PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if

Grayson01
2013-06-20, 12:10 PM
Okay what would happen if a druid Player's animal Compainon died and the Druid cast Reincarnation on it and it came back as a sentient creature? Would it keep it's HD as levels of the creature, would they become Class levels, would it rememeber being the Druids Animal campainon? If said Druid had leadership could it become a cohourt, or would it be pissed tat the Druid for using it to search a head for traps and run of and become the Big Bad in the end?

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-20, 12:14 PM
I think this is similar to what happens if you cast Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) on an animal companion, familiar, or special mount. Once it gains sentience, it can no longer serve in that capacity.

Grayson01
2013-06-20, 12:19 PM
Yeah I know for sure it could not be an Animal Companion anymore. But what about a Cohourt and how do you figure outit's level (HD, class levels ETC...). Stuff like that, what happens to the creature after that.

jindra34
2013-06-20, 12:22 PM
Can't happen. Reincarnate keeps it a creature of the same type. And anything with the animal type is non-sentient.
EDIT: Plus it also only affects physical stats iirc. So no Intelligence changing and therefore (in said rare remote goofy situation) no sudden sentience.

buttcyst
2013-06-20, 12:27 PM
as a DM, I would let the player cast the reincarnate, but I would reassign the %% to the druids list of lvl 1 (or if used a higher lvl list) instead of the standard list in the spell. reason being, IMO, the spell was intended for a fun way to res a party member and the writers just figure the druid would just get a new AC, so the list given in the spell description are all playable races, suitable just fine for a party member or NPC, or even bad guy. (had that one once, they were supposed to capture a guy, they instead killed him and reincarnated him as a bugbear in front of the town sheriff, it was great)

Roguenewb
2013-06-20, 12:28 PM
"For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created. "

The table for reincarnating an animal should not include any sentient forms. The same is probably true for magical beasts and elementals, which, as far as I know, are the only legal options for a druid's animal companion.

It's gonna take more powerful magic like PaO to get a sapient animal companion.

prufock
2013-06-20, 12:30 PM
Can't happen. Reincarnate keeps it a creature of the same type. And anything with the animal type is non-sentient.
EDIT: Plus it also only affects physical stats iirc. So no Intelligence changing and therefore (in said rare remote goofy situation) no sudden sentience.

Specifically: "For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created."

So the creature's type should not change, though it might be a different kind of animal.

buttcyst
2013-06-20, 12:31 PM
"For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created. "

The table for reincarnating an animal should not include any sentient forms. The same is probably true for magical beasts and elementals, which, as far as I know, are the only legal options for a druid's animal companion.

It's gonna take more powerful magic like PaO to get a sapient animal companion.

no kidding, so I was doing it right then, figured as much because it made more sense this way....

dascarletm
2013-06-20, 12:33 PM
Now your druid has an ape that howls at the moon.