PDA

View Full Version : Possible for revivify as contingency as wiz?

bot
2013-06-20, 02:23 AM
I've been looking at some different threads concerning best spells for contingency.

Many times i see revivify mentioned, but not how an arcane spellcaster is supposed to actually get it? I don't see in the spell description anything about others being able to do the casting of the spell being contingent.

So is there a way to do it?

NB: I'm assuming arcane because contingency isn't a divine spell, but I guess there might is ways a divine spellcaster can get access too it...?

Dr.Gara
2013-06-20, 02:30 AM
Multiclass into a divine spellcaster, I guess. It wouldn't be easy to pull off, but you could totally do it. At least, by Pathfinder RAW, it doesn't say in particular that you can only use Arcane spells as contingent spells.

BWR
2013-06-20, 02:36 AM
UMD + scroll?

Mountain
2013-06-20, 02:40 AM
A cleric with the Time Domain gets Contingency as a domain spell.

Rainbownaga
2013-06-20, 02:41 AM
Or a cleric with craft contingency

bot
2013-06-20, 02:52 AM

UMD + scroll?

Ah yes ok, so with a UMD DC 29 to emulate wisdom 14 and then DC 24 to cast 4th level scroll, then I could do it.

Thanks, that seems like a relatively durable way to go.

Killer Angel
2013-06-20, 05:55 AM

Ah yes ok, so with a UMD DC 29 to emulate wisdom 14 and then DC 24 to cast 4th level scroll, then I could do it.

Once, my rogue, facing a dangerous mission, used UMD to activate both the scrolls of Contingency + Revify.
It saved my life. :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2013-06-20, 06:25 AM
Once, my rogue, facing a dangerous mission, used UMD to activate both the scrolls of Contingency + Revify.
It saved my life. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm, is it really technically accurate to say "saved" when you mean "got it back quickly and with no permanent loss"?

Dunno. Food for thought.

Eldaran
2013-06-20, 06:32 AM

Revivify is 5th level, and the UMD for a scroll is 20+caster level, not spell level. So it would be DC 29 as well.

bot
2013-06-20, 06:35 AM
Revivify is 5th level, and the UMD for a scroll is 20+caster level, not spell level. So it would be DC 29 as well.

Umm... good point!

Though wouldn't it be DC 30 to emulate Wis 15 now. So DC 30 for wisdom and DC 29 for CL 9

Raendyn
2013-06-20, 07:13 AM
You cant use a scroll spell to make it the contigency target spell.

Because the spell must be a "spell you cast" as contigency states, and not "a magical item activated" which is the case for scroll.

cleric-wizard multyclass can do it , and cleric with time domain as someone already mentioned but the scroll doesnt work.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-20, 08:30 AM
You cast spells from a scroll.

Determining effect
"A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."

This means that if the spell would have been stored in an contingency, it gets stored in a contingency.

As for the UMD, if you have GP to burn, it gets much easier if you first UMD a wand of Guidance of the Avatar twice to get +20 to the rest of the UMD checks. That drops the needed UMD check to 20 and lets you not pass a few times as long as you don't roll a 1.

Mix that with a +2 circumstance bonus from ranks in spellcraft, +2 from a masterwork tool, and maybe 3-4 ranks, and +2 from a charisma boosting spell, you are looking at this being feasible to pull off (but maybe not afford) as soon as contingency becomes available to cast.

Nettlekid
2013-06-20, 08:36 AM
Or just get Contingency on your spell list somehow. If you're a Changeling, then you can take levels in Recaster to add any spell from any class to your list. The non-racial-specific alternative is Wyrm Wizard, but I don't like it as much because it has worse casting progression and Recaster nets you free Metamagic.

Or just pay someone to Craft Contingent Spell on you with Revivify as the target. It should cost 5500 gold, which is a little more than twice what the scroll would have cost you, but without the need for any UMD checks. Also it works, while the scroll doesn't. And there's no need to carry around the Focus for Contingency (the little elephant, which I as a DM love to steal from my party because they never think to ward it.)

