PDA

View Full Version : What Heroes are Made Of (IC)

Business Scrub
2013-06-19, 08:03 PM
Chapter 1
"We Had it All"

It's a bright, clear day in the city of Oryten, as the noon sun beats down on you. Green street is alive with noise and action, cart traders have been drawn to the crowds and eagerly shout their wears from the sidewalk.
"Fruit! Fresh fruit here! Bananas picked just today, juicy apples from up north!"
"-the only lantern you'll ever need! You're money back once it goes out, if ever!"
"Yes sir, one-of-a-kind, all the way from Ghayis."

A group of children run down the street, weaving their way between citizens and laughing as an older girl runs after them in a huff.
But the real crowds are at the intersection between Green and Kyeld: the jet-black Pillar is impossible to ignore and indeed, the reason you're here. Even behind the throngs of people it dominates the view, imposing and motionless. City guards wander between the crowds, though they seem to be there for the feeling of safety, as they aren't doing much.
A small perimeter and several signs have been set up right around the Pillar: "Use extreme caution when approaching. Do Not Touch."
A handful of people have workstations or simple notepads set up at the edge of the perimeter, most observing the Pillar through a variety of expensive looking equipment, while a few are bathing parts of it in magical light. Yet more people stand further back, content simply to ogle from afar, trading outlandish theories with their friends.
"The King's Workers made this, my friend told me. They're working on some kind of superweapon, and this one went all wrong."
"Don't be ridiculous. The gods sent it. I think this is how they bring new kinds of life into the world."
"I heard it's full of gold and jewels, that's why people want to see inside it so bad."

FyreByrd
2013-06-19, 08:37 PM
The city was still a strange place to Kethdrim, while he had been here more than a few days, he still hadn't quite got used to it. The noises, the smells, the people, oh the people.

He had often thought that the Tekari clan was large, but now, in a city for the first time he felt oppressed by the sheer weight of people.

This morning felt different however. Every day since he had arrived he had wandered the streets, looking, searching, for something, he knew not what. As he had wandered the populace had walked around him, flowing like waves round a rock, as they moved, but not today. Not today the random movement of people throughout the streets, not today the random conversation of yesterday, today everything pointed to one thing. All talk, all movement, all...everything was drawn to one very specific part of the city. Kethdrim searching for something he could not find, was drawn along with them, until he too stood before the black pillar.

The crowd jostled him, and he turned to scowl at the nearest person. He stood out in this place, his large feathered wings setting him apart from most of the locals, and most of the locals had given him a nice amount of personal space, not today. He gritted his teeth, and returned his focus to the pillar. It was odd, and it confused him, more than a little. He listened to the chatter for a moment, and shook his head ruefully, superweapon or treasure he meant to find out more about it if he could.

ooc:

Lets begin with a few knowledge checks to see if I've ever heard of such a thing before:
Know(Arcana): [roll0]
Know(The Planes): [roll1]

Lightning Fast
2013-06-19, 09:02 PM
"... Are you kidding me?" Darwin exclaimed as he reached the front of the crowd, "I traveled all this way from the goddamn Casa’Ruon Mountains to see a rock. We've got plenty of those at home."

A scowl was shot at him by a strange winged creature. "Yeah, up yours too, feathers." He grumbled.

Barbarians can use knowledge skills too.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) to identify the non-magical part of the rock: [roll0]

... Okay, so they can't use the BEST knowledge skills.

HotRoute
2013-06-19, 09:42 PM
A pale-skinned human weaves through the crowd in a hurry as if he is late for his meeting with this mysterious pillar. He darts through the busy street hunched over, his head buried in a book as he half-runs. He mutters this-and-thats about, presumably, what he is reading, "Drow arcana... never even heard of this... excuse me... full of jewels? No, no that doesn't make any sense... Need to... examine... huh, wha? No I don't want any apples!" Suddenly, the human has made his way to the front rows of the crowd around the pillar; he realizes this by slamming into a tough, stout dwarf, and nearly breaking his nose in his book in the process. "Ack! Watch it yaa...." his voice trails off as he assesses the man. "aahh... sorry, I mean." For the first time in quite a few minutes, the human lifts his head. He has stringy blonde hair and many dark brown freckles. "It's... smaller than I thought it'd be."

