had. He had been among the first to convert to The Path and was one of it's most devoted followers.

"This moment was inevitable though I hoped it wouldn't come so soon. There was so much more that needed to be taught... well perhaps another time. For now you all need to leave. There is an escape tunnel that was built before we sent to the Church for a Priest. Please follow me."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-21, 02:15 PM
"... And you didn't show this to the citizens?" Clyde said, mumbling, "Why should we go with you?"

Lexin
2013-06-21, 02:18 PM
"I knew it. There is always a secret passage. Does it lead far enough, or should we expect trouble on the other end?" asks Ceart after a while.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-21, 02:33 PM
Ael crosses her arms and rolls her eyes at the overly suspicious man.

"We should go with him because our other option is to march against a wall of steel. Please, librarian, we must hurry to get the survivors out."

Snacs
2013-06-21, 02:35 PM
"Because the rest of the town is burning down around us, and a secret escape route is not very secret if you tell everyone, no?" The Teral nods politely to the Old Man...though she is somewhat unnerved by the way he had avoided detection by them all...including Hound and Dog.

Deciding that discretion was better than interrogation she simply nodded politely to the Librarian, moving to follow him without another word. Hound and Dog flanked her closely, ears perked and panting.

Virdish
2013-06-21, 02:38 PM
The grizzled old man nods to Sabella.

"The old Teral is right. The citizens couldn't know about this because of the very situation we find ourselves in right now. You know how people are, they talk. Even when they don't realize that they are giving things away they are. We could not risk that someone would not let the word slip to the priest that was here. It by necessity had to be kept a secret. Do not think though that we were not prepared. The citizens knew the possibility of an attack. And we chose the Library because of it's location. The Church is to the southeast, the paladins could not have expected us to have a strategic position because we are simple citizenry, therefore we knew they would attack from the hill, giving themselves a vantage point. This meant that the library would be hit last and thus an obvious choice for retreat. The Mother does not like lies but we mere mortals must sometimes make compromises for the safety of our own. Choose to come with me or not Clyde Soulsword, the choice is yours. If you stay you can join your new order amongst the dead. Come with me and you have a chance to retaliate."

The old man would then look around at the small group and the citizens who had escaped with their lives. Some were so haggard that it looked like they would fall over dead with a strong gust of wind.

"The tunnels are long but I am not sure if we should be expecting trouble. I would prefer it if those of you that were able to fight would form a vanguard at the front. I can lead from the middle."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-21, 02:54 PM
Clyde sighed, "I merely think it's selfish to prevent public access of the escape route in order to preserve the safety of a few select individuals. I shall take point." Clyde held his glowing sword up above his head to provide the group with a bright light. "This should last at least another 20 minutes. Let's go."

With his other hand, Clyde took a small piece of cloth out of his pocket. It was adorned with the crest of the Aegis. He looked at it for a brief moment, then swiftly tucked it back into his pocket. There will be time to mourn their losses later.

eftexar
2013-06-21, 03:08 PM
Ceruleaus just nods his head in agreement to the man, thinking that 'Even if I do agree with Clyde, that the old man is suspicious, he seems to know what he is doing and we really don't have the choice to pick and choose right now. But there's still some concern with this plan...'

He speaks up, "We should cover our tracks as well. If the library doesn't burn they might follow our passage, so we should leave the place aflame. Unfortunately I don't have anything to start one."

Lexin
2013-06-21, 03:27 PM
"Let's just leave it. It will catch fire on its own. Let's go now, I will go second." says Ceart tired with all the death he witnessed today. He unsheathes his sword as well and follows Clyde.
"I am Ceart." he adds after he comes closer, it might be important to know each other names during the battle.

White_Drake
2013-06-21, 03:45 PM
Ralstyn stares at Ceruleaus in shock.
Burn the library? A center of knowledge and enlightenment? If we are forced to such measures, we are little better than the beasts responsible for the destruction we are all witness to tonight.
He turns to look at the elderly man.
Can you show me to the most valuable texts, that we might attempt to save them? Much as I detest the thought, this building will likely have seen it's end ere the night's close.

Lexin
2013-06-21, 03:54 PM
"Losing the library is a terrible thing, but now we need to focus on saving lives, not books. We don't have much time. Paladins are... very efficient in their duty." says Ceart in a sad and tired voice.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-21, 05:13 PM
"Ceart is right about needing to leave. I am Ael, by the way."

White_Drake
2013-06-21, 05:44 PM
Sorry, I prefer mead.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-21, 05:51 PM
"First a scholar pining for soon to be lost knowledge and now a comedian! Is there nothing you can't do?" Sarcasm heavy in her voice, Ael shows her impatience with a sigh and a slight tapping of her foot.

Virdish
2013-06-21, 06:14 PM
The old man simply shook his head and walked behind the desk of the library. He took a minute and appeared to study the books. He then seemed to find the one he was looking for and touched the spine. With a quick word in the ancient language the books seemed to shimmer and then cease to exist.

"This way ladies and gentlemen. Once we are safely within the chambers the library will collapse. Sadly we don't have time to save any of the extrapolation on the Mother's Writ."

Snacs
2013-06-21, 06:48 PM
"Sabela." The Teral spoke her name as she moved to joining the other adventurers up front, Dog and Hound shadowing her footsteps with breath huffing at the dust-laden library air.

Stepping up besides Clyde and Caert, she nods to the Paladin specifically.

"For what it is worth, I do not disagree with you on keeping the escape path a secret. Though I see little good in arguing about it at this point."

As she followed hte Man to the entrance she'd grab at random a half dozen books as she traced the shelves, shoving them into her pack with a glance at Raslyn and Ael trading jibes. Shrugging, she'd follow the Old Man again. Perhaps they would be good reading material, and some day she would leave them at another library. Either way, it did not matter if the human saw.

CaertI believe you are far too young to be my sister, but well-met anyway. As well as can be assumed under the circumstances.

OOC
Letting random chance/DM's discretion on what books Sabela took with her..

eftexar
2013-06-21, 07:30 PM
Ceruleaus smirks at the masked man's joke before responding, "Ceruleaus." He then follows the older man's lead.

