PDA

View Full Version : Robot Staff meeting

unseenmage
2013-06-18, 11:42 AM
I'm designing an augmented Moving Tower for my Hordificer and I'm going to staff it with Effigies instead of people.

I could just use self-portrait Effigies but my character is a gnome, not very impressive for home defense.

What are some 1 racial HD creatures that would make decent Effigy servants who can still defend my home if necessary?

Edit: For the record, I'm making them 1 HD so they're as cheap as possible, though they're still going to need to be between sm and lrg size. Then I'm adding Int and skill boosts using the PF modifying constructs rules the Sacred Guardian template.

Edit2: Human is winning my vote so far because of the free feat that potentially survives Effigy-i-fi-cation so long as it's combat based.

Deadline
2013-06-18, 11:46 AM
Any of the PHB races should do. Pixies might work as well. Orcs and Hobgoblins also have potential. I think Gnolls and Lizardfolk are all at least 2 HD, so they probably won't work for what you want.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-18, 11:48 AM
Goliath are nice for the powerful build. It gets you more bang for your size cost buck. One could even argue that they should get the greater size bonus to their HP without the size penalty to their cost. let them man oversized siege weapons.

Icewraith
2013-06-18, 12:09 PM
Staffs by definition don't have any articulation, how are you planning to make them robotic?

:smalltongue:

Big Fau
2013-06-18, 12:24 PM
Leadership for a bunch of Warforged followers, all with levels of Crusader to make them even tougher?

unseenmage
2013-06-18, 12:29 PM
Leadership for a bunch of Warforged followers, all with levels of Crusader to make them even tougher?

Specifically building Effigies and including them in the Stronghold base price as Wondrous Items. That and Warforged aren't allowed in our Faerun campaign at the moment. Good idea though.

unseenmage
2013-06-18, 12:32 PM
Staffs by definition don't have any articulation, how are you planning to make them robotic?

Technically one could give them the Flying weapon enhancement from one of the Faerun books which makes them count as animated objects then make them Intelligent Items and finally put Telekinesis or Mage Hand in them a certain number of times per day.

But that would be just a tad more expensive than I'm capable of at the moment. Esp as I'm looking at 8-10 staff members at this point.

unseenmage
2013-06-27, 12:41 PM
Any ideas on a basic array of magic equipment for these Effigy servants?

Helm of Battle comes to mind, as does Handy Haversack.

I'm looking for basic utility magic items useful to Constructs who're Intelligent but only have one HD.

Darth Stabber
2013-06-27, 01:32 PM
I don't have the rules for effigies handy, but are there any rules against using templated creatures? Half-dragon orcs perhaps?

unseenmage
2013-06-27, 01:44 PM
I don't have the rules for effigies handy, but are there any rules against using templated creatures? Half-dragon orcs perhaps?

Strictly speaking there are not. That's the basis for the Mr. Roboto build that gets referred to so often in Effigy advice threads.

For my purposes though I'm avoiding them. Will help keep both myself and my DM sane. :smallsmile:

However, in the future I hope to work up how long in-game it would take a character to actually apply template after template via judicious use of the Savage Species transformative rituals and Incarnate Construct spell.