PDA

View Full Version : Swift Hunter without Ranger levels

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-18, 09:10 AM
So, let's say I want to build a Scout and pick up the Swift Hunter feat so that my skirmish attacks can affect favored enemies normally immune to skirmish damage. In order to qualify for the feat, I need to pick up Favored Enemy. I can either do this with a dip in the Ranger class or one of a number of Prestige Classes. My DM enforces XP penalties for multi-classing, and none of the races I have been considering have either Ranger or Scout as a favored class.

What is the most efficient way to pull this off?

So far I have looked at Stalker of Kharesh which would require 3 feats and a 2-level dip in the PrC. This is already a feat-starved archer build however, since I am aiming for Greater Manyshot, so something a bit less feat-intensive would be preferable.

Other ideas, anyone?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 09:28 AM
Play a psionic race or get the feat that grants 1pp.
Take the track feat
Get +4 bab
4 ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering).
Take 1 level of slayer. You get a favored enemy, it must be a psionic creature. Some undead are psionic, so you should be able to pick undead as the type.

1-2 feats, 1 level dip.

Drelua
2013-06-18, 09:31 AM
Honestly, if I was in your position Plan A would be to convince the DM the multi-class XP penalties are a horrible idea in every possible way.

Failing that, you options as I see it are, of course, to keep ranger and scout levels within 1 of each other, or to Ctrl+F your way through this list of Prestige Classes (http://www.iourn.com/dnd/masterlists/masterclass/generalclass/prestigeclasses.htm) looking for anything gives Favoured Enemy and see if there's anything there that could help.

nedz
2013-06-18, 09:34 AM
You could do it with the Druid ACF — Deadly Hunter (UA, p 58)

Or the Barbarian ACF — Crafty Hunter (UA, p 58)

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 09:35 AM
Steel Legionnaire from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting p68 looks like it gets favored enemy without feat prereqs.

thethird
2013-06-18, 09:37 AM
If you are playing in faerun, taking foe hunter will give you a favored enemy.

Darrin
2013-06-18, 09:57 AM
How about:

Crescent Moon Knight (Champions of Valor, vs. lycanthropes)
Darksong Knight (Champions of Valor, vs. yochlols)
Darkwood Stalker (Complete Warrior, "Ancient Foe" vs. orcs)
Deadgrim (Magic of Eberron, vs. undead)
Holy Judge Paladin (Champions of Valor, vs. devils)
Gnome Giant Slayer (Complete Warrior, vs. giants)
Scar Enforcer (Races of Destiny, vs. elves/humans)
Stalker of Kharash (BoED, vs. evil)
Swanmay (BoED, vs. swanmay enemies)

Darkwater Knight (Dragon #314, vs. aquatic)
Hunter of Fiends Paladin (Dragon #349, vs. evil outsiders)
Hunting Monk (Dragon #310)
Wyrmslayer Paladin (Dragon #332, vs. dragons)

You can also get +1d6/AC+1 skirmish without Scout: Highland Stalker 4, which you can get into with sneak attack, Track, BAB +5, and some skills.

Vaz
2013-06-18, 10:10 AM
Just going to point out here that you will not be able to stack Stalker of Kharash et al with Ranger for the Favoured Enemy. However, it does still benefit from the ability to add precision damage.

From List of Stuff (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1412.0)

