PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining Magic Items?

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 03:53 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

I'm a first time DM who's never played DnD, playing with first time players :). So none of us have much experience, but we're all interested and excited.

I ran one session based off of a 3.5 module, which really only had combat and exploring a dungeon, to familiarize everyone with the rules. It went really well; everyone had fun and we're all coming back for another session. I've written out a campaign, and have been reading a bunch of journals on this website. So here comes my issue:

My players love realism. 100%. In many journals I've read, if a player has gold, they also have access to any item in that price range. That doesn't seem so realistic to me. What store just has every conceivable magical item ready for purchase? I'm sure my players will take issue with that.

So how do they get magic items? I don't want them to have to run through a dungeon every time they want a new item, or for them to submit requests to me for items that will later turn up. That seems a little forced. So, does anyone have any good techniques for this? I was thinking Artificers could help, but I don't really know how they work. Thanks in advance!

Flickerdart
2013-06-18, 03:56 PM
The DMG has rules for what kind of magic items should be available in what size settlements; it is assumed that you can buy or commission any item in that range there. Outside of that, occasional hermit wizards will probably be happy to make their apprentices craft the party something in exchange for a fee or a quest (one that advances the plot, mind - there's nothing duller than taking time off from the plot every single time the game math says you should have a +1 better sword).

tyckspoon
2013-06-18, 04:00 PM
The standard method is to abstract the purchasing process- you don't have characters stroll into a shop and go 'Ok, gimme a +2 sword and a couple bundles of +1 arrows.' They ask around with their contacts, maybe spend some time doing few Gather Information/Diplomacy type activities, and find out who in the community has and is willing to sell the items they're interested in. And then they go buy them from those individuals. The *end* result is that the PLAYER tells you "Ok, I'm using my treasure to get a +2 sword and some +1 arrows", but that's not what the character is doing (just like when you tell the players 'you arrive at the city after a couple days of uneventful travel', it doesn't mean the characters spent the whole time doing nothing at all.) I've found this generally satisfactory unless your players are really into roleplaying that kind of thing... it also helps if you build your adventure plans with downtime periods for this kind of thing to happen in. Parties shouldn't be out hunting down new enemies 7 days a week year-round.

If you're wondering where the items come from.. yeah, putting Artificers in your setting helps. They can make pretty much anything, and if they're only dealing as the point of contact for getting your players the gear they want then you don't need to know too much more about them.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-18, 04:01 PM
Check out the thread "ye olde magik shoppe.... humbug" on the first page of this sub-forum. We've been discussing this issue at some length.

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 04:17 PM
Perfect, thanks everyone!
Kelb, that thread is really useful, wish I'd seen that before posting :p

From what I've read, I think I'll end up making very low level/commonplace magical stuff available from stores in larger towns. The mid-range stuff will have to be on commission, and I'll leave that to the players imagination. I haven't started them with contacts, but I'll make sure they run into a few or at least learn that temples/guilds can make items on commissions. Higher level stuff will probably need to be found, but I'll figure that out when I get there.

Thanks again everyone!

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-18, 05:04 PM
The easiest way is to have the players tell you out of character what they want and then come up with an IC reason for them to get it.

Flickerdart
2013-06-18, 05:11 PM
The easiest way is to have the players tell you out of character what they want and then come up with an IC reason for them to get it.
Which, if you read the first post, is exactly what the OP doesn't want to do.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-18, 05:12 PM
Perfect, thanks everyone!
Kelb, that thread is really useful, wish I'd seen that before posting :p

From what I've read, I think I'll end up making very low level/commonplace magical stuff available from stores in larger towns. The mid-range stuff will have to be on commission, and I'll leave that to the players imagination. I haven't started them with contacts, but I'll make sure they run into a few or at least learn that temples/guilds can make items on commissions. Higher level stuff will probably need to be found, but I'll figure that out when I get there.

Thanks again everyone!

Don't forget Donjon's Random Magic Shop Generator (http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/magic/shop.html) and accompanying inventory list. It's a good way to represent a magic item's revolving inventory.

