PDA

View Full Version : Age of Worms Reborn [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

cameronpants
2013-06-18, 01:58 AM
The road was long.

Iston stands staring at the distant horizon and the surging sunrise to the East. Colors played across the clouded sky, light blue peeking between the pink clouds. A light rain had come in the night and the smell of flowers and nut trees suffused the air.

Behind Iston, off the road near their temporary camp site, sat Othreon and Vincent. Othreon had been Iston's traveling companion for a week now and always had some stimulating conversation for him. Vincent, a young lad who they came across trying to trap game, joined with them for a meal and a dry site, ready to travel with them overland to Diamond Lake, Iston's destination.

RFLS
2013-06-18, 09:39 AM
Iston stares a moment longer, taking in the dawn's beauty, savoring the cool air, and, as always, trying to ignore the distant, whispering voices as they spoke to him. The giant of a man flexed his fingers slowly, and then turned back to camp, his stride eerily resembling a spider. Despite his odd appearance, the man is nothing but charm, a gentle giant.

Iston's deep voice booms out across the camp, low and almost melodic. "So, Vincent...can I offer you some bacon? Men need a hearty meal on such mornings as this."

razorback
2013-06-18, 10:52 AM
"Iston speak true." says Othreon. Although only a few years older than Vincent, he has seen quite a bit of life and knows to savor it while you can.

Othreon stands and looks at the surroundings, feeling the strength of the earth in his bones.

"If you two will forgive me for a moment, I must practice my forms. Master Terraki would be unhappy if I were remiss in maintaining my training. I shall be in the clearing over there so as I do not disturb your breakfast."
With that he bows and walks off towards the clearing, grabbing his spear from where it is leaning on a nearby tree.

Starting slowly, his body soon begins to glisten with sweat as he moves quickly and, surprising for such a large person, fluidly, as he jumps, springs, and rolls while preforming attacks with both spear and body. After nearly an hour of going over the basics, he returns to the camp and drinks from his water bottle while wiping his brow.

"When you gentlemen are ready, let me know. I only need a few moments before we continue our journey."

cameronpants
2013-06-18, 04:38 PM
After breakfast is consumed, the travelers resume their journey down the road. They are but a few hours outside of town, the promise of fresh bread and beds beckoning them forward.

@Beren, Owain:

You have each received a hand written invitation to Allustan's humble cottage where he will be meeting with you. He intends to discuss the matter of your employment to him- and he alluded to having you both perform a task beforehand to prove your capabilities.

You both go through your daily routines, and find yourselves walking down the main street of Diamond Lake. As you walk further to the north (Allustan's cottage is just outside the city limits), you encounter fewer and fewer pedestrians, until it is just the two of you not twenty feet apart. As you each take the side road down to his cottage in a small sunken valley by a large pond, you are sure of it: both of you are headed to the same destination.

EriktheRed
2013-06-18, 05:34 PM
Owain whistles cheerfully, if horribly out of tune, as he walks down the winding path to Allustan's home, generally oblivious to the world around him. Finally, off to a life of adventure, just like Ma and Pa. Allustan even has a trial to prove myself, just like all the great heroes. I wonder what they'll call me once I become famous? Owain Redbeard... Owain Firebeard? Owain Firemane, he thought as he walked down the path.

"Owain Firemane, I like the sound of that," he muttered to himself as he stopped for a moment, coming to a dramatic pose, arms akimbo, with a huge grin coming across his face.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-18, 05:59 PM
Vincent gives a short jovial snort and grins, "You can always offer me bacon, good sir. Anytime, anywhere." His grin breaks into an outright smile and he can't help but chuckle, but whatever was so funny, he keeps to himself. He seems about ready to pass out; his clothes have been perpetually dirty and wet since you've met him, and he has all but pounced on any available food. His hair is lank and unkempt, and his face is unshaven. Nevertheless, he seems to be quietly enjoying his senses at the moment, paying attention to the forest and sky.

Vincent is quiet about himself, giving few details. He is a bit distant and cold, perhaps unsure of his two obviously highly-capable traveling companions, but has shown no hostility or lack of gratitude for their presence. He is the first to bring up the prospect of continuing on; it's obvious he is eager for a bed.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-19, 03:29 AM
Beren

Inattentive as ever, Beren only now notices that it is Owain there, striking a dramatic pose. Hustling to catch up to the Dwarf, Beren speaks up: "Hey, Owain...you're also heading to the alchemist?" He comes to a halt and continues: "What's up?" As he smiles, a small purple ray of light cracks softly as it runs along his forearm.

EriktheRed
2013-06-19, 04:03 AM
He looks up at Beren as he continues walking toward Allustan's home. "Oh hi there, Beren. Yeah, he has work, but there will be some kind of test first."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-19, 04:17 AM
Beren

"Really, huh?" Beren ponders a moment. "Perhaps we will be working together, then. I got a similar message."

EriktheRed
2013-06-19, 04:44 AM
Owain

"Makes sense. How many different jobs can one man have?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-19, 05:39 AM
Beren

Beren ponders a moment, trying to come up with a precise answer to that question. Then he decides it was probably rhetorical anyway. "Well, let's go see him and find out!"

RFLS
2013-06-19, 07:45 AM
Iston

As they continue down the road, Iston remains silent for a while, appreciating the views around him. After a bit, though, he turns to Vincent and asks "So, Vincent. What exactly are you hoping to find at Diamond Lake?"

razorback
2013-06-19, 08:12 AM
Othreon ponders why he was sent down to Diamond Lake. Was this something real or another lesson on learning to watch for Illithid incursions, training on looking for the signs of infestation without any chance of bearing any fruit. He knew that the two men were confident in him but, at the same time, knew that he was untested. Only time will tell.
Walking down the road with the two others, Othreon turns his head when Iston asks his question as it brings his thought into focus, curious to hear what the young man's response would be. Shifting the spear on his shoulder a bit, he scans his surroundings even though it was the middle of the morning and the sun was beginning to make its journey through the sky.

cameronpants
2013-06-19, 11:08 AM
@Beren, Owain:

The cottage passes into sight behind a small hill. You follow the gravel road around the hillock and into a fenced yard. The grass is several weeks pas the need of a mowing and a stream runs through the yard. The cottage is simple; thatched roof, simple single-pane windows, wooden door fitted to the wooden walls.

No smoke rises from the chimney and no sounds are made from the house as you approach.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-19, 11:14 AM
Beren

"Think he will ask us to mow the lawn?"

When they approach the house, Beren frowns. "Looks like nobody is home, eh?" He continues towars the house, aiming to knock on the door to see what happens.

cameronpants
2013-06-19, 12:01 PM
Beren

"Think he will ask us to mow the lawn?"

When they approach the house, Beren frowns. "Looks like nobody is home, eh?" He continues towars the house, aiming to knock on the door to see what happens.

On the front door is pinned a note. It is written in flowing calligraphy.

Thanks for coming. There are a few more meeting you here.
I've stepped out for a quick errand- please read the note on the table.
Door's open.

-Allustan

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-19, 12:54 PM
Not a breath after Iston finishes speaking, Vincent replies, "A bed, a bath, and food.", nodding the strip of bacon in his hand at Iston in emphasis on that last word, then taking a bite out of it. "...but also temporary anonymity, opportunity, and somewhere unknown to make famous." He grins in what might supposed to have looked like humor, ...but leaves you with the feeling of pure-seriousness being poorly masked.

"Yourself?"

EriktheRed
2013-06-19, 01:57 PM
Owain

Owain takes a look at the note, and then opens the door to enter the cabin, looking for a note on the table. "Looks like Allustan is getting a proper group together. I wonder who our new friends will be, hmm? A cunning thief, a holy man, maybe a master of the arcane?"

RFLS
2013-06-19, 02:04 PM
Iston stares at Vincent for a second as though all he can see are the little moving parts that make a human work, and then snaps back to reality, emotions returning to his face with a hearty chuckle.

"I'm sure you'll be plenty famous some day, son. As for me...I'm content to just study creatures, and my good friend Allustan has invited me out to look at what he claims are things I've never seen before."

Pausing to take a swig from a canteen, he continues "I'd be willing to bet a hundred gold pieces I have pieces of at least one of them on my workbench already. Allustan always did exaggerate."

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-19, 03:02 PM
Vincent perks up at the mention of "things I've never seen before." An inquisitive look takes over his weary face as he leans forward. "Who is this Allustan?" As an afterthought, he turns to Othreon, "For that matter, who is Terraki?"

RFLS
2013-06-19, 03:17 PM
"Allustan is...well, he's Allustan. He plays with magic and alchemy, and he likes knowing things. I've met him a half dozen times, and, while I can tell you he's a good person and someone I'm glad to call a friend, I can't honestly say I know the man.

Your second question is much easier. It's a kind of sauce people use in the eastern regions of the world. Salty and a little sweet. I might have some with me... I do love it."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-19, 03:39 PM
Beren

"We will have to wait and see." Beren enters the house and finds himself a seat. "I hope the pay is good, to be honest. I am broke." He looks up at his Dwarven friend. "What does he write?"

cameronpants
2013-06-19, 04:06 PM
@Beren, Owain:

The note on the table is a hand-written affair from Allustan and what looks to be a message from a courier. The latter is addressed to Mr. Khulan and has no name of the sender. It details the intentions of a small group to investigate a place called 'The Whispering Cairn' a day's ride from Diamond Lake. The message illustrates how the land it is on is owned by a private party and that word should not get out about their plans in fear of legal retribution and the compromising of the 'Directive'.

The note from Allustan reads as follows:

"Friends, thank you for coming! As you can see from the excerpt, I have a bit of a situation.
I brought you all here for some investigative work, but alas this event has come about. I have been hired as a consultant to the owner
of the land- he wishes for this Whispering Cairn to be breached, searched, and looted by a team of men he can trust- and I trust you four.
Before we get to the business of my choosing, I must complete this contract for the Cairn's current landholder, Mr. Turska.

"The payment for this mission is generous- fifty silver knots as well as any single item selected from within the Cairn-
for each of you. If this does not suit your needs or sensibilities, then I am saddened to say that our business together must be
postponed until further notice.

"However if it does work for you we can call it a trial run for working with me.

Sincerely,

Allustan"

On the back of the note is an addendum, scribbled in haste:

"PS: Turns out my errand will take slightly longer than anticipated... I have left a map to the Cairn on my writing desk in my bedroom. Take whatever food and supplies you can find- my old alchemy set is still in the cupboard by the wash basin. There should be a few potions in there that still work, as well as a bit of watered-down Magefire."