Fighter 6 (Darksong Knight substitution level), Champions of Valor - Yochlols only
Ranger 1 & 5 & 10 & 15 & 20
Ranger 1, class variant, Complete Mage - Favoured Enemy (Arcanists)
Paladin 4 (Crescent Moon Knight substitution level), Champions of Valor - lycanthropes only
Paladin 4 (Shadow Cloak Knight substitution level), Champions of Valor - humanoid subtype
Paladin 1 (Holy Judge substitution level), Champions of Valor - devils only
Rogue 2 (Golden Hand of Vergadain substitution level), Champions of Valor Web Enhancement - organization opposed to dwarves
Slayer 1, ecl 5, Expanded Psionics Handbook - specific type of psionic creature only
Darkwood Stalker 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 6, Complete Warrior - orcs only, functionally same, but different name
Gnome Giant Slayer 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 6, Complete Warrior - giants only
Knight of the Chalice 1, 3, 6, 9/10, ecl 9, Complete Warrior - Fiendslaying: against evil outsiders only
Goliath Liberator 1, 5/5, ecl 8, Races of Stone - giants only
Scar Enforcer 1, ecl 6, Races of Destiny - humans and elves
Leviathan Hunter 2, 4/5, ecl 7, Stormwrack - only against huge or larger...
Abolisher 1, 4, 8/10, ecl 7, Lords of Madness - abberations only
Eldeen Ranger 4, ecl 9, Eberron Campaign Setting
Cyran Avenger 2, 5/5, ecl 7, Eberron: Five Nations, enemy region
Duraak'ash 4, 9/10, ecl 9, Eberron: Dragonmarked
Deadgrim 2, 5/5, ecl 7, Magic of Eberron - undead only
Impure Prince 2 & 6, ecl 7, Magic of Eberron - abberations only
Unnatural Enemy, feat, Player's Guide to Eberron (p.86) - extra +2 against abberations, see text
Revenant Blade 4, ecl 9, Player's Guide to Eberron - called "Giant Slayer", +4 bonus
Shade Hunter 8, ecl 13, FR: Champions of Ruin - only stacks with existing, vs shades only
Foe Hunter ?, ecl ?, Player's Guide to Faerun - depends on region
Stalker of Kharesh 2, ecl 7, Book of Exalted Deeds, evil creatures
Swanmay 2, ecl 7, Book of Exalted Deeds, see text
Corrupt Avenger 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 7, Heroes of Horror - against a specified single creature type, also gain rage like ability

Special Mention
Improved Favoured Enemy, feat, Complete Warrior
Ranger, elf substitution level, Races of the Wild, favoured enemy +3
Ranger, class variant, Cityscape Web Enhancement, gain rival organizations rather than favoured enemies
Mythic Examplar (Orsos) 3, 5, 7, 9/10, ecl 7, Complete Champion
Imaskari Vengeance Taker 1, ecl ?, FR: Underdark, see text
Nemesis, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, can sense favoured enemies, extra damage, see text
Leviathan Hunter, ecl 6, Stormwrack
Vow of Vengeance, feat, Drow of the Underdark
Paragnostic Initiate 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, "discern weakness", see text

Cog
2013-06-18, 10:13 AM
Another option is the feat Additional Favored Class from Unearthed Arcana. On the one hand, it sucks to spend a feat for so minor a bonus, but on the other hand, many PrCs would also waste a poor feat to enter, and you get to progress both Skirmish and Favored Enemy with your levels, which PrCs won't do.

Snowbluff
2013-06-18, 10:37 AM
2 Things before I start:

1) Read the multiclass rules, realize if you alternate levels you'll never pay penalties.

2) You haven't considered human?

Now, for a PrC, PrC Ranger is Ranger, and it's a PrC.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-18, 11:04 AM
1) Read the multiclass rules, realize if you alternate levels you'll never pay penalties.
Already looked into this. Scout 10/Ranger 10 really isn't looking all that attractive. They cover some of the same ground (flawless stride and woodland stride, evasion from both) and the ranger spells at this point are meh (1 each of first and second level). Honestly, I don't see much advantage in anything beyond Ranger 6 at the most, and could easily sacrifice the whole class without losing any sleep if I could gain the advantages of Swift Hunter without it.

2) You haven't considered human?
The build I am working on is a flying scout. As I am trying to avoid a level adjustment (no LA buyoff :smallfrown:) it is looking like Dragonborn of Bahamut (Wings aspect) is my best bet. Since I need a high DEX score for Greater Manyshot, I've been trying to work with a base race that offsets the Dragonborn DEX penalty.

Now, for a PrC, PrC Ranger is Ranger, and it's a PrC.
I didn't mention sourcebook limitations in my OP, because I was interested in what options are out there beyond just the current game I am in. Prestige Ranger is an interesting idea I will admit, however my current DM is against all things UA.

Just going to point out here that you will not be able to stack Stalker of Kharash et al with Ranger for the Favoured Enemy.
I realize that only my Scout and actual Ranger levels will count, which is why I was calculating both the 3 feats and the 2-level dip as the cost of going this route.