Let's see what the changeling has in his books...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Escheton
2013-06-19, 09:47 PM
Having spent the night camped under starlight and the morning scrounging for a tasty meal Gopher and his companions arrive in Oryten, holding the Obelisk, around noon.
He had hoped for a little less crowd...

*Rarw!!(sound)* "Outta my way!", Francine scowled in common whenever she hit a dead end in the throngs. Quickly followed by fear, surprise and plenty of space.

Gopher tried to soothe the masses and gain pass-way by gently drawing attention
"Ow, terribly sorry. Excuse us! Hey! Ow. Sorry. Don't worry, she's harmless...most of the time. Oops, sorry! Excuse us!"

Once through he takes his time to study the Artifact, circling it extensively while focusing on different things. Contemplating while fostering a nice cup of hot tea.

Actions:Cast Mage Armor at caster lvl 6 and Endure Elements at 7 in the morning. 1 hour duration remaining at noon for mage armor and 19 for EE.
Used prestidigitation to clean up a bit and make breakfast taste better.
Detect magic at the Obelisk followed by:
Taking 20 on spot at the Obelisk (because most of it is too high to search): 33
Taking 20 to search the Obelisk: 26
And finally cast read magic to study the text further. Even if detect magic reveals no aura.
All the while taking 10 on passively filtering speech on possible usefulness. Listen 23

Rolls:

Survival check in the morning for better breakfast and perhaps lunch and dinner based on outcome: [roll0](possibly at +2 or +4)
Reginald aid another(survival): [roll1]
Francine aid another(survival): [roll2]

Survival check to predict the weather: [roll3](possibly at +2 or +4)
Reginald aid another(survival): [roll4]
Francine aid another(survival): [roll]1d20+1

Knowledge (Nature) regarding the Obelisk: [roll5]

Knowledge (Arcana) regarding the Obelisk: [roll6]

Lightning Fast
2013-06-19, 09:49 PM
"Ack, 'silright lad. The dwarf responded, examining the stone. "It's a big block o' glowy obsidian. I dunnae see what's so special about that. If it fell from the sky, it certainly wasn't damaged from the fall, though. Whaddya make o' this thing?"

Jötunn
2013-06-19, 10:17 PM
Masel wakes from his slumber to the commotion of the city. The pillar takes precedence over most all the business of the city, and with a small smile he allows that perhaps this commotion might even bring his missing foster brother to the scene, if he is even here in Oryten. It might even be worth looking at this oddity for curiosity's sake.

Arriving at the pillar, he gently weaves through the crowd ahead of him. Only a few times does he have to force his way to the front, and yet he does because the closer he is, the better his divination will work. Circling the pillar, he considers what he might know of such a thing and attempts to consult with the artificers already there, all the while murmuring under his breath. Finally, he stops, takes a stance and closes his eyes, sending his senses seeking towards the stone.

Knowledge Checks!
Arcana: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]
The Planes: [roll2]
Gather Information: [roll3]

I will also use one of my daily uses of Sense Elements directed at the pillar to see what I can discover:
Spellcraft: [roll4]

DrunkenMists
2013-06-19, 10:43 PM
Allessa takes a Look to the sky; idly wondering how her avian companions hunts are going; after a moments contemplation on that; she turns her attention back to the stone and paper she holds in her hand;

She stands very near the signs and ropes; getting close enough her detect magic spell can take good effect; Marking down any information she gleans from doing so; along with any other observations she comes across.

[OOC]/
Using Detect Magic; Spellcraft Check

Knowledge Checks:
Knowledge Arcana: [roll]120+7
Knowledge Nature:
Appraise (Untrained): 1d20+4

Used: 1 Paper, Some Ink

HotRoute
2013-06-19, 11:32 PM
"Fell from the sky? I don't think so..." He's quick to shove off the idea, but honestly, anything is possible. The human examines the ground around the pillar's base to try to identify if it fell and crashed into the earth, grew up from beneath the ground, or simply appeared on the surface without leaving a mark. "I dunno. I guess we're all in the dark here... maybe the answer's in another text... here, hold this." The blonde man shoves a fine-conditioned book into the dwarf's hands. It is black with red text and eery pictures and symbols, written in a language the dwarf most likely cannot read or even identify (drow). The human bends down to pull forth two books from his leather backpack, but as he is on the ground, he takes time to glance through the pillar's audience and check if anyone is using magic, and if they are, what spells they are casting.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lightning Fast
2013-06-19, 11:41 PM
"Hoping yer not expecting me ta read this..." Darwin said, "Name's Darwin Frigidfist: pleased ta meet'cha. What do they call you?"