EriktheRed
2013-06-19, 04:42 PM
Owain:

Owain skims over the note, before handing it to Beren. "Looks like we'll be clearing out a cave. Doesn't say what is in it, but Allustan won't be here to send us off."

Owain will gather up what food and other supplies seem useful, ignoring any potions or vials that are not clearly labeled in Common or Dwarven, and put them in his backpack. Once he's done he'll set the backpack on the table and pull up a chair as he studies the map.

"Now we wait. The letter says there should be two others."

razorback
2013-06-19, 04:52 PM
Othreon looks at Iston for a moment, a bit befuddled. He scans through his memories but can't come up with what the man is thinking of.

"I am unsure of what Iston speaks of... but, I was speaking of Master Terraki, who is my instructor in the martial arts. He is a wise and puissant warrior. And, very strict. I can't tell you how many times I have had to do knuckle push-ups on the monastery courtyard for dropping a weapon... or stand in horse stance for hours for failing to execute a technique correctly." With that he give an almost imperceptible shudder as he continues walking.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-19, 06:58 PM
Vincent frowns in sympathy, "If your training was as hard as mine, and it sounds like it was, if not more so, then you must be quite the warrior." Honestly, his bulkiness alone could convey that much. "But let's not speak of food anymore..."

His stomach growls, "...right. So, Allustan; he sounds like a person I should get acquainted with if I am to work out of Diamond Lake. From what I've gathered, it's a rough town."

RFLS
2013-06-19, 06:59 PM
"Aha! Here it is!" Iston waves aloft a small bottle filled with a dark fluid.

"I'll be sure to flavor something with it so that you can taste your master's namesake sometime."

cameronpants
2013-06-19, 08:05 PM
As the trio speak, they round a small glen and in the near distance they can see a small packed dirt road. Iston knows this road- it was the fork Allustan told him to take to get to his cottage. They were mere minutes away.

A short time later they were walking towards the cottage proper, crossing a footbridge over a small stream on the way. There was movement from within the cottage, visible through the single-pane windows lining the left side of the cottage.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-20, 01:29 AM
Beren

Beren takes the note and reads it. "Fifty silver knots." He then joins Owain in reading the map.

EriktheRed
2013-06-20, 02:23 AM
Owain

"Fifty knots?" Owain says quizzically. "Ah, our fee. That and one item of our choosing from the cairn. I wonder what they expect us to find there."

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-20, 03:15 AM
"Looks like he's home." Vincent walks towards the cottage, bow in hand (as it usually is when traveling), without any visible anxiety.

razorback
2013-06-20, 07:38 AM
Othreon give Iston a sideways glance but lets the matter drop.
He responds to Vincent with "It would seem so." as they walk up. Unshouldering his spear as they approach the cottage, he rests it outside against the fence or something similar as they prepare to knock on the door.

cameronpants
2013-06-20, 08:23 AM
@Beren, Owain:

A knock sounds at the door. Glancing out the window you see three tall men, all well over six foot,, standing around chatting. One has a spear angled on the fence post by the pathway, another is holding a bow, and the third, a lanky man with nicer clothes than the others, holds no weapon.

EriktheRed
2013-06-20, 08:45 AM
Owain

Owain will stand up at the knock on the door and look out the window before opening the door. "It looks like the rest of our party has arrived, Beren, plus one extra."

The door opens and you are greeted by a dwarf with fiery red hair and an dwarves urgosh slung over his back. "Halo there. Allustan won't be meeting with us, but he left us this letter explaining our first quest," he says presenting said letter. "I propose we head out at once, unless you would like to rest a bit first. What say you?" He stands there arms akimbo, awaiting your response, with a grin that seems somewhat out of place on a dwarf.

RFLS
2013-06-20, 09:07 AM
"Well, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been hoping for at least a breather here. May I see this note explaining this "quest" we're to go on?"

Iston steps into the house and looks around as he says this. He hasn't gotten a bad feeling off of these two people in his friend's house, but it never hurt anyone to be a little cautious.

EriktheRed
2013-06-20, 10:48 AM
Owain

"Sure thing," he says, letter still in his hand. "Here you go. My name's Owain, by the way, and this is my friend Beren. Pleasure to meet you folk."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-20, 10:52 AM
While it is actually fairly wind still outside, you hear the faint whistling of wind passing the building. A bit further into the house stands a muscled man in a simple outfit. His hair is jet black and his eyes crystal blue. On the ground rests a big backpack filled with stuff and a sizeable sword. He looks at the visitors with a blank expression on his face: "Hey. Beren."

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-20, 05:47 PM
Vincent nods at Beren and Owain. He tears his tired gaze away from the bed to read the note with Iston. "Hopefully there are women in this town."

Reading the back of the note, "Well, hot damn! I'm starving!" He heads off to find the items mentioned.

EriktheRed
2013-06-20, 11:03 PM
Owain

Owain will wait at the table while everyone takes a lunch break. "So, are you from Diamond Lake?"

razorback
2013-06-20, 11:34 PM
With a bow Othreon say "I am Othreon and I am only from a few miles away. I reside at the monastery of Zuoken. My instructors sent me on the errand. It would seem that they were in contact with Allustan, which I find encouraging. Why, my i ask, might you be here?" he finishes with what others might call a bit abrasive, if unintentional.

EriktheRed
2013-06-20, 11:39 PM
Owain

"Allustan is a friend of the family. When he offered me a job, I was more than happy to lend a hand."

RFLS
2013-06-21, 07:42 AM
Iston wanders back into the main room "I'm here because the wily old coot invited me to come look at what he called "new creatures." I'm a bit miffed that he's not here, to be honest."

EriktheRed
2013-06-21, 10:15 AM
Owain

"I'm sure he has a reason. Maybe even a good one. I for one am excited at the opportunity to test my mettle. Are we ready to head out? Those of us that are heading to the Cairn anyway?" Owain will step outside and whistle, raising his left hand, and a few minutes later, a white-tailed eagle flies up and perches on his gauntleted hand (which I neglected to describe earlier - he has a heavy leather glove covering his entire upper left arm).

If anyone follow him outside, he will introduce his fine feathered friend, "Everyone, this is my friend Eryr. Eryr, this is everyone," he says, chuckling. The eagle squawks as if annoyed by a bad joke.

razorback
2013-06-21, 10:39 AM
After reading through the letters, Othreon ponders the words for a few moments while the others make introductions and discuss things among themselves.
Any watching him can see he is weighing something back and forth for a few moments before he speaks. "I agree. It would seem going to the Cairn would be the next logical choice." as slight bit of irritation in his voice, evident that this business with this Mr. Turska is a distraction from his mission.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-23, 04:06 AM
Beren

Beren nods. "Sure thing."

RFLS
2013-06-23, 09:04 AM
Iston lets out a deep sigh. "I suppose we'd better, then. Is everyone ready?"

razorback
2013-06-23, 09:55 AM
"Ready. Anyone who might need supplies should grab them now."
With that Othreon walks out the door and retrieves his spear and leans on it as he waits for the others to appear.

EriktheRed
2013-06-23, 01:45 PM
Owain grabs his pack and then waits for the others before heading out.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-24, 04:08 PM
Beren

Beren also grabs his gear and heads out. "How far is it to the Cairn?"

EriktheRed
2013-06-24, 08:14 PM
Owain

"It will take us about two days on foot."

cameronpants
2013-06-25, 08:09 AM
Allustan has the following in his cupboard:

1x light blue potions
2x crimson potions marked 'Shielding'
5x brown potions marked 'Breakfast'
3x orange potions marked 'Magefire'
2x vials of Antitoxin

Vincent also finds a loaf of bread and a small amount of cheese. Checking the cupboard he discovers a decent amount of smoked meat- enough to last two days- in a cloth wrap.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-25, 09:47 AM
Vincent slips one of the antitoxins into his bandoleer before walking back out to the others with the potions and food wrapped in his arms. "Does anyone happen to know what these do?" He presents the potions to the others, then sits to wolf down some of Allustan's food.

RFLS
2013-06-25, 09:58 AM
Iston hems and haws over the potions for a few minutes, toying with them and peering through them, shaking them, and even tasting one or two. After a bit, he comes to a conclusion about each of them. Indicating each in turn, he says
" This one will grant you magical armor, this one will let you throw fire, this one...hm...it should make you just a little tougher. The ones labelled breakfast I'm completely unsure about. This last one has some powerful healing properties."

Wall of rolls. Didn't feel like taking 20; this is shorter (since I only need a 16, if we're going by the normal rules). I'll edit in what they are when I (player) know XD

Spellcraft: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]
Spellcraft: [roll3]
Spellcraft: [roll4]
Spellcraft: [roll5]
Spellcraft: [roll6]
Spellcraft: [roll7]
Spellcraft: [roll8]
Spellcraft: [roll9]
Spellcraft: [roll10]
Spellcraft: [roll11]
Spellcraft: [roll12]
Spellcraft: [roll13]
Spellcraft: [roll14]
Spellcraft: [roll15]
Spellcraft: [roll16]
Spellcraft: [roll17]
Spellcraft: [roll18]
Spellcraft: [roll19]
Spellcraft: [roll20]
Spellcraft: [roll21]
Spellcraft: [roll22]
Spellcraft: [roll23]
Spellcraft: [roll24]

cameronpants
2013-06-26, 11:12 AM
Iston hems and haws over the potions for a few minutes, toying with them and peering through them, shaking them, and even tasting one or two. After a bit, he comes to a conclusion about each of them

Wall of rolls. Didn't feel like taking 20; this is shorter (since I only need a 16, if we're going by the normal rules). I'll edit in what they are when I (player) know XD

Spellcraft: [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]
Spellcraft: [roll3]
Spellcraft: [roll4]
Spellcraft: [roll5]
Spellcraft: [roll6]
Spellcraft: [roll7]
Spellcraft: [roll8]
Spellcraft: [roll9]
Spellcraft: [roll10]
Spellcraft: [roll11]
Spellcraft: [roll12]
Spellcraft: [roll13]
Spellcraft: [roll14]
Spellcraft: [roll15]
Spellcraft: [roll16]
Spellcraft: [roll17]
Spellcraft: [roll18]
Spellcraft: [roll19]
Spellcraft: [roll20]
Spellcraft: [roll21]
Spellcraft: [roll22]
Spellcraft: [roll23]
Spellcraft: [roll24]

The light blue potion is a potion of Mage Armor, CL 5.The Crimson potions marked 'Shielding' are Nightshield, CL 5. The three potions 'Magefire' seem similar to a Produce Flame potion but is more potent. The five brown potions labeled 'Breakfast' seem to be a unique spell Allustan perhaps created. You can only guess at their function. The single Antitoxin is suffused with healing potion, providing a Lesser Restoration effect to heal damage or ability damage caused from poison only.

