PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Eldritch Disciple - Help out a noob? :)

XnOs
2013-06-19, 03:08 PM
Hey Guys!

I have often been impressed by the efficiency and kindness by the members of this forum. And i am as always, very great full for all the help I've gotten and all the help i get.

Enough flattery! - Let's do this. :)

Campaign: I don't recall the name tbh, but i guess it matters very little.
We've had one play session, and we fought a 3 armed giant that tossed pigs at us. He was trashing though the barn of a farmer called Barnaby. We saved both him and his family by killing the giant, we barely made it out alive. Other than that, have only had one random encounter, which practically contained 6 x one-shot monsters. :)

Current level: 5. Cleric (4) and Warlock (1)
- I've chosen the Cloistered Cleric option.

Feats:

Divine Metamagic: Quicken. (as i understand, i can use 4 turn attempts to make any spell quicken?)

Divine Dispell: Warlocks gets a kind of dispell, right? So i am having second thoughts about this.

My main goal is to be a Heal-bot, But i also wanted utility and damage potential. I have dumped Str. so i will not be going melee.

Next level I'll be advancing into Eldritch Disciple.

My main Question is: When taking a level into Eldritch Disciple, will i only gain the Invocation benefits, or will i also gain the At-will abilities?

I find it hard to believe that i will gain both spells, invocations AND all the other class specific perks. :)

Secondary Question: Do you guys have any tricks of the trade i should know of? :)

Thank you all in advance! I will be present in this thread the next few hours +.

Diarmuid
2013-06-19, 03:26 PM
When advancing your next level as Eldritch Disciple you gain the following:

1) BAB, Saves, HP, Skill Points, and Class abilities listed in the Eldritch Disicple table.

2) You will cast Clerical spells as a Cleric of 4th level (4 cleric levels, no advancement for Cleric casting at 1st level ED)

3) You will gain new Invocations and advance your caster level for using Invocations (including Eldritch Blast) as if you had gained a level of Warlock.
3a) Effectively you will gain 1 new least invocation

At 2nd level Eldritch Disciple you will gain:

1) BAB, Saves, HP, Skill Points, and Class abilities listed in the Eldritch Disicple table.

2) You will cast Clerical spells as a Cleric of 5th level (4 cleric levels, +1 advancement for Cleric casting at 2nd level ED)
2a) You will go from Cleric Spells per day of 5/3+1/2+1 to 5/3+1/2+1/1+1 and your caster level will be 5 for cleric spells

3) You will gain new Invocations and advance your caster level for using Invocations (including Eldritch Blast) as if you had gained a level of Warlock.
3a) Effectively you will not gain any new invocations, but your Eldritch Blast will advance to 2d6

Edit - With regard to your feats, I dont know if you just didnt bother listing them, but you would need to also have Extend Spell and Persist Spell as Metamagic feats before you could take DMM: Persist Spell. The errata clarified that you can only take DMM for a metamagic feat that you already have.

XnOs
2013-06-19, 03:30 PM
That message pretty much answered all my questions Diarmuid! :)

Thank you very much.

I am still looking for tricks of the trade, so those are still welcome! ^.^

eggynack
2013-06-19, 03:32 PM
Divine metamagic (quicken) is going to cost you five turn undead uses. You lose one in addition to the cost of the metamagic.

XnOs
2013-06-19, 03:45 PM
Okay, I see. :) Still well worth it I'd say?

Am i understanding it correct, that my turn attempts as a cleric, is based on my Charisma modifier + 3?

And i will not, without gaining more charisma, gain additional attempts?
(Without the feat that grants additional turn attempts. Extra Turning, I believe it is called.)

nedz
2013-06-19, 05:46 PM
Okay, I see. :) Still well worth it I'd say?

Am i understanding it correct, that my turn attempts as a cleric, is based on my Charisma modifier + 3?

And i will not, without gaining more charisma, gain additional attempts?
(Without the feat that grants additional turn attempts. Extra Turning, I believe it is called.)

There are a number of other ways to increase your Turn Attempts. Most of them feature using Domains/Feats to get more pools of TU. E.g. Air domain.

Also you need to spend two feats: Quicken + Divine Metamagic: Quicken

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-19, 08:31 PM
Items:
Nightstick, Libris Mortis (+4)
Reliquary Holy Symbol, Magic Item Compendium (+1 if you have 5 ranks in Knowledge (religion), +1 if you have Improved Turning, +1 if you have a Divine Feat)
Cloak of Charisma, Dungeon Master's Guide (+1 per 2 point of increased CHA)

Snowbluff
2013-06-19, 09:20 PM
Getting Eldritch Glaive while building up to the Divine Power Spell is a good idea. Healing (a Disciple power) Glaive with Power Attack can heal a pretty good chunk of damage, or you can use a Vitriolic Eldritch Glaive to mess up an enemy.

Have an handbook.
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265455) If you post a question or concern there, I'll make sure to go over it in the next edit. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2013-06-19, 09:21 PM
Are you sure (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871786/A_Players_Guide_to_Healing_%28And,_why_you_will_be _Just_Fine_without_a_Cleric_to_heal%29)you want to be a "healbot?"

Snowbluff
2013-06-19, 09:56 PM
Get Quickem SLA: Eldritch Blast.

Are you sure (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871786/A_Players_Guide_to_Healing_%28And,_why_you_will_be _Just_Fine_without_a_Cleric_to_heal%29)you want to be a "healbot?"

Considering the ability to shorten action costs easily and being able to do it at a range, the Disciple isn't such a bad choice for healing (Like the Crusader). That being said, never prepare a healing spell, just spontaneously cast the spells or healing blast if you are in an emergency.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-19, 10:53 PM
I played an Eldritch Disciple a while back and spent most of my time flying above the battlefield sniping with Eldritch Spear. I had about 9 turn attempts total and could drop a healing blast on any ally within 250 ft as needed, or if no one was hurt just hang back and snipe the enemy. Between items like a Greater Chasuble of Fell Power and feats like Knowledge Devotion, I did both decent damage and respectable healing with my blasts.