DrK
2013-06-20, 12:25 AM
Nestor allowed the camel to push slowly through the packed streets as he took everything in. The city was huge - smaller than some ruins in the Red Waste but alive with people it felt cramped and suffocating with noisy hubbub.

Horses shied and carriage drives hissed curses in his direction as he plodded along on the camel, boys and children along with stall holders looking slightly curiously at the tattooed face and ragged clothes of the rider atop the large and shaggy camel.

Spiralling inwards through the streets he slowly came to main square where the crowds were thickest and dropped slowly and lightly to the ground holding the reins. The massive stone block stood just off centre of the square as he stopped to look at it carefully, ignoring the hubbub around him.

Subtracted 1pp from an inertial armour pre the city gates
Psicraft [roll0]
Know Arcana [roll1]
Know History [roll2]
Know Religion [roll3]

As he watches it he glances at the stout dwarf and the man examining the pillar. "Greetings. Do you have an idea of where this edifice originated from?"

FyreByrd
2013-06-20, 03:35 AM
Kethdrim scowls again, as the dwarf is obviously unrepentant at invading his personal space. There seems to be a number of other very interested, well, people, although that was stretching the definition interested in the stone, well more interested than the local populace with their urban myths.

Listen DC15

He mutters under his breath, "I've seen this before, further north." he pauses, "Shadow, Astral, Ethereal..." he trails off into silence.

Taking a breath, he speaks louder, addressing those citizens that are taking an active interest in the pillar, "My name is Kethdrim, and I have seen something like this before...further north in my homeland." Kethdrim takes a step back, "I have dealt with much in my life, yet I confess, this makes me uneasy."

Lexin
2013-06-20, 03:49 AM
Thunn wasn't sure what he was even doing here. He was not a scholar and knew nothing about huge, magic stone pillars... But politics are politics and at least one member of his order needed to be sent out. This time it was Thunn. It was his first trip 'upstairs' and Thurin thought it would teach him something.
Till now Thunn learned that he dislikes this whole open space, this city could use a good ceiling, no rain, not so much sunlight, no problem with winds, only profits. Good thing he packed his favorite medicine (5 gallons of it), so most of the time he felt just like at home.

He has been in Oryten for three days already. First, he spent simply looking around, getting used to the city and finding a place where he could rest and refill his barrel. But since yesterday he tried to find out what's so interesting about this whole rock. In Thunn's personal opinion, nothing, it was probably only some horrid joke made by one of these crazy magicians, it is like putting a "Touch me" sign with a deathtrap linked to it... But others seemed to disagree. Every single observer had his (or her) own theory about the rock and Thunn's best research method became going there and taking notes of these theories. Today too, he came to the pillar, slowly walking through the crowd he emerged near some feathery creature and another dwarf, he didn't know. He was just about to talk to him... but work first...

He pulls out few pieces of paper and a pencil from his backpack and starts taking notes, while quietly mumbling to himself "Day 2. Theories are getting even more ridiculous, although the one where there are monsters inside could at least prove amusing at some point.
Today's observation: The pillar looks exactly the same, even after a night of hard drinking." he stops writing "A shame, this test had promise... maybe I should repeat it tomorrow..?"

He turns to the dwarf "Hello there, I am Thunn Oakhammer, pleased to meet you. What brings you here, brother?"

Escheton
2013-06-20, 08:33 AM
Having spent a good 15 minutes studying the object Gopher stops in Francine's tracks.
He spends a moment or 2 looking over his notes, writing some conclusions, and discerning that he would get no further on his own for now. Time for collaboration and peer review.

As he was coming to this thought he heard a murmur from the other side of the pillar that was decidedly more lucid than most of what he had picked up from the crowd so far.
He gestures Francine to move closer to the source of the sound. And as he gets there a winged man is exclaiming; "My name is Kethdrim, and I have seen something like this before...further north in my homeland." "I have dealt with much in my life, yet I confess, this makes me uneasy.", with the same voice as that of recent mutterings.

"Good day to you sir, my name is Gopher Bocknoddle and this here is Francine and I was wonderi... , he cuts off and after a bit of non verbal arguing with his shirt-pockey it seems, he pulls forth a rat from under his cloak....alright...alright.... "And this little fellow is Sir Reginald."

