PDA

View Full Version : Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Daughter

Cheiromancer
2013-06-19, 07:24 AM
Bard 2, Wiz/Sor 2, conjuration (summoning), the effect is to summon a fiendish ape (as SM III, although not dismissible). The fiendish ape summoned by the spell is not under the caster's control; she attacks whatever target is nearest. The ape is wearing a party dress and has a bow in her hair.

I figure that the lack of flexibility and control warrants a drop in level for what is basically a refluffed summon monster III.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter is actually a great spell to refluff. I have read of versions where it causes painful spasms instead of laughter (same mechanical effect). I suppose that one could cause waves of pleasure, too. (BoEF, anyone?)

What spells are refluffed in your campaign? Do you use misspellings as inspiration for new spells?

OzymandiasX
2013-06-19, 10:15 AM
I lol'd at the spell name! The party dress is a nice touch

themourningstar
2013-06-19, 10:31 AM
Well, while the ape thing missed me, the idea of a THL that causes pleasure is kind of interesting. So.. What, they'd uncontrollably moan or something??? I saw a post where someone said they had a PC cast THL on a foe that had went underwater. :l Pretty powerful spell.

drew2u
2013-06-19, 10:39 AM
I've been playing around with the idea of a "Tiny Hut" spell that's a gingerbread house. The walls can be eaten but after so many HP damage to the hut, the spell disappears.

That and a "rope trick" spell that elongates one's hair and can be used the same way - climb the hair to enter a pocket dimension. In this manner, the person whose hair grows is either the last person up or the first person to descend.

inuyasha
2013-06-19, 11:44 AM
this is awesome, why dont we just make this thread into a place to post humorous spells :O

Just to Browse
2013-06-19, 05:26 PM
At level 3, you're summoning a CR 3 creature for 3 rounds... It definitely feels strong, but this would be something you're using instead of haste or fly so I guess the balance is fine.

The "attack closest foe" is kind of moot, since the range is close so you've got the range to place it wherever necessary. The real reason this is balanced is because every summon spell is terrible. It would probably be OK to drop every summon spell down a level (with some exceptions on the low and high end), but that's neither here nor there.

I commend your imagination, sir.

Debihuman
2013-06-20, 07:07 AM
This thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113213

Cause Beer
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature with 5 or fewer HD
Duration: Until beer is washed off
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

The affected creature is splashed with a full tankard of beer that appears in thin air and winks out of existence once it is emptied. If the subject fails on a Will save, it is shaken for 1 round. Creatures with 6 or more Hit Dice are immune to this effect.

Cause beer has been known to start bar fights.

Debby

Cheiromancer
2013-06-20, 07:47 AM
Lots of inspiration on this page (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Misspell_%283.5e_Spell%29) too. Or here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207387).

The latter thread links to spells not worth memorizing (http://www.hahnlibrary.net/rpgs/101spells.html). There are some goodies there. I like "Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Flatulence". A renamed stinking cloud perhaps?

Debihuman
2013-06-20, 08:13 AM
Hideous Daughter
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One female creature; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell afflicts the subject with disfiguring acne. It collapses into wails of despair, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while sobbing but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.
A creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower is not affected. A creature whose type is different from the caster’s receives a +4 bonus on its saving throw, because teenage angst doesn’t “translate” well.

Material Component
Tiny chocolate bars that are thrown at the target and a washcloth that is waved in the air.

Zelkon
2013-06-20, 08:31 AM
Cause Salivation
Enchantment (compulsion) [mind affecting]
Level: Bard 0, Sor/Wis 0, Druid 0
Components: V
Casting time: one swift action
Range: close
Target: one nonhungry creature
Duration: Instantanious, See Text
Saving Throw: Fort negates
SR: Yes
The creature becomes moderately hungry and begins to salivate. If the creature does not eat within 1 minute, it begins to drool the saliva that has built up in his mouth. This lasts until the creature eats any sort of food.

OzymandiasX
2013-06-20, 02:00 PM
The real reason this is balanced is because every summon spell is terrible.They're only terrible if you're expecting them to be damage spells. They can be amazing if you're using them strategically to occupy multiple squares (prevent from being flanked, prevent opponent escape, etc), to give your rogue flanking when nobody else is near, etc.

Anyways, I do agree that the Hideous Daughter spell isn't too powerful. I think it is awesome all around!

Just to Browse
2013-06-20, 09:51 PM
They're only terrible if you're expecting them to be damage spells. They can be amazing if you're using them strategically to occupy multiple squares (prevent from being flanked, prevent opponent escape, etc), to give your rogue flanking when nobody else is near, etc.Tactical considerations on such a small scale (e.g. one square or fewer) are only important at very low levels, which is when summoning spells last 1-3 rounds. Taking an entire turn and telegraphing your summon to bring in a 5hp speed bump is absolutely not worth it.

OzymandiasX
2013-06-21, 10:24 AM
Tactical considerations on such a small scale (e.g. one square or fewer) are only important at very low levels, which is when summoning spells last 1-3 rounds. Taking an entire turn and telegraphing your summon to bring in a 5hp speed bump is absolutely not worth it.
Your mileage may vary. I used then to to great effect in the low-mid level range with my last caster I played.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-07, 08:44 AM
Another fun line of spells would be to refluff the anibuff spells to provide debuffs instead. For example, bull's grace reduces dexterity (especially in china shops!), while cat's strength does the same for strength (maybe it's a renamed ray of enfeeblement?). I'm not sure what the other debuffs would be called. Lemming's wisdom? Vulture's splendor? Goldfish's cunning? ... hmmm. Still need something for lowered Constitution...

TuggyNE
2013-07-07, 05:19 PM
Another fun line of spells would be to refluff the anibuff spells to provide debuffs instead. For example, bull's grace reduces dexterity (especially in china shops!), while cat's strength does the same for strength (maybe it's a renamed ray of enfeeblement?). I'm not sure what the other debuffs would be called. Lemming's wisdom? Vulture's splendor? Goldfish's cunning? ... hmmm. Still need something for lowered Constitution...

Actually, I'd go with cat's endurance, and shove the Str booster over to eagles or owls. Bear's splendor, maybe?