EriktheRed
2013-06-26, 02:37 PM
Owain

"Useful to have an alchemist traveling with us," Owain says, waiting for his party to gather before venturing forth.

RFLS
2013-06-26, 02:42 PM
"I wouldn't exactly say I'm an alchemist. I dabble. I've been working a little to understand potions recently."

Iston packs the potions away, making it clear to the party that it's merely for travel and he has no intention of keeping them for himself.

"So, is everyone ready now? I'm packed and ready to go; we can at least get closer with the remainder of the day."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-26, 04:19 PM
Beren

Beren nods. "Ready." He tightens his backpack and turns to the road.

razorback
2013-06-26, 05:38 PM
"Ready when the rest of you are. Two days of walking sounds like fun." He makes a small flourish with his spear before starting to walk off.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-26, 06:00 PM
Still holding his bow, Vincent starts walking. "Alright then, let's do this!"

cameronpants
2013-06-26, 07:15 PM
The five men leave Allustan's humble cottage and return to the road. They travel for the remainder of the day, foraging off the land as they go- from well-placed apple trees to the odd rabbit. Their combined effort slows their progress little, and all are impressed by the distance they cover in a day.

They set camp, and (likely) have a rotating watch. Although they are in settled lands, highwaymen sometimes accost camps at night and take what they can snatch from packs and mules.

The next day, the group continues its trek, and by sundown is in the vicinity of the old Diamond Mine that appears on the map with directions to the entrance of the Whispering Cairn.

Decided to skip ahead unless there are objections.
A search check is required to uncover the entrance to the Cairn. The map provides a +5 bonus.
I made each of you take 10 on your way here, so no need to eat food off your sheets.

EriktheRed
2013-06-26, 07:45 PM
Owain

Owain looks around for the entrance, hoping to find some sign of traffic in the area to assist him in this endeavor.

[roll0] Search, letting someone else use the map. +2 from stonecunning not included, if applicable
[roll1] Survival to find tracks that might lead to the entrance (I have Track)

RFLS
2013-06-26, 09:06 PM
Iston looks around, referring to the map every once in a while.

Search: [roll0]

cameronpants
2013-06-26, 09:09 PM
Iston discovers a dense cluster of roots by an outcropping a few hundred meters from the entrance of the diamond mine. Pushing past the first layer, he discovers a tunnel leading down into what seems to be a rough hewn stone hallway. Owain, on top of the outcropping, finds strange markings on the ground- thin, deep holes cutting deep into the earth. Whether artificial or natural, they seem odd to him.

RFLS
2013-06-26, 09:11 PM
Iston calls out "Hey, I think I found something!"

EriktheRed
2013-06-26, 09:23 PM
Owain

Owain will peer quizzically at the holes for a moment, and then head towards the tunnel entrance. "Well, looks like this is the place. Let's go."

Can I tell with my Darkvision if the holes go through into the tunnel beneath them or not?

Knowledge: Dungeoneering [roll0]
Knowledge: Nature [roll1]
Knowledge: Religion [roll2] (+1 if undead related)
Knowledge: Planes [roll3]

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-27, 02:45 AM
Vincent trots over to the root-cluster, standing near the entrance with his halberd held in both hands. If an intelligent dwarf cannot make sense of the strange holes, then he knows he couldn't. He retrieves his sunrod and slips it into his belt for ready use, but does not light it just yet, as there may be light within. "Owain, you should lead, since you can see."

cameronpants
2013-06-27, 10:33 AM
The roots, once pulled aside, reveal a circular portal. It looks like once it had been a great stone door but now it is just a gaping hole leading down into the earth. Great stone stairs lead into the darkness. From the sunset's natural light, you can see the walls bear intricately simple geometric patterns- mostly squares and dashes- at waist level in a horizontal band. In many places, due to wind erosion and what looks like sword gashes, the pattern is all but unidentifiable. A haunting melody of moans can be heard within the passageway, emanating from tiny holes in the walls, hidden in the angular pattern. Due to the damage some of the pattern has received the melody has been changed, and now make sounds as if they groan off-key.

Down a half dozen steep stone stairs the walls widen into small stone alcoves on either side of the hallway.

At the entrance to one of the small alcoves is a three-foot-long pile of soiled clothing, about the size of a halfling or human child.

Owain

Owain will peer quizzically at the holes for a moment, and then head towards the tunnel entrance. "Well, looks like this is the place. Let's go."

Can I tell with my Darkvision if the holes go through into the tunnel beneath them or not?

Knowledge: Dungeoneering [roll0]
Knowledge: Nature [roll1]
Knowledge: Religion [roll2] (+1 if undead related)
Knowledge: Planes [roll3]

No, the light from outside spoils your darkvision. Based on where Iston found the door, it seems likely that they do enter the Cairn at some point.

Dungeoneering: You've heard of zoos with underground pens that need holes for animals to breathe fresh air. This is not too unlike that.
Nature: The tunnel Iston found is wide enough that significant supports would have been needed near the entrance- but the earth and plants seem completely undisturbed by the presence of the Cairn.
Religion: You've yet to see any symbols of divine beings or unholy curses.
Planes: The geometric patterns remind you of an older dialect of Auran though you have no idea what it says.

EriktheRed
2013-06-27, 02:58 PM
Owain

"Alright then," Owain says, stepping into the tunnel far enough for his vision to adjust to the dark, leaving someone else to investigate the pile of clothes. "Don't mind the weird whistling sound, it is caused by those weird holes I found, not anything supernatural."

What do I see in the dark once my darkvision kicks in?
[roll0] Spot

If he doesn't see anything, he'll say "It looks clear."

RFLS
2013-06-27, 03:32 PM
Iston digs around in his pack, and after a few moments, pulls out a lantern, lighting it and holding it over his head as he peers down the tunnel.

"Sadly, not all of us have your marvelous ability to see in the dark." Iston comments as he looks around cautiously.

"Incidentally, what's that like?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-27, 03:39 PM
Beren

As Iston and Owain investigate, Beren makes sure to keep an eye out to their surroundings. It would be silly to get surprised in the back by highwaymen while peering down a hole.

EriktheRed
2013-06-27, 03:46 PM
"Never really thought about it. Pretty much the same as seeing in the light, but with less color."

cameronpants
2013-06-27, 05:52 PM
Owain

"Alright then," Owain says, stepping into the tunnel far enough for his vision to adjust to the dark, leaving someone else to investigate the pile of clothes. "Don't mind the weird whistling sound, it is caused by those weird holes I found, not anything supernatural."

What do I see in the dark once my darkvision kicks in?
[roll0] Spot

You see nothing down the tunnel, and you take a step inside to make room for the others to follow.

If he doesn't see anything, he'll say "It looks clear."

Owain turns his head to Iston, the second one in with a lantern, and says,

"Never really thought about it. Pretty much the same as seeing in the light, but with less color."
As he turns his head back to the tunnel proper, movement up on his right, in the first alcove, catches his eye. In a blur, the black bear surges toward him, hungry eyes following behind a famished roar.

Initiative:
Black Bear: [roll0]
Beren: [roll1]
Iston: [roll2]
Othreon: [roll3]
Owain: [roll4]
Vincent: [roll5]

If the Bear wins initiative: Charge Owain.
Attack: [roll6], Damage [roll7]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-28, 09:36 AM
Beren

Hearing the bear, Beren draws his sword and moves forward to the front ranks, so he can see what is going on.

Move action: Draw sword
Standard action (move): Move to front

razorback
2013-06-30, 09:11 AM
Othreon stands at the back of the group as they enter the cave. He is looking around as his eyes adjust from 'normal' vision to his ability to see in the dark, a gift from his rocky predessors.

When he hears and sees the bear get up, he realizes the bear is about the to charge. Without thinking, he moves behind Owain and sets his spear as if to receive a cavalry charge just as Master Terraki had shown him.

Othreon

AC ~17; Current ~ 17
HP ~ 12; Current ~12

Free Action

Move Action

Move 5 feet to the right so Othreon is directly behind Owain
Standard action

Ready spear vs charge

Attack

[roll0]

Crit Confirmation
[roll1]

Damage

[roll2] x2

Effects~

As he does he speaks loudly to the group "Does anyone have the means to soothe this creature?"

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-01, 05:09 AM
Vincent, hearing the roar and witnessing Beren move with sword drawn, darts into the hole after him without missing a beat. As soon as he notices the creature, a simple plan forms in his mind, and he dashes down the steps, around and sometimes into his new friends to stand closest to the bear. "Ware! Coming through!" Eyes wide as he focuses completely on blocking or dodging it's claws and fangs, Vincent holds the point, hoping the creature will pass him by so that he may surround it when it does.

Moves to the square past Beren, takes a total defense action. AC is 20.

cameronpants
2013-07-01, 10:45 AM
The bear, slightly cowed by the appearance of additional dangerous food sources, instead chooses to attack the nearest one.

Attacks on Vincent:
Claws [roll0], [roll1], Bite [roll2]
Claws [roll3], [roll4], Bite [roll5]

EriktheRed
2013-07-01, 01:05 PM
Owain

Owain focuses his mind, traces a slow circle in the air with his left hand, and almost seems to be clearing his throat as he growls out a few words in Druidic to cast his spell.

"Woah there, friend. I can tell that you are hungry, but we are not prey. Calm yourself for just a few moments, and I will help you out of this place," Owain speaks in Bear.

Casting Speak with Animals.

RFLS
2013-07-01, 11:40 PM
Iston quickly draws a scroll from his pack and uses it to heal Vincent.

Move to draw.
Standard to cast.
UMD: [roll0]

EriktheRed
2013-07-02, 06:08 AM
Owain

Owain steps forward as he continues to growl at the bear, and gestures for the party to wait while he tries to placate it, reaching for some dried meat and fruit in his backpack to offer the bear.

5ft. step and gesture to party are free actions taken last turn, since we are still in initiative. Dice roll and offering food to bear are for the next turn.
[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-07-02, 11:16 AM
The PCs can still understand you, Owain. The magic just allows the bear to understand your words, whatever language they are in. They just can't understand the bear.