"You are right to be worried, I have detected runes transcribing VERY powerful and destructive magic. But you were saying something about the astral and ethereal...?"

FyreByrd
2013-06-20, 08:44 AM
Kethdrim half-bows to the halfling addressing him, although obviously keeps his gaze from his eyes. "Sir Reginald?" he asks the emphasis on the first word obviously a question as he glances at the rat.

Then he shakes his head, as if it doesn't matter, "I was not aware anyone was listening to my mutterings, in this press," he gestures at the crowd, "but you are correct I did mention that." he takes a breath, as if assessing his audience, "I saw a stone, about small enough to hold in your hand, that had a similar composition as this. It was made of vapour from the Ethereal, Astral, and shadow planes."

He shrugged, "It was a curio, a oddity, and it cost it's maker a great deal in time, and money, and likely in respect also. If something similar has been created here, I do not understand how anyone could afford to construct it." The tall slim winged being shakes his head slowly, "It also did not give off this strange light, although that too could be a product of size."

Jötunn
2013-06-20, 09:21 AM
While concentrating on his detailed magical examination of the edifice, Masel notices a group of competent-seeming observers with whom he has yet to converse. There is a human, a winged man of some kind, and two dwarves.

He edges his way over, careful to keep his concentration, because once lost it is not easy to regain.

At first glance - and he doesn't have much time for more than a glance - the least confused seems to be one of the dwarves, who is holding a large tome written in spidery script.
"Sir, if you could excuse the interruption, I was wondering whether you had any theories on the spell effect emanated by the promiscuously discernable monolith?"

Yay for no action five foots steps even when taking a full round action!

Not to mention speaking as a free action.

A few more spellcraft rolls:
[roll0] to beat 25, then discover the results from [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5]
[roll6] for [roll7]
[roll8] for [roll9]

After all these rolls, I'll have been concentrating for a minute.

Escheton
2013-06-20, 09:50 AM
"Hmm...interesting. Then I figure the Dimensional Anchor spell runes are likely means to bind these vapours.", Gopher replies to the Raptoran.

Overhearing an inquiry regarding spell effects he states generally to noone in particular "Finger of Death is one of the spell effects locked in the runes, so do be careful...
As well as Imprisonment and Temporal Stasis. All insanely powerful theoretical arcane manifestations. Never have I heard of a man or woman capable of channeling such force, let alone bind it."

On his own note, he pauses a moment in thought and slowly backs away from the Artifact.

"Is anyone familiar with the non-arcane runes? A linguist perhaps?", inquiring the public at large,

Business Scrub
2013-06-20, 12:14 PM
Whether by intent or simply by fate, the eight of you form a small group to the side of the crowd. Not surprising, as many of the citizens are pointedly avoiding Francine.
All of a sudden, you hear a faint, short screeching noise. From the looks on the other's faces, it seems like they heard it too, though the rest of the city continues on like ever.
One of you is about to speak when it returns, this time in it's full, resounding volume. This time however, you can make out two voices between the screeching: a female voice clearly upset, and something deep, angry and feral.
"-anyone? If ---- hear me ----"
"Arrogant!"
"I need --- someone --- can explain."
"Conceited! Prosaic!"
"Go --- Gray Stone ---""You're going to die""look for--""down here""--- ---- it, his empty tomb.""you stupid,""-- latch will find --""pretentious,""--- Hurry!""ungrateful whore!!"
There's a moment of silence, then the quiet crying. "-- know. ... I know."

The sound is cut, and the people around you move on unfazed.

Pets don't hear any of this.
You're characters don't know this because its a modern day thing, but for reference the 'screeching' and '---' is the sound of feedback.

DC 16 Spellcraft or psycraft check reveals that this is some sort of mind link spell or power.
DC 10 Wisdom check reveals that The sound is coming from underground, incredibly far away.
DC 10 Knowledge Local check reveals that Gray Stone 'something' is a popular name for buildings in the south end of Oryten. If you got 15 or higher, you know there is a mausoleum named GrayStone Resting. It's extremely old, fairly large, and open to the public to pay respects to friends and family. If you got a 20 or higher, you know that there is a urban legend that one of the tombs there is empty. Who it is, or why is unknown, and no one has actually checked them for obvious reasons.

FyreByrd
2013-06-20, 12:43 PM
Kethdrim quickly glanced at those nearest to him. "Did anyone else hear that?" he asked.

