PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Star (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

lostsole31
2013-06-20, 07:56 PM
The Pathfinders and their companions at the Crow piling of the Irespan, having cleared out the Tower Girls, strange beasts, and a colony of mites, and feuding devils (though making a truce with the Suzerain of Little Erebus), stand ready to delve even deeper into what secrets ancient Thassilon held here. And hopefully ... the Shard of Greed.

Paxre, Shadow Walker of the Dark Tapestry
Ichibod, Fire-Hunter from the Lyrune-Quah tribe of Shoanti (PFS)
Natalya, Thief-Acrobat and former Tower Girl
Dorit Warbear, War Mistress (PFS)
Bessel d'Skaven, Alchemist & Sharpshooter
The Scribe (Speckled Antelope), Martial Scholar (PFS), wielder of the Shard of Pride

Duce
2013-06-26, 05:36 PM
Oww my back is killing me.

lostsole31
2013-06-26, 11:26 PM
"Congratulations, Paxre, says Speckled. "By actually seeing you give your all in a vicious combat situation, having stealth and ambush qualities exceeding that of Natalya, you have just been promoted, such as it were. Natalya, most of your magic and your mindset are forbbattlefield control and partial offense, with good surprise. Paxre is our healer, but his first-strike capability is top end; if someone desperately needs healing ... because that is one of your primary gifts to this group, you can do what most clerics can't, which is to tumble pretty easily around the battlefield.

"Bessel, are you sure the wand wouldn't be better in your hands? I'm usually on the front lines, bombs might not work, and you have the genius to know when best to employ it. Otherwise, I'm happy to carry it as much as a curio as a combat option since I'm the only person here other than Dorit without any spell ability. I have a curse on my blood in that for all of my mental faculties I am unable to cast magic. But ask me about that later, we have a job to do."

AtomicBanana
2013-06-26, 11:45 PM
"If we find ourselves in a combat situation, and it would be best if I were using the wand, then I will take it, but as a scientist, it has no value to me in my experiments."

Bessel shudders inwardly at the blatant disregard a creature of rational thought would have for others to force them to participate in experiments. The most effective volunteer is the willing volunteer after all, and Bessel's best primary test subject has always been himself.

lostsole31
2013-06-27, 02:49 AM
Speckled: "I'll hold onto it, then. I'm pretty keen on when the law forbids such magics, so I at least have the discretion. Besides, after my abysmal failure with the scrolls, by the by, I will have to redouble my efforts in feeling the magic rather than just forcing it."

nasus
2013-06-27, 12:22 PM
Dorit sits down next to Ichabod, not looking at him as she fiddles with a fingernail uncomfortably. Eventually she mumbles, "I'm...sorry for my overreaction. I did not expect it to...escalate in such a way."

Duce
2013-06-30, 10:20 PM
It's OK, I did not realize how sore the subject was.

nasus
2013-07-04, 12:58 PM
"I don't appreciate being made a fool." She gets up, clearly uncomfortable with the apology.

lostsole31
2013-07-04, 11:47 PM
Speckled Antelope says to Dorit and Ichibod, then the party: "Don't worry, Dorit, few do but the juggling jesters. No, we all acted pretty monstrously just now. We failed to act like a team; we let emotions get the best of us with our own mates; we allowed our petty allegiances or gripes to be let out; we showed the worst kind of violent foolishness; and some even did nothing, not even verbalize a request to stop, when they had that power. No, the only one who did all they could was Clacky. Bessel, the next time the party starts to fall apart get those nets ready on Clacky. That's something you can do.

"Now, are we ready to move out .... as a team?"

lostsole31
2013-07-08, 02:12 AM
There are several points of ingress/ egress for this room. Each will be given in roughly clockwise direction.

1). There is a passageway to the north. 50' distance there is a passageway to the west. 10' after is a pwy (passageway) to the right. The sounds of running/ sloshing water come from that direction.

2). 20' to the E along N wall is a door.

3). 20' where you now face is the 30-foot-wide balcony from which you came up into this room.

4). The spiral in the staircase goes down, but you get nothing from there.

5). Speckled Antelope & Natalya find a secret door along the wall to SE (runs NE to SW).

6). At the far south is a door.

7). On the NW wall (runs NE to SW) is another door.

All doors are untrapped and unlocked.

Speckled says "It stands to reason that these doors - three of them might be quarters/ labs for each of the derro. The secret door and spiral are unknown. The passageways to th N are likely the sewer complexes that lead here. I recommend going clockwise on the standard doors."

What say the rest of the group?

nasus
2013-07-08, 08:24 AM
Dorit shrugs. "Sounds like a plan to me."

Duce
2013-07-08, 02:44 PM
Sounds fine to me. Let me cast my Mage Armor Spell, and the Message spell on Natalya, Speckled, and Paxre, and Bessel Also nocks a regular arrow in his bow.

AtomicBanana
2013-07-08, 03:10 PM
Bessel scratches himself, unconcernedly. To Speckled, he says, "If that's what you want, the next time someone falls off the deep end, they'll be netted. To be fair, though, everything seemed moderately well in hand until the end there."

He looks at the first door, draws his pistol, 50% sure there's still a silver bullet inside. "Who's first?"

Duce
2013-07-08, 03:15 PM
Speckled, have you felt any stronger tugs on the Shard you carry?

Duce
2013-07-08, 03:17 PM
Ichabod stands by the spiral staircase to provide cover.

lostsole31
2013-07-08, 08:00 PM
Natalya, Paxre ... do you make any kind of preparation?

Duce
2013-07-09, 09:24 AM
IB stands, scanning the room, including the ceiling. He maintains a distance of 10-15 feet back from each door being opened.

Duce
2013-07-09, 04:11 PM
Paxre, who don't you hide by the edge of the door and be ready to stab anything that charges out, or slip in and stab anything inside.

AtomicBanana
2013-07-09, 04:36 PM
"Clacky, stand in view of the room and ready your nets."

Duce
2013-07-09, 05:11 PM
I'm a bit concerned about the two doors, especially the hidden one, by the stair case.

AtomicBanana
2013-07-10, 05:41 PM
Bessel Initiative: [roll0]

Clacky Initiative: [roll1]

TheCyberwoman
2013-07-10, 10:17 PM
Natalya draws her sword and stands back from the door. Prepared.

nasus
2013-07-11, 12:24 AM
Dorit Initiative : [roll0]

TheCyberwoman
2013-07-11, 08:49 AM
Natalya initiative [roll0]

Duce
2013-07-11, 09:07 AM
Ichibod initiative (FT +2): [roll0]

Duce
2013-07-12, 09:03 AM
I'm going to keep back by this stairway to be able to put it between me and those doors as you open them in case I need cover.

TheCyberwoman
2013-07-12, 01:26 PM
That, doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

lostsole31
2013-07-14, 02:54 AM
The door is opened.

This twenty-foot square domed chamber contains a jury-rigged pair of low operating tables, complete with leather straps at both ends to hold the patients down.

Standing right in front of the doorway when it is opened is a creature with a terrible reek. It is a hideous patchwork made of equal parts troglodyte, duergar, giant spider, and giant rat, but with the lolling head of a half-shaved dwarf bearing a gaping trepanation to the side of its skull. It is alone.

Round One ...

R1T26: Ichibod is sickened by the smell, and thrown off by it, but he does recognize this creature.
It's a carrion golem, a construct. Constructs are animated materials, and in this case it is an animated group of dead parts of other animals. Carrion golems are the "poor man's flesh golem," the latter of which is a far more powerful monster. Constructs are normally mindless and can't be fooled by any magics which affect the mind, and they are immune to a vast array of physical attacks as well. They do not need to eat, breathe, or sleep.

Constructs have no strength of mind that steels their body, no living animation in that regard. Still, they are very tough, tougher the bigger they get. They are designed to guard or attack and thus are very capable combatants.

As with many golems, carrion golems are resistant to weapons and nearly impervious to most magics.
Ichibod, you are "sickened." What do you do?

Paxre on deck, The Scribe in the hole.

Duce
2013-07-14, 11:23 AM
It's a carrion golem! Watch yourselves, it is tough as hell and nearly immune to magic!

IC blasts it with an Frost Ray before diving behind the staircase.
ATK [roll0]
DMG [roll1]

lostsole31
2013-07-14, 07:26 PM
Round One ...

R1T26: "It's a carrion golem!" Ichibod warns. "Watch yourselves. It is tough as hell and nearly immune to magic!"

Ichibod blasts it with a frost ray before diving behind the staircase. The force of the blast does nothing, as does the initial burst of cold. However, bits of the various pieces of patchwork corpses freeze and stiffen where they meet.

R1T22: Paxre, knows jack about constructs, other than what has been learned about Clacky. But "tough as hell" and "nearly immune to magic" is still pretty darn usefull information. Not sure if its bizarre physiognomy is vulnerable in areas or not, Paxre calls upon mystical training and martial skill to begin slashing the opponent to pieces while he blocks out the stench of the monster.
The first katana misses entirely as Paxre had to slightly duck Ichibod's spell. His first claw contacts for 11 damage, and the second one misses entirely in sacrificing for the first. His second slash with the katana smacks against overlapping pieces of flesh. It seems that as tough as they're supposed to be, and despite being walking objects, they still have "sweet spots" for the first strike.
Remember, Paxre's position was shifted post-Ichibod slaughter to take front-line with Dorit as first striker.
FAA: Katana, claw, claw, and spending 1 ki for another katana attack.
R1T19: "Wow," Speckled Antelope shrugs wearily as the stench overcomes him. "You actually stumped me on that one, Ichibod. And here I thought it was some bizarre amalgam undead."

"Good first blood, Paxre, and amazing flurry. It also tells me that it isn't invulnerable to a well-placed blow like this..." he says as his ranseur goes right at its 'heart.' But with the stench filling his lungs, he doesn't quite have the power to push it through.

And subsequently, he looks like a jackass for his braggadocio. :smallamused:

R1T17: Natalya, you are in the second rank behind Dorit. There's no room to tumble around the "Carry-On Golem" (though this is one thing you'd rather have in checked baggage. The only thing you could do actively is to tumble through its square to get behind it on the other side to flank, or to cast a spell. The first would be incredibly tough, but would be epic if you succeeded .... then again, you are a thief-acrobat. Then it hits you ... the reek is terrible and might just throw off your balance as you are sickened by the smell.

What do you do?

Bessel, you told Clacky to ready his nets, but really no other stimulus. Like a summoned creature, you can direct him first and then take your turn ... or vice-versa. Be thinking about that while Natalya acts.

TheCyberwoman
2013-07-14, 10:03 PM
Well, if casting on it doesn't help much how about this!

Natalya casts grease on the floor under the golem.

lostsole31
2013-07-15, 07:44 PM
R1T17: "Well, if casting on it doesn't help much how about this!" And with that, Natalya casts grease on the floor under the golem.

The good news is that the golem turns out to be just as prone (pun!) to environmental effects as anyone else, as it falls to the ground.

The bad news is that the area under the golem ... aka, the epicenter ... flows out to include being under Dorit's and Paxre's feet. No matter, though. Dorit's warrior balance and bulk sets her well, whereas Paxre simply stands - totally nonplussed.

R1T16: Bessel/ Clacky?

AtomicBanana
2013-07-15, 11:04 PM
"Clacky: SLAM the 'Laying-Down Thing'. If it gets up, NET it."

Clacky's attack: [roll0]

Bessel drinks an extract of Targeted Bomb Admixture. (Round 1/4)

lostsole31
2013-07-18, 05:18 PM
R1T16: Bessel assesses the battle and emphatically orders to Clacky: "Clacky: SLAM the 'Laying-Down Thing'. If it gets up, NET it."

R1T15.9: Clacky tries to obey the order outright, but there are a number of obstructions it needs to move past in order to get to its target. The allies let it pass and its weight and stability help it from losing its footing. It steps over to the other side of the golem and brings a double-fist down on the golem for 8 damage.

It is now the battle of the golems! :smallbiggrin:

R1T15.8: Meanwhile, Bessel takes a targeted admixture.

R1T15: The carrion golem manages to find purchase and stand, giving Speckled, Paxre, and Clacky AOOs. Clacky whallops it for 8 damage, Paxre gives a nasty cut for 16 damage, and The Scribe makes up for his humiliating beginning by piercing it with his ranseur for 9 mod damage. Until now, weapon attacks seemed to have been just fine. It seems, however, that Speckled's weapon, in addition to his being thrown off by the thing's stench, was lacking in power in getting to punch through, despite doing acceptable damage otherwise.

R1T8: Dorit, you now stand faces-to-face with this nasty thing. There is also a slick covering on the floor. What do you do?

Ichibod on deck, Paxre in the hole, followed by Natalya ...

Duce
2013-07-18, 11:37 PM
On his turn IC will cast Gravity Bow, while staying behind the staircase. Readies rapid shot with the bow, normal arrows, for his next action. on his next turn he will step out from behind the staircase to fire, then shift back to cover.

RS W/in 30' (Point Blank) w/Grav Bow cast.

ATK 1 [roll0]
ATK 2 [roll1]

DMG 1 [roll2]
DMG 2 [roll3]

And will yell "Take that you depraved dung swilling abomination!"

nasus
2013-07-19, 08:50 PM
Dorit steps up to attack with her longsword.

ATTACK: [roll0]
DAMAGE: [roll1]

lostsole31
2013-07-24, 03:00 PM
R1T8: Though she could double-attack the monstrosity, Dorit rests on the tactical choice of greater accuracy. It's a good call, as two attacks would have missed. Her sword strikes true for 9 damage. As bits of humanoid stuff sloughs off here and there, it is obvious that this thing cannot last much longer.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T26: Behind the stairwell, Ichibod isn't quite sure how badly this creature is hurt. He goes to cast gravity bow on his weapon, but his focus isn't there. As his head clears from the sickness of the stench, he remembers that he used that spell with the derro (and it is well past 4 minutes since he cast it, the battle, and the search).