Owain says "We are dangerous meat. You should not attack us. I can be a friend. Tell me, who took your kin and your home?"

The bear growls again in return, sniffing towards Owain as he advances and offers a bundle of salted pork he found in Allustan's pantry.

If no other PC makes aggressive actions the bear does seem to physically back down and shrink in size; his fur flattens and he is a lot more scrawny than expected.

EriktheRed
2013-07-02, 12:47 PM
Owain

"Let's not linger here," Owain says, looking around the tunnel to see what lies past the bear. "I doubt this bear is the reason we were asked to come here."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-02, 04:17 PM
Beren

Beren lowers his sword, but not quite at ease he decides to not sheathe it for the foreseeable future. Knowing a thing or two about wild animals*, he decides to not look directly at it or provoke it in any other way. To the others, he mumbles to explain: "My friend speaks with animals. Try not to look at it directly."

With a +4 in both knowledge (nature) and survival I figured Beren would know that much for sure.

razorback
2013-07-02, 06:07 PM
Othreon eases his spear down but readies it to bring it back up to protect him and his companions. He backs up warily as his companions do the same.
To Owain he says "My guess is you are correct. Let us leave this beast in peace."

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-03, 09:28 AM
"..." Vincent stares at the far wall with a blank face for a moment. He then eases his halberd and edges to his left until he is around the corner. He moves as if still in shock.

cameronpants
2013-07-03, 10:41 AM
With the light from Iston's lantern, you can see the hallway slowly widens until it is about forty feet wide. The bear trundles back to the first alcove and lays down, chewing on some tough pork you gave it.
You each gain 180 xp

EriktheRed
2013-07-03, 01:47 PM
Owain

Owain will step outside before continuing, in order to chat with Eryr, not wanting to waste the opportunity. Since the bear said that hunting is slim in the area, and Eryr has a wider range, he'll ask Eryr to get some fresh meat for the bear if he can, and leave it near the entrance. He will then continue down the hallway.

cameronpants
2013-07-03, 04:42 PM
You eventually come to another staircase. Only a half dozen steps brings you to a forty foot wide hallway. Ahead of you is a four way intersection. The light of the lantern reveals more damage to these walls than the earlier ones. Far ahead you can see dully throbbing colorful lights- orange and green, sometimes some blue. The sources are obscured, and the flashing has no pattern you can discern.

EriktheRed
2013-07-03, 04:53 PM
Owain

"Step back with the light, and I'll see what I can see down these hallways," Owain says, stepping into the intersection and waiting for his eyesight to adjust to the darkness as his compatriots move back with the light.

Spot check with 60' Darkvision
[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-07-03, 11:55 PM
With the light source covered, those with darkvision can see another four way intersection some thirty feet beyond the first. After that, the passage opens up into a room that contains the flashing colorful lights.

EriktheRed
2013-07-04, 01:20 AM
Owain

Owain will peer down the hallways for a bit, and then look back at the group. "I suggest we go towards the strange lights." Owain will then mutter a few words in Druidic, and pass his hand in front of his eyes, which begin to flicker blue from any magical auras that are revealed to him.

Casting Detect Magic, scanning the area, and then heading towards the room with the lights. Owain has no spell craft or knowledge arcana, so he can't decipher schools of magic or anything like that.

razorback
2013-07-04, 08:40 AM
"Yes, but let us use a bit of logic here. Who besides Owain and I can see in the dark? Those of us who can should move ahead of the rest of the group." He says, stuttering a bit as all of the heads swivel towards him as he talks. With that he nods at Owain and moves forward with whoever chooses to scout ahead of the group.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-04, 10:08 AM
Beren

"Sure, as long as we maintain a minor source of light. Dark is really dark for us."

RFLS
2013-07-04, 11:05 AM
Iston moves to the back of the group, holding his lantern over his head.

"Okay... I suppose we should go ahead."

EriktheRed
2013-07-04, 01:37 PM
Owain

"I was just thinking we could move the light back when we come to an intersection. The light will spill out in all directions, alerting anything down the hall to our presence, so I propose we stay together until we come to an intersection, and then those of us who can see in the dark can move ahead briefly to check it out. Unless we have a dedicated scout, that's the best way to avoid an unpleasant underground ambush."

RFLS
2013-07-04, 01:42 PM
"My lantern is hooded, I can simply cover it when we come to an intersection."

Iston demonstrates a few times, and then returns the hood to the lit position.

Every time we come up to an intersection, I turn the light off.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-04, 04:10 PM
Beren

Beren nods. "Of course. Just be careful."

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-04, 05:16 PM
"A moment," Vincent says to the others, absently rubbing a thumb along one of the claw gashes on his body, "we should distribute Allustan's potions amongst ourselves before going any further."

He stares down the corridor at the lights in the distance, while standing next to Iston and the lit lantern. "I say we explore these side tunnels first. I don't like walking blind into a possible trap."

RFLS
2013-07-05, 07:07 PM
Iston quietly hands the potion of Mage Armor to Beren, two of the Magefire potions to Vincent, a potion of Nightshield over to Owain, and the last Magefire to Othreonl. He holds onto the antitoxins saying "If something should happen to any of you, I'll be sure to administer these as quickly as possible."

EriktheRed
2013-07-05, 11:34 PM
Owain

"While you're doing that, let me take a look at that wound." Owain walks up to Vincent and mutters a few words in Druidic, passing his hand slowly over his injury, which mends somewhat.

Casting Cure Light Wounds.
[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-07-06, 12:15 AM
The left hand tunnel leads to a small circular room. The walls are covered in a strange, flowing script wherein one letter becomes the next, much like cursive calligraphy. The symbols themselves, however, are not easily identifiable. Time has rubbed much of the swoops and loops away, and what is left makes the walls look more or less messy.

Superimposed upon the writing is a mural encircling the entire room. Seven distinct scenes play out upon the wall, one becoming the next. Such a painting must have taken decades, and to put something like this together required a genius and master artist. In the center of the room, sunken a step below everything else, are three metal chests. Each has ornate etchings and bands of what looks to be silver. Dents and holes mar the chests, no doubt where robbers over the years have attempted to open them.

EriktheRed
2013-07-06, 12:28 AM
Owain

Owain will look at the murals, studying the scenes depicted in them.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-06, 04:54 AM
Beren

Beren joins his Dwarven friend in the inspection of the walls. Every now and then a white spark of light fizzles around his shoulders and neck as he thinks deeply to see if this makes sense to him.

Rolling a knowledge check to see whether the mural or texts make any sense:

[roll0]
Arcana +6
Local/Nature/Religion +4
Dungeoneering/The planes +3

razorback
2013-07-06, 09:11 AM
Othreon walks over and sees if he can help with the mural before walking over to the chest. Looking at them he says "Do we want to fiddle with those? Since they are still closed, my guess is that they are trapped." Not waiting for an answer, he walks over to the entrance of the room keeps watch with his spear out.

Aid another on the mural
[roll0]
He has Arcana, History, Local, Nature, Religion, and the Planes all at +1.

Spot [roll1] and Listen [roll2] at the entrance

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-06, 10:36 AM
"My thanks, Owain." He mutters as the dwarf helps close the wounds.

"The chests bear dents and scratches, and yet there are no corpses in this room, nor structural damage of any kind. If they are trapped, the traps have not been triggered yet." He scans the murals for details and patterns, so that he might remember them later, but knows that he will not decipher anything important on his own. For now, he will focus on the chests while the others look over the murals.

Vincent approaches the sunken area, inspecting it first before moving down into it to search the chests themselves.

Taking a casual look at the sunken area itself: [roll0]

Taking 20 on the first chest to the right (28).

cameronpants
2013-07-08, 12:54 AM
The sunken area seems to hide no purpose, that it is merely for cosmetic allure.

The chest is made of what seems to be an alloy of steel and silver. There are no seams for a lid and no obvious latches or switches. Along the perimeter of the chest are a series of symbols.

Knowledge (History), (The Planes), or (Arcana).

RFLS
2013-07-08, 07:31 AM
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (The Planes): [roll1]

RFLS
2013-07-08, 02:50 PM
"I think...they're magically sealed. These runes say things about air, and courage, and seem to be intended to guard the chests themselves. Let me see if there's anything else I can learn about them..."

Decipher Script check: [roll0]

EriktheRed
2013-07-09, 03:43 AM
Owain

"What do you make of them? Should we try to get them open and see what is in inside?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-09, 04:12 AM
Beren

" 'Twas our assignment to breach and loot the place. Is it heavy?"

EriktheRed
2013-07-10, 04:32 AM
Owain

"There doesn't seem to be a way to open it. It looks like brute force has been tried before, but I could try and break it open."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-10, 07:26 AM
"Can we carry all the stuff in there? Otherwise it may be best to open it on the way out, so we are not burdened by it while exploring."

EriktheRed
2013-07-10, 04:01 PM
Owain

"Well, I don't see any dead bodies or scorch marks, and somebody clearly tried to force these boxes open before," Owain says, hefting his dwarven urgosh onto his shoulder, "shouldn't hurt anything for us to give it a try."

Owain steps forward, looks over the box to consider the best angle of attack, and then attempts to lift up the box so it is resting on its end before taking a few measured swings.

Taking a full-round action to carefully line up each swing, so no attack roll is necessary.
Damage:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Assuming that does nothing, as I fully expect it to do...

"Well, that was invigorating, but we are no closer to getting the box open."

razorback
2013-07-10, 10:13 PM
Othreon give a harsh look over his shoulder at all of the banging.
Someone close to him hears him say "At least no one is going to be surprised when they see us..."

cameronpants
2013-07-10, 10:40 PM
...and Othreon is attacked by a hungry looking wolf.

Bite: [roll0], Damage [roll1]
Trip if bite hits: [roll2]

And is then charged by another, hungrier-looking wolf.

Bite: [roll3], Damage [roll4]
Trip if bite hits: [roll5]

Beyond them, emerging from the shadowy alcove across the way, is a much larger wolf. This wolf looks well-fed, and has a purple scar running through the middle of its face.

Initiative

Wolves: [roll6], [roll7], [roll8]
Othreon: [roll9]
Owain: [roll10]
Iston: [roll11]
Vincent: [roll12]
Beren: [roll13]

Surprise round is over. Wolves go first, then the Party.

cameronpants
2013-07-10, 10:44 PM
The wolves are quick to follow up with their initial biting attempts, and the larger wolf pads up and joins in the attack.