The tall Raptoran was obviously discomforted, and as he glanced to the sky, a dark shape spiraled down from above, until the raven landed on his shoulder, cawing gently.

ooc:

OK so this is mainly to make it look like I totally remembered my familiar existed. nothing to see here...move along.

DrK
2013-06-20, 01:22 PM
Nestor gave a short now to the others as they spike and gathered beside the strange monolith. A memory of sand and weathered rock flitting through his mind and his young self with paper and charcol taking a copy if the runes.

It is a warning. Heavy with magic and a mark of our hubris before we are all destroyed because of it.

The strange noises in his head makes him snap to attention. I heard it too. What is grey stone?

Lexin
2013-06-20, 02:30 PM
"Some building in southern part of the city." answers Thunn as he absent mindedly takes notes. He didn't know who are this guys, but they actually said things that made sense... and now they even heard something special, not noticed by anyone else but the eight people surrounding Thunn at the moment. Was it a divine sign? Or the spirit of Ale talking only to him?

... no, there was still something in his barrel. He was as sober as he could ever get. This really happened.

"Do we go to check the place?" he asks, hoping to deal with more action than staring at the pillar for another day.

Escheton
2013-06-20, 02:47 PM
Gopher ponders the influence of the Pillar on the message, and contemplates the connection between "Gray Stone", "Empty Tomb" and "Latch"...

"There appears to be a damsel in distress and we seem the only few who heard her outcry. As such there does fall a burden of responsibility on us.
Personally I could not bear the guilt of not investigating.", the Druid answers the dwarf

Lightning Fast
2013-06-20, 03:23 PM
"It's settled then!" Darwin exclaimed loudly, tossing the ancient and valuable-looking book back to its owner with carefree abandon, "An adventure is upon us! Just what I came here for!!

DrunkenMists
2013-06-20, 09:56 PM
Allessa's brow furrows in worry "it seems to be coming from underground to make matters worse"

Her tone takes on a sense of urgency "That Magic felt; Odd and rushed; Somebody's in trouble."

Stay hunting my girls; you won't be comfortable where I'll be heading she mentally sends to her Familiar; hoping the message will be passed along to her Eagle Friend.

FyreByrd
2013-06-21, 02:38 AM
Kethdrim pauses before speaking, almost as if he is communing internally, "I...I am not comfortable underground," he replies, gesturing at his wings for emphasis, "But I am intrigued as to what this object is, and will follow the clues to understand it more."

He pointedly doesn't mention the person in distress at all.

HotRoute
2013-06-21, 04:31 AM
The sandy-haired human barely notices his book flying through the air, and snatches it before the pristine binding is compromised forever.

"Easy with this, Mr. Darwin... you don't know what I had to do to get this text..."

The human finally looks up to see that, quicker than a heart's beat, a swarm of people were around him and the dwarf. Not only was he part of this group without as much as standing upright, but he was apparently dragged into some sort of adventuring party on a whim. But everyone had clearly heard the magical communication, and everyone's interest was piqued by either the vulnerability of the female voice and/or the quest into the tombs. A concerned wrinkle runs across them man's brow.

"I don't mean to spoil everyone's hearty adventuring spirit, but I'm afraid some issues must be addressed." Many members of the circle didn't even realize the man was crouching here before he stood up. He pockets the book back into his pack. "We don't know where that woman was calling from or to whom either of those voices belong. Furthermore, we do not know that she was calling from Grey Stone Resting, simply that she told us, ahem, she told someone, to go there. Perhaps to retrieve something. Or," he flips off his hood, "possibly to lure some bold heroes into a trap."

He peers around the circle for reactions.

Lexin
2013-06-21, 05:33 AM
"Good. I hope the trap is good then. The last one I walked into was quite disappointing...
...it is still much better than watching a stone... it is not even dwarvencraft... Thunn mumbles to himself.

Then he straightens up and says aloud
"Let's go, there is no point in standing here."

Jötunn
2013-06-21, 06:16 AM
Finally releasing his magical probe, Masel straightens and turns to consider the group in front of him. Somewhat taken aback by Darwin's lack of care with the book and his declaration, he realises that perhaps the dwarf was not the scholar he took him to be. Nevertheless, he too heard the voice, and so he speaks.

"I feel that we still have not solved the mystery of this edifice here, but as my master would say, does the mountain crumble before the man? This pillar will surely be here when we return, and we can unlock it's mysteries then."

