PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Dagger vs. Switchblade

Dr.Gara
2013-06-20, 01:58 AM
Can someone please explain something to me? Daggers are light, simple weapons. They are just knives. Switchblades are light, martial weapons. Which just doesn't make any sense to me. Mechanically, they are almost the same weapon, the only difference is you need a DC15 Perception check to identify a switchblade as a weapon. The only difference between a regular dagger and a switchblade, save that, is that one has a little spring inside that makes a blade pop up. Why do I, as a rogue, have to spend a feat learning how to push a button on a knife? Do Fighters drill button pushing, because they are already proficient with switchblades? Am I missing something, or is this as silly as I think it is?

Rainbownaga
2013-06-20, 02:52 AM
Well, historically a dagger is about as long as someone's forearm, so it's a fairly big knife, whereas a switchblade is going to be much harder to hurt an even slightly armoured opponent. Particularly since the spring and latch would probably give way before a solid chunk of steel.

Hehe, just kidding, historical accuracy has no baring on D&d. It really should stay simple but with a higher cost to reflect the extra mechanical complexity.

BWR
2013-06-20, 02:54 AM
Stealing some stuff from this (http://www.sammyfranco.com/knifefightingtips.html)site, I can assume it's because switchblades are inferior.

The internal spring can malfunction in a time of need.
The structural integrity of the knife is usually poor and will not hold up in knife combat.
The hand grips are usually too thin and often slippery for real world combat situations.

Of course, he's probably talking about this (https://www.google.no/search?q=switchblade&client=firefox-a&hs=hPG&rls=org.mozilla:nb-NO:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yrPCUbjDMqa64AS74oC4Bw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=959), which seems a bit smaller than a normal dagger.
Considering the extra technique to make up for the smaller size and inherent structural weaknesses of a switchblade, I'd say a martial weapon is perfectly fair.

Gildedragon
2013-06-21, 02:14 AM
Weapon proficiency rules are made of silly.
Reasonable DM's sigh every time we have to clarify our futile efforts to make things less silly.

It could be martial because they learn to do all the fancy flipping flicking twistyness they do in movies about the 1950's and not cut themselves... but I'd set that as a skill tri...
maybe an equipment trait.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-21, 02:21 AM
Because, between that and leather armor, Paizo is scared of turning all Rogues into stereotypical greasers?

Honestly, that's more awesome than the fluff they usually have.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-06-21, 09:49 AM
Because, between that and leather armor, Paizo is scared of turning all Rogues into stereotypical greasers?

Honestly, that's more awesome than the fluff they usually have.

I'd imagine the greasers would be bards. That way they can just start singing and dancing in the middle of combat. Actually... that gives me an idea for a random encounter.