PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf Wizard Ideas?

Amoren
2013-06-20, 07:33 AM
First off, I know it's not a GOOD idea, but I've become relatively taken to the concept, and have started to wonder if there are any prestige classes or feats (homebrewed or otherwise) that would help with the idea of a gish werewolf? As far as I know, there's only two were-creature prestige classes (Blackblood Hunter, which doesn't advance spellcasting at all but does allow casting in alternate forms, and the one from Complete Divine enhancement, which I think is divine spells only and only half-casting). And, while I suppose one could bludgeon/force the traditional gish classes to work for the concept (eldritch knight/knight phantom + abjurant champion), I was hoping for something that fit the flavor more. So, if anyone knows of any prestige classes more conductive to the idea (either official, third party, or home brew) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Or hell, just ideas for what to do with such a character, or things that would work for an arcane spellcasting werewolf/lycanthrope.

Current Ideas

Use the Werewolf Progression Class (can take level adjustments at appropriate levels where they can be bought off, as well as gain trip for hybrid form!)
Lycanthropic Spell Feat (Cast while as a wolf or wolf-man!)
Quick Change Feat (Shapeshift as move leaves a buff spell as a standard, enlarge person can make for a nice faux werewolf lord)

Ideas for a Homebrew Lycanthropic Spellcaster Prestige Class?

Allow the lycanthrope to add his animal hit dice for effective spellcaster level?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-20, 07:52 AM
I am assuming 3.5 here.

Practical spellcaster can give back some lost caster level. I would recommend abjurant champion as you won't be using armor and can use low level buff slots to great use.

Something like Barbarian 1 (pounce) / Werewolf class 2 / Wizard 6 / abjurant champion 5 / Spellcasting PRC 6

Captain Kablam
2013-06-20, 08:04 AM
Well there's the Shapeshifter prestige from Oriental Adventures. Although that's technically 3.0, but then again you're askin for some homebrew solutions, so I suppose we need not stand on ceremony. Anyways, the shapeshifter thing allows for a wider array of shapechanging options while allowing you to continue advancing your arcane spells. Good?

Lord Haart
2013-06-20, 08:06 AM
Well, there is werewolf racial class X (don't remember the exact number of levels, remember trying to bring them down to a very minimum)/wizard 1/duskblade Y elf among my character prepacks. Duskblade is your d6-throwing gish-in-a-can, wizard gives more daily uses of Shocking Grasp (and a fighter feat, too, so it got at least as much worth as a fighter dip) and practiced spellcaster (important: both wizard and duskblade sides need it!) takes care of caster level.

Eldariel
2013-06-20, 08:50 AM
What kind of a stat spread are we talking here? 'cause I think when you're spending as many levels on being a Werewolf as it entails (I suppose you could be an afflicted lycanthrope and buy-off your Level Adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) to save some of that), you'd be better off with a swift progression class such as Sublime Chord, Suel Arcanamach or something that makes up for the difference in spell levels.

This provided you have the Charisma to support it at any rate. You can then combine this swift progression with classes such as Abjurant Champion to get a reasonable combination of BAB and casting (something I assume you want since a Werewolf should naturally be a fairly adept combatant too).

Amoren
2013-06-20, 09:20 AM
I know there are quite a few ways to roll with a traditional gish build, but my main problem is that they feel more like gish with just a sprinkling of werewolf on top for flavor, I was hoping for something more core to flavor of being a lycanthrope casting spells. Still, I appreciate the advice. :)

prufock
2013-06-20, 09:25 AM
Is "werewolf" specifically important, because you could fluff this using druid or ranger.

Shapeshift druid gives you predator form (wolf!) at 1st level, and you can get the forest slayer (dire wolf) at 8th. If your DM agrees, see if Arcane Hierophant will progress Shapeshift as it does Wild Shape (you'll need level 3 of druid). You lose the Animal Companion, but can get the Wild Cohort feat. Shapeshift Druid 3/wizard 4/arcane hierophant 10/mystic theurge 3 could do it, and still get you 9th-level wizard casting by the end. WARNING: You can not cast spells in shapeshifted form.

Depending on what level you're going to, you could instead use Abolisher to gain Wild Shape, so something like druid OR shapeshift druid OR ranger 1/wizard 4/abolisher 1/wildrunner 1/arcane hierophant 10/mystic theurge 3 is messy but could work. Still get 9ths on the wizard side.

Amoren
2013-06-20, 09:31 AM
For this concept, it rather is. His nature/condition is something important to the character concept I'm working on.