But no precious time is lost with the keen hunter, he pops out from behind the staircase - letting off two shots. "Take that, you depraved dung-smelling abomination!"

The first arrow hits true, but seems to be greatly minimized as it only does 5 mod damage. The second arrow misses.

R2T22: Paxre sees his opportunity, and goes for a chance to get in the first kill (but with no supernatural speed this time). He works with Natalya's distraction to cut deep into an exposed area for 15 damage! The thing drops, and only its stench and Natalya's grease remains. And the stench is horrible, but with its insides ripped open ... well, after you all retch as your characters may or may not do - your choice - the smell remains but the power of it goes away soon enough.

(Which, btw, Natalya would need to dismiss or it might have some interesting consequences...)

Combat over ...

AtomicBanana
2013-07-24, 03:43 PM
Bessel wipes the unheeded reminder of breakfast from around the corners of his mouth.

That...was really disgusting.

He glances into the room, staying off the grease puddle.

nasus
2013-07-24, 03:52 PM
Dorit quickly wipes her blade of the stench, keeping a careful eye on her companions should they find more trouble.

Duce
2013-07-24, 04:24 PM
IC empties what is left in his stomach down the stairwell.

Duce
2013-07-24, 04:26 PM
He also tries to find the lost arrow.

TheCyberwoman
2013-07-25, 04:04 AM
Natalya, more disgusted by the vomit than the stench, steadies herself and suppresses her gag reflex with as much nonchalance as she can muster, then dismisses the grease.

Still not as disgusting as certain wererats...

nasus
2013-07-26, 04:13 PM
Dorit ***** an eyebrow.

"Says the woman they found in the sewers."She sheathes her sword, "Or so I'm told."

TheCyberwoman
2013-07-28, 02:13 AM
Natalya smirks.

You heard right, you also might have heard that I wasn't quite myself. Besides that's nothing compared to some of the, um, habits of wererats I've known. Just ask Spot, I'm sure he remembers some of the more colorful details from before we destroyed their mangy hides, that's another thing you might recall.

lostsole31
2013-07-30, 12:39 PM
Ichibod will have to go into the room, and will find that his arrow is destroyed.

Speckled stiffens for a second and then looks to Natalya. "And whom are you referring to when you say .... 'Spot?'"

This 20-foot-square domed chamber contains a jury-rigged pair of low operating tables, complete with leather straps at both ends to hold the patients down. The surgical tools are filthy, but with Ichibod recognizes it as a good set if cleaned up. Bessel appraises the set at 200 gp. After a good search, it seems the room holds nothing else of interest or value.

As you work your way clockwise outside, the next thing you get to is the balcony you climbed up to get here. After that is an easily detectable secret door. No traps. No locks. Opened up, there is a roughly 10' x 30' (with 20' to the side) landing after which there is a wide spiraling stone staircase.

"Perhaps we should hold off going down yet and check for prisoners here? So far, everything has been pretty well apportioned by sub-level." Speckled asks.

Duce
2013-07-30, 03:24 PM
That works for me. Let's check the next door to the left. I'm running short on arrows and powerful spells, so will be using my fire and frost rays if anything jumps out. I'll get those surgical tools cleaned up when we get back to the Manor House. They could come in useful.

lostsole31
2013-07-31, 02:00 PM
The next (untrapped, unlocked) door opens to a 5pwy (5' wide passageway) that runs NW-SE. It only goes about 5' to the SE, but runs approximately 40' to the NW before turning SW.

Paxre, as his modus operandi, scouts ahead.The corridor splits and ends in two equally-sized square rooms - a bedroom to the NE and some sort of abbatoir to the SW. He first sneaks to the NE and finds a combination bedroom, study, and lab. He is taken by surprise as some spinning octopoidal think drops on him from above.

R1T22: Again, before Paxre's great reflexes can muster, there is an ilk of darkness that washes the room.

R1T21: Paxre takes swing at the thing with his katana, missing. A claw, however, digs brutally through it to crit for 8 damage while the other claw misses as he shouts, "Hey, guys! There's some creepy flying thing in here!"
Everyone roll initiative, though I might roll it later. Lemme know if Russ is back online with playing...

Duce
2013-07-31, 06:58 PM
IC shouts back "I'm sure you can handle it, or would you like me to try and put it to sleep?' while readying a spell."

INITIATIVE (FT +2) [roll0]

nasus
2013-07-31, 11:25 PM
Dorit :

INITIATIVE [roll0]

lostsole31
2013-08-01, 06:10 PM
R1T25: Ichibod shouts back "I'm sure you can handle it, or would you like me to try and put it to sleep?' while readying a spell."

Paxre answers, "I nipped it pretty good, but now even my eyes have trouble seeing in some effect that is like ink. It's little, flies around, and is like an octopus that just filled the air with that stuff. A hand would be nice ... y'know, for backup."

Ichibod, do you do anything? While this large room contains those glowing blue mushrooms, the hallway leading down doesn't include any illumination.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-02, 09:06 AM
Bessel squints down the hallway, seeing if he can make anything out.

Initiative: [roll0]

Duce
2013-08-02, 10:37 AM
Paxre, try drawing it out so we can see it!

Duce
2013-08-02, 11:18 AM
IC will hit whatever it is with a nouvelle Magic Missile blast as doom as he can see it.

Standard (1d4+1+1 force)
MM #1
[roll0]

MM #2.
[roll1]

This should be his last available Lvl 1 spell.

While also thinking about what it is:

Know nature (+8):
[roll2]

Duce
2013-08-02, 11:24 AM
'Double' and 'soon'

lostsole31
2013-08-04, 08:24 PM
The next time there is a misspelling, please just edit the spelling. If you have to, put an edit at the bottom to let us know what you meant. Please do not provide a separate post just to show what you meant. Remember posting limitations.

Oh, and heed the Carnae.R1T25: Ichibod continues to shout, "Paxre, try drawing it out so we can see it!"

Ichibod readies his last magic missile to blast any enemy chasing behind Paxre.

R1T23: The Scribe delays.

R1T22.9: Clacky delays for orders.

R1T22: The creature smacks Paxre for 4 damage and holds him fast and constricts him for another 6 damage. Paxre's entire upper body is held.

R1T21: Paxre yells, "Help! Help! This think is squeezing me! *Cough, cough*"

R1T18: Bessel, what do you do?

AtomicBanana
2013-08-05, 12:00 PM
"Clacky, follow me!"

Bessel runs down the hallway towards Paxre's voice, pistol drawn.

lostsole31
2013-08-05, 01:03 PM
R1T18: "Clacky, follow me!"

Bessel runs down the hallway towards Paxre's voice, pistol drawn, and Clacky follows. It takes the two of them a double move to get there, but he sees an area of murky darkness that even his own darkvision cannot fully overcome. He sees some general mass in the darkness thrashing about, but can't make it out.

The Scribe says, "Well, here we go. Paxre is the perfect enemy detection scout. Natalya, when you're ready. You have the torch."

R1T17: Dorit, what do you do?

nasus
2013-08-07, 10:28 AM
Dorit will follow Bessel, weapon in hand, intent on protecting her party.

lostsole31
2013-08-07, 06:15 PM
R1T17: Dorit goes to follow Bessel, weapon in hand, intent on protecting her party. But as she turns the corner down the hall, she has to trace the wall more slowly with her weapon. She still manages to bump into Clacky, but she's in darkness now.

R1T14: Natalya, The Scribe is waiting for you to go move down the hallway since you carry the everburning torch. What do you do? I assume with the torch you have the mithral shortsword in hand.

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-07, 07:42 PM
Natalya follows the others, torch in hand and ready to cast mirror image if there's an enemy in the room.

lostsole31
2013-08-07, 08:11 PM
R1T14: Natalya follows the others, torch in hand and ready to cast mirror image if there's an enemy in the room. The torch sputters and goes dark, creating only a soft glow around itself, but now the room is dimly lit before lighting up this cross-passageway to normal light. Bessel and Paxre see just fine, but not because their darkvision didn't work. [The former just didn't have his bearings yet, and the latter had trouble seeing the two stealth-mongers.]

Paxre seems to be mixed up by some type of pure black creature wrapped around his pure black clothing. If Natalya considers Paxre an enemy, then she just might have cast this spell anyway. :smallbiggrin: She casts her spell, and she senses that she strikes gold as the maximum images (5) whirl around an in and through her. There are now six-ish Natalya Vancaskerkins.

Now that everyone can see this fleshy, octopoidal web constricting Paxre...
Natalya: This squid-like dark-skinned creature is a darkmantle, a subterranian predator that attacks by dropping onto its prey. It is a magical beast (q.v.).
The Scribe: As above, plus - Though small creatures, darkmantles are strong for their size, and make natural grapplers due to their tentacles and cloak-like skin. Typically attacking by dropping from above, a darkmantle that misses will usually fly back up to the roof of its chamber and try again.
Bessel: As above, plus - As well as having a natural camouflage that allows them to hide easily in underground caverns, darkmantles can also cause darkness once per day. Darkmantles see easily through this magical darkness through the use of bat-like sonar, though this can be disrupted by the use of the silence spell. This would probably understand why Paxre's great stealth was of no use to him.
R1T13: The Scribe immediately follows behind and he stands next to Bessel. The Scribe and Bessel are now on the front line, followed by Clacky and Dorit, then Natalya. Ichibod is back the way you came.

"Perhaps," says the Scribe, "bombs would be a bad idea with Paxre in its grip. I don't think even your excellent bombardier skill can help, Bessel. Of course, the way Paxre acted recently...." :smallamused:

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T25: Ichibod, you handily played clearance breech to let the others bye, but now that they're in you only see torchlight around the corner. What do you do?

Duce
2013-08-08, 09:34 PM
IC moves in and nails the thing with his prepared Magic Missiles

Standard (1d4+1+1 force) DMG #1
[roll0]

#2.
DMG [roll1]

While also seeing if he can identify what it is:

Know nature (+8):
[roll2]

lostsole31
2013-08-09, 11:20 AM
R2T25: Ichibod moves and nails the things with two magic missiles for no more than 6 force damage. It seems its spongy nature must minimize force.Or your crappy rolls have too be explained as something other than, well, crappy rolls.
R2T22: The darkmantle continues to constrict Paxre for 5 damage.

R2T21: Paxre uses the pressing motion of the darkmantle, despite the pain, to "pop" himself. He stands on the opposite side of Speckled to flank.

R2T18/.9: Bessel, you are next to The Scribe on the front ranks, Clacky is directly behind you, and you ended up (with Specks) face-2-face with this thing. What do you do?

AtomicBanana
2013-08-09, 12:20 PM
Bessel takes a giant comedic step backward, keeping his eyes on this blasphemous mantle of darkness. He raises his pistol.

"You are one hideous spawn of-"

His finger squeezes. The pistol fires.

touch attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

AtomicBanana
2013-08-09, 12:27 PM
His shot fired, he calls back to the automaton, pistol still pointed at the darkmantle.

"Clacky, net it!"

Apology for the double post, didn't want to try and edit a post containing a dice roll

lostsole31
2013-08-11, 01:52 PM
R2T18/.9: Bessel takes a giant comedic step backward, keeping his eyes on this blasphemous mantle of darkness. He raises his pistol.

"You are one hideous spawn of-"

His finger squeezes. The pistol fires. The bullet hits. The darkspawn takes a solid 5 damage.

His shot fired, he calls back to the automaton, pistol still pointed at the darkmantle. "Clacky, net it!"

"THUMP!" and a net goes sailing, but Paxre wants no part of that and he forces himself and his opponent low as the net goes over head.

R2T17: Dorit, fancy guns and magic missiles and nets aren't working. What do you do?

Natalya on deck, The Scribe in the hole ...

nasus
2013-08-11, 07:31 PM
Dorit moves up and slashes.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

lostsole31
2013-08-12, 04:55 AM
*SPLAT!!!*

...and Dorit shows how its done. Ol' school with a sword.

The darkmantle releases its grip and slides off Paxre like a sickeningly wet pancake.

Combat over ...

This is just a small connecting passageway. Paxre is going to hold off going ahead. Which room is checked first - the NE one that looks like it may be the bed chambers, and some type of lab to the south?

AtomicBanana
2013-08-12, 09:17 AM
"Paxre, you may want to touch yourself. It's fine, we'll all turn around. Not watching. Or judging."

Bessel turns around.

lostsole31
2013-08-12, 12:47 PM
"No," says Speckled flatly, glancing at Ichibod and then Paxre, and finally to Bessel. "I think we've had enough of giving him our back."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-12, 02:16 PM
Bessel spins back around, eyes wild. "Oooooohhh...." He squints malevolently at Paxre, stage-whispering, "I'm on to your tricks now."

Then, conversationally to the rest of the group, "Though, to be fair, he was invisible that time. So, we could all have had our backs turned on him. Hypothetically-speaking."

Bessel reloads his pistol with a Cold Iron shot. To Speckled, "Where to next, boss?"

lostsole31
2013-08-13, 01:27 PM
"Why is eveyone calling him 'boss?'" Paxre says angrily to Bessel while pointing to Speckled Antelope with one hand and then healing himself with the other. "He's constantly pointing to Ichibod to take control, anyway, right? And despite his supposed mastery of these types of places, Ichibod still ends up looking to him! He was just supposed to be your chronicler, but somehow he got the first Shard. We were doing things where each of us could guide the group, and we still end up following a guy whose fingernails are as dark as my eyes. What gives? We should take tuns leading the group if we're going to do that."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-13, 01:36 PM
"Well, Paxre," Bessel explains, "When you grow six feet I'll start calling you boss. But for now," he points to Specked.

