PDA

View Full Version : monk type build that worked better than expected.

morkendi
2013-06-20, 05:46 PM
Built it for a low op game I was invited to. I was told to make a character lvl 12. I thought it was evil campaign, but turned out to be good. This is the build I used.

Cobra strike monk 2/ pally 2/ fighter 2/ dervish 6.

Feats are weapon focus unarmed strike, combat expertise, versatile unarmed strike, combat reflexes, elusive target, superior unarmed strike, improved natural attack, flay foe, sacred vow, vow of poverty, kai strike, sanctify kai strike, holy kai strike.

Current stats with all vow bonuses. Star 14, con 16, dex 20, into 13, was 18, cha 16. Ac with out dervish dance but all vow stuff is 33 with 24 flat and 28 touch. Saves are fort 20/ ref 12/ will 10. To hit before dance is 16/12/6 with flurry 14/14/9/4. Damage 2d8+4 plus 2d6 vs evil plus 1d6 flay foe plus 3 to hit and damage when dancing.

The way the DM works things, I can activate dance first round, after that I can move and flurry because they should work together.

Turned out fairly well in combat. We went to the temple of Orcus and faced a ton of demons. I was able to use elusive target a lot to make them hit each other as well.

morkendi
2013-06-20, 05:51 PM
I had the most fun with this character than I have had in a long time. I was able to stand toe to toe with some pretty tuff demons. The evasion from monk plus the party buffs and such made it hard to damage me with the high saves and such. Might go scout for the next 8 lvls if we keep playing.

ArcturusV
2013-06-20, 05:52 PM
Hmm. Interesting. But it seems predicated on two things really. One is that your DM was an admittedly nice (And reasonable) guy to let you move and full attack at the same time. Probably not something I myself would do as a DM, though I probably would allow a "Flurry" as a standard where you only get two attacks, not a full routine, if someone asked. Other being that you jumped out of Monk early (Which is a good idea in general), and you aren't facing things to make you pay for VoP. I guess that's three really.

Sith_Happens
2013-06-20, 05:54 PM
The move+full attack is from Dervish. It's kind of their main feature.

ArcturusV
2013-06-20, 05:57 PM
Forgot about that.

morkendi
2013-06-20, 05:59 PM
Move plus full attack is from dervish. Had to take versatile unarmed strike to make my hands count as slashing weapons to qualify. Also lawful good human with 2 flaws for feats, so for vows.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-20, 06:05 PM
Gray Elf Rogue 1/ Cobra Strike Monk 6/ Factotum 8/ Exemplar 1/ Shadowdancer 1/ Swordsage 2/ Mindbender 1

It's actually surprisingly good as a spy and assassin. A bit feat intensive though. Kung Fu Genius, Craven, Darkstalker, Mindsight, Faerie Mysteries Initiate and Skill Focus are all practically required. Shadow Blade and Adaptive Style are also recommended. Then fill out the rest with Font of Inspiration.

The build is actually moderately viable to VoP from levels 1 to 20 (assuming that flaws are in play and your DM is willing to allow Chaos Shuffling your Vow feats into things that are useful and not exalted).

Straight Monk can also make a surprisingly good archer or a surprisingly good skirmisher if you know what you are doing and have a party willing to really play around with tactical movement and positioning.

morkendi
2013-06-20, 06:10 PM
I was kind of spur of the moment thing. Group had all the basses covered, so I wanted to make a better monk without going psy warrior.

morkendi
2013-06-20, 11:33 PM
Any ideas on how I should cap off this build? I can't go back into monk or pally. I should finish off dervish I guess. Other than scout for skermish damage, I don't see any real optionsthat mesh well. Third lvl of fighter is dead, so I am needing a few suggestions. I know I should have enough to level again. May be adding the saint template instead of leveling as DM and I where talking. My character has done a lot for the locals.

ArcturusV
2013-06-20, 11:39 PM
Taking up a few levels of Sohei couldn't hurt.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-20, 11:56 PM
Any ideas on how I should cap off this build? I can't go back into monk or pally. I should finish off dervish I guess. Other than scout for skermish damage, I don't see any real optionsthat mesh well. Third lvl of fighter is dead, so I am needing a few suggestions. I know I should have enough to level again. May be adding the saint template instead of leveling as DM and I where talking. My character has done a lot for the locals.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid
That Druid variant. Very monk like, and 8 levels of Druid is nice enough.

morkendi
2013-06-21, 05:32 AM
If I did the varient druid, would the ac bonus stack with monk ac? I would get my wisdom bonus twice?

TuggyNE
2013-06-21, 07:11 AM
If I did the varient druid, would the ac bonus stack with monk ac? I would get my wisdom bonus twice?

No. It's the Monk class feature on a Druid frame; it has the same name and exactly the same mechanics, so it doesn't stack.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-21, 10:11 AM
I am actually going to recommend Chameleon if you happen to be playing a human.

You would get access to every divine and arcane spell through 5th level.

You would have to swing able learner at some point, but the benefits are quite nice. The ability to cast haste as a 1st level spell or divine power is worth the class.