White_Drake
2013-06-21, 11:30 PM
Come now, surely that's no surprise? Knowledge is the basis of humor, as it is the basis of all things. A quick wit and a keen mind are inextricably linked, as I'm certain you understand. Besides,
he said, shifting to a more serious tone,
laughter is a shield against dark times, and it is wise of us to take shelter when it presents itself.
He glanced to the shelves and grabbed a couple choice novels to stow in his bags.
Still, it is undeniable that we must escape and regroup if we are ever to eliminate those vermin,
Ralstyn gestures vaguely out towards the burning city and those responsible for it,
and we are fortunate to have such a route of egress available. I am ready to depart.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-22, 12:18 AM
Clyde smirked and descended into the passage. "No sense in lollygagging any further," he said to his new allies as they continued on, "... Don't suppose any of you are interested in joining the Aegis, eh? A few positions just opened up. Six, actually."

"... And if you don't mind me asking, what sort of mask is that?"

White_Drake
2013-06-22, 12:34 AM
Ralstyn glances towards Clyde and addresses his query.
A scary one. Or at least I certainly hope it is; I'll be dreadfully put out if all those paladins start laughing instead of screaming when they see it.

Lexin
2013-06-22, 03:39 AM
Sabela
"I am certainly not your sister and am too young to be your brother. It is a way to greet someone I learned from Narzuli, It thought I would try it here..." *mental sigh*

Ceart glances at the mask "I don't think they would run away from just that." he says and follows Clyde into the passage.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-22, 10:01 AM
Ael shakes her head as she walks to follow the others. "You're certainly something."

When Clyde asks about joining an order of knights, Ael grins at him "I think I'll decline, field plate never was my style. I'd be glad to help you if your goals coincide with mine, however."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-22, 03:04 PM
"If your goals involve defending the people from the Church's false paladins and putting an end to the senseless slaughter of civilians," Clyde responded, "Then we should get along fine. Heavy armour not required."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-22, 03:08 PM
The smile fading from her face, Ael looks away from Clyde as she picks up a quicker pace. "At this point, I'm more concerned with punishing those responsible for ruining my life."

White_Drake
2013-06-22, 03:42 PM
Ralstyn inclines his head towards Ael.
That, at least, is one point upon which we may agree.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-22, 06:22 PM
"Umm... Who ruined your life, exactly? The paladins?" Clyde looked away from Ael and Ralstyn with a tinge of guilt in his eyes.

White_Drake
2013-06-22, 06:54 PM
Ralstyn slowly turned to Clyde and spoke with barely controlled rage.
No, the other order of fanatics that burned our home town to the ground and slaughtered everyone we ever loved.

Virdish
2013-06-22, 07:32 PM
As the words draw from Ralstyns mouth the old man waves a hand, glowing with magical energy and around you the walls shake and dust fills the tunnels. A large explosion can be heard from seemingly all around.

"The only major risk in the plan is that explosion. It may lead them to us. Hopefully enough will be concentrated elswhere." Said the old man

Lightning Fast
2013-06-22, 07:36 PM
"I wasn't talking to y-..." Clyde stopped himself. Best not dig himself any further. "I'm sorry I brought it up." The paladin sped up a bit, not wanting to look at the people whose families he'd likely helped kill at some point.

"I wouldn't worry about the explosion: I'm sure the sound will carry. Let's just focus on getting to the other end of this thing. So... Any of you wake up to an ambiguous... thing whispering in your ear?"

eftexar
2013-06-22, 08:29 PM
Ceruleaus, who had been keeping quiet, cringed at Clyde's question. He knew what was talking to him, even if he had never seen her clearly, and didn't particularly want to reveal that kind of information.

"So, is it a good idea for none of us to be in the back?," he asked attempting to change the subject, "because, if we get ambushed somehow..."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-22, 10:09 PM
Ael would have answered, but Ralstyn's answer was succinct. "I wouldn't imagine they would check the library." Her voice turns to ice "They have homes to burn down."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-22, 11:17 PM
Clyde cleared his throat. "... So... Where are you all from?" he said in an attempt to change the subject. Perhaps it was the death of the Order, but a certain degree of sympathy for the naive paladins who blindly followed the Church's orders began to fester within him. Perhaps it had something to do with that he was one of those paladins once. That it was him holding the torch not so long ago, acting upon the wishes of the puppet master that was the Church.

eftexar
2013-06-22, 11:43 PM
Ceruleaus, ready for the more innocuous conversation, replies, "My family traveled across the world trading goods, so I don't really have a place to call home. I suppose I spent a considerable amount of time in UnGarog though."

Even as he answers the question though, it is easy to notice a bit of sadness in his voice.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-23, 12:24 AM
"(Narzal)I'm sorry to hear that," Clyde said. His grammar in the feral language was flawless, but his accent was severely lacking.

eftexar
2013-06-23, 12:49 AM
Ceruleaus recognized the language easily, even though he didn't understand it, and visibly flinched as he heard it.

"I actually don't know the language," he sighs before continuing, "I was, uh, preoccupied with other things at the time..."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-23, 11:03 AM
Ael looks over at the flinching man and says "I spent time in UnGarog as well. How long ago were you there?"

eftexar
2013-06-23, 12:22 PM
"I left a little less than a year ago," he responds, "but I was there for about three or four."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-23, 03:17 PM
"I missed you by another ten years, so the country was probably a little different. To answer the question posed, I started out in Lira lands and traveled a lot from there. This is the closest I've had to a home."

Virdish
2013-06-23, 07:33 PM
A light begins to glimmer in front of your party and the obvious red flicker of fire can be seen streatching the walls. A large Narzul steps out of a twist in the tunnel, flanked by three human warrior. And where do you think you are going. Clyde Soulsword!

Lightning Fast
2013-06-23, 07:48 PM
"I can tell you where my sword's going if you don't step aside," Clyde responded, gripping his blade in two hands and stepping to the front of the group, "You know what I did at the execution, and that was all alone. You have one chance; run, or I'll paint these tunnels red with your blood."

Intimidation![roll0]

My "Never Outnumbered" skilltrick should allow me to intimidate all three at once.

White_Drake
2013-06-24, 01:52 AM
Ralstyn glances towards Clyde before falling into a fighting crouch.
Friends of yours? Oh, this is gonna be fun!
Initiative: [roll0]

Batpope Scott
2013-06-24, 09:51 AM
"Why must all of the warriors I meet be the troublesome ones..." Ael silently draws her swords, ready to battle.