DrK
2013-06-21, 08:57 AM
Nestor glances around at the motley collection of people around him. A strange occurence like this may be if interest, may even be linked to the pillar as only those of us near the edifice heard the message.

DrunkenMists
2013-06-21, 09:29 AM
Allessa covers her face with a hand and mumbles, "What an odd assortment of people...."

She then looks around...."Are we the only ones who heard it?"

Maybe it's because were close to this pillar... she ponders.

Jötunn
2013-06-21, 11:04 AM
Clearly these folk also heard the voice that I did. But did anyone else?

Masel sidles up to the nearest person he hasn't met yet, and inquires "Did you happen to hear voices and screeching just then?"

Escheton
2013-06-21, 11:04 AM
"Odd assortments do make the best parties. And if that keg contains what I think it does, I'd say we are in for a party.
Now, allow me to clear a path.

Francine? That way please."

With that request Francine pounces towards the front line of onlookers to the south, claws extended and snarling loudly. Off course she makes a deliberate stop relatively far before actually raising herself up for a display of what her claws do. But it is frightening nonetheless.

Lightning Fast
2013-06-21, 02:21 PM
"Awww," Darwin said, looking at Francine, "She's adorable!" He starts off towards the direction of the strange sounds, singing a little tune.

DrunkenMists
2013-06-22, 04:04 AM
Even with a small reason; curiosity; Allessa follows Francine back through the crowds. She hopes to learn what magic called them from around the stone.

FyreByrd
2013-06-22, 04:12 AM
The tall slim figure of Kethdrim, sighs slightly, then follows the leopard, taking care to maintain a bit of personal space around him, and not to get jostled too much. Turg, his Raven familiar, takes off from his shoulder, and flies a little way overhead, his sharp eyes on the lookout for danger.

ooc:

Most of the time, my familiar will be flying 30ft directly above my head, making spot checks as often as possible for anything dangerous/out of the ordinary.
Raven Spot: [roll0]

DrK
2013-06-22, 05:40 AM
Nestor glanced around before with a thin smile slowly vaulted up into the saddle of the large and shaggy, ugly camel and slowly plodded after the others watching the small lithe cat with a wary eye.

A whisper of "Hush now my little friend" to his small bag calming the crystal contained within.

I'll happily plod along with the others

Business Scrub
2013-06-22, 07:52 PM
Francine's snarl draws the attention of two town guards who had been keeping an eye on the group. From their alert looks, it's clear they're not about to let a leopard frighten their citizens. But even as they come to shoo you all away, the motley group heads to the south of Oryten.
---------------
GrayStone Resting is a large, old mausoleum, but clean and kept well. A few blocks of the city have been devoted to the building and the fine garden grounds around it. The front gates are open, with a bored looking, pimply young man in a simple brown tunic seated out front. He looks up from his book at your approach. "Uh, afternoon. Please keep pets in the garden area. If it's your first time here... yeah." He motions to a large, open book containing the sections of GrayStone Resting and the names of the deceased in that area.

Guide to the Grounds and Mausoleum
Each section has a long list of names and their locations. The following locations are list:

Far Grounds
East Grounds
West Grounds
Floor 1, Near
Floor 1, Far
Floor 2, Near
Floor 2, Far
Deep Tombs

Knowledge Nobility and Royalty, Knowledge History, or Knowledge Local could yield information as to what kinds of people are buried where.

Escheton
2013-06-23, 09:01 PM
The druid lifts his cloak up to demonstrate his atrophied legs.

"If you would be so kind as to allow me to ride Francine through the mausoleum that would be greatly appreciated. You see, I have a medical condition and she functions as a walking aid of sorts.
And you don't have to worry. She knows not to defecate on hallowed ground. "

Sensing the need to stress the issue the feline chimes in:
"Pup is wounded, it don't walk. I walk."

Diplomacy aid another, dc 10: [roll0]

[roll0]

Business Scrub
2013-06-24, 06:27 PM
The boy looks shocked when Francine speaks. He stutters a bit when responding. "I- I'm sorry. Them's the rules. Um... ma'am." He adds the last bit, clearly not sure how he should address her.

Escheton
2013-06-24, 07:46 PM
That's quite alright, seems we shall be enjoying the greens for now., Gopher tells the clerk as he gently steers Francine towards the garden.

