PDA

View Full Version : Mount Up!

GutterFace
2013-06-20, 04:09 PM
If you have a mounted combatant PC, and you have to attack him (melee, ranged, rays, etc.)

How do you, as a DM, generally decide if the NPC's are attacking the Mount, or the Rider? Is there a specific rule you use or do you flip a coin if they target the mount or rider?

thanks!

Flickerdart
2013-06-20, 04:13 PM
Intelligent NPCs will attack whatever suits their goals. If they want to kill the rider, they attack the rider. If they think they can kill the mount easily, or want to capture the rider, they'll attack the mount.

Animals will probably attack the mount if they're small and can't reach the rider as easily (although they can be directed by their handlers to attack the rider, or will attack the rider after the rider attacks them if they're wild).

Mindless creatures will attack whatever their instincts (either "this thing looks yummy" or "this thing looks dangerous") tell them to attack.

GutterFace
2013-06-20, 06:41 PM
makes sense, logical. just making sure im not missing any odd rulings in 3.5's mount shenanigans

so since my mount and I occupy the same space, if an enemy that threatens moves away more than a 5' step we would both get an attack of opportunity....correct?

Zombimode
2013-06-20, 06:44 PM
makes sense, logical. just making sure im not missing any odd rulings in 3.5's mount shenanigans

so since my mount and I occupy the same space, if an enemy that threatens moves away more than a 5' step we would both get an attack of opportunity....correct?

The enemy would provoke an AoO from both mount and rider, correct.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-20, 06:54 PM
Unless mindless, A creature will normal attack the rider after he uses the mounted combat feat to prevent damage to the mount from an attack.

The creature is smart enough to attack the thing guarding the other thing.