Initiative [roll0]

Snacs
2013-06-24, 01:18 PM
[Initiative roll] [roll0]

"They seem to know who we are at least. Or, one of us." The Teral cast a sidelong glance at Clyde, answering Ael for him.

"Because war is a troublesome concept. Those that practice troublesome things tend to attract it." Hands lifted from the backs of Hound and Dog. The two Mastiffs began to growl, low and deep in the dark tunnel.

Otherwise she carried no weapon, her expression serene.

Caert
[OOC: That was operator error on my part, it'll teach me not to post late at night before bed-time:P. That should have read 'too old to be your sister', essentially:P I don't think telepathy has slip of the tongues though...]

Lightning Fast
2013-06-24, 01:31 PM
"I wouldn't call them friends, exactly." Clyde responded, his tone of voice fiercely serious, "So? What's it gonna be? The four of you against all of us?"

Initiative![roll0]

That last roll was for Intimidate, not initiative. XD

Virdish
2013-06-24, 06:35 PM
One of the underlings stepped out from behind his Leader and drew his blade. He smiled a twisted smile.

"You will bleed Soulsword."

His long sword swung out, seeking Clyde.

[roll0]

In case of a hit

[roll1]
Initiative breakdown

Paladin2
Sabela
Ralstyn
Caert
Ael
Ceruleaus
Paladin 3
Clyde
Paladin 1
Paladin Boss

Snacs
2013-06-24, 07:03 PM
The moment the Paladin attacked Clyde Sabela reacted. She made no motions, shouted no words, nor drew a weapon. Yet the darkened tunnel was suddenly starkly bright, throwing shadows into sudden relief against the wall. Four large spirals of electricity throwing sparks simply appeared before Sabela and streamed out towards the paladins, hissing angrily. A moment later, Dog and Hound respond to her spoken command, bounding forward after the missiles towards their new 'prey'.

Manifesting Energy Missile, choosing electricity and pumping 1 extra point into it. Paladins get a reflex save for half-damage. Save DC is 18(15 + 1 for augment + 2 for choosing electricity) Each does 4D6 damage

Head Paladin:
[roll0]
Paladin 1:
[roll1]
Paladin 2:
[roll2]
Paladin 3:
[roll3]

Hound and Dog will move and attack the closest Paladin.(They try to flank if that doesn't put them in the path of the other Paladins, if they're able too just add +2 to their attacks:D, unsure of exact positioning )

Hound:
Attack
[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]

Dog:
Attack
[roll6]

Damage
[roll7]

Power Points : 23-4 = 19 left over.

Virdish
2013-06-24, 07:12 PM
The Paladin that had rushed to the front drops in a sickening collapse with the stink of charred flesh. The shaken Paladin who had not spoken also falls to the floor, still buzzing with electricity.

White_Drake
2013-06-25, 02:25 AM
As the blackened paladins fall to the ground, Ralstyn snarls and leaps forward at the leader. His teeth lengthen into razor-sharp fangs, and his nails form into wicked claws as he closes with his enemy.

Lexin
2013-06-25, 10:17 AM
"So you are one of these murderers? Let's see how confident you will be when I do this..." says Ceart in a calm voice, already half in the magic-controlling trance.

[Ancient Tongue] "Bind him."

Hold Person on Paladin Boss
DC 16 will negates

Virdish
2013-06-25, 01:47 PM
The lead Paladin shrugs off the magical bindings.

"I am Captain Delar Silver, your magic is useless to bind me."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-26, 03:42 PM
"Let's end this quickly."

A four long strides towards her opponent, two drawn blades, one thrust of a rapier to go through the chest.

I'm taking a move action to get up near the Captain, a free action to draw my blades from moving, and a standard action to attack. My Strategy Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Close Quarters Fighting. I'm using Combat Expertise to take -2 off my attack roll to add 2 to my AC, making it 19 and adding 1d6 to my attack thanks to Deadly Defense.

[roll0] To-Hit
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2] Rapier Damage
[roll3] Deadly Defense
[roll4] Critical Damage

eftexar
2013-06-26, 07:28 PM
Ceruleaus draws Mourning Glory, blade shimmering as the night sky though it emits no light, from the sheathe on his belt.
Then his purple eyes gleam for a second and the nearby shadows billow and spiral at a single point, in front him, before lashing out and streaking towards the nearest foe.

Quick Draw (draw weapon as free action)

Invoke Mystery: Spear of Nyx (Su); [rollv]1d6+6[rollv] nonlethal damage;
Notes: Touch Attack to hit ([roll0]), SR applies, x2 crit on 20

Note: He only provokes an AoO, when invoking a mystery, from those who succeed on a spot check, DC 17, to notice. If the are distracted then they take a -5 penalty to their check.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-27, 02:55 PM
(OOC: Sorry it took a while, I've been busy taking a summer course.)

A glint of light appeared in Clyde's left eye as he singled out his target, the light around his weapon beginning to grow brighter. He charged towards Captain Delar Silver, blade held high in the air behind his right shoulder. "Captain Delar Silver, your judgement day has come..."

Move action to move beside Ael, Standard to smite attack Captain Silver. Activating Law Devotion for +3 to attack rolls for one minute.

Power Attack 3 (3 off of attack roll, +6 to greatsword damage)

Attack Roll[roll0]
Confrirm Crit?[roll1]
Greatsword Damage[roll2]
Smite Damage: 9

... And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is a natural 20.

2(9 + 14) = 46 damage total

"NOW YOU DIE!"

Virdish
2013-06-27, 07:16 PM
The captains eyes widen for just a second as he seems to realize that this was the moment he would die. A sickening crunch and Clyde's sword went through the thick metal of the armor and tore through skin, leaving a deep gash and pool of blood. The final member of the opposite side falls to his knees, shaking, terrified of the lethal party.

"Please don't kill me."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-27, 07:53 PM
Clyde extended his arm out to his side in order to block the rest of the traveling party, then approached the quivering paladin. "You're naive and stupid. So stupid that you don't know what you're doing is wrong."

Clyde shook his head in disgust. "Get out of here. Think about the people you've killed and the sins you've committed. And so help me Torm, if you go back to work for those murderers, the Church, the next time we meet..." Clyde pointed his blade at the paladin before him, "You'll find yourself with my sword lodged in your chest. And never forget; a true paladin believes in mercy."

Snacs
2013-06-27, 08:07 PM
As Clyde spoke Sabela called her hounds to heel, stroking the sides of their muzzles and scratching behind ears.

