PDA

View Full Version : God I love the internet!

Traab
2013-06-18, 08:41 PM
Heh. My 91 year old granny got her extensive blood work test results mailed to us today, and since we are not doctors, very little of it meant anything other than, "Oh, apparently, this is higher/lower than it should be" So I fired up the good old google and started typing. Managed to track down what every test was for, and what it meant with no muss or fuss. Turns out like a third of them all were related to her kidneys, another third to her anemia, and the final third to her blood sugar levels. But its still a nice thing to know, cause there were a LOT of results. Thankfully with google to translate we figured out like 90% of her issues will be solved by drinking more water since currently she doesnt drink many fluids and what she does drink is usually a nice sugary juice.

TaiLiu
2013-06-18, 08:44 PM
Hooray! May your grandmother live another lifetime! :smallsmile:

noparlpf
2013-06-18, 09:58 PM
Heh. My 91 year old granny got her extensive blood work test results mailed to us today, and since we are not doctors, very little of it meant anything other than, "Oh, apparently, this is higher/lower than it should be" So I fired up the good old google and started typing. Managed to track down what every test was for, and what it meant with no muss or fuss. Turns out like a third of them all were related to her kidneys, another third to her anemia, and the final third to her blood sugar levels. But its still a nice thing to know, cause there were a LOT of results. Thankfully with google to translate we figured out like 90% of her issues will be solved by drinking more water since currently she doesnt drink many fluids and what she does drink is usually a nice sugary juice.

Nifty. But, uh, couldn't her doctor tell you all of that? :smallconfused:

Grinner
2013-06-18, 10:33 PM

Probably not without scheduling an appointment.

Anyway, the Internet is very good source of information, assuming you know how to separate the signal from the noise, but it doesn't have everything, not yet.

Traab
2013-06-19, 06:03 AM

Could have, but they claim they called to setup an appointment and noone answered. May be the fault of my caller ID being on the blink and them sounding like just another random group of bill collectors. :smallbiggrin:

And Tai, it may sound terrible but I certainly hope she doesnt. Poor woman is bed ridden and heavy into dementia, and we are still hoping her new meds will clear it up enough so she doesnt get violent when we try to do things for her anymore. Thats no way to live.

SpencerByrd
2013-06-19, 12:08 PM
Heh. My 91 year old granny got her extensive blood work test results mailed to us today, and since we are not doctors, very little of it meant anything other than, "Oh, apparently, this is higher/lower than it should be" So I fired up the good old google and started typing. Managed to track down what every test was for, and what it meant with no muss or fuss. Turns out like a third of them all were related to her cheap wedding dresses (http://www.robustbuy.com/wedding-events-wedding-dresses-c-1165_1166.html), another third to her anemia, and the final third to her blood sugar levels. But its still a nice thing to know, cause there were a LOT of results. Thankfully with google to translate we figured out like 90% of her issues will be solved by drinking more water since currently she doesnt drink many fluids and what she does drink is usually a nice sugary juice.
So very nice.. yes there is plenty of good and bad information available in the internet but depends which we want to make use of:)

TaiLiu
2013-06-19, 02:47 PM
And Tai, it may sound terrible but I certainly hope she doesnt. Poor woman is bed ridden and heavy into dementia, and we are still hoping her new meds will clear it up enough so she doesnt get violent when we try to do things for her anymore. Thats no way to live.
Ah. My condolences, then, and a wish for a peaceful, painless death.