Wolf 1: [roll0], Damage [roll1], Trip [roll2]
Wolf 2: [roll3], Damage [roll4], Trip [roll5]
Large Wolf: [roll6], Damage [roll7], Trip [roll8]

Only Wolf 2 hits, dealing 6 damage. Othreon needs to make a Str or Dex check versus DC 14 or be knocked prone.

One wolf scores a hit, latching on to Othreon's forearm, and attempts to drag him down.

EriktheRed
2013-07-10, 11:07 PM
Owain

If one or more wolves are in melee with Owain:

Owain hefts his dwarven urgosh, sending it swinging across towards the wolf in front of him, and then awkwardly lashes out with the spear on the weapon, hoping it will connect with something.

[roll0] To Hit with Axe side
[roll1] Damage with Axe side
[roll2] To Hit with Spear side
[roll3] To Hit with Spear side
crit confirm rolls, if applicable:

Axe: [roll4]
Axe crit damage: [roll5] additional damage
Spear: [roll6]
Spear crit damage: [roll7] additional damage

If no wolves are in melee with Owain:

Owain drops his dwarven Urgosh, and unslings his bow from his shoulder, firing a shot at the largest wolf.

[roll8] To Hit
[roll9] Damage
Includes Point Blank Shot
Crit confirm rolls, if needed:

[roll10] To Confirm
[roll11] Additional Damage

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-11, 01:46 AM
Beren

Startled, as he never saw them coming, Beren shouts out: "Hey!" He swings his greatsword at the nearest wolf, aims to get into flanking position if possible, and tries to get in a mean kick as well.

Strike at the nearest wolf, and if it was within 5 feet also an unarmed strike on it, or, if it goes down and another is close, on that one.

If he is flanking, add +2 to the attack rolls.
Greatsword: [roll0], [roll1]
Critconfirm: [roll2]

Unarmed strike: [roll3], [roll4]

razorback
2013-07-11, 07:15 AM
Othreon, turning back from the racket being made from hammering on the metal box, is surprised as the wolves descend upon him. Beating back all of the attacks but one, which savages his arm terribly, he leans back and kicks the animal, aiming for the soft spot under it's ribs in an effort to shake it loose.

"Up arms!" is all the time he has to say.

Othreon
AC ~17; Current ~ 17
HP ~ 12; Current ~6

Free Action
Yell out to companions

Standard Action
UAS on wolf that took a chunk out of him using Shadow Blade Technique
[roll0]
[roll1]

Crit Confirmation
[roll2]

Damage
[roll3]
+ potential cold damage [roll4]

Effects~
Stance - Child of Shadows
Maneuvers-
Distracting Ember (Boost/1)
Sapphire Nightmare Blade(Strike/1)
Shadow Blade Technique (Strike/1) X

cameronpants
2013-07-11, 10:13 AM
Othreon, with a well-placed sliding kick, sends the wolf sprawling. The creature rolls once and doesn't stand again.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-11, 01:42 PM
Vincent rushes to the wall beside the door, ready to stab the first wolf through with his halberd. He knows a trick that takes advantage of the surprise and leverage available in a position like this... "Othreon! Step back!"

Ready-action Attack
Inspiration Point, PA@1
Halberd: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

RFLS
2013-07-11, 03:06 PM
Iston

Iston sees the wolves coming in, and, thinking quickly, he draws a scroll of sleep from his belt, quickly casting it dead center in their pack.

UMD: [roll0]
Save DC is Will 16. Here are some rolls you can just apply their modifiers to, if that helps (least HD to most HD):
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

cameronpants
2013-07-11, 04:58 PM
The scrawny wolf, seeing a room full of meat, is momentarily distracted- Vincent's halberd lands swiftly. It slashes through the neck of the creature, clanging the metal blade upon the stone floor. The creature drops.

Meanwhile, Iston casts a spell from an scroll of vellum. As the runes on the page blaze with radiant light, the large wolf's eyes flash with the same bright illumination- and it slumps to the ground, snoring loudly.

EriktheRed
2013-07-11, 10:46 PM
Owain

Do these seem like normal wolves?

[roll0] Knowledge Nature

cameronpants
2013-07-11, 11:39 PM
Owain

Do these seem like normal wolves?

[roll0] Knowledge Nature

Other than seeming malnourished, two of the three wolves seem completely normal. The third, larger wolf has the scar down the middle of its skull. You hazard a guess, based on impact lines and healing, it was a battleaxe wound. It, too, seems like a normal wolf- the alpha of the small pack who ate all the food.

EriktheRed
2013-07-12, 02:54 AM
Owain

Owain looks down at the sleeping wolves. Best to put them out of their misery at this point. Nature isn't always forgiving, and these wolves may attack some less capable folk, since they no longer fear people like they ought.

Coup de grace #1 [roll0]
Coup de grace #2 [roll1]
Coup de grace #3 [roll2]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-12, 08:08 AM
Beren

Beren looks at Owain delivering his attacks and tilts his head, wondering about the complex druid mindset. "I am sorry that had to happen."

EriktheRed
2013-07-12, 08:17 AM
Owain

"So am I, but once an animal starts thinking that people are food, it is time for it to be put down. Even if its normal prey becomes once again plentiful, it will still see people as prey. I'd have done in the bear for the same reason, but I'm not sure we would have won that fight."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-12, 08:29 AM
Beren

"What if the bear was not hungry, but just defending his home? How can you tell?"

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-12, 02:45 PM
Vincent nods solemnly in agreement at Owain's words. It lined up pretty well with the way he would deal with evil folk. "Would you prefer we left them here?" He gestures at the corpses. Fur can always be sold.

RFLS
2013-07-12, 02:51 PM
Iston

"I think perhaps carry them outside. They were hungry, and died for it. The least we can do is allow others to feed to prevent their deaths, as well."

EriktheRed
2013-07-12, 03:06 PM
Owain

"I could tell from the look in its eyes. Also, from talking to it."

If someone suggests skinning the wolves for their hides, Owain will get to work on that. Survival [roll0]

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-12, 05:01 PM
"..." Vincent stares at the corpses for a moment, considering Iston's words. Then, silently, he grabs one of the wolves and begins hauling it towards the steps.

Will take all of them outside, given time.

razorback
2013-07-13, 12:39 PM
Othreon, a bit battered, helps Vincent and says "If you think the bear will eat them even if it didn't kill them, it might help with the beasts goodwill in the future. What do you think?"

cameronpants
2013-07-14, 01:23 AM
Vincent and Othreon each drag a wolf to the entrance to the cairn. As they near the front room, movement from outside catches their attention. The bear, having not quite left the surrounding area, grunts at the appearance of the two men. It eyes the wolves hungrily.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-14, 03:36 AM
Vincent slowly lays the wolf down and eases back towards the group. "Speak of devils, Othreon." He can't help but smirk, despite the situation.

razorback
2013-07-14, 04:09 PM
Othreon follows the other man's lead as he backs out and let's the bear have its way with the wolves. He then heads back into the cave.

RFLS
2013-07-14, 05:02 PM
Iston returns to the chests, attempting to find a way past the magics guarding them.

If, as I (player) suspect, they're held by a hold portal, would it be possible to use one of my scrolls of the same spell to counterspell it? I'm not 100% up to snuff on counterspelling and dispelling rules.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-15, 01:38 AM
Beren

"If needed, I have some tools on me." Beren rummages in his backpack and produces a hammer and a handaxe. Not of the weapon type, but plain and simple tools.

cameronpants
2013-07-15, 10:15 AM
Normally, no, Hold Portal, once cast, cannot be counterspelled or dispelled by itself.

However, I love modifying ongoing rules. And the idea of spells being 'reversible' is completely acceptable. In earlier editions, Knock and Lock were the same spell, as were plenty of others that were split. Now, while I wouldn't allow this in every circumstance, I think it's fitting that Iston can figure out a way to alter Hold Portal to Breach Portal, on the fly. Takes about 10 minutes and a Spellcraft check. I will use the above one for this purpose. Iston thinks he can do it, but it might get noisy.

RFLS
2013-07-15, 10:23 AM
Iston examines the chests for a few minutes, and then tells his companions "Okay, I can get this open. Give me a few minutes of peace and quiet. It may get noisy in here, though."

cameronpants
2013-07-15, 11:39 AM
As Iston gets to work, does anyone want to scout out the Cairn?

EriktheRed
2013-07-15, 03:46 PM
Owain will step just outside of the room, to provide an early warning if more prowlers come looking for tasty, tasty low level adventurer flesh. He'll stand just outside the light, so he can use his darkvision.

razorback
2013-07-16, 09:37 PM
As Othreon and Vincent make it back to the others, he nods at Owain at their approach.
Once safely in the room, he prays to Zuoken and, with eyes closed, touches his arm as he feels the healing energy work on the damage wrought by the wolf.

Converting Obscuring Mist to CLW
[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-07-17, 10:08 AM
Minutes stretch on. The silenece is broken sparodically by grunts or mumbling from Iston and strange popping noises from the chests. Iston learns the chests are linked, and that once one is opened it makes the others more difficult to breach.

Nine minutes after he started, Iston expends his scroll and the chest explodes, metal lid slamming loudly into the cieling. At the same time, both other chests seem to implode upon themselves, as if a void appeared inside them.

Inside the chest is a silver longsword, a silver dagger, a ceremonial chain shirt, a silver amulet on a chain, a silver handharp, and a pair of soft, expensive looking boots.

RFLS
2013-07-17, 10:16 AM
"Hmm...great care was taken to guard these. I wonder if, perhaps, they have some magic about them. Do any of you know how to look for such a thing? It is, sadly, beyond me without magical aids."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-17, 10:25 AM
Beren

"....No. Looks pretty all, though." Beren checks his bags. "I can carry some, if needed. I travel rather light."

EriktheRed
2013-07-17, 02:36 PM
Owain

"Shall we continue, then?"

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-17, 03:30 PM
Vincent peers over the silver treasure, taking note of visual details, and silently cursing the existence of curse-magic. With a longing look, he tears his sight from them and towards the darkness outside the room. "Lead on, Wolfslayer."

No detect magic here, and no room for more weight.

razorback
2013-07-18, 08:35 AM
Othreon, after his healing through the power of Zuoken, walks over to the newly opened chest.
He spends a few moments discussing whether the items are magic with Iston and they come up with a plan.
"Be ready." he concludes as he call forth the strength of Zuoken again today.