"I have a better idea."The Teral interjects before hte terrified Paladin can make good on his escape. Walking up besides Clyde she crouches down to be eye-level with the shaken young man.

"You will wait here a while after we pass, then you may leave. If any ask, you were struck early in the fight and knocked unconscious. This is the best option, no?" The Teral's violet eyes were neither friendly nor vicious as she nodded, stepping past Clyde and the shaken paladin, crouching down to begin industriously search the closest downed Paladin, casually taking anything worthwhile to add to her pack.

OOC: Looting! I can roll search if you'd prefer^^

White_Drake
2013-06-27, 08:07 PM
Ralstyn approaches Clyde.
So the Aegis is moving away from conversion work?

Lightning Fast
2013-06-27, 08:26 PM
"The Aegis already has six new members: whether they want a part in it or not." Clyde smiled, looking down at the man in front of him, "Perhaps after you learn the true aspects of paladinhood, we shall meet again. You may heal your comrade back to consciousness, then do as the Teral says."

"Check the captain thoroughly," Clyde said to Sabela as he turned to her, "He may have written orders on him."

Snacs
2013-06-27, 10:16 PM
"Do not include me in your idea of the Aegis reborn Clyde. I care little for religious and political arguments. Whether you are Paladin or"The Teral paused for a moment as she flipped the slain Paladin leader over to continue her search. "Something else."This time her eyes swept over both Clyde...and the Old Man of the Path of the Mother waiting with the other few refugees behind them.

Looking back down at her work the Teral continued on more quietly.

"I have seen too many of such sorts."

OOC: calling dibs on delicious moneys, a weapon that a Psion can use, and making sure to nab whatever rings/amulets/jewelry the Paladins are wearing. Ignoring armor and such of course because she cna't use it at all:D

Virdish
2013-06-27, 10:24 PM
The man sheepishly nods through the whole thing almost at a sprint when he is stopped by the strange teral. He slowly slinks back to his comrades. When he hears Soulsword tell him he can heal his comrade he blinks and stammers.

"I'm nnnnot a f f f full member of the order sir. I couldn't heal no one sir. I won't be no trouble though. I'll stay right here. Ol' Joe there aught ta be fine."

Watched the other pull the gear and other belongings off of the others and he quickly offered up his own gold.

"Please don't take my weapon sir. It was me granda's afore mine. Ya know how it is when you get a sword what's been passed down so far. Me mum would kill me dead iffn I show up without dat blade."

Treasure
+1 longsword (dead paladin)
half plate
Heavy wooden sheild

cold iron longsword (passed out paladin)
half plate
Heavy wooden shield

Electrasteel greatsword (Paladin Leader) <Ael will automatically recognize the Electrasteel as will Clyde, and the Terals. The others may make a knowledge (religion), (local), craft (arms), or prof (blacksmith) to identify.
Properties
+1 atk/dmg
+2d6 lightning dmg once per day
+1 Mithral Fullplate
60 gold

Lightning Fast
2013-06-27, 11:06 PM
"If you distrust me because of my former affiliation with the Church," Clyde began, "I don't blame you. I've done things no sane man would be proud of. I was naive, and still naivety is no excuse. Still, you've got a talent: one that I'm sure would be useful for protecting the people of Eridia from the Església: something I've made the Aegis' prime objective. I care not for religious arguments myself. Frankly, many people see it as an excuse to commit atrocities against one and other. I myself couldn't care less who you do or don't worship. I leave you with the offer, though," Clyde said, glancing at his fellow warriors, "And that goes for all of you."

Clyde turned to the fearful paladin and smiled a surprisingly friendly smile. "By all means, keep your sword. I'd not rob you of a family heirloom if it were used to slay a thousand tyrants."

The paladin examined the captain's armour intently.

AW JEEZ WHO DO WE KNOW WHO CAN USE A GREATSWORD AND FULLPLATE.

... In all seriousness: Do you mind if I take the armour, Lexin?

eftexar
2013-06-27, 11:39 PM
Ceruleaus sighs before speaking, "If we are leaving him armed and he can't heal his friend I don't think it wise to leave him conscious. Mercy and naivete are too different things."

With that his purple eyes gleam for a second and the nearby shadows billow and spiral at a single point, in front him, before lashing out and streaking towards the man.

Should I, or would it be fine, if I just delete my previous post since it wasn't factored into combat anyway?

Invoke Mystery: Spear of Nyx (Su); [roll0] nonlethal damage;
Notes: Touch Attack to hit [roll1], SR applies, x2 crit on 20
I believe another +2 is added since he is technically prone

Note: He only provokes an AoO, when invoking a mystery, from those who succeed on a spot check, DC 17, to notice. If the are distracted then they take a -5 penalty to their check.
If anyone wishes to stop him from knocking the guy unconscious they have to spot his mystery being cast, so... yeah.

If it misses, or doesn't deal enough damage, he'll just fire few more since they can be fired at will. I figure it'll save posts to just handle it that way ahead of time.

White_Drake
2013-06-27, 11:43 PM
I would like to overthrow the paladins myself, and will aid those who seek to do so, but I'm uncertain as to whether I seek to join an order.

Guys, it's mithril armor. Obviously it's for the sneaky party member. I don't really need any of that stuff, so it's up to the rest of you to divvy it up.

Virdish
2013-06-28, 12:00 AM
The final paladin falls to the ground in a slump.

strange old man grunts and says "Well that didn't seem all that hard. You six make a pretty good team."

The citizens all seemed to look at the party with a sense of awe. They seemed to leave room for them and those members of the party who had once been just another member of the society now seemed to be lifted to the status of a local hero.

"Well as much as I would love to stand around and gawk we need to be moving on." The old man said matter of factly. The rest of the trip out of the tunnels would be uneventful.

Feel free to do anything you need to do before continuing on.

Lexin
2013-06-28, 04:34 AM
"That went fast... and it will teach me to try and Immobilize paladins instead of simply hitting them... Ehh.
As for Aegis membership... I am not too opposed, but let me think about it first." says Ceart and walks to one of the fallen paladins and picks up his sword.
"This one looks better than mine..."

Lightning Fast feel free to take the armor, mine gives me the same bonuses as this one would...

But I would take the longsword, if nobody minds, it is a slight upgrade.

