PDA

View Full Version : PF-3.5 Skill Hybrid

Sylthia
2013-06-19, 06:27 PM
I liked the way Pathfinder consolidated skills and made it easier to cross-class skills, but in a way it almost made cross-classing skills too easy. I think it might be best to go for a mid-point between 3.5 and Pathfinder's systems. I like being able to put a few ranks in perception on all my characters, but it seems odd that the wizard can pick locks just as well as the rogue.

I'd keep the Pathfinder skill list (except Fly, I don't know why they added that.)

I'd leave the half-PC level limit on cross-class skills, so if the level 8 wizard wants to put ranks in Disable Device, he can only put up to 4 ranks in it. Put it still only costs one skill point, rather than two. Class skills can go up to full PC level and still get the +3 bonus.

What does everyone else think of 3.5 vs Pathfinder in regards to the skill system?

Oryan77
2013-06-19, 06:47 PM
I completely converted the Pathfinder core classes into 3.5 rules so I can use them in my 3.5 game.

I also am using the PF skill point method like you are doing, except I actually don't like my skill list to be consolidated. So I use the original 3.5 skill list.

I really like the idea of being rewarded for class skills rather than penalized for putting points in cross class skills. If a wizard wants to be good at picking locks, then I have no problem with him being as good at it as a rogue if he managed to get the skill as high as a rogues.

I like variety, which is why I prefer the 3.5 skill list. So this method allows for a decent lock picking wizard if that is the character concept someone wants to go with.

I really enjoyed playing my Stealthy Cleric in Pathfinder. I bet the rogues appreciate him tagging along in the shadows. :smalltongue:

I never saw things like that in 3.5 until I started this hybrid campaign. I love it.

Sylthia
2013-06-19, 09:38 PM
I completely converted the Pathfinder core classes into 3.5 rules so I can use them in my 3.5 game.

I also am using the PF skill point method like you are doing, except I actually don't like my skill list to be consolidated. So I use the original 3.5 skill list.

I really like the idea of being rewarded for class skills rather than penalized for putting points in cross class skills. If a wizard wants to be good at picking locks, then I have no problem with him being as good at it as a rogue if he managed to get the skill as high as a rogues.

I like variety, which is why I prefer the 3.5 skill list. So this method allows for a decent lock picking wizard if that is the character concept someone wants to go with.

I really enjoyed playing my Stealthy Cleric in Pathfinder. I bet the rogues appreciate him tagging along in the shadows. :smalltongue:

I never saw things like that in 3.5 until I started this hybrid campaign. I love it.

A value view, but since Wizards are likely to pump their Intelligence as high as they can, they often can rival rogues for number of skill points. Since Rogues also have to keep Dex, Con, and a bit of Str in addition to Int.

Zaydos
2013-06-19, 09:47 PM
I've played 3.5 with the consolidated skill list before and it works pretty well (it's a big boost to rogues, scouts, and rangers, and a smaller one to other classes [as those classes were expected to put the most ranks in the skills that got consolidated]) and the idea of basically giving a free Able Learner feat to everyone should boost other classes comparatively more (as they tend towards a smaller skill list).

Oryan77
2013-06-20, 12:18 AM
A value view, but since Wizards are likely to pump their Intelligence as high as they can, they often can rival rogues for number of skill points. Since Rogues also have to keep Dex, Con, and a bit of Str in addition to Int.

A Rogue gets 8+Int skill points per level. A Wizard gets 2+Int per level. I don't think a Wizard will outshine the Rogue via skill ranks. A Wizard's skill ranks is the least the Rogue has to worry about in terms of being out skilled. Wizards can do half of the Rogue skills via spells. And often do it better than the Rogue. :smalltongue:

Plus, it's really no different than if a Rogue pumped up Knowledge Arcane or Spellcraft. Same thing really.

Although, Int is usually my 2nd highest ability score for my PC Rogues. I love a good skill monkey, it gives him lots of languages, and the idea of a super intelligent Rogue is just cool to me. There are also some nice ways to add your Int bonus to your melee damage.