"He's the tallest one here."

lostsole31
2013-08-13, 03:32 PM
Paxre shakes his head in disbelief. "Are we in an orc tribe now, where the biggest gets to lead? In that case, why not the strongest - Dorit? or the prettiest one - INatalya? and why have you been his little laprat, anyway? Ever since was the first one to NOT pay for potions? I don't understand.

"Do the rest of you think the tall guy should lead because ... he's tall?

AtomicBanana
2013-08-13, 04:11 PM
Bessel replies, "Yes," as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

His head throbs at Paxre's incomprehension, disappointed that a similarly-sized creature doesn't understand the realities of this world at all. Perhaps one had to be a 'lap rat' to really get it, to understand that working in the dark and staying alive means finding the largest shadow and staying in it, because that's what keeps one from getting stepped on. It was why Orcs had chieftains, why Humans had lords and kings, why Dwarves had elders and generals. And it was why Ratkin had patrons.

Bessel thinks, of all the other sentients in the group, the bug should understand the importance of avoiding being stepped on.

He checks his extracts and bomb components in near-silence, muttering rote-memorized alchemical recipes under his breath.

nasus
2013-08-13, 04:12 PM
Dorit smirks, "He makes a good leader because he is intelligent and wise. It just so happens he fulfills the rat's requirements, as well."

Duce
2013-08-13, 05:58 PM
Lets check the bedchamber first.

lostsole31
2013-08-13, 06:55 PM
Speckled listens to all of this quietly, and when Ichibod makes his recommendation, he looks down at Paxre. "But in this case, it was not the tallest but the one with the greatest humility and willingness to take action instead of complain that just made the command."

He stares down @ the entobian malcontent. Then smirks.

Paxre can't even stare back, but covers his staredown failure by just looking away angrily. "Oooooh!"

lostsole31
2013-08-14, 03:03 AM
Natalya and Speckled do a cursory trap sweep of the bedroom while Paxre scans for magic, and then give the all clear.

This is an unkempt bedroom of sorts. Bessel will be very happy to see not only an alchemist set, but one designed for small persons such as himself. This particular set is used for the distillation of bodily humors, as a quick check by Bessel could easily determine.

Among the lab paraphernalia lies something that looks like a meat grinder, but instead of blunted points there are two opposing faces of sharp hooked blades facing each other.

"Guys, this is magic!" exclaims Paxre, the tautness of a few minutes ago having washed away with finding magic.

Speckled Antelope says, "Well, Bessel, you've already used the pendant of the souk's ability to identify objects, since it is only useable once per day. Fortunately, I consider myself quite specialized in this area."
OOC: Speckled Antelope has the following ability as a Scholar class ability:
Identify Magic Items (Ex): May examine the item as with the spell detect magic, and may add his level [+4] to the Spellcraft check to determine its properties.
It takes him only a few seconds to look it over and say, "This is an extraction scarificator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/extraction-scarificator). Fascinating item actually. On one hand, it is a cruel way to hurt someone by drawing their fluids out of them for your own gain; on the other hand it is an excellent sacrifice to have a friend allow you to do this. Come to think of it, you could use it on yourself if you really wanted to."

He then proceeds to explain its function (as per the link above) and abilities.

Also in the alchemy set, and interesting in how it is unlike what Bessel has dealt with before, are seven vials of a slightly glowing, bluish liquid. The vials are cool to the touch. This obviously must be the room of the derro that had the injection spear; that spear also had bluish liquid in a vial like this.

Anyone interested in the extraction scarificator?

Duce
2013-08-14, 08:05 AM
What a horrid thing. I say lock it up on the Society Vaults.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-14, 09:18 AM
Bessel contemplates it for a moment.

"I think I may be able to utilize this. It won't be pleasant, but I have hopes that the sacrifice may be worth the pain it causes."

He then picks up one of the bluish vials and examines it closely for a minute.

Craft: Alchemy (Identify Potion) [roll0]

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-14, 11:23 AM
That's a cut sentiment Ichabod, but if we locked things up just because they were unpleasant, what would we be left with? Where would we put Paxre? I think he might just be a little big for a jar with holes in the lid, but we could try. It might be fun.:smalltongue:

AtomicBanana
2013-08-14, 11:33 AM
Bessel snickers lightly, finishing his examination of the vial, and looks at the alchemical equipment, seeing if there are any empty potion vials.

"I wonder..."

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-14, 12:44 PM
Natalya saunters over to Bessel, and looks over his shoulder. Obviously perplexed by the equipment she says:

Ok, I'll bite. You wonder what? Pray tell.

lostsole31
2013-08-14, 01:10 PM
"Ha. Ha." says Paxre flatly, but then looking to Speckled Antelope, Dorit, and Ichibod. "Not that I care anything about your Society so much as the opportunity it presents. You're not part of their little dinner club, Natalya, but surely you know what I mean."

Using some of the identifiable solutions and the like in the lab, Bessel easily determines that the substance is frostspore. It is a blend of brown mold spores and other liquids that feel cool to the touch, and is a moderately capable poison if injected or swallowed.
Frostspore: poison—ingested or injury; save Fortitude DC 13; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d6 cold damage plus staggered for 1 round; cure 2 saves; cost 100 gp.
Paxre, knowing it isn't magical but fascinated by the pretty cold blue liquid (and possible poisons and potions) asks, "What is it?"

Bessel...Retcon description here, but I'm going to go on shift as a cab driver soon, so I don't want to hold everything up for the next 12+ hours. You are a terrible liar if you tried to BS the group, and I doubt you would have any idea of doing so....describes the properties of this interesting poison.

Speckled Antelope says to Ichibod. "You're right about some objects that are too dangerous to be in the open, my friend. But such things are more powerful than this. However, the Society compensates its groups for such finds so that it can study these objects. If common enough, it at least is something that can be sent to a place where it can be shared, lent or borrowed. And that, Natalya, is a way many Pathfinders can feel better about locking things away. The Society usually can't afford to compensate much more than the black market or other wealthy magic sellers or the like, but at least you know where such a thing is going ... "

He looks to Bessel, "This object was designed more for doctors first, and toxicologists second, to determine the issues afflicting a patient. I have more knowledge on medicine than any town doctor; and the surgeon here with all of the toys - Ichibod - already expressed an interest to pass on the idea. I would like to ask for the scarificator, and that you share or give Paxre the poisons. You have an academic interest in them, but Paxre can make better use of them without so much preparation as you might have to use just to get a cartridge to carry it on a bullet."Under normal RP conditions, determining the imbalance of humors in a patient falls under Heal rather than Craft: Alchemy. However, to be truthful in pure game mechanics, anyone can make use of this object.
To the group: "On the other hand, if you feel that an object worth this amount is better spread among the group in coin, perhaps we would do that instead. I am thinking the Society would compensate us for such an object for about 1125 gp or so. Ichibod, this would suit your suggestion.

"Bessel? You, me, or turn in? Paxre, despite coin amount, does that sound fair to you? Natalya, Dorit, what do you say?"

Paxre shakes his head. "Are you kidding me? Sure, the poisons would be great. The big man makes a point that I should get these non-magical items for how they best would be used. But other than a single cure light wounds potion, I don't have a single magic item. It's about damn time, and I kinda' like this one. I can easily heal the wounds caused with my magic, and I've been getting the short shrift here. And most of the things we find won't even be sized for me."

So, input from the rest?

AtomicBanana
2013-08-14, 01:36 PM
"I'm interested in the frostspore, but only in terms of replicating its recipe for future production. Paxre, for the practical use of the poisons, I trust Speckled's insight and relinquish them to you." Looking longingly at the remainder of the lab equipment, he sighs, "We can return for the equipment later, we don't have time to pack it properly now. There may still be living test subj...captives."

Bessel turns to Speckled, and pulls back a sleeve of his poncho, offering a bare patch of skin.

"But first...might as well test the bloody thing out."

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-14, 01:53 PM
I say let him have his toy. I have no claim on it, nor any good reason to keep from him. Now I can't say I'm not intrigued by this.

Natalya steps closer to the pair, to watch.

lostsole31
2013-08-14, 02:37 PM
Speckled and Paxre negotiate a compromise, mainly with Speckled's guidance. Mind you, Dorit may have different insight.Both have Diplomacy +10. Huh.Paxre can have the scarificator. He is right about pretty much getting nothing out of this so far. In addition, he also gets three of the vials, Bessel gets two for use or testing, and ... at Speckled's recommendation (you would have thought it would have been Paxre's), Natalya can get the other two vials of frostspore. Her ability to get in some excellent shots might help her.

Does Natalya want the vials? or, does she relinquish the offer?

"You're right, Bessel," says Speckled. "We don't have time for this. And we definitely don't have time for you to bleed everywhere when we don't know what else there is to do. I know you're fascinated, but we'll have time enough afterwards.

"Paxre, how much healing do you have left?"

"After the one spell I just used to heal myself? I have only one more CMW left. That's it. After that, all I have are my orisons. That, and one CLW potion."

Speckled Antelope asks for a group inventory of healing magic.Waterskin refers to who still has magic water from the fountain in the upper levels still in their pack. Though never stated when we were at the table, I assume it was only natural for the group to fill up. Also, I gave Natalya the waterskin that was part of general equipment at base camp.

Bessel: 2 CLW potions. 1 CLW extract (self only). Waterskin full.
Dorit: 2 CLW potions. Waterskin full.
Ichibod: 2 CLW potions. 1 lesser restoration. Waterskin expended.
* Still wounded, 85%.
Natalya: 2 CLW potions. Waterskin full.
Paxre: as above. Waterskin expended.
Speckled: 2 CLW potions. Waterskin expended.
"We actually seem to have enough light healing passed around right now. Dorit or Natalya, so nobody uses expensive potions, can one of you please let Ichibod drink your water? If it doesn't heal him fully, than the other?

"If there are so many frostspore vials, including the one that was on the derros injection spear, I have a feeling that we are going to find some brown mold ... and very likely one the other side of the room. We'll change up the order. A guard would already have responded to the darkmantle attack, so I don't expect creature activity ... just brown mold. Bessel and Ichibod ... yes, Ichibod ... you'll take the front line. Bessel, ready your cold bombs; and Ichibod, get ready to use your ray of frost as just that - frost instead of fire."

Dorit, Natalya? Who offers to help Ichibod first?

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-14, 04:35 PM
*sigh* I can share ;)

Natalya looks at the vials. I'll take them if you think they'll be useful in my hands.

Duce
2013-08-14, 05:07 PM
IC Steps up...

INITIATIVE (FT +2) [roll0]

Will blast it with his Frost Ray on his action.

Frost Ray (PBS: +1 attk/ dmg). +1 force damage to ALL spell attacks.

ATK [roll1]
DMG [roll2]

lostsole31
2013-08-14, 06:04 PM
Speckled says to Natalya, "I'm sure you might find a good use for them. Poisons are particularly good against weaker physical types like arcane casters or even rogues, the types that tend to stay in the back. You maneuver past that front line and bring the line to them, you'll be particularly effective."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-15, 01:11 PM
Bessel draws his poncho back over his arm, gripping his pistol nervously. His other hand hovers around his bomb components.

"Well, let's get on with it, then. Ichabod?"

nasus
2013-08-15, 03:56 PM
Dorit brings her attention back to the group. "However the lot of you feel things should be divided is fine with me. I'm more concerned with getting you all to this next shard safely."

lostsole31
2013-08-15, 09:23 PM
[See OOC. Moving on ...]

Continuing clockwise from the great hall is a door. The normal door checks are made with nothing noted. The door is opened. A 20'-long-pway(NW) leads to a chamber. Since party torchlight is already in that room, there is no scouting.

This square room seems to serve a dual purpose as a bedroom and a torture chamber. There is an exit to the west, 10' wide and going only 20' down to a chamber beyond. Before you even toss the (obviously female derro's) room, Natalya notes a stench wafting in from the west and a weak voice coming down the hallway. It is a croaking, broken noise ... rasping and wheezing ... "Who .... who's there?"

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-16, 04:10 AM
WIS Check: [roll0]

AtomicBanana
2013-08-16, 09:09 AM
Bessel raises his pistol cautiously. "Who's asking?"

He nods at Ichabod, signaling to continue together towards the voice.

Duce
2013-08-16, 10:08 AM
Ic cautiously moves toward the voice, ready to blast the source if needed. He will continue to move forward until he is in line of site of the source of the voice. He asks....

Please identify yourself, and keep your hands where we may see them?

nasus
2013-08-16, 01:20 PM
Dorit prepares to move herself in between her companions and harm's way.

lostsole31
2013-08-16, 01:45 PM
Rezah......you awaken to noises and the clanging of heavy armor. There is torchlight from beyond the passageway that opens right into your cell, though you see in the dark.

You have been the prisoner of a creature you know not what. Your captor is half your size or even smaller. She has bulging white eyes, wild hair, four-fingered hands, and carries an aklys (a hooked club that can be thrown short distances and retracted) and a magical wand that clouded your mind to be more amenable to her, but that clouding seems to have worn off. She doesn't speak your language, which frustrates you both to no end. She is quite barmy, and laughs with glee or rages as her mood strikes her. She played with your mind as if it were a toy, though the language barrier was a problem.

The nice thing is that not only is she not there, but you easily intuit that with all of the things happening in the next room she might even be dead or incapacitated.

Unfortunately, what you don't know is who you are, what you are, how you came to be in this place, or in fact ... nothing prior to a few days ago when you awoke (or simply realized as in trying to awake from some stupor). At all.
This means that until you RP realizing each .... individual ...ability (that means no "package remembrance"), you don't even know your name (that will be handled later), your goddess (again, handled shortly), or any of your abilities. Again, RP rediscovery. You are absolutely clueless, though you obviously have your moral and ethical compass, as well as any predilections you might otherwise have had.