Do we take half-plates, to sell them?

Lightning Fast
2013-06-28, 09:07 PM
Clyde gathered up the mithril armor and the greatsword and loaded them into his pack. "That's all I'll be needing... damn... this pack's getting heavy. This armor will need some repairs... the sword, on the other hand..."

Clyde exchanged his current sword for the new, electrasteel blade. "Electrasteel. Great stuff. Expensive, though. Definitely better than my sword."

Snacs
2013-06-28, 10:08 PM
Ignoring the arms and armor the others took, the Teral simply cut belt pouches and coin purses from belts, sifting through the assorted coinage with an easy motion. Taking roughly a third of it, she tossed the rest of the purse towards Ael.

"Take what you wish and pass it to the others."Without another word the Teral straightened and sauntered towards the Old Man and the still watching villagers. Eschewing the ancient figure, she carefully passed out her part of the money to the other refugees. All the while Hound and Dog trailed stiff-spined at her sides, tails wagging languidly.

"Perhaps we should leave now? There may be more than one patrol."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-30, 09:27 PM
Ael ties the bag to her belt, making sure it won't fall.

"I'll dole out coin after we get out of here. I wouldn't want to waste time while there are murderers about."

The girl shrugs after her comment and continues "Well, murderers that are looking for us anyways."

Virdish
2013-06-30, 10:28 PM
The open air was a nice relief after the long walk in the tunnels. In the distance the flames of the town could still be seen but by now it was but a flicker compared to the roar of the previous inferno.

"What do we do now?" echoed many of the voices from the crowd.

The old man looked around at the group and a sadness filled his eyes. "We will go underground. The Path must not die but it is obvious that the world is not ready for the truth that it contains."

He would then seem to take on a steely resolve and look to the ragtag group. "Seems most of you are intent on striking against the church. The Mother revealed a mystery to me. There is a weapon on the Holy Mountain that could bring the Eglesia to it's knees."

Lightning Fast
2013-06-30, 10:47 PM
"... So," Clyde said, sounding somewhat skeptical, "What sort of weapon is this?"

((Rolling to see if Clyde knows anything about this weapon.

Knowledge (Religion) check: [roll0]
Knowledge (Nobility/Royalty) check: [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) check: [roll2]))

Batpope Scott
2013-06-30, 10:53 PM
Ael watches the old man as Clyde questions him. A little odd that the beneficent Mother would forward a cause of vengeance.

((I'll roll for knowledge of the Holy Mountain and what it's like in the surrounding areas and on the mountain itself. Also using religion and history to figure out what it's Holy for.

[roll0] Geography
[roll1] History
[roll2] Local
[roll3] Nature
[roll4] Religion ))

eftexar
2013-07-01, 12:58 AM
Ceruleaus, as an outsider, is unaware of the mother's teachings and doesn't notice anything odd about vengeance. Still, he wonders why the old man is so eager to push them towards pursuing the church before they can even get a breather.

He ponders the situation in his mind, 'While what happened here angers me, taking up arms against such a powerful force, even with a holy weapon, is dangerous. Possibly suicidal even.'

'Not only that, but this man seems to have already known this was going to happen. Why didn't he prevent it? Or was this his way of recruiting us? And how much more does he know than he is telling us...'

See if he knows any relevant information:
Religion [roll0]
Planes [roll1]

Snacs
2013-07-01, 05:24 PM
With a raised eyebrow Sabela watches the survivors..though her look at the Old Man is less than believing.

"I've never found a weapon that brings peace."Is all she'd say, her voice small and quiet among the ragtag groups various responses.

Batpope Scott
2013-07-02, 03:41 AM
"You refer to the Holy Mountain where the pantheon appeared to Nerius? The one that would require us to weather the storms and chill of the passes or the long trek through a desert to get to?" Ael's tone stresses how dangerous this trip sounds to her; obviously insinuating that she thinks a journey of this length is foolhardy when the only proof is a vision had by an old man.

Virdish
2013-07-02, 12:04 PM
"You refer to the Holy Mountain where the pantheon appeared to Nerius? The one that would require us to weather the storms and chill of the passes or the long trek through a desert to get to?" Ael's tone stresses how dangerous this trip sounds to her; obviously insinuating that she thinks a journey of this length is foolhardy when the only proof is a vision had by an old man.

"Indeed I mean exactly that mountain and yes it is a long hard trip from here but it is well worth it. What rests at the top of that mount is the only thing that has the power to bring down the church. You choose what you will do with this knowledge, I have done the duty given me by the mother. You must do what you feel is right."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-02, 12:50 PM
Ael bites her lip as she thinks for a moment before looking at the ragtag band of would-be heroes. "If there were to be a weapon like what he describes, I could see why it would be on the Holy Mountain. No more appropriate place for the church-ending weapon than where the church began. As much as I hate to say it, if we plan on striking a blow against the church, there are multiple reasons why going there would be beneficial to that cause."

Lexin
2013-07-02, 03:28 PM
"What kind of weapon is that? I am not one to avoid violence if it is needed... but I won't support a plan which involves mindless slaughter of the Church... they may be wrong, but it doesn't make them evil, at least not all of them." says Ceart in a quiet voice.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-02, 03:55 PM
"You've taken the words right out of my mouth, Ceart," Clyde added, "and I weep for the poor naive souls who're sent to kill the innocent by bitter old men. However, if there truly is no other course of action, then I'm afraid the ends justify the means. I will go. Whatever action I can take to protect the land from the Church. My heritage gives me resistance to both ice and lightning, which should make the hazards less troublesome. But first..." Clyde examined the armor in his pack. "We need to find a place to fix our gear. Or at least I do."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-02, 05:08 PM
Ael scowls at the two defending the church "You mean 'rightfully bitter' and 'innocent because we can't prove they have done anything individually' right? You insult this man by suggesting that what he speaks of is wrong, especially when he hasn't claimed that we have to kill anyone, and more so with the tone you take with a man who has, quite frankly, just helped save yourself and all of the people here."

Crossing her arms and keeping a glare at the two of them. Her tone is harsh as she snidely puts emphasis into her argument "Maybe the moral pedestal is a little easier to stand on when your home hasn't been destroyed recently."

eftexar
2013-07-02, 07:30 PM
Ceruleaus, hoping to break up the argument before it begins, steps in, "Perhaps we should go regardless of our opinions. After all, we have a long way, or should I say time, before we have to decide. And even if we retrieve the weapon, that doesn't mean we actually have to use it."