You can also get +1d6/AC+1 skirmish without Scout: Highland Stalker 4, which you can get into with sneak attack, Track, BAB +5, and some skills.
An interesting point - I suppose going straight Ranger instead of straight Scout may be another alternative worth considering. I could dip a PrC for the skirmish requirement in order to avoid XP penalties. I will have to take a look at that option.

Play a psionic race or get the feat that grants 1pp...Take 1 level of slayer. You get a favored enemy, it must be a psionic creature. Some undead are psionic, so you should be able to pick undead as the type...
I have seen others mention something like this in the forums before, but the only 'slayer' I have found is the Illithid Slayer. Am I missing something?

Overall, there have been some great suggestions - mostly from sourcebooks off-limits for this campaign but worth keeping in mind if I ever want to attempt this in another campaign. Thanks for all the input.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 11:18 AM
Illithid slayer was redone on the official SRD with the references to Illithid removed.

Link! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)

ksbsnowowl
2013-06-18, 01:50 PM
Abolisher is a prestige class from Lords of Madness that gives Favored Enemy: Aberrations. It also grants some medium-size wildshape, so you could pounce with your skirmish.

There is also a regional feat from Forgotten Realms (campaign setting/PGtF) that gives you a favored enemy. I forget the name of the feat, but it is another way to qualify for Swift Hunter.

thethird
2013-06-18, 01:58 PM
There is also a regional feat from Forgotten Realms (campaign setting/PGtF) that gives you a favored enemy. I forget the name of the feat, but it is another way to qualify for Swift Hunter.

If you are playing in faerun, taking foe hunter will give you a favored enemy.

Beat you to that :smallsmile:

ksbsnowowl
2013-06-18, 03:10 PM
Doh! :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2013-06-18, 04:13 PM
Already looked into this. Scout 10/Ranger 10 really isn't looking all that attractive. They cover some of the same ground (flawless stride and woodland stride, evasion from both) and the ranger spells at this point are meh (1 each of first and second level). Honestly, I don't see much advantage in anything beyond Ranger 6 at the most, and could easily sacrifice the whole class without losing any sleep if I could gain the advantages of Swift Hunter without it. Ranger is very useful. The animal companion can be used as a mount. It can be swapped out for an Urban Companion, which is essentially a better Familiar. There are some useful spells available, or you can swap them out for feats.

Scout4/Ranger4(Urban Companion, Champion of the Wild) going for Master of Poisons (all arrows have poison from your Sea Snake Urban Companion), Dead eye (Dragon Compendium, was errataed to only need 1 BaB), Greater Many Shot (Or Travel Devotion), Swift Hunter, and Improved Skirmish is the sweet spot for Swift Hunters in general.

The build I am working on is a flying scout. As I am trying to avoid a level adjustment (no LA buyoff :smallfrown:) it is looking like Dragonborn of Bahamut (Wings aspect) is my best bet. Since I need a high DEX score for Greater Manyshot, I've been trying to work with a base race that offsets the Dragonborn DEX penalty.Hm... Too bad Raptoran don't have ranger as a favored class.

I didn't mention sourcebook limitations in my OP, because I was interested in what options are out there beyond just the current game I am in. Prestige Ranger is an interesting idea I will admit, however my current DM is against all things UA.

Ouch, that's sour. Unseelie Fey could solve your problem in games where Dragon Compendium is allowed.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-18, 04:48 PM
I'd really like to try out some of these builds in other campaigns. For the current campaign, I am starting to think this isn't going to be feasible. :smallannoyed: I may just go with a dragonblood human and do a multi-class ranger/scout after all, picking up Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings from RoD for my flight options. :smallsigh:

Grayson01
2013-06-18, 08:06 PM
Check out Races of Eberron and Shifter alternate Traits I think there is a swift wing Shifter Trait that allows flight and Ranger is a Favored Class for shiftier.

Grayson01
2013-06-18, 08:30 PM
Check out Races of Eberron and Shifter alternate Traits I think there is a swift wing Shifter Trait that allows flight and Ranger is a Favored Class for shiftier.