Oh, yeah .... all 6'5", 276 pounds of green you is naked.... the smell is offensive. It is that wretched and disgusting shade of a man. He is obviously from the absolutely lowest part of the social ladder, and is horrid to look at. The stench from him sickened you at first, but you are getting used to it ... which means that it simply doesn't give you bad heaches, but is still a vile smell. Still, there is need to speak with a fellow captive. His name is Fenster the Blight, and it infuriates you that this creature can remember his name.

You hear his broken voice, "Who ... who's there?"

Then comes the reply. [See above.] The first voice is shrill and small, while the second voice has a nice, simple sound to it.

Rezah, do you say/ do anything

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-16, 02:52 PM
Rezah massages his temples, as if to will away the fog and gain some recollection back. After several moments of this fruitless endeavor, he turns to Fenster and growls in a low, barely audible voice, "Careful, human. I do not want to trade one cage for another."

After this, he moves as far from the door as he is able and adds, "Whatever is there may not spare us."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-16, 03:07 PM
Bessel, not hearing a response, repeats his question in Draconic, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, and Undercommon.

nasus
2013-08-16, 04:18 PM
"Considering they called out in Common, I assume you could just reply in kind."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-16, 04:21 PM
"I wanted them to know that someone exceptionally intelligent with a solid multilingual approach was rescuing them. In the event they care to repeat the tale for, you know, posterity."

Bessel pauses thoughtfully.

"Besides, the Kobold dialect of Draconic is supposed to be very soothing, have you ever heard a Kobold lullaby before?"

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-16, 05:30 PM
I doubt very much that what our new friends here need is a lullaby. A bath smells like it's in order though.

The wrinkle in Natalya's nose may be in response to Bessel's hubris, or to the stench. Probably both.

nasus
2013-08-16, 07:49 PM
"Rescue? Friend? Considering what else we've encountered, it seems far more likely they'll be someone who needs to be subdued before they cause us problems."

lostsole31
2013-08-16, 10:17 PM
Rezah, when you looked at Fenster, you looked over in his direction since you aren't in an actual cage .... though the metaphor is well-worded.

Ichibod, the torchlight behind you to help you peer into the area. A curved hallway stretches to the left and right, with stone cell doors lining the inner wall.

Everyone easily heard a more clear response from a different, stronger voice. Meanwhile, Rezah hears several voices including that of two women. One of the voices (you can tell it is the same small-but-projected voice) babbles in what is obviously half a dozen languages or so ... none of which you understand. Because of the stone nature of the area and the speakers, you pick up what has been said, even though you aren't at the front facing the passageway. (You don't know your orientation, but the passageway is around the curve to your left. You saw the projected, indirect glow of torchlight.)I need to know what your 18 Charisma, skilled Diplomacy voice is like, Rezah...

Oh, I forgot to mention. Even with the forgetting of abilities, you currently are blanked of spells.
For the group, the smell now makes sense. You remember Fenster, Fenster the Blight. He was the man living under an upturned boat in a warehouse that you went to so you could get information on the Tower Girls. He seems very capable at skulking and was quite knowledge, despite being equally quite nuts, at giving you the final piece that a Tower Girl (Natalya) was holed up in a run-down boarding house. The rest, as gamers say, is campaign history.

NatalyaFenster described as above for his "home," but after the Tower Girls suffered losses in a guild war and had to retreat, Fenster's warehouse was the first place to go. After that, the Tower Girls discovered the Crow piling on the Irespan. You went exploring and found the Shard of Pride and realized that your plans of dominating the guild would have to start by building a power base outside the guild so you could come in by force later. You called in favors on a handful of toughs, and made contact with sewer goblins (your royal servants and bodyguards) to begin setting up your holdings.
There, Ichibod, in the front-facing cell, you see Fenster the Blight on the ground looking your way. In his rasping, slurring (Cockney), "There be the bowman huntin' Ol' Fenster ta' skin 'is bones. And he brung tarts and timmies to taik 'im away, too."

He weakly manages to flop one hand out of the cell, but the other hand is simply lying on the ground near to him. Without actually having had the ability to roll in city filth it seems that his smell, which is still pungent, is not enough to sicken you. You know he is naked, you see that, and that is more sickening than his smell could ever be.

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-17, 01:27 AM
My apologies Dorit I misspoke, I should have said old friend...or informant, or traitor.... Depends on the the day or the perspective.

Old feelings of guilt and anger are barely concealed as Natalya moves away from the group and out if sight of the cell door.

Whatever, we know what's in there, now someone cover what's left if him up. It's unsightly.

lostsole31
2013-08-17, 01:08 PM
"We don't know all that is in there," Speckled says to Natalya.

A smooth, gentle voice with a nice under-resonance calls out towards the cells, Rezah. "I heard a voice of reason and wisdom respond more to Fenster than ourselves. Your captors are dead. If we wanted to kill you, we would simply leave you here and go about our way. But we'd like to start off on better footing than paranoia. So, please, place your hands outside the cell. One of our missions is to rescue those captured by these detestable blue cretins."

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-17, 05:39 PM
Rezah strokes his chin thoughtfully for a moment; an action lost to those outside. The last voice to call out appears, to Rezah, to be calm yet confident and lacks any edge of malice.

He calls out in a clear, firm voice "I would rather take my chances with you than alone in this cage."

With that, he moves to the cell door and extends his arms, up to the elbows, fingers splayed out.

lostsole31
2013-08-17, 11:00 PM
Natalya turned away, and I assume Bessel is morbidly interested in Atalatia's studies - at least academically despite her insanity, and Dorit is probably there to protect that backline.

This leaves Ichibod, Paxre, and Specks moving inward. Ichibod probably lights something for backline while Specks takes the torch. Specks reels for a second but pushes into the room, not quite as stalwart as Ichibod. On the other hand, as soon as Paxre moves in he blanches and moves out. "No, thank you. I don't know who that guy is, but he smells like an unwashed ghoul's balls."

Ichibod, you make your way to the south side where you see thick, greenish hands sticking out of the cell.

[Rezah, describe yourself. Ichibod, describe yourself. Be sure to include updates (and losses) for current equipment.]

Meanwhile, Specks curves around to the northern cells. He stands transfixed for a moment and then bolts upright and looks away. "Dorit, Natalya! One of you, please grab the sheet off of the derro's bed and bring it as quickly as possible. All other males in the party stand back until this lady is covered."

Then a little softer he says, "Now, now. I won't look at you until you are covered, but I am a physician and will need to look you over afterwards. Even then, I promise to be sensitive to any humiliation you may have suffered. For now, one of our ladies will find some covering for you, meager though it may be."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-17, 11:40 PM
Bessel shrugs and immerses himself in Atalatia's notes. He gathers up as much as he can and places it in a pile on the table.

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-18, 12:50 AM
Rezah is a large, strikingly handsome half-orc. He stands every inch of 6'5" tall and is a very solid 276 lbs. He has the green skin of an orc, along with green-gold eyes and dark green to black hair. His face has a bit of scruff, as he has been detained for an unknown period of time. His hair is relatively short with an unmistakably martial cut.

Most interesting, however, are the several distinct markings that scar his otherwise unmarred flesh. On the back of his left forearm, branded deeply but very cleanly is the unmistakable silhouette of a scimitar. The pommel starts just below the elbow and the tip terminates right above the wrist. On the inside of his right forearm he bears a similar marking, only this time the brand takes the form of a dove. A third and final brand stretches from Rezah's lower jawline to the cheekbone and back almost to the ear. This symbol is of a winged woman with a fiery halo, arms spread wide. A fourth mark rests over his left pectoral; it is not burned in like the others but merely discolored skin, a birthmark. It takes the form of a fiery sun.

nasus
2013-08-18, 03:19 PM
Dorit puts away weapon and shield so she can grab a sheet, yanking it from the bed and shaking it out. She unceremoniously "folds" it a couple times to make it manageable as she brings it in to Speckled.

"Find something interesting, boss?" A corner of her lip curls upward in a smirk at her own joke.

lostsole31
2013-08-19, 02:15 PM
Dorit begins with "Find something" and Speckled thumbs to a back (northern) cell for her to go, but when she says "...boss?" he looks at her and says, "You, too?"

"There's a third prisoner in there," he says. "She is very scared and humiliated with being naked. Don't be soldier-girl on this one, Bear. She could use strong but gentle hands."

When Dorit gets to the change (Speckled hands her the torch), she sees a beautiful woman that might just be even more beautiful if she could be cleaned up. She is dirty and her raven hair is unkempt. She is shapely yet petite and likely in her late teens or early 20s at tops. She is curled up into a fetal position, tear marks having cut through the dirt, and her eyes open in shock. Her lips are quivering and she is making a soft whimpering sound.

Dorit, what do you do?

"Ichibod, some light..." Speckled tries popping the lock onquickly but it is an extremely good lock, so he'll have to take his time with it.

Bessel, it is going to take you a bit to begin to go through Atalatia's writings.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-19, 02:25 PM
Bessel looks around the table for something to tie the bundle of papers together for packing on Dorit. Occasionally he looks towards each entrance to the lab, feeling the fur at the base of his neck prickle at the thought of brown mold sneaking up on him.

nasus
2013-08-19, 02:46 PM
Dorit crouches as best she can in her armor, peering through the bars as she waits for Speckled to unlock the door.

"Hey Little Linnorm, curled up in your den..." she softly speaks this phrase from a childhood lullaby, then offers the sheet to the young woman through the bars. "Don't worry about this big guy, he's a gentle soul. We'll help you, I promise."

lostsole31
2013-08-19, 03:43 PM
The young woman is too in shock to move, much less register the blanket. Seeing that Natalya and Paxre both turned away because of the smell, Speckled calls out, "Thanks for the help, guys. Weren't you the one boasting about being a better lockpick than I, Paxre?"

There's a few seconds pause before the reply, "Well, yes, but I thought you needed the practice."

"Damn," says Speckled Antelope after a minute. "This is a damn tough lock. Okay, this may take even longer."

It takes ten minutes (which, when we think about it, isn't that bad) to pop Fenster's lock. He then moves over to take care of the woman's lock, doing his gentemanly best not to look at her. Once he's down with that, Dorit is able to cover her. Though she is in shock, she can be helped up and moved carefully; it may be more mental shock than anything physical, especially since she has no wounds.

Lastly, Speckled Antelope unlocks Rezah's cell. The tall man opens up the cell and holds up whatever light source Ichibod provided. ("No skulls.")

Rezah, opening the cell is an unlikely-looking adventurer. "Hello, Child of Sarenrae. I am The Scribe and I will be your jail-breaker for the evening. If you have any questions about the menu ... Stay, or Go ... I will be by your cell again to help you with your request."
Human male. 6'6", good but slender build (215 lbs). Has mottled skin pattern that alternates between medium normal to light tan. Hair is brown with dark blond splotches. His eyes are blue. Not a striking blue, but an almost blandish blue.

Instead of wearing adventurer's clothing of any kind, he wears the long, black robes and skullcap of an academic or in this case, a scrivener. His profession is noted in the faint inkstains on his fingers. On the other hand, once the lock to your cell was opened, he picked up an all-metal ranseur made of a somewhat darker shade of metal than normal. He has a composite longbow at his back, and other weapons: morningstar, bola, net. Definitely someone who at least fancies themself a warrior. Too, he was able to pick the lock on your cell.

And what's this about "Child of Sarenrae?"
He takes out a bedroll from a backpack and hands it to Rezah. "Perhaps you should cover up with this."

He calls to his companions. "Okay, let's toss the place for anything interesting, and then leave by way of the derro tunnels to the sewers. It's a long walk for these folk, especially without shoes, but our two boats just won't do it and I don't want to leave anyone behind. But unless you have better advice we have prisoners and now it's time to get them home safely."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-19, 04:13 PM
Bessel walks over to the giant naked green man, holding a stack of papers flat to his chest.

Ratfolk. Male, judging by his voice. Around four feet tall, but he slouches and hides his body under a hooded poncho. His fur is black, but his eyes are pink. The parts of him that extend out from his clothing are either covered with dark patchy fur or pale and hairless and marked with various types of burn scars. Combined with a subdued rank of uncleanliness, you can detect faint odors of saltpeter, ammonia, sulphur, and black powder.
"Is it just the three of you, or are there more unwillings down here who might not be in the cells?"

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-19, 05:27 PM
Still puzzling over the Human's comment, Rezah absentmindedly dismisses the Ratfolk, "I do not know, furry one."
Wrapping the bedroll about his midsection, he calls after the human, "Scribe, what do you mean "Child of Sarenrae"? Do you know why I am here? Do you know who I am?"

lostsole31
2013-08-19, 09:31 PM
The Scribe is not confused by Rezah's lack of self-awareness. "There has been a small, slow rash of people that disappear from Magnimar and then return weeks later with confusion and a lack of understanding of where they've been. It might be that whatever they did to you was worse."

He points to your bodily markings. "It is obvious that you are an extremely devout, and likely militant worshipper of Sarenrae, the Dawnflower. The derro steal people, and then return them topside so the lack of actual murders make it less likely that an attempt to hunt down the derro, whose presence was unknown until now. I'm sure we'll figure out why once we take some of the notes from the three derro and look them over."
Rezah [with a natural '1' on the DM's behind-the-screen roll on your Knowledge: Religion check], the name "Sarenrae" means nothing.

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-19, 10:25 PM
"These markings?" Rezah examines his arms, grasping each in turn. The derro! Might they have done this to me?" he asks, offering his arms to the Scribe for further inspection.

nasus
2013-08-19, 10:36 PM
Dorit helps the young woman along, humming softly to her.

