PDA

View Full Version : D&D Nextwave/My Fantasy Heartbreaker

neonchameleon
2013-06-19, 08:37 AM
So. From what I can tell from the most recent readthrough, D&D Next appears to be, to put it bluntly, a mess, especially round fighters and rogues. So I thought I'd pitch in with my own suggestions (which are open to all takers of course - if anyone publishes based on them I'd like credit but no more).

Take 15. When someone with advantage could normally Take 10 they can instead take 15.

Fighters and rogues each come with descriptive words. When rolling a skill, or when a fighter rolls an attack roll and either uses or implies their descriptive word they act at advantage unless it is obvious they are taking the piss. (So when a brutal fighter brutally attacks someone they act with advantage - for a fighter to brutally hide in shadows would be taking the piss). Yes, this means that the fighter is intended to strike with advantage most of the time. They are, after all, fighters. They are also intended to make most of their saving throws with advantage, as is the rogue. The rogue instead gets an in combat trick and an out of combat trick per advantage.

Fighter Descriptors: (At first level a fighter chooses two, and then gets bonus ones)

Powerful: When a powerful fighter attacks, instead of attacking at advantage they may choose to do double damage (including any bonus damage). Multiply damage done by a powerful fighter to inanimate objects by their level.

Brutal: When a brutal fighter attacks, instead of attacking at advantage they may choose to knock the enemy prone. A brutal fighter never suffers penalties to making intimidate checks when smaller or outnumbered.

Ambidextrous: When an ambidextrous fighter attacks, instead of attacking at advantage they may make one attack with each weapon. An ambidextrous fighter can use either hand without penalty or even claim "I am not left handed" for any task.

Watchful: When a watchful fighter attacks someone, instead of acting at advantage they may focus on their target. If that target takes their eye off the fighter to either move or attack someone other than the fighter until after the fighter's next attack, the fighter can make a free attack on them as an immediate action. A watchful fighter adds +5 to their passive notice score.

Fast: Instead of getting advantage on a single attack the fighter may make two attacks against different targets. (Note that this may be used with e.g. greatswords, unlike ambidextrous). A fast fighter moves 5' faster per level than most people (including jumps, climbs, and swims).

Guarded: Instead of gaining advantage on an attack, the guarded fighter can inflict disadvantage against any attack made against them until the start of their next turn. A guarded fighter suffers no penalty from being surprised or flanked.

Rogue attributes: (Rogues start with three)

Sneaky: A sneaky rogue can hide with no cover unless personally being watched. The smallest distraction (including other party members) is enough.

Slippery: A slippery rogue ignores opposing opportunity attacks. They can also blend in to a crowd effortlessly, and move through one or over any sort of terrain without slowing. (Note: In combat this means flanking for advantage)

Deceitful: A deceitful rogue may as a free action make a bluff check against their opponent 1/round. If they succeed they gain Advantage on attack rolls against that target - if they fail their opponent does. (Note: expectation is the rogue will normally succeed). Further, if a deceitful rogue convinces someone of something and they are later corrected, the rogue will not be considered an obvious suspect.

Athletic: An athletic rogue may climb or jump anything that can be climbed or jumped by a normal human at full speed, and may climb overhangs or sheer glass at DC 20. At sixth level they can balance on water or rice paper, at ninth they can tightrope walk on an ordinary thread, and at twelfth they can balance on air. An athletic rogue dropping from above gains advantage on the attack and if they land safely add half the falling damage they would take to the attack. (Note: The reason why this scales obviously that most of the other advantages do covertly as they are primarily social, but movement powers scale due to wizard powers).

Disguised: When a disguised rogue is wearing insignia from members of the other side, their first attack against each foe grants them advantage. Further 1/session they may declare themselves to have left the stage - and later on in the session they may reveal themselves as a nameless NPC the PCs are otherwise interacting with (including the Lich's Elite Bodyguard but not the lich itself).

Deft: Using thievery for a deft rogue is a swift action 1/round. In combat they can make a thievery check to distract the enemy - if they succed they have advantage on their next attack, if they fail they provoke an opportunity attack.

How is this looking?

Scow2
2013-06-19, 02:09 PM
Giving fighters Advantage on every attack really treads on the Barbarian's "Reckless Attack" and rage abilities. Giving that at no cost to fighters is... no. And, that "Powerful" ability has obscene scaling issues.

I've found 5e's current rogue and fighter to work very well, not as "A mess"

SiuiS
2013-06-19, 02:34 PM
Giving fighters Advantage on every attack really treads on the Barbarian's "Reckless Attack" and rage abilities. Giving that at no cost to fighters is... no. And, that "Powerful" ability has obscene scaling issues.

I've found 5e's current rogue and fighter to work very well, not as "A mess"

Barbarians get damage and resistance, really. Plus this way Barbarian can be a fighter subclass, which makes a lot more sense. Plus advantage is only useful against enemies you'd hit anyway; te bonus comes out to be much smaller at the top end; it's what, 2.5% more likely to hit a 20 only target?

The current rogue does work well though. Fighter I am not sure on yet.

Man on Fire
2013-06-20, 04:25 AM
I come to this thread thinking somebody wants to play a Nextwave game.
What a bummer :smallfrown:

neonchameleon
2013-06-20, 05:46 AM
I come to this thread thinking somebody wants to play a Nextwave game.
What a bummer :smallfrown:

Actually ran one as a one-shot a month and a half ago :) You realise that the entire team was officially statted up for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying?

I'm a couple of packets behind in what I've actually played - but as things stand, no rogue should ever try to walk a tightrope (DC 25). This was part of the point behind showering advantage over the rogue and fighter skills and putting the Take 15 rule in there. Mundane tasks are much too hard in D&D Next as it stands.