Alternatively, if you're already thinking about scrolls and the like, why not buy a Scroll of Pact of Return? It would cost 2275 gold, and take a DC 32 and then DC 33 UMD check to activate (pretty steep, but you can probably manage somehow). Now, a Cleric would cast this spell as an all-day buff, with a specific demise in mind. What you're going to do is hold onto it, perhaps in some way that you can Quick Draw it (aren't there scroll containers in weapons somewhere? Maybe on the back of a shield? I think I've read that. Just have a Least Crystal of Return on that shield, never wield it (because of ASF), but if you need to use the scroll then Quick Draw it) and then when you see that you're about to die, use Celerity and then use the standard action you're given to activate the scroll. Declare the creature that's about to kill you to be the trigger for Pact of Return, and the moment you die, you'll be Resurrected with no level loss and at full HP, which is better than the -1 and stable you'll be with Revivify. It's not perfect, but you're talking about cheating death, so it's gonna be a little tricky however you go.

Psyren
2013-06-20, 08:37 AM
Psions can contingent revivify as well (without needing domains or UMD etc.), which is another place you may have seen the trick.

Raendyn
2013-06-20, 08:48 AM
You cast spells from a scroll.

Determining effect
"A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."

yeah the spell effect is as if u had cast it yourself from your list.

This means that if the spell would have been stored in an contingency, it gets stored in a contingency.

No it doesnt, Contigency asks for you to cast. Stop reading PHB, read Rules compendium, they made it clear that scroll = using/activating an item. no more arcane thesis for scroll spells, no more contigencies no more (countless?) similar abuses.

Krobar
2013-06-20, 09:21 AM
I would take Craft Contingent Spell and then Limited Wish to duplicate Revivify when you can get it.

The Viscount
2013-06-20, 11:26 AM
You could always just rely on a different spell like Pact of Return.

Tyger
2013-06-20, 11:57 AM
Could this be done exclusively with Limited Wish?

1) Cast Limited Wish to duplicate Contingency (6th level Sorc/Wiz)
2) Cast Limited Wish to duplicate Revivify (5th level Cleric)
3) ????
4) Profit.

I recognize that is 600 XP spent, but 600 XP is better than a level loss from having to be Raised.

Krobar
2013-06-20, 12:11 PM
Could this be done exclusively with Limited Wish?

1) Cast Limited Wish to duplicate Contingency (6th level Sorc/Wiz)
2) Cast Limited Wish to duplicate Revivify (5th level Cleric)
3) ????
4) Profit.

I recognize that is 600 XP spent, but 600 XP is better than a level loss from having to be Raised.

No. Because you're actually making the LIMITED WISH contingent, and that's a 7th level spell. Contingency specifies no higher than 6th level. This is the reason why I suggested the feat Craft Contingent Spell - it has no such limitation. But the XP cost may be a bit higher (spell level x caster level x 100 x 1/25), AND there's a monetary cost (spell level x caster level x 100 gp).

At least that's how *I* rule it. YMMV in your own games.

Killer Angel
2013-06-20, 12:54 PM
Hmm, is it really technically accurate to say "saved" when you mean "got it back quickly and with no permanent loss"?

Dunno. Food for thought.

Yep, that's another way to say it. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2013-06-20, 12:57 PM
No. Because you're actually making the LIMITED WISH contingent, and that's a 7th level spell.
Not if it's a Sanctum Limited Wish.

Krobar
2013-06-20, 01:35 PM
Not if it's a Sanctum Limited Wish.

The way I read Sanctum Spell, casting a sanctum spell in your sanctum doesn't change the actual level of the spell you cast. It simply changes how it behaves. No matter what you do you're still casting a 7th level spell with a Sanctum Limited Wish. If you cast it in your sanctum it behaves more powerfully (+1 effective level for purposes of what it does), or if you cast it outside your sanctum it behaves less powerfully (-1 effective level for purposes of what it does), but you're still casting a 7th level spell.

Again, in other games, YMMV.

bot
2013-06-20, 01:41 PM
You could always just rely on a different spell like Pact of Return.

But that's a 7th lvl spell and still a divine spell, so can't see how that's easier for a wizard to aquire. Though your comment might not have been directed at my OP topic, then np : )

Samalpetey
2013-06-20, 01:49 PM
Rainbow Servant?

bot
2013-06-20, 01:54 PM
Alternatively, if you're already thinking about scrolls and the like, why not buy a Scroll of Pact of Return? It would cost 2275 gold, and take a DC 32 and then DC 33 UMD check to activate (pretty steep, but you can probably manage somehow). Now, a Cleric would cast this spell as an all-day buff, with a specific demise in mind. What you're going to do is hold onto it, perhaps in some way that you can Quick Draw it (aren't there scroll containers in weapons somewhere? Maybe on the back of a shield? I think I've read that. Just have a Least Crystal of Return on that shield, never wield it (because of ASF), but if you need to use the scroll then Quick Draw it) and then when you see that you're about to die, use Celerity and then use the standard action you're given to activate the scroll. Declare the creature that's about to kill you to be the trigger for Pact of Return, and the moment you die, you'll be Resurrected with no level loss and at full HP, which is better than the -1 and stable you'll be with Revivify. It's not perfect, but you're talking about cheating death, so it's gonna be a little tricky however you go.

