PDA

View Full Version : Quintessence lined Vault?

unseenmage
2013-06-19, 09:55 AM
Quintessence lined walls like lead lined walls.
Useful or no?
How much would/should they cost as compared to the SBG pg38, Table 2–7: Wall Augmentations chart?

I'm looking to protect one Stronghold Space, a 20x20x10 room.

Possible there could be 2 versions? One for freestanding walls lightly lined with Quintessence just to mess up Manifesters and another version for internal walls where the Quintessence actually seals the room creating a timelocked vault or prison cell?

Thanks regardless Playground.

Vedhin
2013-06-19, 10:09 AM
I don't have the SBG, but I did some calculations on price. Assuming that you have to pay for each manifestation of the Quintessence power, and that power manifesting is priced like spell casting, the answer is: however much it costs to pay someone to Mindrape a Shaper Psion into serving you. That or 280gp per ounce of Quintessence. Another option is seeing if you can use the custom magic item rules for psionics. An at will item of Quintessence would be 100,800gp if it was slotless, or 50,400 if it occupied a body slot. The best is simply Diplomancing a Shaper Psion into being your buddy though.

You definitely want to avoid paying per ounce though, as the power is vague on how much exactly an ounce can cover. I'd go with the item, as it can be used at other times too.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-19, 10:12 AM
The time locked vault would be an interesting idea. Use lead covered in Quintessence and you block most divination and any attempt from the prisoner to escape. You wouldn't need more than a coffin sized box, as the prisoner wouldn't need to breathe or even move.

Flickerdart
2013-06-19, 10:13 AM
You only need a 1lb blob to interfere with manifesting. That's just 16 manifestations. Spread it under the floor as thin as you need to cover the whole room, and RAW the effect will extend to the whole thing.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-19, 10:18 AM
It looks like it costs nothing to just manifest the power over and over. There is no listed cost to the power, and the duration is Instantaneous.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm

Another cool idea is a quintessence trap. Lure some adventurers into a room covered in quintessence, then close the door.

Or cover a chest in quintessence and have 100 delayed blast fireballs stuffed inside.

I think the best bet is a tank of the stuff, and use a baleful transportation effect of some kind to simply submerge the target.

I could see an evil shaper who was dedicated to creating a library of every living thing. He fills tanks with quintesence and then bends reality to pull a sample from somewhere in the cosmos into the tank for study.

unseenmage
2013-06-19, 10:26 AM
Assuming that you have to pay for each manifestation of the Quintessence power, and that power manifesting is priced like spell casting, the answer is: however much it costs to pay someone to Mindrape a Shaper Psion into serving you. That or 280gp per ounce of Quintessence. Another option is seeing if you can use the custom magic item rules for psionics. An at will item of Quintessence would be 100,800gp if it was slotless, or 50,400 if it occupied a body slot. The best is simply Diplomancing a Shaper Psion into being your buddy though.

I was fiddling with custom Wall Augmentations pricing in the wee hours last night and discovered that that is basically the case with every spell they let you apply. You'd need to infini-cast any of them to do the job afford-ably.

Even the Augment Objects one that has a field of effect written for Strongholds is way more expensive than they list it.

Using Augment Objects affect on Obdurium, for Hardness improving effects I worked out that for each +3 Hardness your Wall Augmentation grants it costs you 4,000gp per stronghold space. I just didn't have an analogue for Quintessence though.

I don't have the SBG, but I did some calculations on price.

Also, this might help, not sure if it's all there or just excerpts: http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/building-a-stronghold