As a second point, I was also hoping to find additional sources for lycanthropic characters, especially spellcasters (to which there is pathetically few things to support such a concept, specifically one feat, and one quite subpar divine prestige class).

But the mentioning of druid does remind me of something. Is there a way to get the magic fang line of spells onto the wizard/sorcerer spell list? The idea of a werewolf wizard casting such things on his claws and teeth makes a lot of sense, but I can't think of a way to go about it (unless they appear on a domain spell list to be combined with arcane desciple, but that feat would need to be stripped of much of its flavor).

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-20, 09:35 AM
A changling wizard or sorcerer could get greater magic rang as a class spell through recaster, and it would play up the shapeshifter theme you got going on.

Also, a dip into warshaper could be nice, if you don't mind loosing a little bit more spellcasting. +4 strength and con whenever you shift is very nice in melee.

prufock
2013-06-20, 09:41 AM
For this concept, it rather is. His nature/condition is something important to the character concept I'm working on.
What is it about the lycanthrope template that makes it fluff-impervious? Is it spreading the curse, involuntary change, or what? There may be ways to model it that don't hurt your casting as much.

Is there a way to get the magic fang line of spells onto the wizard/sorcerer spell list? The idea of a werewolf wizard casting such things on his claws and teeth makes a lot of sense, but I can't think of a way to go about it (unless they appear on a domain spell list to be combined with arcane desciple, but that feat would need to be stripped of much of its flavor).
Dragon and Scalykind domains each have Magic Fang and Greater Magic Fang.

Amoren
2013-06-20, 09:46 AM
What is it about the lycanthrope template that makes it fluff-impervious? Is it spreading the curse, involuntary change, or what? There may be ways to model it that don't hurt your casting as much.

Its curse like nature, that it can be transmitted (he's got a near-phobia of touching others out of conditioning as a child), its connection to the moon (mostly fluff, but a few minor mechanical correlations), and the fact that it could be dropped into most games and function and operate just like the lycanthropes in those games rather than feel like a special case because its something fluffed as a lycanthrope (this one is rather minor).

But, as mentioned, I'm also doing this because I am legitimately curious if there has been support for spellcasting werewolves - because as I mentioned I've only found one feat which really seems to do such.

prufock
2013-06-20, 10:06 AM
Its curse like nature, that it can be transmitted (he's got a near-phobia of touching others out of conditioning as a child), its connection to the moon (mostly fluff, but a few minor mechanical correlations), and the fact that it could be dropped into most games and function and operate just like the lycanthropes in those games rather than feel like a special case because its something fluffed as a lycanthrope (this one is rather minor).

But, as mentioned, I'm also doing this because I am legitimately curious if there has been support for spellcasting werewolves - because as I mentioned I've only found one feat which really seems to do such.

Right on. I can see how the template is more thematic and elegant. There are ways to model some things, just for the sake of completeness, but they aren't necessarily ideal to your concept.
- Curse of Lycanthropy is a 6th-level spell of the Pestilence domain. Arcane Disciple can put that on your spell list.
- For involuntary change you can just roll a Control Shape check (cross class) for the full moon, and a Will save for the alignment change. Even if it isn't mechanically mandatory, you can do this for the benefit of your own roleplaying.

I'm just providing these options because I think you're right that there isn't much direct support for this concept.

Talionis
2013-06-20, 10:17 AM
Runescarred Barbarian (Unapproachable East) might be what you are looking for. I could see it going well with not losing BAB.

10 levels eventually getting 5th level spells, some spells are cast at a lower level than normal.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-20, 10:37 AM
Another odd idea may be going chameleon.

Yes, it is an arcane casting class. All arcane 6th level spells over 10 levels, int based, human prereqs. You can also snag a great +2 to hit and damage out of it, as well as divine spells 1-6th level.

Something like

werewolf class 2 / barbarian 1 / fighter 1 / spellthief 1 / chameleon 10 / abjurant champion 5

You get all sorts of awesome spells, and you can still shift as much as you want. You can even cast in light armor with a feat, and craven will boost your damage.

Rubik
2013-06-20, 01:42 PM
You could simulate this with a (slightly) refluffed divine minion template for +1 LA (doable even without buyoff) or tibbet (refluffed as a canine rather than feline). Shifter or changeling would make a decent base race for the divine minion, as both can change forms into the hybrid version, though only the shifter gains claw attacks and whatnot from it.

Alternately, if there's no LA buyoff and you don't want to use anything but the template or racial class, use levels of cabinet trickster or legacy champion to take the racial levels. That way you get hit dice instead of LA.