PDA

View Full Version : Free Points of AC

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:09 PM
Anyone know of cheap options for a +1 or +2 that stacks with armor, shield, mage armor, other shield (the magic one), and natural armor? The only one I can think of is the dastana. My dwarf only has an ac of about 55 or so, which most things can still hit at level 13.

Thanks.

Tar Palantir
2013-06-19, 03:16 PM
Ring of protection? I assume you have that already but if not, grab one. One of the ioun stones gives a +1 insight bonus to ac as well, and I think the lucky property from MIC gives +1 luck to AC and saves, but it might just be saves. If not, a luckblade with 0 wishes might be worth it if you aren't committed to a mainhand weapon.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:17 PM
Thanks! I don't have the ion stone yet, so I'll have to stick that on.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-19, 03:21 PM
Mage armor grants an armor bonus, and shield grants a shield bonus. They don't stack with armor and shields, which give those same bonuses.

Edit: if you want a better luck bonus, Recitation gives +2 or +3. Algid Enhancement gives a +6 deflection.

MilesTiden
2013-06-19, 03:22 PM
... What the hells kind of creatures are you running into? :smalleek: With that sort of AC, you aren't getting hit by anything short of a high leveled dragon. Discounting them, the only thing in the Monster Manual that can hit you except on a natural 20 is the Tarrasque. I mean, there are probably monsters in other sourcebooks that can hit that, but I don't imagine you'd be running into to many of them. :smallconfused:

Also, the Shield and Mage Armor spells do not stack with regular armor or shields, which is probably part of why that number is a bit off.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:23 PM
Aww.... I distinctly remember someone telling me they did. I guess I was wrong :smallannoyed:. Well, thanks for the heads up.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-19, 03:29 PM
Dodge bonuses stack. (Circumstance do to, but you don't usually get AC from those). However, dodge bonuses are generally against a single target.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:31 PM
Yeah... With the 5 levels of Abjurant Chapion, mage armor and shield stack to +18. With mechanus gear and a dastana, as well as an extreme shield, the armor bonus is only +16. I'm not quite sure what to do here.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-19, 03:34 PM
Maxing AC is suboptimal. You're better off getting miss chance, or else killing the opponent first. As a PC, you'll fight many monsters, which will eventually get 20s, or hit touch or FF. You're safer when they're dead faster.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:35 PM
I am perfectly aware of the fact that AC is suboptimal. My goal is not to be the most optimized. I am trying to fit with the "high AC dwarf" flavor. This was more of a fun exercise for me.

Khedrac
2013-06-19, 03:36 PM
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone - 5000gp for a +1 insight bonus to AC.

Yes optimizing AC is sub-optimal, but it can still work very well.

Rhatahema
2013-06-19, 03:37 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864038/How_to_shove_it_to_beatsticks_-_A_caster_resource_for_not_getting_hit

That's a pretty comprehensive guide to AC on the caster side of things. Untyped and dodge bonuses stack, others don't. So, for typed bonuses you'll want to look for: Armor, Shield, Natural Armor (each of which can be improved with enhancement bonuses, typically), Sacred/Profane, Luck, and Deflection.

Abjurant Champion doesn't improve mage armor, as that's conjuration rather than abjuration (the statement to the contrary in CM has been removed by errata). Luminous Armor (and the Greater Version) from BoED provides an Armor bonus and is abjuration, but it can only be cast on a good creature, and has some other strings attached. Dastanas cannot be worn with Mechanis Gear; there's a specific list of armor types it can be combined with (padded, leather, or chain shirt). Same with Chahar-aina from Oriental Adventures.

Eldariel
2013-06-19, 03:38 PM
Yeah... With the 5 levels of Abjurant Chapion, mage armor and shield stack to +18. With mechanus gear and a dastana, as well as an extreme shield, the armor bonus is only +16. I'm not quite sure what to do here.

Just ignore physical armor if you use magical armor... Mechanus Gear doesn't stack with Mage Armor (which doesn't work with Abjurant Champion by RAW; yeah, it's stupid, but Mage Armor is strictly a Conjuration though Luminous Armor [Book of Exalted Deeds] does work), as they both grant Armor-bonus.

The normal sources of AC are:
Dexterity-bonus
Armor-bonus
Shield-bonus
Natural Armor (can be acquired for normal characters through e.g. Polymorph-line of spells)
Natural Armor-bonus (stacks with Natural Armor, e.g. from Amulet of Natural Armor)
Deflection-bonus

Then you get Luck, Sacred/Profane, Morale, Insight, etc. from spells sometimes. Then unnamed bonuses, Dodge-bonuses, and such. As an Abjurant Champion, ramping your AC with spells is quite easy. Indeed, you don't really need items for it all that much, nor do they really help if you're stacked out on magical protections.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:38 PM
I mean, if everything only hits me on a 20, it still works pretty well... I wan't to do this while still wearing mechanus gear, if possible. What spells stack with that?

Edit: Ah. Thanks. Didn't see your post. I got mage armor as abjuration OKed with the DM.

