PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Breath

Zombimode
2013-06-20, 05:41 AM
So this reserve feats lets you push creatures around. It does so because you conjure a strong burst of wind directed at the target.

Several question arise:

1. The description states it works "much like a bullrush". Does that mean that:
a) the dwarf's Stability (and similar abilities) would work against Hurricane Breath?
b) Is the direction of the push is "fixed", that is you draw an imaginary line from the center of your square cutting the center of the target's square, and the next square this line crosses is the square you push your target in?

2. Would this ability work underwater?

3. I want this ability to work on objects, too. Since the ability does not let you push around objects by default, this is going to be a houserule.
The motivation is clear: the ability lets the caster to conjure a short burst of wind. There is no in-universe reason why this burst of wind should only affect things that are classified as [creature] in game terms.
My idea is to convert the object's weight into a strength modifier (probably using a table), and then applying circumstance modifiers for shapes.
Any suggestions on that?

Vaz
2013-06-20, 05:55 AM
By RAW, if it is like a Bullrush, then it is not a bull rush. It works in a similar manner, but bonuses and effects keyed specifically to bullrush (ie dungeoncrasher and dwarf stability and improved bullrush etc) have no additional effect.

However for rule of awesome, and trying to recreate "Unrelenting force" from Skyrim, i 'd ask a DM's approval.

However, if you are going that route, you might as well ask for a Half Dragon Template for the Cobalt Dragon (with Dragon Breath feat). This is specifically a Bull rush with a DC equal to damage dealth. Maximise it for DC48 bullrushes, doing additional Dungeoncrasher damage.

nedz
2013-06-20, 06:59 AM
Like a bull-rush, but only 5'.

Check out the Battering Ram spell (SpC—level 2) for an actual ranged bullrush at +10.

Zombimode
2013-06-20, 07:21 AM
However, if you are going that route, you might as well ask for a Half Dragon Template for the Cobalt Dragon (with Dragon Breath feat). This is specifically a Bull rush with a DC equal to damage dealth. Maximise it for DC48 bullrushes, doing additional Dungeoncrasher damage.

Like a bull-rush, but only 5'.

Check out the Battering Ram spell (SpC—level 2) for an actual ranged bullrush at +10.

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't actually look for alternatives. Mostly because I am the DM, and one of my players took Hurricane Breath. He asked if it would work on objects and I said "sure". Now, I'm looking for ways to make it actually happen.
Also, as a DM, I know that there will be an all-underwater adventure soon, so I need to work out how (and if) Hurricane Breath works underwater.

But thanks for the clarification on the "like a bull-rush" wording, though :smallsmile:

Psyren
2013-06-20, 09:11 AM
By RAW, if it is like a Bullrush, then it is not a bull rush. It works in a similar manner, but bonuses and effects keyed specifically to bullrush (ie dungeoncrasher and dwarf stability and improved bullrush etc) have no additional effect.

I would split the baby a bit - bonuses on the target that counter a bullrush (like Stability) would work, but bonuses on the user that modify a bullrush (like Dungeoncrasher) would not.