PDA

View Full Version : CR Aura(E6)

Tvtyrant
2013-06-19, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking of implementing a visible aura around individuals that informs the viewer of the general CR of a certain creature/individual. Basically because I like world building and I hate the gradually escalating CR issue.

I was thinking it would work like:
White Aura: CR less than 1
Blue Aura: CR 1-2
Green Aura: CR 3-4
Yellow Aura: CR 5-6
Orange Aura: CR 7-8
Red Aura: CR 9-10
Black Aura: CR greater than 10 ie Godlike

I am not sure whether to implement this as a skill check or just have every organism have an apparent danger aura that other creatures can see.

Xefas
2013-06-19, 01:58 PM
Does a character's aura blow their hair dramatically? I feel like it should.

So, would this be used in addition to the canon function of Sense Motive to detect a creature's relative level/hit dice (Complete Adventurer)? So you could figure out their CR and HD separately? Or is it meant as a replacement?

Tvtyrant
2013-06-19, 02:29 PM
Does a character's aura blow their hair dramatically? I feel like it should.

So, would this be used in addition to the canon function of Sense Motive to detect a creature's relative level/hit dice (Complete Adventurer)? So you could figure out their CR and HD separately? Or is it meant as a replacement?
The stronger they are, the wavier their hair :P

It would be an addition. Lots of critters have bloated or desiccated HD compared to their CR, so this would grant the party greater understanding of how threatening something is.

Eurus
2013-06-19, 03:28 PM
Hmm. It'd be a little odd if every creature had a visible aura constantly. It should probably either flare up only when threatened or entering combat, or require some kind of check (or spell, or skill, or whatever) to analyze.

Blueiji
2013-06-19, 06:56 PM
Perhaps the players could slowly gain auras of their own?

I know my players would love watching as their auras grew in power, would make them feel very cool.

Tvtyrant
2013-06-19, 07:38 PM
Perhaps the players could slowly gain auras of their own?

I know my players would love watching as their auras grew in power, would make them feel very cool.

People would respond to them instinctively, shying back and bowing as the epic level heroes walk through their town.

I like the idea of it as an instinctive response to the creature.