PDA

View Full Version : World's Largest Dungeon: Successful Characters

Maginomicon
2013-06-20, 04:21 AM
The purpose of this thread is to talk about what characters you've played that have been successful in the World's Largest Dungeon module.

No spoilers please.

-----------------

My first 3.5 character I ever made was made for World's Largest Dungeon, and its a utility sorcerer that among other things utilizes three very nifty feats to great effect.

Draconic Breath: Copper
(60 ft line, 2d6 acid damage per spell level of a slot expended to the feat)'
This feat allows me to (as a sorcerer) take the point in hallway marching order and be an absolute BEAST at hallway combat (expend a 2nd level slot to deal 4d6 acid damage to a 60 ft line with all the enemies lined up in a hallway? Yes please!). Of course, as soon as I take my standard to breathe acid (in-character we treat it like I'm vomiting), I hastily take a move action to get behind the tank... until I pick up the Wings of Cover spell and can give the finger to the enemy marching order.

Divine Sorcery: Healing
(Gain a domain's granted power, each day you treat a single spell from that domain as on your known spells list)
Need healing? Don't have a standard cleric available? No problem! I can be your cleric when the cleric can't get to you.

Invisible Needle
(At-will throw a needle of force vs AC as far as 5ft per level of the highest force spell available and do d4 damage per level of the highest force spell available)
Essentially a mini eldritch blast. Often my light crossbow is better, but eh, I have to spend actions putting away my crossbow to cast spells, so having something like this is indispensable.

Those feats allow me to be a decently-competent blaster but save most of my spells known slots for non-damage spells (like Emerald Planes *squee*, which is essentially Wall of Force but a 2nd-level spell). I pick up Manyjaws at ECL 7 and Wings of Flurry at ECL 12 so the diminishing returns on Draconic Breath won't be a problem.

There's more, and I'd link to the hypertext character sheet that I use during play, but it contains copies of the texts of every feat, spell, and ACF the character uses and so it would be frowned upon to link it here. If you really want to see it (it's really neat), PM me.

Yora
2013-06-20, 10:56 AM
What do you consider "successful"? Isn't the goal to clear room after room for all eternity?

dysprosium
2013-06-20, 11:25 AM
Has anyone actually played that adventure to completion?

Mr Adventurer
2013-06-20, 11:30 AM
I ran it all the way to the final map before we had to stop the game for IRL reasons. I still plan to pick it up again someday.

I used several houserules and setting conceits to make it make as much sense as possible. Also a strict table agreement was "accept the dungeon for what it is".

One of the most successful characters was a Batman wizard (elf generalist). Nothing very interesting there. Another was an uber-Druid, and another a Cleric-archer. These were all pretty standard optimised builds.

Saph
2013-06-20, 03:36 PM
Has anyone actually played that adventure to completion?

Yep.

I didn't play the whole way through, since the party were onto map 2 before I joined the group, but I was pretty close. I joined at level 3 while the rest of the party was level 4-5. I finished at level 19, ahead of the rest of the group.

Still the longest level range I've played a character through.

dysprosium
2013-06-20, 03:42 PM
I have always wanted to run/play the World's Largest Dungeon but I have never had the chance.

I would like to believe that once I started that I would finish.

Chronos
2013-06-20, 09:12 PM
Invisible Needle
(At-will throw a needle of force vs AC as far as 5ft per level of the highest force spell available and do d4 damage per level of the highest force spell available)
Essentially a mini eldritch blast.
Not quite a mini eldrith blast, since invisible needle requires a regular attack, not touch. Acid splash would be closer, if you have an appropriate spell to fuel it.