PDA

View Full Version : Prone, Bolstered Resistance, and more

Noth
2013-06-19, 08:58 PM
First question is more of an open one. Shouldn't prone grant you a bonus to ranged attacks (With rifles/crossbows)? In real life, and in most video games, and other games, when you are prone you have time to aim and have objects to balance your body to aim. It seems to only give you penalties to ranged attacks, however.
Does anyone have any comments on this, or house rules perhaps?

These are Pathfinder questions, btw.

A second question on another topic: Do Barbarians gain immunity to fatigue WHILE enraged? If so, how does the rage power http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/bolstered-resilience
Bolstered Resilience act in relation to this? Could I be enraged and use Bolstered Resilience every round?

Third question; another topic. This one is more of an subjective question.
What would you, as a Barbarian, pefer as armor if you had the choice:
1) Rhino-hide armor. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/specific-magic-armor/rhino-hide
or
2) A mithral breastplate.

I'm currently a level 4 Barbarian and my AC is constantly falling so low (Due to rage/charge/cleave) that when we found a ring of AC, we gave it to the rogue who now has 23, instead of me, because it wouldn't make a difference. I find that its actually a surprise if an opponent misses me, almost as surprising as when someone crits, so we've decided that the next purchase will be armor for me.

I'd like to keep my 10 barbarian rage speed, and furthermore keep 40 overall speed, so heavy and medium armor is out. However, if the armor was mithral, I could equip medium. However, Rhino-hide grants me an extra dmg on charges, and I only lose one AC point, but I'm not sure. What would all of you choose?

Finally, what other tips can you give me to improve my barbarian's AC to a decent level.

Heres what I look like:
Dex 14,
Masterwork lamellar leather armor

I have 16 AC when i'm not enraged, 14 when I am, and when I charge or cleave its down to 12.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-19, 09:37 PM
Prone is the same in pathfinder as it was in 3.5. +4 vs ranged attacks, and -4 to melee. Check 195 in the Player's Guide for PF.

A barbarian can become fatigued etc while raging.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-20, 01:40 AM
when you are prone you have time to aim

Lying on your belly does not bend time to your will. If you mean that it's less likely you'll be shot while prone, that's accounted for by the +4 AC against ranged attacks.

objects to balance your body to aim

I'd say that if you took a full-round action to deploy some kind of suitable tripod or brace and mount your gun on it, you could get a +1 Circumstance bonus to hit while using it. I'd be wary about allowing it, because the Prone condition is already really strong for ranged characters.

Depending on the terrain you're Prone in, you might get a small (25% ?) chance that a naturally-occurring brace is already within reach, or you could just mount your gun atop Low Cover (like a low wall) if you're already on it.