PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Aroma of Curdled Death

Rustybarnacle
2013-06-19, 02:47 PM
So, last night my level 6 wizard finds a fancy bottle of liquid, in a cleric's apartment. Without identify or anything else that would have been somewhat intelligent, he drinks it.

It turns out, it was a bottle of Aroma of Curdled Death. No where does it say what a moron who drinks it will have happen to him, probly because how many would do such a thing, so I'm trying to decide what to do to him. Sure, death is easy since, it's in the name, but I'm thinking something a little more entertaining. Unfortunately I got nothing, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that after killing a level 10 cleric, he walks over to her table, picks up a bottle that looks shiny and just drinks it.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-19, 03:01 PM
Make him become a Necropolitian.

Der_DWSage
2013-06-19, 03:09 PM
Forcing a DC 17 Fortitude save vs. death every round for 1 minute, with 1d4 con damage every round he fails, seems appropriate. Give him a chance to dispel magic if he makes the first save, but otherwise? Frankly, he made a stupid decision. Stupid decisions sometimes have consequences.

Alternatively, if you want to make it interesting...have him be a walking Aroma of Curdled Death. Sure, people can't get close without forcing a fortitude save...but at the same time he now has a particularly bad stigma, and will be forever banned from entering any sort of civilized area for fear he'll accidentally kill folks.

Spuddles
2013-06-19, 03:16 PM
I think, by RAW, nothing would happen except maybe he could belch little clouds of cloudkill.

But if you want to punish him, treat it as a cloudkill he can't get out of.

Xervous
2013-06-19, 04:22 PM
3d4 hours later and henceforth, all flatulence is now decidedly deadly.

Silence is optional.

RFLS
2013-06-19, 04:28 PM
Make him become a Necropolitian.

Nice. I might even have to say that Tippy equals...something. I forget what Tippy equals. Darn shame. =P

Nettlekid
2013-06-19, 04:34 PM
Hmm...Since it doesn't harm the wearer, the person who it is touching, then really...it shouldn't hurt him. That is a weird situation to be in. I kind of like the Necropolitan suggestion. Maybe grant him poison immunity as a result, if full-blown Necropolitan is too much. Maybe a mini-Cloudkill breath weapon, like being able to burp 5 ft cubes of Cloudkill which float away from him every 1d4 rounds. I think he should be rewarded, not punished, as one of those "You were a total idiot but somehow you lucked out" moments. If it happens again, have it really bite him in the butt. (That black bowling ball was a Sphere of Annihilation! Who knew?)

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-19, 04:37 PM
Full blow necro costs him a level (which is a fairly big punishment) and removes his con score but it also doesn't make him so weak that he can't contribute to the party and makes a decentish reward for finishing the quest. It also opens up tons of RP possibilities.

Rustybarnacle
2013-06-19, 05:04 PM
Love all the ideas guys. Thanks!

limejuicepowder
2013-06-19, 05:36 PM
I think you should add some suspense and chance to the situation. Make a list of various consequences, ranging from positive to negative. Have him roll a percentile die to determine what happens. Don't reveal the list, of course. It would be entirely meta, but it might also be fun to allow him possible rerolls with a fortitude save - tell him what the current ailment will be, but not what other possibilities there are.

I've always liked the "brought something back from the other side" notion. Minor (or major) SLA's that revolve around death, supernatural senses, things like that. I'd couple any ability with a drawback though, since I wouldn't want to outright reward the player for foolishness.

I'd also mix in some more roleplaying oriented results, like awareness of spirits that follow/bother/torment him. This would not only be a great roleplay opportunity, but could be used for plot hooks.

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-19, 06:05 PM
Send him to hell and make his party go after and save him. Equivalent of a filler in an anime, haha.

Sith_Happens
2013-06-19, 06:08 PM
"Affected himself by the item" makes the most sense to me, personally.

Averis Vol
2013-06-19, 06:57 PM
induce vomiting for 1d4 hours and treat him with the sickened condition. This sounds about correct with anything that has "curdled" in the name.

TuggyNE
2013-06-19, 09:43 PM
induce vomiting for 1d4 hours and treat him with the sickened condition. This sounds about correct with anything that has "curdled" in the name.

Actually, given that food poisoning can actually kill you, and this has "death" in the name, I'd say a painful death over 12 hours or so might be entirely plausible.

Kind of mean though.

Alternatively, just have a powerful and persistent illusion of death; he believes himself to be dead, and attempts to convince him otherwise generally fail. Probably have it last a day or so.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-20, 07:13 AM
Fortitude save every hour or be sickened for that hour. DC appropriate to his level.

Once per hour he can make a 15ft cone of cloud kill (same DC) as a standard action.

Both effects disappear after 1 week.