PDA

View Full Version : A like button would be nice

pendell
2013-06-18, 05:59 PM
I realize this may not be technically possible, but it'd be nice to be able to thumb/up or thumb/down post. It would save me some typing, and if a post collects like or dislikes it can give immediate feedback as to how a particular post is received, both to the original author and to anyone else considering a response. If the post garners 497 likes, it's probably worth a rebuttal.

It might also be a clue to the more obdurate poster that they are on a wide variety of ignore lists.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Succubus
2013-06-18, 06:06 PM
Hmmm, dunno about this. While I agree with the arguments you put forward, I can see this leading problems.

People offering to trade "likes" for the sole purpose of seeing how many they can rack up, like the whole XYZ in the Playground thing. Then you've got folks that hold grudges and automatically downvote just because they dislike the person, regardless of the content of the post.

Remember when you very young, you'd have someone come up to you in the playground (an actual playground, rather than our home) and say "I don't like you anymore, nyer, nyer". Now imagine that on a forum wide scale with a hefty sprinkling of Drama.

137beth
2013-06-18, 06:08 PM
I fear this would just turn in to a popularity contest. Which I don't think is a very good idea.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-06-18, 06:12 PM
The forum policies have and the moderators have a long history of discouraging anything that singles out posters in any way or in any way resembles a popularity contest. It's even been discouraged to say "Welcome to the boards" or similar to someone outside of a post they've made in the Welcome thread.

I sincerely doubt this will even be considered.

Grinner
2013-06-18, 06:18 PM
I'm going to echo the above sentiments with one additional point. Sometimes, I do wish I had some means of expressing general agreement or sympathy to a post to which I have very little else to say. However, for the reasons stated above, I don't think such a thing would turn out well.

Rawhide
2013-06-18, 06:36 PM
We are not planning any such feature for the forums, sorry.