She is an imposing 6'4" and 300lb of human woman in plate mail. Along with the impressive physique, she has the telling blonde hair, pale skin and cold blue eyes of the Ulfen people.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-19, 10:56 PM
Bessel returns to the female derro's research table and begins frantically looking through the notes, scouring them for lists of test subjects, trying to find if there are further survivors beyond these three.

His tail whaps against the dirty floorstones, one of the many signs of his agitation and anxiety.

lostsole31
2013-08-20, 07:17 AM
"Definitely not," the Scribe answers, "these are holy tattoos and brands that .... hello, hold on."

He looks intently at the pectoral mark. "Not a tattoo ... not a brand ... this is a birthmark. This is an auspicious mark, indeed. Just like our insectoid friend, you bear a mark very holy to your faith; and that faith is one of a goddess of healing, redemption, and the sun. Definitely the opposite of what the derro desire ... especially the sun, which is deadly to them. Hmmm, that could be why you, specifically, were captured. Either way, you are a holy warrior for your faith and no doubt at all you are some sort of priest as well, for such markings are for those destined to need Sarenrae to cast spells in the darkest times when no symbol is about them ... like now."

Bessel, as you scan quickly over the notes, the basic idea is that Atalatia's believes that surface-worlder's ability to tolerate the sun without dying is psycho-somatic, and has conducted many psychological experiments in attempting to determine how the unconscious mind manages that resistance.

She also mentions how she will one day displace her magister, Mistres Khrysm, and run her own coven of derro, and lead her people into the sunlit worlds to conquer the world.

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-20, 08:20 AM
Natalya, finally gaining some composure feels a pang of guilt over her most recent behavior, but only the closest of observers would notice. Instead, for all intents and purposes, she seems as smiling and calm as a noble caught in a small social foible.

Striding over to Dorit, "My apologies Dorit, how can I be of assistance."

She kneels down to be at eye level with the girl who, while no longer cowering, does not seem to have the strength to stand for very long. Natalya studies her face. Almost to herself,"Well, aren't you just the prettiest little thing. I'm sure there's an angel somewhere under all that muck."
Then more openly, and flashing her warmest smile, "Dorit, here's taking good care of you isn't she, mind if I help her get you all cleaned up and pretty again?

AtomicBanana
2013-08-20, 11:10 AM
Bessel continues poring through the notes, trying to wade through Atalatia's preambles and ravings, looking for subjects. He pulls the hood of his poncho low over his head and moves back and forth over the pages, his nose a scant inch from the text. He now mutters absent translations of the words into Gnome as he reads, seemingly unconscious of it.

nasus
2013-08-20, 11:17 AM
"I think being pretty is the least of her worries at the moment." Dorit does the classic lick of the thumb and then wipes something off the girl's cheek with it.
"Though we've been in here long enough I'm sure we could all use a bath."

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-20, 12:16 PM
"A holy warrior and priest of Sarenrae..." Rezah says, more to himself than the others. "How would a lost servant of Sarenrae contact his goddess to seek guidance, Scribe?"

lostsole31
2013-08-20, 02:58 PM
NatalyaThe cantrip prestidigitation .... which you have ... is perfect for cleanup jobs like this! :smallbiggrin:

In other news. I'll start calling you Ripley, but her name is not likely to be Rebecca/Newt. :smalltongue:
The Scribe replies, "By getting out of this den of evil and back to the world of the sun. Then we can figure that stuff out .... after you and the other two are taken to the Arvensoar so they can see who was rescued."

Bessel, what you are finding out is that Atalatia mentions having to answer to Magister Khrysm every week or so. It isn't fair, for surely Atalatia is more beautiful and terrifying, and would make a much better leader for this group that pompous bitch. The author says she would love to get a chance to catch her napping without her "sleepless little pets."

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-20, 04:32 PM
Rezah gestures to the other prisoners and then to the bedroll wrapped around his midsection, "Surely we were not all taken from our baths. There must be something of mine in this infernal place that could at least tell me of my name and my purpose in these lands."

lostsole31
2013-08-20, 05:44 PM
"I don't think Fenster there has ever seen a bath. He'd probably melt. Well, friend, what do you suggest? Paxre already mentioned he is damn near out of spells for healing, but we have plenty of consumables."

The Scribe looks at the rest of the group, and calls for Paxre. "Natalya, Ichibod? How are you on spells? Think we're good enough to go looking for their equipment? I have a feeling that the others are only clothes - or in Fenster's case what passes for them. A guy like our half-orc, though, is likely outfitted. Shall we press on and possibly end this? or, do we get them out of here? We'll need someone to stay behind to watch the three of them if we do. That would be Paxre if anyone since he can watch in silence and ambush an ambusher ... and he's out of spells.

"Unless, Green One, you want to come with so you can identify your things? I know we have padded armor in the base camp above, along with a silver flail. Dorit was holding a magical buckler, though she wields that big shield. What say we?"

Duce
2013-08-20, 06:31 PM
IC just stands quietly by a wall providing light and keeping a lookout.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-20, 07:13 PM
Bessel straightens up from his examination of the documents.
"I vote for continuing if we have the supplies to, even if it's only just enough. When we came down this time I said it was to bring back anyone who was taken; I didn't mean only the first three we happened to come across."

He glances at the girl for a moment. "And if there's anyone else left here that needs rescuing, there's no saying they'd be in just as bad of a condition as her."

Meeting Speckled's eyes, "Or worse."

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-20, 08:39 PM
"I will accompany you and render what assistance I may be able to," Rezah says, rather confidently for one dressed such as he. "Perhaps I will remember something helpful along the way"

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-21, 12:08 AM
To Dorit, "I know our priorities might diverge slightly, but never underestimate the power sprucing up has on moral."

To the girl, "This won't hurt turtle dove, and you'll feel a lot better". Feeling a little like a fairy godmother, Natalya casts Prestidigitation on the girl. She's by no means prestine, but the bulk of the grime instantly vanishes, revealing a lovely complexion and a hint of the luster her inky locks might normally shine with. "Not bad."

Natalya smiles at the girl before turning her attention to the Orc. Walking over to Rezah, he sees that she's human with long dark hair tied back with a scarf and green eyes. She wears no armor, and more jewelry than is strictly practical for an adventurer, in fact the only utilitarian piece are her finely crafted boots.
"What about you, tall green and...tall? Mind if we pretty you up too?"

lostsole31
2013-08-21, 12:51 AM
Stunning. That's pretty much the term one would use for this woman. Now that she's cleaned up, you would say she is about 22 years old or so. And it is likely you have never seen a young woman so beautiful ... to the point and beyond of both heartbreaking and inspiring.

It is enough for a pause as everyone notices ...

"Careful with that cantrip, Natalya. If you use it on Fenster you might just kill..." Speckled suddenly stops as he looks at her. "I do not know your name, but you are the most incredibly beautiful woman I have ever seen.

"Folks, we have definitely saved a noblewoman."

Meanwhile, Paxre is milling about Atlatia's room while Bessel tries to read.

"Hey, guys! Paydirt!" He finds a chest near the bed. Inside the small chest are all sorts of leaves, herbs, and small vials, as well as two larger vials. "These two larger vials are magical!"

Paxre fights his way in through the Fenster's stench, and feeling woozy. He does make one very big gasp, different from the smaller hacking coughs of not handling the stench well. (From training, it is known that he has the weakest Fortitude in the group.) But this gasp is upon seeing the young woman. "Guys, do you know who that IS?!"

Blank stares all around, with the young woman included when she sees a little bug-man. She is too startled and yet somehow intrigued by its cuteness to scream.

"That is Hülya, daughter of Sevda. Well, Sevda - that's her mom's name. Her dad is the incredibly wealthy merchant Izz-al-Din. He's a lesser noble, but an incredibly well-known textile merchant from Katapesh who has a home in Magnimar.

"The young girl's beauty is legendary. Sorry, guys, but she's taken. She's the wife to some guy from Druma - Fathi somesuch. He's some adventurer that conned his way into the family, and brought some exotic woman to live with them. Married rich and brought a lady of his own in ... sounds shadier than me, if you'd ask.

"Listen, I say once we get out of here that we take her to her dad's house for a reward. If we can't get double the amount the mayor is offering - another 500 gp, even more - we can ransom her instead. Obviously, we'd have to work secretly first between her father's house and our group to set up finances. After that, we make a transaction of the money and then drop the other two off. Hey, the mayor will pay his part without question - good for politics in the face of the nobility; and the Avensoar likewise shouldn't bother about any other third offers.

"No one wants Fenster, so that's standard. I don't want to press our luck with the big half-orc and his church, so I think going small with just reward-or-ransom is a pretty sweet deal. She'd be worth a lot, and we'd never harm her.

"So, is that a sound plan? Natalya, I know you could help me pull this off, but what about the rest of you? When you think about it, we really haven't seen a lot of money for all of the trouble this expedition has cost in money and in lives."

Duce
2013-08-21, 04:19 PM
We're certainly not holding her or anyone for ransom. We'll take her to her father, and if he rewards us the is great. But we are not kidnappers. Now lets get then to the surface and make sure they are ok. We can come back to finish exploring this level. I know in short of arrows, and in need of rest and recovery. . To the I am Ichibod, of the Showanti, at your service.

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-21, 06:41 PM
"Well, isn't that quite the proclamation, Ichabod, sir. It sounds like a plan to me, and I kind of like the idea of getting out of here myself. Though ransom money is awfully...tempting... But, if we're not going to be so crudely practical about things, can we at least send notice to doting husband. He might be grateful, or at least feel the need to put on the airs of gratitude."

Duce
2013-08-21, 10:14 PM
I'm certainly not apposed to collecting a reward.

lostsole31
2013-08-21, 10:54 PM
Fenster is still naked, and out of his cell he carries some garish, ruddy mass of something fleshy.

"Shush now. Ol' Fenster got y' now," he whsipers.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-22, 12:17 AM
Bessel squints at the...fleshy...bundle.

"Fenster, what...is that?"

lostsole31
2013-08-22, 02:58 AM
"Once again, Paxre," says Speckled after the others. "I will assume you made a joke. Because if you didn't, that is an attempt to create a conspiracy to commit kidnapping ... of a noblewoman! Need I remind you that we are still in the Crow piling ... of the remains of the old Irespan ... in Magnimar. This means we are subject to the laws of Magnimar. We are lucky to not have too many laws, but kidnapping is definitely one on the books.

"I'm going to say this in the most direct way possible. There is a charm about you, true. You are pretty smart, but I am smarter than you can conceive. That's arrogant, or sounds like it, I know. The thing is, I'm also a lot more far-sighted than yourself. As long as I'm around, nobody is going to fall prey to your little nihilist schemes.

"Yes, I guess we should go with my first instinct and go topside. They cannot stay at Heidmarch Manor, so we should go to the Arvensoar first to find out who this third man is and to give our report."

[Bessel makes comment about Fenster's package...]

"It's miiiine," he sing-song croaks. "Mmiiiiiine. The toiny blueh laydee gave me my very own. Never thought I'd have one. Women just don't take to Ol' Fenster."

Paxre, who is steaming this whole time, breaks this new impasse by rushing forth to check out Fenster's package. "Let's just see!"

He snatches the bundle, but it is slick and goes sailing out of his hands onto the deck with a sickening splat. Paxre stares at it, vomits on himself, and then passes out. Fenster holds his hands to his temples in shock as he goes to his knees, and is about to slosh the thing back into his hands. Hulya gives a bloodcurdling scream and likewise passes out.

I'm not going to roll offline for telling what it is.

It is a small baby fetus.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-22, 09:29 AM
Bessel is sickened, but keeps his composure. He slowly walks to the....thing....and examines it for any remaining life.

lostsole31
2013-08-22, 11:51 AM
Oh, hell no. It is not fully formed and very, very small. You are nauseated, truly repelled. Flesh in preservatives in a laboratory is one thing, but this is another. Paxre makes his observation and rolls out.

Speckled throws Fenster off of the fetus like a rag doll towards Dorit. "Hold him."

"She miscarried," says Speckled after a quick examination, "likely by her trauma and torture here. And then in further sadism thrown in here and Fenster - just crazy or through some mind altering - made to think it's his own, though he's not fighting too hard right now. Are you, you sick f***? Get him bedrolled."

"Natalya, Ichibod? Torch and light, please. I need good lighting here. Ichibod, since you are a fellow physician, come down here with me and help me with post-mortem. We can't take this thing with us, so it should be done now."

Ichibod is nauseated at first, but his training helps him overcome the initial disgust. Holy F-ing wow. Both you AND Speckled get natural 20s on your Heal checks. And I assume you are using surgeon's tools to aid him with the post-mortem. Perfect time for them. With his +11 and your +7 boosted to +9 with your tools, that means 29 on your Aid (sorry, you just aren't good enough yet for a 30 at your best day with tools), giving a +3.

Speckled gets a 31, and then you pop him up to a 34.Meanwhile, Rezah's mind is totally flooded by memories or the sense of what is happening, and realizes that he has some training, and then shocks everyone with whatever Aid he may give on top, his pure knowledge being quite excellent as well.You also give a total of +3 on your Aid, boosting that total to a 37 on the final Heal check.
Speckled Antelope guides the process, please by the puissance of his fellows, including Rezah's own self-discovery.

They point out the forming eyebrows and eyelids, and that the fetus is about 10 inches long with the legs stretched out. Rubbery cartilage turned or turning to bone most of the way through. Subject was male, weighing roughly one pound. Skin is still pretty wrinkly since there is little to no baby fat.

Speckled turns to the others as he gets up. "She - unless there is or was another woman here - was in what we call her third 'trimester,' specifically 23 weeks, with a baby boy. The fetus has been dead a week. It was a miscarriage, and I definitely need to check her health before we move her.