Casting Detect Magic on the items, spending the full minute trying to determine the auras of each item.
Sword
[roll0]
Dagger
[roll1]
Chain Shirt
[roll2]
Amulet
[roll3]
Harp
[roll4]
Boots
[roll5]

cameronpants
2013-07-18, 06:15 PM
Sword
(1d20+1)[18](19)
Magic, aura of transmutation.

Dagger
(1d20+1)[10](11)
Magic, aura of transmutation.

Chain Shirt
(1d20+1)[12](13)
Magic, aura of transmutation and illusion

Amulet
(1d20+1)[11](12)
Magic, aura of evocation

Harp
(1d20+1)[15](16)
Magic, Aura of Evocation (Roll Will DC 13 or be dazed)

Boots
(1d20+1)[19](20)
Magic, powerful aura of transmutation (roll Will DC 15 or be dazed)

RFLS
2013-07-18, 08:10 PM
Not sure if I need to roll, but here they are, just in case:
Will: [roll0]
Will: [roll1]

After the daze is over, assuming it happens, he's going to try twice to activate each item blindly, if it can be activated. DC is 25.

Sword:

[roll2]
[roll3]

Dagger:

[roll4]
[roll5]

Chain Shirt:

[roll6]
[roll7]

Amulet:

[roll8]
[roll9]

Harp:

[roll10]
[roll11]

Boots:

[roll12]
[roll13]

cameronpants
2013-07-20, 10:49 AM
Iston begins to handle the harp. He notices similar inscriptions upon it as were upon the chests: some lost dialect of Auran. He begins to sound out the words, realizing they are a combination of terms for 'Wind' and 'Power'- suddenly, without warning, a huge gust of wind picks up blowing from the southern wall.

Everyone in the room has to make a DC 14 reflex save or be blown 2d4x5 feet towards the northern wall which is 15 feet away. You may take damage for traveling further than the wall will allow.

[roll0] Iston
[roll1] Beren
[roll2] Owain
[roll3] Othreon
[roll4] Vincent

Does Iston continue with UMD checks?

cameronpants
2013-07-22, 08:01 AM
Vincent's Reflex: [roll0]

Everyone but Vincent is whipped up in the magical torrent of wind and hurled at the wall. Each of you is slammed into the stone wall, knocking the sense out of you. Vincent, grounding his feet and twisting to his side, narrowly escapes being picked up by the wind.

Damage
Iston [roll1]
Beren [roll2]
Owain [roll3]
Vincent [roll4]
Othreon [roll5]

RFLS
2013-07-22, 08:13 AM
Wait, what? Same thing happened with the boots?

cameronpants
2013-07-22, 01:19 PM
Wait, what? Same thing happened with the boots?

What? No, this is still the Harp. Haven't even gotten past it yet.
You muddled it, failing by more than 10 (you got a 14 on the second blind activation), which released some stored, ambient energy in the harp in a pseudo-Gust of Wind spell. For every full 10ft each of you were supposed to move past the wall, you took 1d6 damage. Vincent succeeded and wasn't moved at all.
You pick yourselves up, dust off... and does Iston continue with the blind activations? I asked earlier and you never answered.

EDIT: Beren and Owain take no damage, either. Muddled my own maths!

Only Iston and Othreon take damage.

RFLS
2013-07-22, 01:22 PM
What? No, this is still the Harp. Haven't even gotten past it yet.
You muddled it, failing by more than 10 (you got a 14 on the second blind activation), which released some stored, ambient energy in the harp in a pseudo-Gust of Wind spell. For every full 10ft each of you were supposed to move past the wall, you took 1d6 damage. Vincent succeeded and wasn't moved at all.
You pick yourselves up, dust off... and does Iston continue with the blind activations? I asked earlier and you never answered.

Oh. Okay. No, I think Iston'll be done now, after being smashed into a wall twice. He'll burn another scroll of CLW for [roll0] HP.

"....Ow. Well, I'm done trying that. Was anyone badly hurt?"

cameronpants
2013-07-22, 01:36 PM
Oh. Okay. No, I think Iston'll be done now, after being smashed into a wall twice. He'll burn another scroll of CLW for [roll0] HP.

"....Ow. Well, I'm done trying that. Was anyone badly hurt?"

No, only once. Just the one Gust of Wind effect. Why did you think it was twice?

RFLS
2013-07-22, 01:39 PM
Iston begins to handle the harp. He notices similar inscriptions upon it as were upon the chests: some lost dialect of Auran. He begins to sound out the words, realizing they are a combination of terms for 'Wind' and 'Power'- suddenly, without warning, a huge gust of wind picks up blowing from the southern wall.

Everyone in the room has to make a DC 14 reflex save or be blown 2d4x5 feet towards the northern wall which is 15 feet away. You may take damage for traveling further than the wall will allow.

[roll0] Iston
[roll1] Beren
[roll2] Owain
[roll3] Othreon
[roll4] Vincent

Does Iston continue with UMD checks?

Vincent's Reflex: [roll0]

Everyone but Vincent is whipped up in the magical torrent of wind and hurled at the wall. Each of you is slammed into the stone wall, knocking the sense out of you. Vincent, grounding his feet and twisting to his side, narrowly escapes being picked up by the wind.

Damage
Iston [roll1]
Beren [roll2]
Owain [roll3]
Vincent [roll4]
Othreon [roll5]

No, only once. Just the one Gust of Wind effect. Why did you think it was twice?

Because damage was rolled twice.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-22, 02:31 PM
Beren

Beren recovers from the Gust of wind, relieved that he managed to land on the wall without hurting himself. "I am fine, thank you. Let's carry on testing later." He walks towards Iston while opening his bag. "Put it in here, we figure it out later."

RFLS
2013-07-22, 02:37 PM
Iston:

Iston gingerly drops the harp into the bag, apparently very reluctant to be touching it at all anymore.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-22, 02:40 PM
Beren

Beren will continue to load up his bag with the rest of the stuff, unless people object (or it is more than 30 pounds of weight). "Let's carry on...and let us be careful. This place is dangerous."

razorback
2013-07-22, 10:17 PM
"If you don't mind, I think I'll keep watch outside the door."
Hefting his spear Othreon walks just outside the doorway to make sure they don't have any other surprise guests.

cameronpants
2013-07-23, 12:53 AM
Othreon finds nothing in the hallways- only the strange, melodious sound of the wind coming through the holes lining the walls. The strange lights from the next chamber over lend splashes of color to the otherwise dark hallways.

EriktheRed
2013-07-23, 02:32 AM
Owain

Owain waits impatiently for his party to gather before venturing forth.

RFLS
2013-07-23, 07:46 AM
Iston:

"We should really go look at those lights. They may help us understand what this place is. And they can't be more dangerous than that harp..." Iston grumbles while rubbing the back of his neck.

"That really hurt."

cameronpants
2013-07-24, 09:31 AM
The party moves further into the cairn. They head north, towards the room with the strange colored lights. They pass by another four-way intersection. To the west the passage has fully collapsed, to the east only partially collapsed. Both passageways seem to lead into rooms just beyond the collapsed portions of the hall.

The room with the colorful lights is mostly circular. In the center of the room, on a raised dais, is a massive stone coffin, its lid carved into the likeness of a tall man laying down. There are seven hallways leading off the pain central room, and each has a different light throbbing from it. At the terminus of each passage, a thick chain dangles from an unseen ceiling. Five of the chains bear lanterns, each burning with a different colored flame. Clockwise from the southwestern-most lantern, the colors are no lantern, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet.

For those who speak Auran

The melodious wind changes subtly, and the hidden tubes now speak words in ancient Auran. "enemy... sacrilege... hopeless..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-24, 09:38 AM
Beren

Beren looks around when they enter the room with the lights and the coffin. "Looks like a dead end...I wonder who maintains the lanterns, though." In his head, he is already heading back when he looks at his team mates. "Or are we here to rob graves as well?"

RFLS
2013-07-24, 11:03 PM
Iston:

Iston shakes his head as he walks around the room a little, ending up in front of the dais. Looking at it, he examines the lid briefly, and then calls for help in removing the lid. "Hmm...no red lantern? Strange....and I promise to not rob any graves, but I do want to look inside."

Knowledge (History) [Untrained]: [roll0] to see if Iston recognizes the tall man as a common folk figure or something similar.
Strength check: [roll1]

EriktheRed
2013-07-24, 11:16 PM
Owain

"Let me take a crack at that." Owain steps up to remove the lid.

Will take 10 first (12), then try again:
[roll0]

razorback
2013-07-25, 06:38 AM
Hearing the others start to talk about the coffin, Othreon says "It might be best of all of those not directly involved with cracking that coffin open to, maybe, exit the room? I have no intention of reliving being thrown about or worse."
With that, he walks just outside the room and keeps an eye and ear out for any trouble.

cameronpants
2013-07-25, 11:09 AM
The lid doesn't budge. Upon inspection, none of you immediately recognize the man. Around the tall man's head are Auran runes.

Decipher Script to figure out what the runes say. Also, you specifically were hired to loot the graves here. The owner of this plot of land doesn't want other adventurers coming down here to rob them, so he hired you lot to do it for him. Apologies if I didn't make that too clear.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-25, 11:16 AM
Right, sorry, I did not pick up on that.

Beren

"Looks like you guys need a hand, huh?" Beren approaches the coffin. "Anyone know what those scribbles mean?"

RFLS
2013-07-25, 07:12 PM
Iston:

"Yeah, we could....*grunt*...do with a...*grunt*....hand."

Iston pauses a moment to have another look at the writing, and then resumes pushing when all of them are ready to go.

Decipher Script: [roll0]
Strength check to Aid Another: [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-26, 01:48 AM
Beren

Beren walks over, checks whether there are hinges or whether it slides and starts working together with the others to open it, but not before he takes a moment to focus and envelop himself in a mental force barrier. Briefly, light blue light ripples over his body and dissipates.

Manifesting Inertial armor and then taking 10 first and then 20 to open this thing, for 14 and 24.

cameronpants
2013-07-29, 12:32 AM
The lid of the chest resists at first, but after some rough yanking and grunts, the seal cracks and it slides off. A puff of dust bursts into the air, the coffin being a different pressure than the surrounding room. Inside the coffin is a skeleton wearing respectable gold-inlaid armor and circlet. Its hands are folded across its sternum holding the hilt of a long, curved sword. As the stone lid crashes to the floor, the wind-whispering tubes change their words.