"Please do inform me of any uncovered clues regarding the distress call, would you?", he asks the newly formed investigatory posse.

DrK
2013-06-25, 03:33 PM
Nestor gently rolls along on the back of the camel before looking at the young boy. "Turn the other way boy. The cat is our tracker. Hold the camel- and for your trouble..." With that he slides down from the camel and offers the reins and a flickering gold coin- the edges weathered and the face decorated with a long forgotten symbol of a long dead god.

"The old tombs are towards the back- along with the rich and noble. Ever the trappings of life chase their owners into death."

FyreByrd
2013-06-27, 04:44 AM
Kethdrim, looks at his new companions, and then once more at the boy guarding the door, "Shall we proceed then?" he asks

Business Scrub
2013-06-27, 10:33 AM
The boy hesitates for a second, looking around before snatching up the coin. "...Alright, but I hope he's right about her being housetrained. Try not to let anyone see you going in." He grabs the camel reigns and ties them to a metal bar of the gate.

Escheton
2013-06-27, 09:03 PM
Taking a quick look around too ensure they aren't seen entering, Gopher takes off towards the old tombs with a big smirk across his face.

Spot: [roll0]

Jötunn
2013-06-28, 09:47 AM
"I would say that speed is of the essence, my friends. Who knows how much time we have while terrible events may be afoot?"

Masel strides forward into the mausoleum, beckoning to the rest of the group.

"Now, did you suggest that we might start by looking up the back at the older tombs? That sounds like a fine idea, a fine idea." This last remark is directed at the now camel-less Nestor.

HotRoute
2013-06-28, 10:30 AM
The freckle-faced human approaches the guide before the rest of the party passes him by. "Excuse me, what did you say your name was?"
[The boy responds]
"Hi [name]," he gives [name] a hearty handshake the kid is clearly not ready for. "I'm Marrick Sams, and my friends and I are looking to meet up with some others here in GrayStone. Did you see a man and woman enter here earlier, and do you possibly know in which direction they went?"

Business Scrub
2013-07-01, 12:19 PM
"Randel, sir." the boy says. "There was an old couple that walked through the gardens earlier, but that's it."

-----

Those that make there way to the deep tombs notice the silence in the mausoleum. Not particularly odd, given the location, but unnerving nonetheless. The third level down is empty of other people, cold, and rather dusty, with large spiderwebs in the corners. Clearly this place has not been cleaned in a while. A few torches light the room, and the walls are lined with tombs set into the walls, three high. The names on the front are mostly cracked and faded, or else are not familiar to most. All in all, the room is not particularly large: there are perhaps a hundred bodies. Some tokens of remembrance litter the floor near the wall, melted candles and old crumbling flowers.

Successful Know(History) checks will reveal information about the occupants here, but that is by no means the only option.

Lexin
2013-07-02, 03:09 PM
"We are supposed to find an empty tomb... right? Does anyone know anything that specific about this place, or do we look the hard way?" asks Thunn as he walks around the place and with a focused expression knocks to the tombs, obviously trying to hear if they 'sound empty'.

Listen! [roll0]

DrunkenMists
2013-07-03, 03:35 AM
Allessa looks around; lost in the sea of headstones and grass; feeling out of place in the place of the dead.

"I'll admit I know little of this type of place; I know of the forests; but not the lands of the dead. I hope somebody is more knowledgeable on how to traverse this type of place than I" she says nervousaly; wishing she was in a forest somewhere at the moment.

FyreByrd
2013-07-03, 03:40 AM
Kethdrim glances at Allessa, his raven having flown back to his shoulder as he entered the tomb, "I too am much more comfortable in the wilds, I know little about the ways other races care for their dead, even so..." he tails off, "...This seems strange to me."

Escheton
2013-07-04, 12:18 PM
Gopher wanders around asking himself if the reverence for the death warrants this kind of inertia and disconnection of the natural cycle...
Then start smelling the place here and there.

Business Scrub
2013-07-05, 01:14 PM
Thunn makes his way around the room, tapping on the tombs. Its hard to make out, but he thinks he hears three spots that echo more than they should. One's name has completely faded, another's first name is faded but has a clearly visible last name Bittern, and the last reads A. Quentir.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-05, 02:13 PM
"PFFFT! The stairs don't need to be that big! Darwin walked over to Thunn and examined the tombstone. "Whatcha lookin' at?"