He thinks to himself, 'I would rather point out that naivety isn't an excuse for their actions, at least not when it comes from willful ignorance, but extending this argument isn't in our favor since we are likely still being pursued.'

Lightning Fast
2013-07-02, 08:07 PM
Clyde stubbornly ignored Ceruleaus and turned to face Ael. "And it must be easy to see things in black and white when you've never met the men on the other side," Clyde rebutted, his stare cutting through Ael like daggers, "And in case you've forgotten, my home was destroyed, my friends were killed, and the Aegis was shattered. That was after I started the Aegis: I was dedicated to fighting the Church before they even knew your home existed, not out of vengeance, but because I knew what was right. Do not question my devotion simply because I have empathy. After all, only a beast who kills without remorse. Say what you will about those in charge, bitter men who I would agree are beyond saving, but the paladins are not beasts. Not all of them, anyways. I'm not defending the Church, but I am defending the numerous people who serve it out of blind devotion: people like the paladin who surrendered to us in the tunnels. Not innocent, but not evil."

Clyde turned away from her and gave one last sarcastic remark: "Forgive me if I'm wary of this weapon we know almost nothing about: it's merely that most weapons I know of are made for killing, often indiscriminately. I'll assume your pistol feeds orphaned children, hmm?"

Clyde sighed and shook his head. "I apologize. I must learn to control myself. I say we search for the weapon after a short rest in the nearest town."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-02, 08:40 PM
"Look, you-" Ael stops herself short of flinging an insult as Clyde calms himself. She mimics his need to sigh and her scowl softens. "I'm not saying that the paladins are all monsters but that isn't going to cause me to beat myself up for doing what I have to so that people like these-" She gestures at the refugees, whether or not Clyde happens to be looking her way "-don't have to die in the name of a god they don't believe in. I would rather champion the innocent from the naive than worry myself to death saving the ones who try to kill me."

Turning towards the old librarian, sure that the argument happens to be over, she looks at him apologetically for starting that before asking a rather important question "Have you seen Hale? He's a carpenter, arranged to be married tomorrow." As she asks her question, Ael looks over the crowd in search of the man.

Lexin
2013-07-03, 12:31 PM
Ceart looks at Ael for a longer while then shakes his head slowly "You need to calm down, girl. I didn't defend the Church, neither do I think they are innocent. What I do think, is that not every one of them is guilty, many are simply afraid to disobey, because it means death. I am also up for looking for this 'weapon' but would still like to inquire about it's nature. A weapon which kills a lot of people doesn't work too well with religious organizations... they just grow many more martyrs and continue recruitment... But if this weapon is a person which know what to do... or better, if it is knowledge and proof, which would allow us to show everyone that Church is just a huge band of hypocrites and murderers, not protectors... This would work much better than slaughter..." he says calmly.
"So, what kind of a weapon is it?" he says turning back to librarian.

Snacs
2013-07-05, 12:14 PM
Through most of the argument Sabela simply remains silent, spending most of it carefully checking over Hound and Dog, petting them and muttering softly in the Ancient Tongue to keep them calm. Using bits of jerky from her pack she feeds them as well, she takes a seat, deciding the other could argue themselves out before anyone makes a decision where to move.

Virdish
2013-07-05, 02:07 PM
"I have no clue what this weapon is. As I said I did my part in telling you it was there. My understanding of the Mother makes me think that it would be something to enlighten rather then something to destroy but then the mother is sometimes willing to take hostile actions for the greater good."

Lexin
2013-07-05, 03:06 PM
"I suppose there is nothing else for us to do other than trying to find this weapon. If it is the peaceful kind it is even better. Let's go, my friends. says Ceart partially reassured.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-05, 03:48 PM
"Aye." Clyde agreed. "Sir," he said, approaching the librarian, "We thank you for your helpfulness and hospitality, and apologize for our suspicions earlier. Would you be so kind as to direct us to the nearest town, if you know its location?"

Virdish
2013-07-07, 09:30 PM
The old man would ponder for a second.

"There is a small town towards the mountains. The capital is probably closer but it is towards the desert."

eftexar
2013-07-07, 11:30 PM
Ceruleaus, sort of impatient with the whole situation, nods his head and responds, "We probably shouldn't go to the capitol yet anyway. If our friend back there gives them a good enough description there will probably be sketches up for a while."

White_Drake
2013-07-08, 11:58 AM
Score one for the mysterious masked man.
Ralstyn dryly comments.

Snacs
2013-07-08, 12:26 PM
"I agree. If they notice any of the village escaped word will reach the Capital first. At the worst we can all find a way to go once we have supplies and better information."

The Teral stands, dusting the dirt from her knees where she'd knelt to take care of her hounds.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-08, 03:50 PM
"Capital's definitely out of the question for now. Gotta stay away from big cities; I'm a wanted war criminal."

Clyde paused. "What? I stabbed the paladin superior in the heart and cut off his head. Technically, that counts as a war crime, though I think we can all agree he had it coming to him. Anyone wounded? Anyone need healing?"

Lexin
2013-07-08, 04:27 PM
"They died way too fast to harm us." says Ceart "Do you think I need to change the helmet so they don't recognize me?" he points at the helmet, covering everything but eyes.

Batpope Scott
2013-07-08, 10:12 PM
Ael wistfully looks at the man she was looking for as he stands in the crowd but turns back to the group to join in on the decision "I think we, as a group, stand out a little too much to be taken for anyone else without disguises. We should probably just avoid authority figures for a while."

White_Drake
2013-07-09, 12:17 AM
So, it's the mountain village, then?

Virdish
2013-07-10, 06:56 PM
The last of the civilians mill out of the the tunnels and the old man makes a quick count. "Not as many as I had hoped but more then I expected. We'll be leaving for the caves. We hope to be able to tatter our society together and make a life out of it." With that the remainder of the town started walking towards the mountains.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-10, 07:23 PM
"The mountains it is, then," Clyde said, beginning to walk towards said mountains.

Snacs
2013-07-10, 08:49 PM
Watching the villagers shoulder their scant burdens and start to move Sabela falls into step near Clyde, her Hounds shadowing her footsteps and sniffing at the ground, their tails wagging at the light exercise. She says little, her violet eyes following the crowd as the burning town recedes behind them.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-10, 09:30 PM
"Not a pretty sight," Clyde commented, "Certainly something I never hope to see again."

