PDA

View Full Version : Alternate paladin mounts

EvilJames
2013-06-18, 02:04 AM
I've looked at the various guides about paladins and mounts and such, but I noticed something was missing. Now I'm wondering why. They all mention getting different mounts through feats and prestige classes but no one has mentioned getting alternate mounts the same way a ranger or druid gets bigger companions, I know there are a number of them. A 3.0 book mentioned unicorns being only a minus 1 to you effective paladin level and I think the Draconomicon has some sort of drake mount from Bahamut that you could take at 11th level.

What are peoples thoughts on theses alternate mounts?
Can anybody think of any more?

Gwendol
2013-06-18, 02:25 AM
The DMG page 205 lists alternative paladin mounts which can be taken without the need for prestige classes or feats.

Coidzor
2013-06-18, 02:31 AM
Well, there's the Drakkensteed which is more of an ACF for the special mount from Dragon Magic, IIRC.

Urpriest
2013-06-18, 09:40 AM
In a Core-only game, a Pegasus-mounted lance-charger is one of the better Paladin builds.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-06-18, 09:45 AM
Knight of the Iron Glacier (Frostburn) gives you a War Megaloceros, a giant badass reindeer.

And it stacks for Paladin progression.

EvilJames
2013-06-18, 10:19 AM
Huh I missed the ones in the dmg. Still It's funny that they never get mentioned in the paladin handbooks people write.

Flickerdart
2013-06-18, 11:04 AM
The guidelines are ridiculously abusable without a DM watching over them - grab literally any creature, give them one level in the Lycanthrope template for a Large quadruped (which gives them the form, but none of its statistics, for +1 CR) and now they're a suitable mount if they're low enough CR for you to have them.

Harrow
2013-06-18, 11:47 AM
It's kind of the same reason why people at best only mention Leadership in their handbooks even though it's a very strong feat for just about any build ; DM oversight. Most things in 3.5 assume it's allowed unless otherwise stated. Alternate Paladin Mounts are just the opposite, instead requiring you to specifically get DM permission for them. This makes their general access and power level vary wildly.