PDA

View Full Version : Highest skill with 1 bab at first level?

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-19, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know what class gives 1 bab at first level and gives you the most amount of skill points? All replies thank you in advance :smallsmile:

Scow2
2013-06-19, 05:50 PM
I was thinking of all the 4+Int classes, then I remembered one of these guys: Ranger, at 6+INT.

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-19, 05:53 PM
I was thinking of all the 4+Int classes, then I remembered one of these guys: Ranger, at 6+INT.

Oh, i thought ranger gave 4+int, thats pretty sweet :smalltongue:

Hyena
2013-06-19, 06:04 PM
Crusader and warblade both get a lot of skillpoints, though you or your DM may be reculant to use it.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-19, 06:12 PM
elf ranger substitution levels grant 8+int and there is a substitution at lv 1.

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-19, 06:22 PM
elf ranger substitution levels grant 8+int and there is a substitution at lv 1.

Ah, but i'm not being an elf sadly

Akal Saris
2013-06-19, 07:11 PM
Oh, i thought ranger gave 4+int, thats pretty sweet :smalltongue:

It got bumped up from 3E to 3.5, I believe.

Elf ranger 1 is the highest combo that I'm aware of.

ArcturusV
2013-06-19, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I was thinking Swordsage myself, with it's 6+Int x6 at level 1. But it's not +1 BAB.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-19, 07:54 PM
The only other full BAB base class that gives 6 skill points/level is Mariner from the Age of Mortals sourcebook in Dragonlance.

Barbarian, Swashbuckler, Crusader, and Warblade all give 4 skill points/level with full BAB.

All other full BAB base classes of which I am aware only give 2 skill points/level.

HalfQuart
2013-06-19, 08:25 PM
Almost certainly not what you're looking for, but there are some monster savage progressions that get 8+Int skill points from Savage Species (3.0): generally speaking all Outsiders do...Azer, Mephits, Slaad, Triton, Half-Celestials, Half-Fiends, etc. The outsider type in 3.5 also gets full bab and 8+Int skill points, so you could find a low (not 1) HD/LA race.... Likewise Draegloth (I think also an Outsider) from Champions of Ruin gets full BAB and 8 skill points through a savage progression like in SS. Not too playable with 6HD +4LA, though.

Snowbluff
2013-06-19, 08:26 PM
It got bumped up from 3E to 3.5, I believe.

Elf ranger 1 is the highest combo that I'm aware of.

Did Belkar mention the skill points? :smallconfused:

Mountain
2013-06-19, 08:37 PM
Elf ranger 1 is definitely the highest base amount (only one class gets 10+int), but warblades and swashbucklers have better INT synergy with class abilities, so may end up with more skill points overall. Also, be a human, and if you can, take Nymph's Kiss (BoED) for a total of two more per level.

ArcturusV
2013-06-19, 08:42 PM
Except the way that Nymph's Kiss seems to be written, it wouldn't give you +4 at first level, it would only provide a +1 skill point even if you took it at level 1. I've read it backwards and forwards and it certainly seems that way. Note that every other source of bonus skill points per level does actually say "these are multiplied by 4 at level 1" expecting Nymph's Kiss.

At which point if you're looking for just level 1 skillness (One shot for example), you're better off getting Open Minded for a fixed 5.

Kornaki
2013-06-19, 08:53 PM

How do you think he could afford profession(chef)?

Mountain
2013-06-19, 08:54 PM
Except the way that Nymph's Kiss seems to be written, it wouldn't give you +4 at first level, it would only provide a +1 skill point even if you took it at level 1. I've read it backwards and forwards and it certainly seems that way. Note that every other source of bonus skill points per level does actually say "these are multiplied by 4 at level 1" expecting Nymph's Kiss.

At which point if you're looking for just level 1 skillness (One shot for example), you're better off getting Open Minded for a fixed 5.

I would caution against Open Minded, as the flat 5 points would not scale with level, whereas the +1 per level from Nymph's Kiss will have given you more than that by level 6. It does not appear to get the x4 at first level by RAW, but ask your DM.

ArcturusV
2013-06-19, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I only mentioned it for if you're going for a one shot where you're not really expecting to level up. Or if you do you might get up to level 3, at most.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-19, 09:48 PM

He mentions them right in OotS#1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html). When they are discussing the upgrade from 3.0 to 3.5 he says "C'mon, c'mon, Daddy needs some new skill points!"

nyjastul69
2013-06-20, 02:15 AM
I believe RAW states Nymph's Kiss can't have the 1st level x4 multiplier applied. Much like there is an order of operations for gaining levels, there is also an order of operations for character creation. Skills are are allocated before feats are chosen. My source is PH pg. 6.