Interesting, tho that would require Quick Draw feat at least right?.

Also wouldn't it provoke an AoO to use a scroll in melee (assuming i'm dying to some punk hitting me with something sharp or similar)

Edit: ... and using Celerity I guess death could be avoided altogether using teleport, shadow walk and similar. I'd actually prefer to find a solution not requiring Celerity spell, as I find it rather broken.

Nettlekid
2013-06-20, 02:19 PM
Interesting, tho that would require Quick Draw feat at least right?.

Also wouldn't it provoke an AoO to use a scroll in melee (assuming i'm dying to some punk hitting me with something sharp or similar)

Edit: ... and using Celerity I guess death could be avoided altogether using teleport, shadow walk and similar. I'd actually prefer to find a solution not requiring Celerity spell, as I find it rather broken.

Like I said, buy a Least Crystal of Return and put it on the shield. You can now draw it as though you have Quick Draw.

I'm pretty sure you can cast a scroll defensively, as you can cast a spell defensively. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just make a good Concentration check, which you should have, being a caster.

That's true, Celerity is pretty excellent. A lot of people have Contingency: Celerity, even though Celerity is an immediate action, just in case they're flat-footed. It gives you options. It is rather broken, but you ARE talking about doing things to cheat death, so you are in the rather broken territory.

What exactly is the build you're looking at? Do you plan to be a wizard, or a caster of any sort, or do you just want to get Contingent Revivify on like a Rogue or something?

bot
2013-06-20, 03:11 PM
Like I said, buy a Least Crystal of Return and put it on the shield. You can now draw it as though you have Quick Draw.

I'm pretty sure you can cast a scroll defensively, as you can cast a spell defensively. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just make a good Concentration check, which you should have, being a caster.

That's true, Celerity is pretty excellent. A lot of people have Contingency: Celerity, even though Celerity is an immediate action, just in case they're flat-footed. It gives you options. It is rather broken, but you ARE talking about doing things to cheat death, so you are in the rather broken territory.

What exactly is the build you're looking at? Do you plan to be a wizard, or a caster of any sort, or do you just want to get Contingent Revivify on like a Rogue or something?

Ah ok, missed the point of the crystal of return (havent used one before, so didnt connect the dots). Yes ok, that takes care of the quick draw feat.

True about the territory, tho I'd prefer to find a way using conventional spells/etc, rather than using celerity since it's borderline banned in our group. But I think you're right about the cast defensively with the scroll (or so said a quick google search)

Its for an existing character that I already have, 12th level wizard (but capable of casting contingency as CL 18 for lvl 6 spells). He would very much like to be further protect against death if at all possible. Already died once, and doesn't want to see it repeated : )

Nettlekid
2013-06-20, 03:55 PM
Honestly, the easiest way for a Wizard to be fully protected is for you to grab a Scroll of Astral Projection (4830 gold) so that anything that would kill you simply ends the spell and sends you back to your body. At level 12 you should be able to Plane Shift and Teleport back to your body, though you could get a Scroll of Greater Plane Shift (3000 gold for the arcane version if you don't want to have to make UMD checks). Or for cheaper costs, a single Scroll of Shapechange (3825 gold), turn into a Nightmare, cast Astral Projection on you and all your buddies, turn into a Bar-lgura or Phase Scarab to Plane Shift back home, scoop up your bodies into a Bag of Holding or something, and continue on your way.

Now, this is VERY lame and broken. But it is one of the most effective don't-die strategy you can get without making a demiplane.

The Viscount
2013-06-21, 11:29 AM
But that's a 7th lvl spell and still a divine spell, so can't see how that's easier for a wizard to aquire. Though your comment might not have been directed at my OP topic, then np : )

Oh, I forgot to mention you'd have to get it through Arcane Disciple of the Spite Domain (it's an OK domain). That does pose somewhat of a barrier. It's also a personal spell, and if your goal is helping others then you'd have to make scrolls or something.