Lexin
2013-07-05, 02:40 PM
Thunn looks at the other dwarf and says "I am just checking if any of these tombs is empty, if there is an entrance to somewhere here it would be in one of these, right? ... I found three so far." he adds, looking somewhat smug. When asked, he points the seemingly empty tombs.

Lightning Fast
2013-07-05, 03:01 PM
"I know a way we can find out, but it'll likely end up with me in jail, and with several bruises on my hands," Darwin commented, turning to the more magically-inclined members of the group, "Any of you spell-slingers got something for seein' through rocks or teleportin'?!

Escheton
2013-07-05, 03:02 PM
"Lets start with the unnamed one, less chance of accidentally disturbing the dead"

DrK
2013-07-05, 11:21 PM
Bedford, stood near the back remains quiet until pouring to the Bitten Tombs. They used go rule the city when it was new founded. These other names I do not recognise.

FyreByrd
2013-07-10, 03:47 AM
Kethdrim shrugs, "I can teleport a short range, but I'd much rather use that in an emergancy." he sighs heavily, "I would rather get this done sooner rather than later, let us open one of these tombs, and see what can be seen."

Lightning Fast
2013-07-10, 03:14 PM
"Alrighty, then! Darwin placed his hands on the entrance to the tomb lacking a name and attempted to pull it open. "HEAVE!!"

Strength check! [roll0]

Business Scrub
2013-07-16, 10:46 PM
Darwin pulls with all his might. A sharp grating sound fills the room as stone grinds against stone, releasing a cloud of dust. The tomb slides along grooves on the side and opens somewhat. About two thirds of the way out of its slot in the wall, the sliding stops. Whether it was only designed to open this amount or that the tomb got stuck is impossible to tell. A layer of dust and pebble about two inches thick lines the inside and generally the walls of the case, but is generally empty. A few spiders, their home disturbed, scuttle out onto the walls.

Spot checks

Escheton
2013-07-17, 02:56 PM
Gopher activates his watchlamp and a floating orb of light hovers above his shoulder. He uses this light and simple arm-gestures to alert the group too a wooden latch at the back of the tomb, while remaining comfortably seated and hanging back.
"Is that a latch if sorts I see? If someone with some upper torso strength could get that, that would be grand."

DrK
2013-07-17, 03:04 PM
Nestor whispers something quiet and a small quiet slowly creeps out of his vest and rolls towards the narrow gap vanishing within - grateful for the light produced by Gopher...

Send in the psicrsytal!
Spot [roll0]

Business Scrub
2013-07-17, 03:31 PM
The psicrystal rolls into the tomb, but doesn't seem to have a better view. The latch, if Gopher was right and there indeed is one, would be hidden beneath dust and debris.

Escheton
2013-07-17, 03:36 PM
Reaching his hand out and straining to breach the veil, Gopher starts using telekinetic force too move away some debris and pull the latch, if 5lbs of force is enough to use it.

cast mage hand

Business Scrub
2013-07-17, 03:45 PM
With careful practice, Gopher pushes the dust and rubble aside. Now clearly visible is a off-colored stone handle, about four inches, long set into the far side of the wall.
The latch itself, however, is heavier and stubborn, and will not budge to the telekinetic force.

DrK
2013-07-17, 03:50 PM
Retrieving the psicrystal Nestor looks at the latch. "It is only wood - shall I shatter it?"

He looks around at the other people in the tomb lest there are any disagreements?

Sonic energy missile can break it :smallsmile:

Lightning Fast
2013-07-29, 12:01 PM
"No need, friend!" Darwin attempts to get the latch open, by kicking to smithereens or otherwise.

Strength Check [roll0]

Erm... if taking 20 or just dealing damage to it is an option, can I do that instead?

Business Scrub
2013-07-30, 12:54 AM
Darwin reaches his foot in and kicks, but at an awkward angle. Luckily, with ages of weathering and rot, it seemed to be waiting to break any day. With a crack, the wood snaps, and the whole party can hear the whip of a rope being released somewhere behind the wall. In the tomb, Darwin sees the hairy leg of some creature, unnervingly long, scurry away deeper, presumably somewhere behind the tomb.

After a brief moment, the rope stops and a large section of the stone floor in the corner of the room slides further down with a solid thunk. It seems a staircase has revealed itself, but where does it lead? It's quite thin: only about three feet wide, and pitch black. Those with darkvision can see down it, but only until it turns.