For those who speak Auran:
Death. Intruders. No escape.. Then it reverts to the previous repetitions.

EriktheRed
2013-07-29, 01:28 AM
Owain

Raised on stories of his parents fighting undead in crypts just such as these, he hefts his urgosh and watches the corpse for any sign of unlife.

Spot/Listen: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-29, 05:21 AM
Beren

Alerted by his Dwarven friends' sudden awareness ( did he understand those words? ), Beren readies his sword and peers around. "What's that?"

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

razorback
2013-07-29, 07:19 AM
Othreon hears from outside the doorway, the others heaving at the lid and the hinges giving. Not hearing any blast of and Beren speaking, he pops his head in to see if they are ok and, if nothing is going on, goes back to maintaining his watch so nothing sneaks up on them... again.

Spot
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

RFLS
2013-07-29, 09:40 PM
"Huh. Interesting. Wonder who he was?"

Iston stands and examines the corpse intently, ignoring his suddenly worried companions.

EriktheRed
2013-07-30, 02:24 PM
Owain

Resting his urgosh on his shoulder and shifting it into one hand, Owain reaches for the sword in the coffin, picking it up with his gauntleted left hand, while watching the corpse for signs of unlife. "This is what we were paid to come here for, after all."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-30, 02:38 PM
Beren

"Yes. Does not make it less disturbing." He peers into the coffin and touches the armor and circlet. "The armor and circlet look valuable as well. How are we going to carry all this stuff?"

EriktheRed
2013-07-30, 04:42 PM
Owain

"We could dump the body out of the coffin and use it as a cart," Owain says in his best deadpan voice.

RFLS
2013-07-30, 05:43 PM
"But we don't have any wheels on the...Oh. Sarcasm. Well...let's at least clear out the shiny stuff."

Ilfin picks up the gold circlet.

cameronpants
2013-07-31, 09:26 AM
As Owain's hand wraps around the curved sword, nothing out of the ordinary happens. Iston's removal of the circlet and subsequent armor, after several moments, proves to have no negative results.

The sword is a Falchion.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-07-31, 09:39 AM
Beren

Beren helps Iston remove the armor, or rather, removes it. "We need to find a place to stash things while we explore. This armor is really heavy."

razorback
2013-08-01, 06:45 AM
Othreon, hearing the discussion, chimes in through the doorway. "Maybe you can leave it there or with your new bear friend?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-01, 06:57 PM
Beren

"Ah yes. Owain, you can ask the bear to guard it, no? Maybe he wants to live here for a while. Or she." The broadshouldered man ponders a moment. "Was it a female or male?"

cameronpants
2013-08-05, 10:01 AM
Through the discussion, a tapping noise, loud enough to echo somewhat, starts moving closer from the direction of the Orange lantern's hallway.

razorback
2013-08-05, 10:24 AM
Othreon listens for a moment to see if there is any further noise but, as it subsides, he looks back at the others.
"While creepy, it does not mean we shouldn't investigate. You guys ready?"

He makes a small flourish with his spear before starting to walk down the hall towards the sound.

EriktheRed
2013-08-05, 11:37 AM
Owain

"I didn't ask. I also can't speak to it again today; I am tapped on any serious magic for the rest of the day."

Owain follows after Othreon.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-05, 03:31 PM
Beren

"I see," is the concise reply to his Dwarven friend. Beren nods at Othreon and follows his companions into the hallway, sword drawn.

RFLS
2013-08-05, 11:55 PM
Iston:

Iston mutters to himself as the others walk towards the noise "There's no way this ends badly...."

razorback
2013-08-06, 07:46 AM
As the others gather, Othreon pauses for a moment and, realizing his hurts could be a detriment, calls upon Zuokens power once again before heading down the hall towards the orange lantern.

Converting Shield to CLW
[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-08-06, 11:08 AM
The tapping noise appears to be some kind of chute under the orange lantern in the stone floor. It is circular, and has a concealed door on it. Some rubble seems to have worked its way under the edge, and the tapping noise is the door trying to shut repeatedly. Every so often, a piece of the rubble breaks off and goes skittering down the hallway, echoing taps as it goes.

razorback
2013-08-06, 02:31 PM
"Well... that is plain weird. So, do we try the hallway or see what is under that door right there?" Ortheon says with an obviously puzzled look on his face. A moment after he is done, he walks slightly in the direction of the hallways and extends his spear to see if this unusual phenomenon has any affect upon it.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-06, 03:11 PM
Beren

"Hmmm..." Beren looks as puzzled as he sounds. "Let's orientate ourselves better before we move on." He turns to move to some of the other lanterns. "For example, check to see if there are chutes under the other lamps as well?"

Seharvepernfan
2013-08-07, 10:16 AM
Vincent shakes his head as if waking up from a daydream, "We're being watched. They might try and herd us in a certain direction, so we should find everything we can on this floor before dedicating ourselves to going deeper. Or higher." He finishes with a glance to the ceiling.

Looking back towards the entrance, "I also don't care for the idea of someone coming in behind us and arming themselves with our loot. We should at least drag it behind us as we go, unless we're trying to be sneaky." At no point does he indicate that he would be willing to actually do so himself, however. He just stands warily glancing about, halberd in hand.

RFLS
2013-08-07, 02:37 PM
Iston:

"Huh. That's annoying...." Iston walks over to inspect the trap door, and tries to kick the rubble down into the chute.

cameronpants
2013-08-07, 05:11 PM
Iston easily nudges the rubble blocking the stone seal from shutting. Moments after closing entirely, the trapdoor opens again, all the way open, then closes again on its own. It repeats this open-close cycle a half dozen times, and finally comes to rest at the 'open' position.

Leading down is a thin spiral staircase. It leads into darkness.

razorback
2013-08-07, 11:02 PM
The others can hear a barely audible rumble come from the stony warrior as he pokes his spear down the staircase."I am of a mind that this can't be that easy.". Turning to look at the others as the spear tip rises from the descending hole towards the ceiling, he says "Besides some natural talents, I have scant skill at trying to find traps and such, which my gut tells me this is leading towards. Does any possess any skill in fnding or unravelling such devices? If not, I will take the lead and rely on my talents, training, and the blessing of Zuoken to protect me."

RFLS
2013-08-08, 03:31 PM
Iston:

"Well, we're burning daylight. Let's get going!"

Iston steps a few steps down the well, and then looks at the rest of the group.

"Well?"

EriktheRed
2013-08-08, 04:22 PM
Owain

Owan follows after him.

razorback
2013-08-08, 11:43 PM
Looking back at Vincent with an unreadable look on his stony face he says "You maybe right but it is best if we stick together. If you wish to keep the loot... Well, we may be able to divvy it up, althought that is not my preference." with that he begins to move towards the stairs.

cameronpants
2013-08-08, 11:44 PM
Iston and Owain descend the spiral staircase. It's dark, but at the bottom you find the room is illuminated by everburning toches in iron sconces, about every twenty feet. The room is square, and the walls are covered in a fresco depicting warriors with white skin wearing gold and silver armor. Some are standing at attention, some are battling great big shadow creatures. A single archway leads to a hallway at one side of the room. The hallway beyond is likewise lit by torches, and leads away about thirty feet. Fifteen feet into the hallway lies a door to on either side, directly across from one another. The hallway ends after thirty feet, but the hallway looks like it becomes a T-section for another hall.

There is some rubble down here and some of the walls look cracked. The source of the cracks is not readily apparent.

Anyone with at least 1 rank in Knowledge (local) or (geography)

The cracks were likely caused by an earthquake. Ranks in Local tell you there were a series of them in this area about ten or fifteen years ago.

EriktheRed
2013-08-09, 01:00 AM
Owain

Owain tests one of the everburning torches to see if it will come loose, since it might come in handy later.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-09, 01:46 AM
Beren

Beren shrugs and follows the group. Once they are down and see the damaged structures he says conversationally: "Bet this damage is due to them earthquakes when I was young....maybe fifteen years ago. There was a series of them..."

razorback
2013-08-09, 06:23 AM
Othreon nods in agreement with Beren. "I remember it well, too. The ground around here heaved as if the gods were angry and the animls behaved strangely for days."

KN:Arch & Eng to see if he can determine where the damage is, how safe the area is, and if it looks like an imminent collapse.

[roll0]

Seharvepernfan
2013-08-09, 02:37 PM
Vincent snorts and smirks. "A tomb for wind spirits, cracked open by an earthquake. The irony." He then grabs the lantern and moves towards the archway, bending down to look at the floor.

Gonna make a few search checks, for traps and such. Checking the archway, then the two doors. If he finds any, he tries to identify them, then tries to disable them unless that seems like a bad idea for whatever reason.

Search +8
Disable Device +9

EriktheRed
2013-08-12, 09:41 AM
Owain

Owain laughs boisterously at Vincents remarks, and waits for him to finish looking for traps.

razorback
2013-08-12, 02:35 PM
Othreon looks about at the others as he reaches the bottom of the staircase.

"Ready to keep moving on when the rest of you are."
He stands towards the lead of the group with spear at the ready.

"Vincent, why don't you stay in the lead and I'll be right behind you. The rest of you should stay back at least 10 feet in case we run into anymore traps. Everyone ok with that?"

Seharvepernfan
2013-08-12, 03:14 PM
"Sounds good to me, but you might regret it later." Vincent remarks without turning from his inspection.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-12, 03:26 PM
Beren

"Fine....just be careful." Beren decides to keep an extra eye out on the rear of the group. It would be a shame if they got jumped from behind.

razorback
2013-08-12, 05:51 PM
The rocky warrior-priest smiles back at Vincent "Perhaps... but, if that is true, I might not live to know it." He then gives himself a small chuckle.

cameronpants
2013-08-13, 10:56 AM
Search Checks for Vincent (I didn't see them, just your modifier).
[roll0]

Vincent finds no wires, plates, or aura of magical triggers. He deems the hallway, at least until the doors across from each other, to be devoid of traps.

RFLS
2013-08-13, 02:51 PM
Iston:

Iston carefully inspects one of the everburning torches, and then pulls it from the wall, holding it above his head as he examines the frescoes.

Search: [roll0] to check the torch for shenanigans like needles.
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll1] to see if he recognizes the shadow creatures.
Knowledge (Nature): [roll2] to see if he recognizes the shadow creatures.

razorback
2013-08-13, 04:09 PM
As Vincent goes through his routine, which he scans the ground and all of the various crevices to make sure the way is clear, Othreon keeps an eye out for other dangers.