I do magic item commission only, and having the right contacts are essential in my games. Realistically, why would anyone have specific objects on site? Safer to just have the raw materials and craft to order.

Having a poor reputation in an area might also dissuade honest magic merchants from doing business with your players, so feel free to jack up the price when they seek the black market. Some duchies and counties (or kingdoms) may also require a background check for certain magic item levels; which may necessitate a bribe from the local sheriff if they can't meet the standard. After all, we don't want criminals (murder-hobos) from getting magic to further endanger the entire community?

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 06:02 PM
Don't forget Donjon's Random Magic Shop Generator (http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/magic/shop.html) and accompanying inventory list. It's a good way to represent a magic item's revolving inventory.

I do magic item commission only, and having the right contacts are essential in my games. Realistically, why would anyone have specific objects on site? Safer to just have the raw materials and craft to order.

Wow, awesome link, definitely bookmarking that. And as to the second, I agree - knowing my players, they'd just try to steal things if they were on site. I definitely like some of the other ideas you threw out, so thanks for those too!

Right now, I think I'll try to get them some contacts through IC gameplay, who have specialized fields of magical items they can supply. For example, I know there are going to be a bunch of dwarven characters in the next two sessions, so I'll write one in as a magesmith who works on contract, and will probably end up owing a favor or two to the players :)

Big Fau
2013-06-18, 06:05 PM
Just a quick note: It's perfectly acceptable to use the term "+1 Longsword" in-character. WotC actually condoned doing so in the Magic Item Compendium.

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 06:56 PM
Just a quick note: It's perfectly acceptable to use the term "+1 Longsword" in-character. WotC actually condoned doing so in the Magic Item Compendium.

Hmm, personally (and knowing my players) I think I might stay away from that. I might just flavor it more with fluff - turning a +1 longsword into a longsword crafted by the smiths of *city name*, renowned for their steel working abilities. Or something :p

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-18, 06:59 PM
Hmm, personally (and knowing my players) I think I might stay away from that. I might just flavor it more with fluff - turning a +1 longsword into a longsword crafted by the smiths of *city name*, renowned for their steel working abilities. Or something :p

I definitely would encourage this option; the more your players feel like d20 is a video game, the more abstract they will get and make silly decisions.

Would you believe Donjon has an app for naming magic items (http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#legendary_weapon)? Explore the whole site; it's got some great tools for GMs (including the random world generator, the random inn generator complete with patrons, the SRD's treasure tables, random weather generator, etc.)

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 07:13 PM
I definitely would encourage this option; the more your players feel like d20 is a video game, the more abstract they will get and make silly decisions.

Would you believe Donjon has an app for naming magic items (http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#legendary_weapon)? Explore the whole site; it's got some great tools for GMs (including the random world generator, the random inn generator complete with patrons, the SRD's treasure tables, random weather generator, etc.)

That's honestly such a great resource, I'm DEFINITELY gonna be using it heavily this Friday :)

EDIT: And yeah, I'm probably gonna do that, especially since this is our first time playing. They're interested in role playing, just not used to it yet so giving everything a story should help!

Flickerdart
2013-06-18, 07:19 PM
If I ever use random item naming, it will be the generator from Dredmor.

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 07:23 PM
If I ever use random item naming, it will be the generator from Dredmor.

Mind sending over a link? A quick google for Dredmor item generator only gets me to a game called Dungeons of Dredmor... is that it?

Flickerdart
2013-06-18, 07:33 PM
Mind sending over a link? A quick google for Dredmor item generator only gets me to a game called Dungeons of Dredmor... is that it?
Dungeons of Dredmor, yes. It's a very tongue in cheek roguelike whose non-unique artifacts follow the naming pattern of [alphabet soup] the [verb] of [nouns], where the verbs and nouns are completely inappropriate for a fantasy setting.

IslandDog
2013-06-18, 07:42 PM
Dungeons of Dredmor, yes. It's a very tongue in cheek roguelike whose non-unique artifacts follow the naming pattern of [alphabet soup] the [verb] of [nouns], where the verbs and nouns are completely inappropriate for a fantasy setting.

Hah, that sounds hilarious! I'll check it out if I get a chance, thanks :)