Virdish
2013-07-16, 09:09 PM
It's been a little over a day since the attack and your party has been moving towards town. It's come time to make camp and set the watches.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-16, 09:28 PM
Clyde opens up his bedroll and addresses the party. "I shall keep watch for the night. Justice never sleeps, after all, or so they say. I'll be sure to wake you if something happens, or I find myself dozing off."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-16, 09:42 PM
"If you need rest, please wake me. I can bear to go without sleep for our safety." Ael says this as she unrolls her bedroll and takes off her chain shirt and weapons, aside from her revolver, and puts them next to the roll with her backpack.

Snacs
2013-07-16, 11:37 PM
Stopping with the rest of the group Sabela rolls out her bedroll, looking up at the darkening sky to judge the weather. Deciding not to pitch her tent she spends a few moments feeding Hound and Dog and herself, drinking from a small clay mug from her pack.

Hearing Clyde volunteer for first watch she reaches into her pack to grab a slender, palm-sized crystal, holding it in cupped hands up to her face for a long moment. Colored the same as her eyes, it suddenly shivers and shakes, slender, spidery legs sprouting from the surface, before crawling down her arm and leaping nimbly on to Dogs shoulder, where it snugly affixes itself to the hounds collar. She taps the dog gently on the shoulder to get its full attention and points to Clyde, ordering in the Ancient Tongue "Guard."

"Dog will help you."She taps her chest where the crystal swayed on Dog's collar, even as the large black mastiff trotted over besides Clyde, giving a low bark. The Violet crystal on her collar gleamed, the Teral's psicrystal perching on Dog so that the hound could sleep when it felt like it, yet be alert by the watch.

That done, the tall Teral and within moments is sleeping peacefully, Hound flopped over next to her.

Psicrystal given self-propulsion and attached to Dog's collar. Dog will swap between sleeping/guarding near Clyde while he's on watch, with the Psicrystal alert since it's a construct and doesn't need sleep.:D

eftexar
2013-07-17, 01:10 PM
Ceruleaus, ready to actually get some sleep this time, lays down, leaning against a nearby tree or rock (if any), and loosely throws his cloak around himself.

Like any other sleep he ever had it wouldn't be very restful, plagued with nightmares that would make him mutter in his slumber. His hand would rest on his sword the whole night.

Lexin
2013-07-17, 01:34 PM
Ceart stands for a while after noticing it is finally time to rest.
"I will take morning watch, I would be up at dawn anyway, to pray, I can take the watch as well..." he says and slowly walks to a close tree or a larger rock he could lean against while sitting. (if none are found, he drives his non-magical sword into ground, as he did many times before and leans against it while resting).
When seated he reaches to his head and after some time of untying knots he removes the helmet, feeling the fresh air on his face first time since the unpleasant waking.
He has dark skin, long black hair and silver eyes, he is quite handsome, despite the small scar below his left eye.

Virdish
2013-07-17, 02:11 PM
A couple hours into the night a mist creeps into the area where you are sleeping and a subtle chill takes hold. Momentary grogginess passes through Clyde but then quickly passes.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-17, 10:49 PM
Clyde looks over at Dog and shrugs, reaching out a hand to him to allow for the canine to familiarize itself with his scent. "Hey there, buddy." he said in a hushed voice before grabbing his sword and standing up in an intimidating fashion. "Anyone out there?" he said, taking a few steps in the general direction the mist was coming from.

Virdish
2013-07-18, 02:55 AM
As Clyde starts to investigate a large centaur looking creature comes crashing out of the woods and levels a glowing warhammer towards Clyde.

"Your arrogance has sent rifts through the pantheon and disrupted the natural order. I am a messenger of the divine and I bring this message. Because of your dissent Torm has left the Pantheon, Clyde Soulsword, you are to be personally punished for this. Prepare to die"

Roll initiative and perception checks. DC 15 to wake and act in surprise round.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-18, 06:48 AM
"Nice to know the bigshots upstairs are paying attention..." Clyde said groggily, taking out his electrasteel greatsword. "The Torm I'm familiar with will go out of his way to protect the meek and guide the strong: not slaughter the innocent. If Torm has left the Pantheon of his own free will, I congratulate him: he has done as I have. If he was disqualified from their divine ranks, if slaughter truly is Torm's will, than perhaps I should find a new Patron. Which god do you serve, hmm? Hextor, the tyrant? Or perhaps you are ambassador to all the Pantheon?"

Batpope Scott
2013-07-18, 09:05 AM
Ael's ears are good, but rousing out of a dead sleep isn't easy to do quickly.

initiative [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Lexin
2013-07-18, 11:20 AM
Perception! [roll0]
Initiative! [roll1]

...I suppose it allows me:

Ceart stops snoring and slowly opens his eyes, as he notices the danger he stands up and draws the sword.

White_Drake
2013-07-18, 11:33 AM
Ralstyn's eyes snap open at the sound of the centaur's approach, and he rolls to his feet into a fighting stance.

eftexar
2013-07-18, 07:32 PM
Ceruleaus doesn't yet wake, still too busy locked in his own nightmares to return to those in real life.

already rolled badly on perception so time for initiative:[roll0]
I assume he would wake up on the second round from the clashing and banging of swords though?

When he finally does wake, several seconds later, he trips on his cloak in panic before joining the fray and drawing his blade, Mourning Glory.

he has quick draw; hopefully I didn't get too ahead of myself on this post.

Snacs
2013-07-18, 10:13 PM
As the Centaur-like creature appears Sabela's Psicrystal telepathically shrieks, waking her from her slumber instantly. Within moments she is on her feet, her eyes already glowing with psionic power. She cries out an alarm while besides Clyde Dog growls low in her throat, hackles lifting at the threatening creature.

Intiative: [roll0]

Virdish
2013-07-21, 10:46 PM
The Centaur like creature yells a guttural cry and suddenly seems more menacing. He charges forward suddenly bypassing all opposition straight towards Clyde swinging his war hammer.