"That, my friends, is the truest face of evil I've seen yet. Poop slung at you? Whatever. Someone trying to kill you? Happens even among supposedly good persons. Even torture? Definitely getting there. But taking a woman's miscarried baby and handing it to the barmy f***er in the cell next to her while convincing him it's his? This is pretty much the worst I have ever seen."

Paxre says, "I'll go get some of the weapons, the padded armor, and the magical buckler from base camp. I'm pretty confident that there's nothing else remaining that we've overlooked. That way, if the Big Green wants to come with us to find his stuff, he'll have some protection."

He looks up to Big Green, "Well, Big Man, I hope you have some sweet moves, because that isn't great protection. So when we return, stay in the back and shoot with the crossbow I'm also fetching."

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-22, 01:16 PM
"That's quite a bit for you to carry Pax, why don't we go with with you. Make the new guy carry his own weight, it only seems fair. In fact I insist on it, there will be some food and stuff for him there, he should see our base camp."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-22, 01:33 PM
"Shall we just bring everyone to the base camp? Perhaps a drink from that fountain upstairs would help revive the girl, as well as a..." Bessel pauses, glancing around at their grim, laboratory surroundings, "...change in scenery. I also want to peruse these notes more before we leave this place. If there's a chance that the...child was not from the girl, the mother could still be alive somewhere."

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-22, 02:57 PM
Natalya studies Bessel's face inquisitively. Not sure if she see's what she's looking for in his foreign features, she nods anyway. "I think that's an excellent idea. If you can't tell I'm ready to put some distance between myself and this room."

lostsole31
2013-08-22, 03:24 PM
Paxre nods his head. "I guess that's fair. Once again, I wasn't thinking. Besides, Dorit is the mule." :smallwink:

Speckled looks over at Natalya with the faintest smirk and a slight nod.Natalya, you catch the innuendo that he was also suspicious, and he likes the way you handled it.
The notes from all three laboratories are grabbed, not just Atlatia's.

"We'll go back to base camp, but if we're going there," Speckled says, "yes, let's fill and drink the water, but we're going to bivouac there. I am not going to have this lady be trounced all the way upstairs, and then back down, and then down the 1/2-mile sewer tunnel, and then the climb and such into the city."

He takes the Shard of Pride out from somewhere inside his robes, which seems to be in some deep pocket somewherer. He handles it somewhat absent-mindedly, "Besides, perhaps if we spend the night I might be able to hone in on the location of the next shard."

He gives a slight shrug and puts the Shard away into his coin purse, probably for easy access to it later.

NatalyaNatalya, Speckled gave you the slightest, slightest glance as he did so. Everyone else is oblivious, but you've been around the Scribe long enough that while he has often played absent-minded, he has never seemed that way. Ever. You're pretty sure that there's a hell of a lot better reason for him putting the Shard in a place that's easily pocketed.

Honestly, though, that would only be a factor .... if that was the real Shard of Pride. As he put it away, you just happened to notice something wrong with it .... it is a forgery. A brilliant one he probably had made by someone who had no clue what it was, but you happened to notice with your outstanding senses.

The question, then, is why did Speckled have a fake shard ... take it out from hiding ... and then slip it "absent-mindedly" into his purse?

A sidelong glance at Paxre answers this question when you notice that Paxre seems transfixed by the shard when it's out, and then does what he can (though not obviously so to the others) to not be staring at the purse once it's away.
"We'll go back the way we came so we have no surprises. We'll camp at the cells and post watches. We have torches there for extra light if we need."

Taking the exact path as before, just to be sure, the group goes into the derro hall and down the 10' balcony wall. Then, moving up the winding spiral case to the N-pwy. Then you go up the stairs in the big, god-awful smelling sewer room with the stairs leading up this balcony at all four cardinal directions, and each of the eight medial directions have sewer dumps in them where you fought the cave morays. Then north on that passageway, past the open utility room. You get to that big round room where there is a bridge that goes north, and takes a 90-degree angle to the west. This is the place where the singing and splashing had been heard earlier.

Rezah, a stone bridge supported by stone pillars curves through this cylindrical reservoir. A few feet below the bridge, dark water fills the room. The walls within a few feet of the water’s surface have been painted into a remarkable mural that depicts the skyline of of a large city, complete with numerous ships seeming to float on the waters of the room. The city is large, and it seems like there is a large cliff that cuts the city roughly in two. There is a high section with nicer buildings, and a lower section with everything from moderate to horrible, though this is the place from which the ships are about. There are several curious small monuments that seem somewhat out of place with the architecture of the city; something about them seems fantastic and larger-than-life. Nothing is so like that and magnificent than the ruins of a bridge. Massive pilings just up out of the water, and the magic and technology used for such a feat must have been incredible. It truly seems to be of a long-gone mystic age. The painting is very, very, very good.

There is a voice from the shadows under the bridge. "Good, good. You must have killed some or all four of the derro. But there are more dangers. I am willing to tell you of some of the dangers you'll face to the south, but I ask a favor of you. I am, or was, Captain Lockerbie Brast. I was a fisherman, captain of the Liza Jane. Our ship was attacked by lacedon ghouls. My crew was lost before I could kill the last, but I was already infected by ghoul fever. In my delirium I crashed my ship against the Crow piling."

Everyone except Rezah know that ghouls are icky dead things, though the term "lacedon" ghoul is unfamiliar. Rezah (and Speckled), you recall that you know about such creatures. In fact, you know pretty much all there is to know about the standard lacedon ghoul.Lacedon Ghoul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/ghoul/ghoul-aquatic-lacedon)
Ghouls in General (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/ghoul)
"The Liza Jane? That was the name of the sunken trawler we saw in the water when we fought those reefclaws."

Duce
2013-08-22, 04:09 PM
And what would you have in return Sir. Ghoul?

nasus
2013-08-22, 04:14 PM
Dorit scowls. "Show yourself. I have little patience left today." She draws her sword.

lostsole31
2013-08-22, 04:17 PM
"Please do not mock me when I have given you my name. At least honor me in that dignity, for little is left. I lost a valuable brooch when I sank my ship to the east of the Crow. Bring it back and show it to me. That is the least of what I could ask.

"To do my heart the greatest good, promise to take it to my wife Liza Jane. She worked as a washerwoman in Washer's Row last time I knew. Explain to her that you found the broach in the shipwreck but no sign of me. I want her to have this closure, but not to know of what horror has befallen me. If you swear to do this second, then I shall aid you against dangers to the south."

He exits the water to the south, the way you came. He is ready to jump back in the water at the first sign of attack.I'll post the picture here in a few minutes.

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-22, 04:25 PM
Rezah feels a deep, uncontrollable hatred well up at the word "ghoul". "Filthy, flesh-eating ABOMINATIONS!" he roars.

(OOC)This was intended to be a reaction to the Ghoulie Capt *story, but a few beat me to the post.

*edit

lostsole31
2013-08-22, 04:34 PM
Rezah is racing to recall what he knows, his mind filling even with discussion. But then he faces the disgusting creature and roars (as above). Holy energy courses in a burst from him, that energy just reaching Lockerbie at the outside edge. The ghoul is taken totally by surprise for 8 positive energy (PE) damage.
Time stop. No one gets to say or do anything while I set up the battle tracker.

lostsole31
2013-08-22, 05:23 PM
Marching Order, N>S:
Dorit + Paxre
Speckled + Hulya
Fenster + Rezah
Bessel + Clacky
Ichibod + Natalya

This means that the backline is actually the front line. It is a 10-foot-wide bridge, so only two persons can stand side-by-side, and everyone is considered adjacent.

R1T22:Lockerbie closes 10' and bites at Ichibod, but misses. It is assumed that Ichibod has his bow out, and Natalya has out her crossbow. Ichibod is face-to-face with it. And Natalya's fwd-R-quarter.

R1T19: Paxre surrounds himself in a strange ink of darkness and darts in front of Natalya so that the ghoul is now surrounded to front, front-R, and R. Brast bites at him as he moves into place, but he can't get at the bouncing ball of blackness.

R1T16: Ichibod, relative positions. N=Lockerbie; NE>SE=water; S=Bessel; SW=Clacky; W=Natalya; NW = Paxre. Normally, shooting at an adjacent target provokes an AOO, but Paxre did just give you an opening when Lockerbie bit at him. What do you do?

Bessel on deck, Natalya in the hole.

Rezah is the only member of the party, besides Paxre and now Ichibod, who may vocalize.

Dorit
Speckled + Hulya
Fenster + Rezah
Bessel + Clacky
Ichibod + Natalya
Lockerbie + Paxre

Duce
2013-08-22, 10:51 PM
Rezah stand down! The Captain may be of aid, and his request is reasonable! . IC steps back defensively. Initiative [roll0]

AtomicBanana
2013-08-22, 11:37 PM
Bessel shouts to Clacky, "Net the ghoul!"

He turns his voice to the half-orc. "We need his information! You can save your prejudices for later!"

lostsole31
2013-08-23, 10:37 AM
R1T17: "Big Green, stand down!" shouts Ichibod. "The Captain may be of aid, and his request is reasonable!"

Ichibod realizes that there is nowhere to make a simple step back, so he withdraws all the way to stand by the Scribe.I had to work with the desire to move away, and a withdrawal (a full round action that provokes no AOO from moving out of the first square) to a safe archer's position in the group was the best I could think of for this request.

Also, initiative was already rolled. I forgot that you and Bessel actually had the same init, so I changed yours to T17 since I already had you go.

Please put your speech in quotes. Thank you.
R1T16: Bessel shouts to Clacky, "Net the ghoul!"

He turns his voice to the half-orc. "We need his information! You can save your prejudices for later!"

Does Bessel do anything, or does he delay or ready? [This is the first time Clacky's initiative wasn't faster than Bessel's, so Clacky doesn't respond immediately on command.]

AtomicBanana
2013-08-23, 11:31 AM
Bessel holds fast, waiting to see if Clack's net can subdue Lockerbie. The ghoul's knowledge about the further dangers in the Crow, combined with the insane ramblings of Atalatia about her mistress, seem to encourage caution over rashness.

lostsole31
2013-08-23, 12:31 PM
CORR: Ichibod is in the back next to Dorit. Hulya was being helped by the Scribe.
R1T16: Bessel holds fast, waiting to see if Clack's net can subdue Lockerbie. The ghoul's knowledge about the further dangers in the Crow, combined with the insane ramblings of Atalatia about her mistress, seem to encourage caution over rashness.

R1T15.9: Natalya, what do you do?

Dorit on deck, followed by the Scribe ...

PositionsDorit + Ichibod
Speckled + Hulya
Fenster + Rezah
Bessel + Clacky
Empty + Natalya
Lockerbie + Paxre

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-23, 04:54 PM
Natalya not sure if reason or violence will win out here, decides to take a five foot step back and cast mirror image. It seems like the safe option.

nasus
2013-08-23, 09:58 PM
"Excuse me, Antelope,"Dorit will switch places with Speckled, assuming he's willing, so that she can restrain the half-Orc.

Grapple : [roll0]

My understanding is that I can trade places with a party member if they have movement left. I can edit if that is incorrect.

lostsole31
2013-08-24, 01:09 PM
R1T15.9: Natalya not sure if reason or violence will win out here, decides to take a five foot step back to cast mirror image. It seems like the safe option. She then looks at her position and realizes that a safe step would be a wet one. With nowhere else to go, Natalya once again for the day warily taps into her most powerful magic. The air in her area goes blurry as images of her doing exactly as she does shift and shimmer in and out and around and through each other, confounding anyone at trying to look right at her, as if you are seeing triple. (2 images + her = 3).

R1T15-11.9: "Excuse me, Antelope," says Dorit, and she and Speckled time it so that he backs up and guards the back end and Ichibod, and Dorit can step up to restrain the half-orc. As Speckled steps back, he pulls Hulya to the side so Dorit doesn't have to reach across her.

Jolly Green, you get grabbed from behind by Dorit in her plate armor. She only has you with one hand, but the shield helps brace and .... Zounds! she's powerful.

R1T11: "Hey, bubs!" Fenster says with a drooling snarl. "'ere's one not done in by yer rottin' stink!"

He spryly pops over Bessel and tries to grab at Lockerbie, the former's hands held in open palm but with fingers at each hand pressed together, bent at knuckles, and looks like a cross between an open palm and a claw. His bizarre grab attempt fails.

Paxre looks on amused at the street swine with a mixture of confusion, amusement, and admiration. "Tiger Style. Who knew? Then again, you just proved how ineffective it is."

R1T9: (Assuming Paxre pointed at Lockerbie, as constructs don't know from ghouls or girls, which would not have done, considering the natch '20' on its role...) Clacky fires a net from its launcher which plops perfectly onto Lockerbie.

R1T7: Jolly Green, while you were not unaware of the two behind you, they both moved with excellent teamwork, and her fantastic speed and strength have you grappled. She has you bearhugged from behind, and despite her unbelievable strength, and a mass that surprisingly exceeds your own with pure brawn, this blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty must be a terror against real enemies.Heh-heh-heh, look starting 8:43 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mydonDiho).What do you do?

PositionsSpeckled + Ichibod
Hulya + Dorit***
Empty + JollyGreen***
Bessel + Clacky
Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie + Paxre

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-24, 03:46 PM
"GET OFF OF ME, IDIOT WOMAN!" Rezah roars in a rage as he attempts to break free from the hold.

Break Grapple: [roll0]

lostsole31
2013-08-24, 08:02 PM
R1T7: "GET OFF OF ME, IDIOT WOMAN!" Rezah roars in a rage as he attempts to break free from the hold. It is an excellent effort, and still her strength holds him in place.

R1T6: Hulya stumbles away from the tustle between the two warriors to stand behind Speckled.

End Round Two, Begin Round Three ...

