PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Dictionary....Is there such a thing online?

Giegue
2013-06-19, 05:30 PM
As the title asks. I am brewing up a rather crazy build for an upcomming game IRL that uses the divine inspiration feat to go bard 1/cloistered cleric X and still get full bardic music progression. Instead of singing in combat(which I find lame fluff wise) I use preform(oratory) as my preform skill and fluff the bardsongs as prayers/chants rather then actual music. The thing is, I want the chants to be entirely in draconic, as all my characters magical abilites are tied to dragons and a powerful dragonic deity of sorts in fluff terms. While I don't usually do character voice overs(I can't voice over much beyond cliche' evil overlords...), I think it would be totally awesome to actually say the chants in draconic, rather then just saying 'my character chants in draconic..." Thus, I am turning to the playground. Does anybody know if there is a Draconic dictionary I can find that is good? If not, then is there at least an english to draconic translator kicking around on the net somewhere?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Tridax
2013-06-19, 05:38 PM
This may help.

http://elftown.com/_Draconic%20language%20and%20script

Giegue
2013-06-19, 05:52 PM
That is highly helpful. I thank you for the link.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-19, 06:07 PM
You could rip off Skyrim's dragon-tongue. Those words are pretty masculine-sounding. They've got a webpage with like a hundred words.

If your setting's dragons are supposed to be fancy-pants progenitors of civilized culture, I'd just take an online Latin translator and slam words together until I got something that sounded cool.

Zahhak
2013-06-19, 07:23 PM
You can find online dictionaries of just about any DnD language you can imagine, and probably many more for languages you can not think of.

Xuc Xac
2013-06-19, 09:49 PM
Bear in mind, however, that few of those languages are based on any real understanding of linguistics (or even a hobbyist layman's conlang knowledge). Far too many of them are based on things like "They probably use a lot of Qs and Zs because inhuman! And we haven't used an apostrophe in a while, so let's start doubling up on them."

Scots Dragon
2013-06-20, 05:53 AM
There's also this one;

http://draconic.twilightrealm.com/