Charging Minotaur maneuver
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1][roll2]

Virdish
2013-07-23, 02:10 AM
A dog appears from nowhere and attacks Caert.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Snacs
2013-07-24, 05:48 AM
Deciding that the large centaur-like creature was more important, Sabela lifts a hand towards the creature engaged with Clyde, her eyes glowing violet. Flames leap from her hand in a straight line, arrowing at the Centaur-creature. At the same time Dog Howls and attacks the creature's legs, moving opposite Clyde. Hound stays close to his Owner, growling and taut to strike anything that gets close.

Hound is going to ready an action since he's guarding like a Good Doggy.

Sabela is casting Energy ray, and using the fire descriptor to add damage. She is using 4 power points
Ranged touch attack:
1d20+3p
Damage(if hits):
[roll0] (fire adds +1 for every dice)

Dog is going to help Clyde by moving intoa flanking position and gnawing on centaur-creature leg.
Attack:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]

Total power points: 23-4 = 19

Virdish
2013-07-27, 01:19 PM
A second doglike creature appears and attacks from the other side of Caert.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lightning Fast
2013-07-27, 03:32 PM
Clyde rears back upon being hit. A sickening crack can be heard as the warhammer collides with his body, but he stabilizes himself.

"Very well then..." Clyde takes a massive swing with his sword, its blade glowing with divine might.

Smiting with power attack 1 and activating the electrasteel greatsword's power.

To Hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Electrical Damage [roll2]

White_Drake
2013-07-27, 05:51 PM
Ralstyn lunges for the tauric creature, drawing upon the powers of his mask as he moves.

Manifest masque powers and move.

Lexin
2013-07-28, 07:50 AM
Ceart looks at the battlefield, glances at the dogs unimpressed and slowly walks to his injured friend, whispering the command word on the way.

2 AoO from doggies as Ceart walks closer to Clyde.

Activate Healing Belt
[roll0] healing.

"I hope it helps a little."

Virdish
2013-07-28, 12:27 PM
The two ccreatures take the chance to attack Caert as he walks by and moments later another creature appears and attacks Dog.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

Virdish
2013-08-05, 11:19 PM
Another doglike animal appears and attacks Ceruleas

[roll0]
[roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-08-06, 04:07 AM
Ael stands and draws her rapier, deciding her strategy the moment she sees her opponent. What are those things anyway?

Move action to stand, move action to draw a rapier.

Rolling Knowledge(The Planes) [roll0] against the centaur.

May as well roll for the dogs, too. [roll1]

Strategy: Close Quarters Fighting, Two Weapon Fighting

Virdish
2013-08-08, 02:41 PM
The Centaur creature swings his weapon angrily, sacrificing accuracy for power.

Meanwhile the doglike creature attacks ceart again hoping to find purchase

Centaur
[roll0]
[roll1]
Blink dog
[roll2]
[roll3]

Snacs
2013-08-10, 07:47 PM
Taking a steadying breath and shaking off the lingering dregs of sleep, Sabela focuses her mind sharply and hurls another lance of flame at the centaur-like creature, while Dog continues to strike and leap at the creature's legs.

Same as last turn. Hound readying an action against anything moving against himself or Sabela, Dog gnawing on centaur legs.

Sabela: Touch attack, using Energy Ray using extra points, with the flame descriptor
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Dog attack:
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]

Sabela power points: 19-4 = 15

Virdish
2013-08-13, 06:56 PM
One of the blink dogs attacks Caert again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lexin
2013-08-14, 12:11 PM
Ceart shrugs and, completely ignoring the numerous dogs bouncing off his armor, once again tries to heal his comrade.

AoO for every dog around. He takes a 5ft step, if the centaur us too close.

CLW
[roll0]

Lightning Fast
2013-08-16, 03:24 PM
Clyde tries once again to smite his foe.

Power Attack 3, Smite Evil

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Recharge: [roll2]

PLEASE tell me that hits his AC...

White_Drake
2013-08-17, 10:13 PM
Ralstyn slashes at the centaur-like creature with massive, flaming claws, before attempting to sink his newly grown fangs into it.

Full Attack!
Bite (which is a touch attack):
[roll0]
Claws:
[roll1]
[roll2]
Bite Damage:
[roll3]
Claw Damage:
[roll4]
[roll5]
Fire Damage (1d6 from each attack):
[roll6]

Virdish
2013-08-17, 10:23 PM
The centaur like creature crashes to it's knees, blood seeping into the ground. It's final words an inaudible and gurgled mess. The sound of his weapon crashing to the ground seems to jar the blink dogs.

eftexar
2013-08-17, 10:32 PM
Even though still in a stupor from his sleep Ceruleaus nimbly steps out of the dog's way. His hand ripples with dark energy, his skeleton briefly visable in it's shadowy pulsation, before reaching out to touch the dog.

Touch Attack [roll0]
[roll1] Non-lethal Damage

Must, if damaged, make fort save, DC 14, or be fatigued for [roll2] rounds

[edit]: Withering Touch Mystery, Must succeed on a DC 17 spot check to see his attack soon enough to make an attack of opportunity.

Virdish
2013-08-20, 04:21 PM
The creature in front of him grimaces as it shakes with the impact.

Spot [roll0]
Attack (If spotted) [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
[roll3]

Meanwhile Caert is once again attacked by a blink dog.

[roll4]
[roll5]

Batpope Scott
2013-08-25, 12:51 AM
Ael strides over to a blink dog, drawing the kukri from her hip with her other hand, and thrusts at it savagely.

Move to the blink dog, free action draw since I'm moving and standard action attack against one of the blink dogs pestering Ceart

Combat Expertise -2 Atk +2AC, Deadly Defense +1d6 damage
[roll0] Attack Roll
[roll1] Damage
[roll2] Crit Confirm
[roll3] Critical Damage
[roll4] Deadly Defense critical damage (I'm not actually sure it is added to critical damage again but it doesn't say it isn't, so I can't say certainly.)

Snacs
2013-09-02, 08:34 PM
Seeing the Centaur falter Sabela turns her attentions to the dog-like creatures attacking her other companions. Again she says nothing and lacks the common gestures that a spellcaster might employ, yet another lance of fire blazes outwards towards the blink dog harassing Caert.

Dog gives a howl of triumph as the centaur falls, and takes a spot next to Clyde. A low, menacing growl of warning at the blink dogs . At Sabela's side Hound does the same, hackles raised.

So ranged touch attack yet again, also pumping it to max again:D
[roll0]
If it hits:
[roll1]

Hound and Dog ready actions to attack anyone threatening Sabela or Clyde.