R2T22: Despite being netted, Lockerbie takes his claws to pull a small golden orb off of a necklace he wears wearing underneath his old studded leather armor, and he flicks it into the empty area between the ranks. It seems as if the whole bridge erupts into flame, including Lockerbie himself and Paxre.Hulya: Readied herself in case of anything that looked like an attack to dive deep into the water. No damage.
Speckled: Wanted to make sure Hulya was safe, not knowing she had mind enough for a tactic, so takes 12 fire damage. Still, despite his "geometric application of bodily form in minimizing increasing volumetric energies" not doing him much good, taking full effect is actually very light on him.
Ichibod: It seems what Ichibod was trying to learn from the Scribe didn't help him, but it is only as a result of Ichibod's lightning reflexes that he minimizes what fire damage there could have been, with his strange sorcerous resistance soaking up the rest.It occurred to me. Ichibod enjoys these fire abilities ... but he has no idea of his actual bloodline. Might be some interesting sideline stuff.Dorit: Not so lucky, as her back gets blasted for a whopping 25 fire damage.
Jolly Green: Perhaps due to his connection with the goddess of the sun, Jolly Green uses his opponent's body (Dorit) unconsciously to block him well, taking only 7 fire damage.
Bessel: Another user of bombs was completely unexpected as the ratfolk takes 14 fire damage.
Clacky: The construct is also completely oblivious of the danger, taking 20 fire damage.
Fenster: The disgusting man is whalloped as well as the blast of flame sails over Bessel's head and wreathes around his head for 25 fire damage. He is badly, badly burned.
Natalya: Despite all of her acrobatic training, this is the first time she's ever dealt with magic this powerful! She takes 21 fire damage.
Lockerbie: Entangled, the ghoul couldn't move as quickly against his own attack, and takes 20 fire damage.
* On th other hand, the net is now completely destroyed.
Paxre: Paxre sees the flames coming and he tries to draw upon ancient forgotten lore in his mystical training, but it fails to help him as he takes 20 fire damage.

Wow. All of those combatants and only 2 saves (and one dive into water).What doesn't seem promising is that it seems he has another small golden bead on that necklace of his.

R2T19: "So much for your diplomacy!" shouts Paxre, though whether he was shouting at the party or Lockerbie or all is unknown. He gives a slice with his silver katana as he goes by for a sturdy 5 damage. He disappears from sight.

R2T17: Ichibod, your resistance to fire and your adroitness saved yourself, but the entire party was devastated by fire magic beyond anything you've dealt with before. What do you do?

PositionsHulya (in water)
Speckled + Ichibod

DimGray + Dorit/ JollyGreen***
Bessel + Clacky
Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

Duce
2013-08-24, 11:40 PM
IC hits the Captain with a blast of good old Disrupt Undead.

ATK [roll0]
DMG [roll1]

And yells "Captain Brast, stand down or I'll blast you right to the demon realms!!"

lostsole31
2013-08-25, 07:53 AM
R2T17: IC hits the Captain with a blast of good old Disrupt Undead and yells "Captain Brast, stand down or I'll blast you right to the demon realms!!"

The cantrip only grazes him along the lower left jawline for 3 PE damage, equal parts necromancy, training, and magical force.The spell, PBS (which I added in, because it is a weapon-like spell), and your Havoc of the Society trait.
"Stand down?! You're the ones who started what wasn't necessary, but I will finish it!"

It is obvious that with the fire and other damage he's sustained, Lockerbie's ghoulish body is showing signs of more than just pustulated decomposition.

R2T16: Bessel, you delayed for the full round to get measure of the situation, but it's back around to you. What do you do?

Natalya on deck, The Scribe in the hole ...

PositionsHulya
Speckled + Ichibod

Bessel + Clacky
Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

AtomicBanana
2013-08-25, 10:49 AM
"YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH BOMBS, GHOUL?" Bessel roars in a surprisingly forceful voice, mixing a Precise Bomb (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/precise-bombs) on the spot and hurling it at Lockerbie.

Precise bomb designated to ignore splash damage to squares that Fenster and Natalya are in.

oh no! that's a crit fail on the bomb. stupid censor I'm swearing out loud right now.

lostsole31
2013-08-25, 03:23 PM
R2T16: "YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH BOMBS, GHOUL?" Bessel roars in a surprisingly forceful voice, mixing a Precise Bomb on the spot and hurling it at Lockerbie.

Bessel mixes the formula too quickly. The components for the formula were already too heated from the fireblast two seconds ago, and the pain from that blast numbed Bessel's nerve endings briefly. He lifts the vial above his head and slightly back, but his burned fingers don't quite measure the strength of the container well and he breaks it.

"FA-WHOOM!"It is significantly less powerful as the conflagration from the bead Lockerbie threw, but it is dangerous in its own. It is followed by a lesser flame sound and a "Zap-Pop!"Bessel: Despite critical, only 8 fire damage. But the blast of fame sets off the alchemist's fire and shatters the bottled lightning in his backpack. He takes another 5 fire and 2 electricity damage. Bessel is now in the yellow.
Dorit: 10 fire + 1 sonic. Dorit is now in the yellow.
Jolly Green: 6 fire + 1 sonic.
Clacky: 11 fire + 1 sonic . Clacky is very badly damaged.
Fenster: 11 fire + 1 sonic . Fenster drops.
Natalya: Moves so brilliantly so as to only take 1 fire. Bessel is now on fire, in the yellow, and probably squeak-screaming. Dorit is also in the yelow. Fenster screams in pain and falls. Clacky is critically damaged.

R2T15.9: Natalya, you are suffering some strong wounds, though not at yellow yet. Things just wet terribly, terribly wrong. Fenster, beside you, has fallen. Lockerbie is adjacent to you. What do you do?Not that it matters, but you may stand over a fallen body without worries about occupied space. I don't see why you would, though.
"Dorit!" cries the Scribe. "We are in the thick. Let the half-orc go!"

The Scribe is on deck, and Dorit is in the hole ... (P.S.: It is a free action to release a grapple.)

PositionsHulya
Speckled + Ichibod

Bessel + Clacky
Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-25, 07:18 PM
Natalya's mind races, she sees that other bead and she does not want him to use it. Natalya throws a tanglefoot bag at Lockerbie. And prepares to dive if he goes for the other bead.

lostsole31
2013-08-25, 09:16 PM
R2T15.9: Natalya's mind races, she sees that other bead and she does not want him to use it. Natalya goes for a tanglefoot bag, opening herself up to an attack. Lockerbie's jaws snap in, but Natalya's magic saves her as an image is taken away. That should be it, and she should be able to throw it just fine, but as she does so she is shocked by the ghoul's preternatural reflexes as he swings a claw at her hand to try to knock it away; even in that regard, such a move would open him up, but he seems to be crafty in his movements to disarm. This time, however, he simply misses, and Natalya still has one image remaining.

Natalya throws the bag at Lockerbie, which lands over him and even gets him stuck to the floor. Even that won't entirely stop him, and she gets ready to drop into the water if he goes for the other bead.

R2T12: Speckled moves forth to Bessel and readies an aid to help him put out the fire.

R2T11.9: Dorit, you are grappling Jolly Green, you are badly wounded, and Speckled asked you to let him go. What do you do?

Clacky on deck, Jolly Green in the hole ...

Positionsxxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + Dorit/ JollyGreen***
Bessel + Clacky
Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

nasus
2013-08-25, 10:50 PM
"Clearly, it's not me who's the idiot." she hisses as she roughly releases the Half-Orc, the entire situation sending her into a fury.

BARBARIAN RAAAAAGGGGEEEEEE!!!

She will push forward to stand over Fenster and deliver a shield bash on the ghoul.

SHIELD BASH: [roll0]

lostsole31
2013-08-25, 11:53 PM
R2T11.9: "Clearly, it's not me who's the idiot," Dorit hisses as she roughly releases the Half-Orc, the entire situation sending her into a fury.

She spits and gnashes her teeth on her shield in a foaming fury and bursts to stand over Fenster's body. But the movement and having to be careful over Fenster keeps her from landing her blow as the shield clacks off of Lockerbie's studded leather, even with his being entangled.Yup, even when applying barbarian rage to your shield.
R2T9: Clacky begins the self repair process for FH2. (That means fast healing 2, Tickle.) Clacky then shocks Bessel as one of its mechanical arms swings at its master with full force. Even on fire, survival instinct takes over and Bessel ducks well low of the swing. :smalleek:

R2T7: Jolly Green, you are unarmed and unarmored. There are many, many wounded on the field (one even dying, but he is a loathesome and base creature). On the other hand, the dangerous ghoul is still standing, despite damage beginning to show one him.

What do you do?

Lockerbrie Brast on deck, Paxre (wherever he is) in the hole ...

Positionsxxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + JollyGreen
Bessel + Clacky
Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-26, 12:51 AM
Rezah retrieves the sword resting at his feet. Better in his hands than potentially lost to the water or the ghoul. Then, acutely aware of the dire situation unfolding around him. Rezah closes his eyes and searches deep within himself. Rezah focuses on that fire deep inside him that had originally blasted the Ghoul. "If I am your child, Sarenrae, hear my prayers now..." Rezah utters to himself, almost inaudibly.

Channel Positive Energy Healing the Living

lostsole31
2013-08-26, 07:45 AM
R2T7: Jolly retrieves the sword resting at his feet, better in his hands than potentially lost to the water or the ghoul. Then, acutely aware of the dire situation unfolding around him. he closes his eyes and searches deep within himself. Focusing on that fire deep inside him that had originally blasted the Ghoul, he pleads, "If I am your child, Sarenrae, hear my prayers now..." Rezah utters to himself, almost inaudibly.

A blast of positive energy bursts out as before, but something is different this time. It is less dramatic, softer, and soothing. While having no effect on the ghoul, healing power courses through everyone.Bessel: 5 PE healing.
Dorit: 6 PE healing.
Fenster: 7 PE healing.
Ichibod: 7 PE healing.
Natalya: 5 PE healing.
The Scribe: 7 PE healing.
Jolly, himself: 10 PE healing.Fenster is now conscious, barely ...

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T22: Lockerbie pops off the last and smaller bead, and then goes to throw it, being wary of defense. He creates an opening and Dorit misses with her shield, and Natalya with her short sword. This time the bead erupts at Ichibod's feat. The burst of flame is strong, but not nearly like the first.Bessel: Save for 6 fire damage.
Dorit: Save for 2 fire damage.
Fenster: Saves, rolling on ground, for 10 fire damage, but stilll goes unconscious again.
Ichibod: Unharmed.
Natalya: Evades, no damage, plopping into the water next to her.
The Scribe: Evades, no damage.
Jolly, himself: Saves with divine grace for 5 fire damage.
Clacky: Fails for 12 fire damage.Bessel is still on fire. Fenster is down again. Bessel and Dorit's wounds are once again growing. Natalya jumped into the water beside her.

And Clacky? Clacky erupts and explodes with flying metal and gears, and the main hulk of the destroyed clockwork servant falls into the water. :frown:

R3T19: Paxre, surrounded again in his cloak of darkness, appears behind Lockerbie, cutting at him while flanking with Dorit. Paxre's surprise and flank inflicts 11 damage, a brutal strike that is taking a toll on the ghoul. Two claw attacks by Paxre miss. Paxre then goes invisible again.

R3T17: Ichibod, what do you do?

Bessel (on fire with Speckled ready to put him out) on deck, Natalya in the hole ...

Positions
xxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + JollyGreen
Bessel + xxxx
Dorit (Fenster) + xxxx + Natalya (in water)
Lockerbie

Duce
2013-08-26, 08:57 AM
IC yells "So be it!" while firing another blast of energy (Disrupt undead) at the Captain.

ATK [roll0]
DMG [roll1]

AtomicBanana
2013-08-26, 09:10 AM
Bessel, crazed and on fire, screams, "CLACKY, NO!"

He whirls to the ghoul, draws his pistol, and pulls the trigger.

Staring dumbfounded at his second horrible miscalculation of the last minute, and burning more and more, Bessel topples over the side of the bridge into the water after his automaton.

That's it. I quit gaming forever.

lostsole31
2013-08-26, 09:13 AM
R3T17: "So be it!" yells Ichibod while firing another blast of energy at the Captain. The target was using tactical defense and is incredibly quick, but being entangled Ichibod still hits for 5 PE damage.

R3T16: Bessel, you are currently on fire and Speckled is standing by to aid you in putting it out.

Scribe readied, Natalya on deck, Dorit in the hole ...

Positions
xxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + JollyGreen
Bessel + Clacky
Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

lostsole31
2013-08-26, 10:17 AM
R3T16: Bessel, crazed and on fire, screams, "CLACKY, NO!"

He whirls to the ghoul, draws his pistol, and pulls the trigger. Staring dumbfounded at his second horrible miscalculation of the last minute, and burning more and more. He takes 6 fire damage by not trying to put out the flame as the gunpowder erupts in his hand, destroying his pistol and causing 5 shrapnel damage. The shrapnel also blasts toward everyone else in his immediate area: Scribe (evades), Jolly (fails, 2), Dorit (fails, 5), Fenster (if alive, he takes 5), Natalya (evades).

Bessel topples over the side of the bridge into the water after his automaton. He is barely conscious, and though the fire dies out, he did a full dive into the water after Clacky.

R3T15.95: The Scribe takes out a potion, passes by Jolly, and jumps into the water after Bessel.

R3T15.9: Natalya, what do you do?

Dorit on deck, Jolly in the hole ...

Positions
xxxxx + Ichibod
xxxx + xxxx
xxxx + JollyGreen + Speckled (water)
xxxx + xxxx + Bessel (water)
Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
Lockerbie

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-26, 11:59 PM
Natalya scans the bridge looking for a good way to climb back up, not seeing anything promising she sends brief prayer to her goddess Calistria that she may bless her deception and casts ghost sound.

