PDA

View Full Version : You arrive in an airship port on a isle, stranded. What do you do? [pics]

Madeiner
2013-06-19, 10:08 PM
Hi there :)

I am currently running a heavily modified Voyage of the golden dragon in a modified version of eberron. Little arcane and divine magic exists, replaced by alchemy and steampunk technology.

I am changing part of the adventure. My intention is to let the PC, who are on a damaged airship (which is actually a sentient warforged), stop on an island for repair and rearm.

This idea sparked from this one image for the island:
(Spoiler for size)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GluTYzurnCk/UG3DJ7xoRdI/AAAAAAAAAL0/trJEwWm1ro0/s1600/8f16c662a2c1abfdffa7f81f91468e55-d3fmcdf.jpg

I am envisioning this island/port as a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" where warforged, former ship captains, thieves and pirate thrive.
I'd love for the PC to have to do *something* on the island.
I would love a mistery/investigative adventure there, even better if the PC have something to find (ship components?) and they can discover their airship is infact a warforged.

I don't really have the time to make a full fledged adventure. I was hoping someone could recommend a published adventure that i can later modify to fit my needs. I mostly need the framework for a mistery/investigative adventure that i can adapt to a steampunk island like that of the image.

Anyone got any ideas?

Mutazoia
2013-06-19, 10:59 PM
Hi there :)

I am currently running a heavily modified Voyage of the golden dragon in a modified version of eberron. Little arcane and divine magic exists, replaced by alchemy and steampunk technology.

I am changing part of the adventure. My intention is to let the PC, who are on a damaged airship (which is actually a sentient warforged), stop on an island for repair and rearm.

This idea sparked from this one image for the island:
(Spoiler for size)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GluTYzurnCk/UG3DJ7xoRdI/AAAAAAAAAL0/trJEwWm1ro0/s1600/8f16c662a2c1abfdffa7f81f91468e55-d3fmcdf.jpg

I am envisioning this island/port as a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" where warforged, former ship captains, thieves and pirate thrive.
I'd love for the PC to have to do *something* on the island.
I would love a mistery/investigative adventure there, even better if the PC have something to find (ship components?) and they can discover their airship is infact a warforged.

I don't really have the time to make a full fledged adventure. I was hoping someone could recommend a published adventure that i can later modify to fit my needs. I mostly need the framework for a mistery/investigative adventure that i can adapt to a steampunk island like that of the image.

Anyone got any ideas?

Hmmm...you could always try a good murder mystery with one (or more) of the PC's as the prime suspect:

They land in port and split up to do some shopping/carousing/what ever. One player enters a shop and find's the shopkeep laying on the floor. When he investigates the body he finds the poor soul dead with a dagger in his side. Just at that moment some towns folk enter to do their own shopping and find the PC standing over the dead body with a bloody dagger in hand. The "suspect" is released on bond (the corpse seemed a little cold for a fresh kill..so there's some doubt working in his/her favor) but a lock down is placed on their ship preventing them from fleeing. I could turn out that the shopkeeper was killed over a part for some one else's ship...another warforged...a part that awakens the dorman personality of the ship (turning it into an NPC rather than just a cool ship) and increasing it's already potent combat capibility. Now its a race against the clock as the PC's attempt to find the culprit and clear their friend's name before he/she is railroaded onto the headsmans block.

Plenty of opportunity for skill checks to search for clues and interogate other shopkeeprs, for foot chases around the streets and over roof tops....

It shouldn't take a whole lot of work to set it up so you could run it in place of a published adventure pretty easily.

Xeratos
2013-06-20, 01:02 PM
The party's ship is seized by the local "government" because it's recognized as a warforged and those are illegal/somebody in power wants it for himself. Some trumped up charges are made to disguise the true intentions of the bad guy so as not to arouse the suspicions of other government officials.

The PCs have to work with a guild of thieves, spies, and assassins to get the information they need on who took their ship, where it's at, and how to go about getting it back. During the course of the investigation, they discover what their ship really is and that the man who took it is a brilliant, but evil, engineer who plans on modifying it to be used as a super weapon to take over the entire city.

The PCs can then try to rally the city against him, but that's inadvisable due to the engineer's influence and wealth. They're better off fighting a secret war (which really, a city full of evil people and factions is more suited to anyway) to get their ship back.

I'm envisioning a final climactic battle where they've recovered their ship and are flying away while pursued by a small fleet of airships, with waves of soldiers dropping down on them. The party itself is doing battle on the upper decks while the ship does its best to use the new tech integrated into itself to fend off half a dozen other ships trying to capture it.

Madeiner
2013-06-21, 07:39 AM
Both of those are really good ideas, thank you!

I was however looking for a published adventure along those themes. The plots there are nice, but i have less than 10 hours to write the adventure, so i'm looking for a premade one to modify, rather than creating one from scracth based on a plot i have.

Oh and yes, after leaving the island there will be a climatic battle airship vs airship, also involving a pair of dragons. The player ship is already complete with guns, rules for flying and shooting, firing arcs, damage models, etc :D
Being a warforged, the PCs can repair their ships in combat (well the hull has 600 hp, so maybe no, but the guns have way less) with repair potions.

Im basing the combat on Guns of icarus, an airship combat game.

Mutazoia
2013-06-21, 03:51 PM
Both of those are really good ideas, thank you!

I was however looking for a published adventure along those themes. The plots there are nice, but i have less than 10 hours to write the adventure, so i'm looking for a premade one to modify, rather than creating one from scracth based on a plot i have.

Oh and yes, after leaving the island there will be a climatic battle airship vs airship, also involving a pair of dragons. The player ship is already complete with guns, rules for flying and shooting, firing arcs, damage models, etc :D
Being a warforged, the PCs can repair their ships in combat (well the hull has 600 hp, so maybe no, but the guns have way less) with repair potions.

Im basing the combat on Guns of icarus, an airship combat game.

Well there's always this... (http://gobbi.free.fr/scenarii/ADD/TSR%209057%20-%20L2%20-%20The%20Assassins%20Knot.pdf)