He quips over his shoulder to the others "No sleeping in the back of the hay wagon."

Seharvepernfan
2013-08-13, 06:26 PM
"Hmm," Vincent grunts to himself. He stands up from his crouch and holds his halberd in both hands. "I didn't notice anything." Without another thought, he walks up to the t-section along one wall, and waits for the others to decide what to do.

Will use cunning insight on any saving throw, and MomentOPM first if it's a will save.

EriktheRed
2013-08-13, 10:20 PM
Owain

Owain walks up. "Let's go right," he says, as he starts that direction.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-14, 01:20 AM
Beren

At every bend or other orientation decision the group makes, Beren takes a moment to memorize their decision. Looking at the situation, he buries the decision deep in his unconsciousness.

Using Autohypnosis to remember these left and right decisions. Can I just take 10 on that? By doing so I beat the DC of memorizing a string of 800 words.

razorback
2013-08-14, 07:55 AM
"Owain, wouldn't you prefer to check these two doors first? Not a good time to find surprises behind and in front of us."

EriktheRed
2013-08-14, 08:03 AM
Owain

"Right. I'll keep an eye on this intersection while you check out the doors, that way we have everything covered."

razorback
2013-08-14, 08:16 AM
Nodding to Owain, Othreon looks at Vincent and mumbles "Ready when you are..." as he focuses himself for whatever lies on the other side of the door.

Othreon cast Resistance on Vincent

cameronpants
2013-08-14, 01:20 PM
@Owain:

The hallways, going east and west, extend another forty feet before both turning north at a ninety degree angles.

@Party:

The doors are simple and oaken. The hinges are rusted black metal. There is no obvious keyhole or other lock on the door, and the handle is a simple lever-latch.

RFLS
2013-08-14, 03:34 PM
Iston:

Iston grabs the western door and tries to open it, pushing the handle but not following the door if it's open.

Seharvepernfan
2013-08-14, 04:39 PM
Vincent moves into breach position beside the door before Iston tries to open it, halberd at the ready. He nods at Iston and Othreon.

cameronpants
2013-08-14, 11:55 PM
Beyond the western door is a small room, about twenty feet per side. There are the remains of makeshift beds in here. None look to have been used in at least a few dozen years. There are three footlockers in this room. One stands open and is empty while the other two are closed. There are no other exits from the room.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-15, 02:13 AM
Beren

Beren stays in the hall, his eyes still fixed on the rear-side of the group. "Anything in there?"

RFLS
2013-08-16, 11:54 PM
Iston:

"Eh, just some old lockers. Nothing of importance."

Iston goes through the room, kicking the lockers open one by one.

EriktheRed
2013-08-17, 01:11 AM
Owain

Owain continues to stand guard.

razorback
2013-08-17, 08:10 AM
As Othreon stands ready while Iston enters he mutters to no one in particular "Guardroom of some variety?"

cameronpants
2013-08-17, 10:11 AM
Iston finds a variety of disused wood and metal tools, mostly rusted with age. Some old clothes and a sack of metal parts catch your attention in the second locker- a pair of boots are still in good condition, even though they must be as old as the rest of the room.

If you inspect the room across the hall, it has the same features as this one.

razorback
2013-08-20, 07:42 AM
As the group does not find anything, Othreon looks back at Owain and says.
"It would seem that nothing is here, so it looks like you will get your wish. Right we go?"
He moves up to where Owain stands guard, spear at the ready, waiting for the others to catch up.

cameronpants
2013-08-20, 05:05 PM
Both hallways that turn north lead to a long rectangular room. Chandeliers loaded with everburning candles bathe the room in flickering, dim light. The nearer half of the long room looks to be both pantry and dining area, long wooden tables with wooden stools, barrels, and sacks of now-rotten food. The further half of the room looks to be some kind of workshop, complete with a kiln and forge. Racks of tools line the walls. Halfway into the room on the east and west wall are doors, simple and wooden.

Everyone make Perception checks

EriktheRed
2013-08-20, 05:19 PM
Owain

Owain looks around before heading towards one of the doors.

Perception: [roll0]

Was Owain able to retrieve one of the everburning torches from before, or were they too solidly attached to the sconce?

[roll1] Str check if applicable.

razorback
2013-08-20, 06:09 PM
Othreon scans the room, looking up at the ceiling as he notes the everburning candles.
"Those might be useful later on." he says out loud.

Listen
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]

cameronpants
2013-08-21, 10:33 AM
[roll0]
Othreon hears movement behind the door Owain is moving towards. He seems oblivious to it.

razorback
2013-08-21, 01:51 PM
Othreon grabs Owain by the shoulder, hissing in a low sound.

"Listen, did you hear that?" he whispers. "Definitely something on the other side of that door. You guys ready for this?" As he says this, he hefts his spear at the door, ready to deal with whatever comes through.

Readied action: once the door is open, prepare to attack any hostile creatures that may come through.

EriktheRed
2013-08-21, 02:13 PM
Owain

Owain will wait for everybody to be ready, and then open the door.

cameronpants
2013-08-21, 02:31 PM
The room beyond is dark. The light from the everburning torches held aloft my your party mixed with the candlelit chandeliers bathe the room in a dim orange light. There, standing in the center of the square room, is a brown-skinned creature. It stands hunched over, facing you, and two listless white eyes stare at the light sources around you. Purplish bruises and discoloration betray this creature's true nature. Almost instantly after the door is opened, it starts to sprint at Owain and Othreon, screaming a hollow warcry. The same moment, a horrible stench slams into your team, stomach contents roiling under the offensive assault.

Everyone: Fortitude DC 15 or Sickened for [roll0] minutes. Bonuses vs Poison (including immunity) affects this roll.
Knowledge (Religion) DC 14 to identify the creature:
It is a Ghast. It looks to have once been a tall dwarf of some kind.
DC 19:Ghasts have a decaying, unnatural stench that can cause those around it to become ill. Also, they carry a disease called Ghoul Fever, which can lead to death if left untreated.
DC 24 Ghasts, like their weaker cousins the Ghouls, can paralyze their victims with their claws and bites.

Othreon gets his readied action, and the creature provokes from Owain as it charges Othreon.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-21, 02:48 PM
Beren

Beren had been at the back of the group, keeping out an never very vigilant eye on the rear. When Othreon hears the sounds, he moves to the group at the door, and waits to see what is in there. When the door opens he is overwhelmed by stench before he can see what is attacking them, and when he does, he has no clue what this is...

He tries to find a way to step into a position to attack. If the rooms allows him to, he swings his sword at the thing and follows up with a swift kick.

Rolls:
Save vs poison: [roll0]
Knowledge (religion) [roll1]

Greatsword attack roll 7 (+2 if flank), damage 9
Unarmed attack roll 16 (+2 if flank), damage 8

Attack rolls in OoC thread

RFLS
2013-08-21, 02:50 PM
Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]
Fortitude save: [roll1]

razorback
2013-08-21, 03:03 PM
Othreon, spear at the ready, attempts to skewer the creature as it charges him.

Othreon

Fortitude Save
[roll0]

Kn:Religion check
[roll1]

AC ~17; Current ~ 17
HP ~ 12; Current ~11

Free Action

Move Action

Ready spear vs charge

Attack
[roll2]

Crit Confirmation
[roll3]

Damage
[roll4]

Effects~

cameronpants
2013-08-22, 12:59 AM
The creature sidesteps the blow from the sword and spear, but a low punch knocks it off balance as it steps swiftly by. Though, as it closes on its target, it leaves itself open to Othreon's allies.

Provoke from Owain and Beren. They are now flanking.

RFLS
2013-08-22, 08:10 AM
Iston:

Iston steps back from the creature, and grabs a scroll almost at random from his belt, muttering words from it rapidly.

A dog appears from nowhere, even as the scroll crumbles to nothing. With a snarl, it jumps at the ghast, teeth snapping.

Free: 5-foot step.
Full: Scroll of SM I

Dog charges, smites.

Attack: [roll0]

EriktheRed
2013-08-23, 12:59 AM
Owain

Owain retches from the stench of the creature, before swinging at the creature with his Urgosh.

Fails the save, misses the attack of opportunity, probably connects with the axe portion of his Urgosh with a 19 to hit (+2 from flanking and -2 from sickened cancel out) for 5 damage (-2 from sickened).

rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15878239&postcount=215)

cameronpants
2013-08-23, 09:04 AM
The putrid undead monster slams into Othreon, its weight and strength overwhelming. Its gnashing teeth shred cloth and flesh alike.

Attack In OOC, result 20
Damage [roll0]
If hit, Fort DC 12 vs Disease
If hit, Fort DC 12 vs Paralysis for [roll1] rounds

The razor-sharp teeth find purchase and sink deep into Othreon's shoulder.

EriktheRed
2013-08-23, 11:40 AM
Owain

Seeing his ally's muscles seize up, Owain attacks with what strength he can muster through the sickening stench.

[roll0], [roll1] (Axe Side)
[roll2], [roll3] (Spear Side)

RFLS
2013-08-23, 12:01 PM
Iston:

Iston backs up a little further, letting his dog attack and firing his little-used crossbow at the beast.

Dog:
Attack: [roll0]

Iston:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-08-24, 05:18 AM
Beren

This monster needs swift slaying, it looks like it is made of living sickness and walking rot. Determined to do better this time around, Beren swings his blade once more and executes another low kick.

Greatsword: [roll0] +2 if flank, damage [roll1]
Unarmed: [roll2] +2 if flank, damage [roll3]

Sickness accounted for, flanking not yet (as I am not sure whether we're flanking, but I guess so)

cameronpants
2013-08-26, 10:08 AM
Vincent hefts his halberd, planting an effective blow on the ghast's shoulder. It quickly recovers and lashes out at Owain and Beren, attempting to paralyze more foes. Both its black, razor-sharp claws miss Owain, and its gnashing teeth fail to find purchase on the nimble Beren.

Vincent, twisting his halberd with practiced efficiency, slides its hooked blade under the vile creature's leg. With a sharp twist, he sends the ghast sprawling. He follows up with an overhand chop, but the creature slides out of the way at the last minute.

Alright, new round. Beren is flanking with Owain, the dog is next to a paralyzed Othreon and Vincent is behind Othreon. The ghast now has a +4 AC against Iston's crossbow, and another +2 AC from soft cover.

New round for Othreon, Owain, Iston, and Beren.