MilesTiden
2013-06-19, 03:39 PM
Grab Greater Mage Armor for a total of +20 AC with Abjurant Champion, which is more cost effective and better than the mundane armor option. However, you can enchant the mundane armor, so it's up to you. Honestly, with those two spells and like, a ring of protection and/or ioun stone, your AC should be good enough to focus on other things. If you're going with mundane armor, then there are some feats in Races of Stone to help a bit.

GreenETC
2013-06-19, 03:40 PM
Greater Luminous Armor and Shield from Abjurant Champion will give you a total of +22, leaving 32 before Dex, with a -4 penalty to melee attacks against you. Slap some natural armor or dodge bonuses on there, and if possible, go out and get the Black Pearl of Doubt stance from ToB with a feat or some level in Warblade/Swordsage. You can also go Deepwarden as a Dwarf to get Con to AC instead of Dex, if yours sucks.

Even with Mage Armor okay'd, Luminous Armor is better in every way, if possible. You can mitigate the Str damage with a Rod of Bodily Restoration from the MIC for 3100gp.

Hamste
2013-06-19, 03:42 PM
If you have a single point of natural armor or more you can take improved natural armor as a feat multiple times to raise your ac.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-19, 03:44 PM
If you're not worried about attacking things, you can also use total defense. There's a few things in splats that enhance it, although the only one I can remember is dwarven defender.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 03:54 PM
Hmmm... At level 11, how many things would be able to hit a 39 reliably?

Big Fau
2013-06-19, 03:57 PM
Hmmm... At level 11, how many things would be able to hit a 39 reliably?

A couple of things like the Gargantuan Monstrous Scorpion. Not very much though.

SowZ
2013-06-19, 04:00 PM
Parrying gives a +1 luck bonus to AC and all saves and has a flat cost on weapons. Flat cost weapon enhancements=yummy.

koboldish
2013-06-19, 04:00 PM
Alright... It could get a little higher if I used luminous armor if I used that instead of mechanus gear... Are there any soulmelds that increase natural armor or deflection?

Bakkan
2013-06-19, 05:00 PM
The Wormtail Belt soulmeld gives some Natural Armor and is actually decent even without essentia to invest.

Defending weapons are a little expensive but if you've already gotten everything else they're an option. Defending is a +2 equivalent ability, so +1 Defending Armor Spikes cost 18350 gp for +1 AC, +2 Defending Armor spikes cost 32350 gp for +2 AC, and so forth.

Shining Wrath
2013-06-19, 05:07 PM
The Dodge feat.
Much better are items that grant displacement / blur.
The "Defender" weapon enhancement lets you shift pluses from to-hit to AC.

Wings of Peace
2013-06-19, 05:29 PM
If you've got Use Psionic Device as a skill or just plan meet the requirements then Ectoplasmic Armor Quori Shard can net you a +10 armor bonus to ac for around 40,000 gold (I'm sure that number is wrong I just remember it was somewhere in the 40k zone) and doesn't use a body slot.

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-19, 06:07 PM
Dwarven forged gives +2 ac on armor and reinforced from a dragon mag gives +1 to ac on armor.

Vaz
2013-06-19, 06:15 PM
5 ranks in tumble give you +6 (instead of +4) when taking total defensive actions.

Devronq
2013-06-19, 06:25 PM
If possible can you just post your build and we can see what else you can add from there?

Telonius
2013-06-19, 06:30 PM
Soft Cover? A mount plus a ride check of 15 gets you an untyped +2.

Platinum Piece
2013-06-19, 07:25 PM
Dastana give a +1 shield bonus to AC that stacks with an existing shield. And a Ward Cestus gives a +1 AC when using total defense. Both are found in the AEG.

mregecko
2013-06-19, 07:31 PM
+1 Defending spiked gauntlet

Can be worn with any armor, also counted as wielding it, and as a free action you can turn its enhancement bonus into an untyped bonus that explicitly stacks with all others.

Get the party mage to cast Greater Magic Weapon on it to get > +1, or you can pay for the +5 on it yourself (I wouldn't recommend it).

Spuddles
2013-06-19, 07:38 PM
Defending armor spike, defending shield spike, defending weapon with chain GMW gives you 3x your GMW bonus to AC, stacks with everything.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-19, 08:19 PM
+1 Defending spiked gauntlet

Can be worn with any armor, also counted as wielding it, and as a free action you can turn its enhancement bonus into an untyped bonus that explicitly stacks with all others.

Get the party mage to cast Greater Magic Weapon on it to get > +1, or you can pay for the +5 on it yourself (I wouldn't recommend it).

Hells, don't bother with that - pick up a tooth of Leraje (ToM) for a 1/day GMW at CL 20.

Eldariel
2013-06-19, 08:37 PM
[/B]

Hells, don't bother with that - pick up a tooth of Leraje (ToM) for a 1/day GMW at CL 20.

We're talking about an Abjurant Champion. He should be more than capable of casting GMW himself.