In a whisper like stormy winds a woman's voice echoes through the room, repeating.
"My love, my Lockerbie, have you forgotten me?"

lostsole31
2013-08-27, 03:03 AM
R3T15.9: Natalya scans the bridge looking for a good way to climb back up. Not seeing anything promising she sends a brief prayer to her goddess Calistria that she may bless her deception, and then Natalya casts ghost sound.

In a whisper like stormy winds a woman's voice echoes through the room, repeating. "My love, my Lockerbie, have you forgotten me?"

"Ha!" says Lockerbie. "Clever witch, but I know that is not she. If I had forgotten Liza Jane, I would not have asked you for these favors before your group attacked me."

R3T11.9: Dorit, you are currenty raging and flanking the entangled ghoul with Paxre. What do you do?

Jolly on deck, Lockerbie in the hole ..

Positionsxxxxx + Ichibod
xxxx + xxxx
xxxx + JollyGreen + Speckled
xxxx + xxxx + Bessel
Dorit/ Fenster + xxxx + Natalya
Lockerbie

nasus
2013-08-27, 11:04 AM
Dorit growls and goes for the shield bash again.

SHIELD BASH: [roll0]

And then draws a...rapier.

lostsole31
2013-08-27, 04:16 PM
R3T11.9: Dorit growls and goes for the shield bash again, doing 8 (min) damage. 8 damage minimum? With a d4 weapon? Whuff! Scary barbarian. A lot of the ghoul's bones are heard cracking with that impact, but being immune to pain it doesn't seem to stop.

R3T7: Jolly (face it, that's your in-team nickname now), what do you do?

Lockerbie on deck, Paxre in the hole, Ichibod's turn already figured ...

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-27, 07:58 PM
The Half-Orc tests the weight and balance of the sword, preferring his left has, as he quickly approaches the Ghoul. "Your evil stops here, Corpse!"

lostsole31
2013-08-27, 10:34 PM
R3T7: The Half-Orc tests the weight and balance of the sword, preferring his left hand, as he quickly approaches the Ghoul. "Your evil stops here, Corpse!"

He notes that the sword is of excellent make and balance. A fine sword, indeed, but something is ... lacking. As you cut, you do so with a practiced swing, and yet the weapon seems to cut with a little less finesse than you'd prefer, as if it is a little heavier than you'd like.

Still, he cleaves through the knee of the right leg as Lockerbie is stuck to the ground. Without blood spurting, it seems a little surreal, though the stench from the non-decomposing decomposition of the inside is real enough. Lockerbie slumps, backwards some but his other leg still stuck and tippling a little bit, and the head hits the stone with a resounding "CRACK!"

It looks as if he tries to say something, his right claw hand raised out to the half-orc, but the crack on the ground is too late. A sound, repeated several times in many ways throughout the ghoul's body is heard ... the sound of every bone in its body suddenly breaking and shattering, some becoming open fractures, and scores more internally. By the time he "settles," his body is more malleable and in strange positions.

Combat Ends ...

Everyone on the bridge that sees this strange effect is confused, never having dealt with such powerful undead before (the last anyone here dealt with were skeletons, relatively weak creatures). Paxre is able (w/ a nat '20') to understand what happened. "I remember this now. Ghouls aren't just hungry for living flesh out of greed, though that's definitely a factor. Their long tongues are designed to suck the marrow out the dead's bones, in addition to cracking bones with their teeth and consuming them, because their own bones and marrow are weak. It's one of the ways that they can heal like we can with sleep, though I don't know the long-term effects of being without bones and marrow.

"See? The Scribe doesn't know everything!" :smallcool:

Paxre taps Fenster with a stabilize and then checks him for good measure. "It is really hard to tell with all of the burn marks and shrapnel, but I think Lord Stinky is still alive! Can we just toss him into the drink, anyway? I don't think anyone will miss him."

"Ichibod! Take the torch and put it over or in the water to find Hulya, Speckled calls. "I'll get her after I get Bessel. Unless Jolly knows how to swim, I'm the only one after Paxre who can swim, and he can't take the weight."

Assuming Ichibod does so, he grabs the magic torch and thrusts it into the water, though that has a marked effect on light on the rest of the room, plunging it into the shadow, while Natalya and Speckled are now in practical darkness with some small amount of indirect lighting. He sees Hulya underwater, likely out of reach (though refraction makes it difficult to tell), desperately attempting to swim out of water.

Bessel, grabbing at the ranseur pole might be a good idea, but you can't manage it and you sink another 5' under the water before you are able to steady out. Even calm water is dangerous to a non-swimmer, especially when they are not especially strong and weighed down by even light armor.

"Dorit, Jolly ... help Natalya out of the water. She can't swim. Paxre, I know you can't lift her, but go into the other side, and see if you can't help Hulya up and to Ichibod. I'm tossing my ranseur up as a pole if needed, don't cut yourself. I'm going after our beloved arsonist."

As he said, his iron ranseur tosses up and clangs onto the bridge. Bessel, though in darkness, with your own ordeal under the water (especially if you help him as you are franticaly squirming while sinking), Speckled is still able to find his way to you and hold onto your with his one arm that holds the bottle. He pats the bottle at your hand. But you know that potions don't really do well underwater.

Natalya, a power-climber like yourself doesn't need any bloody help from mooks, and you easily manage to get yourself up and onto the bridge and stand up.

Now, we come down to the meat and potatoes ...

Dorit, you are raging. Do you stop raging and get to post-battle work, or are you going to go spastic on Jolly or do some other thing? (You are neutral, not chaotic like many of your kin.)

Jolly, in case Dorit does not attack you, if you do any burst healing remember that the people in the water on both sides really won't get a benefit from it because of the bridge blocking the burst, though you could stand over one side or the other. Be thinking about your post-Dorit action.

Duce
2013-08-27, 11:21 PM
IC Also casts 'Light' on a convenient object to everyone on the bridge can still see.

lostsole31
2013-08-27, 11:50 PM
That'll have to come after Dorit/ Jolly. Though combat is over, I'm still in initiative since things are prickly. If you want to do your light thing instead of the torch/Hulya thing, that's fine, too. Those on the bridge can see, but more in shadow for others on the bridge, and not at all for Speckled and Bessel.

nasus
2013-08-28, 12:54 AM
Dorit will very deliberately cease raging, forcing her eyes shut and doing a well-practiced breathing exercise. She remains this way until her fatigue passes, ignoring everyone and everything.

lostsole31
2013-08-28, 01:12 AM
With this reduction and her fatigue also come the return of her senses as she recognizes her wounds even more. She realizes then that her wounds were significantly worse than she might have realized, and she is in critical condition. Still, she meditates to get her mental and physical equilibrium back in order. It only takes a few seconds until she is right as rain.

Jolly, what do you do? If nothing specific, then general for the next few minutes ...

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-28, 01:18 AM
The Half-Orc wipes Ghoul-goo off of the longsword and onto the corpse of the recently fallen foe. He then offers the sword, hilt first, to the towering woman beside him. "I believe you dropped this."

Assuming the sword is taken, the Half-Orc then turns to offer what aid he can to fishing out those still in the water.

nasus
2013-08-28, 01:29 AM
She takes her sword back but pushes the rapier into his grasp (hilt first).

"Take this," she responds quietly, opening her eyes again. Cold blue eyes look at him for a moment before she continues, "try to control yourself until diplomacy has actually failed next time."

lostsole31
2013-08-28, 01:40 AM
Paxre rolls his eyes. "Whatever. Get a tomb, you two."

After two rounds, Bessel squeaks as Speckled tosses him up onto the bridge, and the latter kicking himself up to the edge and pulling himself the rest of the way.

On the other end, Paxre aids Hulya, Ichibod provides illumination, Jolly uses the Scribe's ranseur as requested for her to hold onto (guided by Paxre, but she does), and then pulled fully out and onto her feet by Dorit.

"Ichibod," says Speckled. "Triage time."

The first thing to note is that once again, Paxre's powers of observation failed him. Fenster is dead. Speckled figures that while he suffered massive trauma, the shrapnel shredded is already overtaxed internal organs.

Speckled says, "If you have magic water in your skins, chug it."
Bessel: 2 CLW potions. 1 CLW extract (self only). Waterskin full.
Dorit: 2 CLW potions. Waterskin full.
Ichibod: 2 CLW potions. 1 lesser restoration. Waterskin expended.
Natalya: 2 CLW potions. Waterskin full.
Paxre: as above. Waterskin expended.
Speckled: 2 CLW potions. Waterskin expended.

Sheets are updated with those that drank their magic water. Bessel is now out of the red but still well into the yellow.
The Scribe looks to Jolly. "Well, Jolly, it seems that you are a priest, a cleric, something similar, or both. What you did .. the first in hurting Lockerbie, and the second in healing us, was a powerful ability to channel holy energy, what we call positive energy. It's that energy of vitality and life.

"Do you have any more of that to go around? Paxre is tapped out of healing, and I'd prefer we didn't use expensive potions."

Jolly, do you use channel energy (or, say, some RP devide) to heal everyone? If so, a certain number of uses, or do you just keep using it until everyone is healed? Currently, Dorit and Bessel (who were critically) are still seriously wounded, and everyone else (yourself included) have from light to moderate wounds.

lostsole31
2013-08-28, 03:51 AM
Double-posting because this is a major break, and because there were so many edits on the last, Tickle might not have seen the question at the end. This is written for Jolly's sensory benefit:
60' to the westA short flight of stairs leads up to a thirty-foot-square chamber with a cistern filled with dark water taking up most of
the floor. Troughs of this dark water run east, west, and south
through hallways alongside five-foot-wide walkways (you're coming from the east). Soggy timbers have been draped over the gaps to provide unstable looking bridges over the troughs. An ornamental torch made
of onyx burns in a sconce next to this wall is there when you enter.
Stairs upwards, for a span of 100' on a slope, then 50' north at top and 30' east:Two flights of steps descend into a wide pool of murky water in this room. Pillars carved to look like coiling tentacles support the vaulted roof, rising from the pool to the north and south. You have to go into the water, which is 10' deep. Ropes are used to help everyone through, and Paxre and Speckled ties them against the pillars to make them sturdy (and the two of them remove them when they're done).
10' to double-doors on east. Step out into N-S pwy. 60'N, 20'W, 20'N (w/ pwy to W). Door. 10' square leads another 10' to E, facing door. 20' N there are pwys to E + W. Another 10' to door. Space beyond is huge E-W:A line of pillars runs down the center of this hall, between
which lie the ruined remains of what was once an immense
magical laboratory. Crumbled tables, broken stone urns, rusted
cauldrons, and ancient fragments of broken glass lie scattered
throughout. The northern wall depicts a vast mural of armies of
deformed monsters and demons gathering on the shores of a
mountainous island. Above, a woman’s face has been carved into
the mountaintop, and an immense bridge arches out from just
below this woman’s face. Below the mountain, at the end of a side
view of a tangled network of caverns, lies a vast underground
vault in which an immense monstrosity of tentacles surrounds a
central fanged mouth; within the mouth glares an angry red eye.

Stairs W going up.
Far north is 10'N, 30'E, 100'N with a 20' x 20' alcove on the E side midway up. Pwy E and W. 30'W, there are pwy N-S. Go up a set of stairs. Oddly shaped room. 20'W exit to door.A red statue of a beautiful woman stands in the center of this chamber. She looks like she was holding something, but that something is no longer there. Slime cakes the floor. Doors at all cardinal directions. Stairs going up...
60' x 30' room:This room seems to have once served as guard barracks, but the beds and other furniture here have long since crumbled into almost unrecognizable ruins. Passageway to N and E.
N pwy taken 30', small circular alcove on side, another 30' to 20'x 30' room with door on E wall. Past door:Stairs descend into the room from the north, a heavy stone door is open to the side you enter (W), and an eastern corridor exits between cells blocked by doors of rusty iron bars. Scattered about the room are a number of instruments of torture from bygone days, now mostly gone to rot and ruin. Two cages, both open. One contains a decapitated body of inexplicable nature. The head is not nearby. Paxre has Dorit proudly show their "trophies" in a sack he has her carrying. There are five heads. Two of one kind and three of another. They are freakish heads. 50'-long 10pwyE (10' wide passageway to the east) leads to a circular room that is empty save for a ten-foot-wide circular pool filled with clear water. The water appears to be only six inches deep and is crystal clear, leaving the tiled decoration of a swirling vortex plainly visible on the pool’s basin.

The Scribe explains to Jolly, "We can fill these waterskins. Once we drink from them (or from the fountain itself) it fortifies us, healing of us of lesser wounds, but also restoring mind and body against trauma not related to systemic damage. And, by the way, it is damn tasty water. The magical font keeps creating water lost. However, each person can only gain its benefits once a day, and the magic of the container is useful only one every 8 hours."Sorry, Dave, I thought it was 24, but it is actually only 8 hours. S'okay, this is a great boon anyway for adventuring.
Jolly drinks the sweet water, and if you haven't healed yourself already, you get 7 healing.

"Everyone fill their skins. I know we each enjoyed its benefits today, but we also need water for water's sake. That battle was dehydrating, especially with the heat, and the seawater for those of us whom were swimming in the brine."

Back into the torture room and up the stairs. 5pwy for 30' N. 15'x20' alcove, and then ... Three long cell block corridors extend out from a central
guardroom, each hall featuring numerous iron cell doors. A lot of cell doors, on the west, north, and south, with another passageway heading east.

"That's a spiral staircase to the catacombs of the crow," says Paxre. "But you haven't seen the way out, so stick with us."

Before heading out of the painted bridge room where Lockerbie was destroyed (his body was tossed into the water). What did you do with El Stinko Fensterio's corpse? Speckled makes the remark that it is too cumbersome to take him, nobody would pay a bounty for him, and trying to bring him to Avensoar would have them kicked out. It seems that the stink surrounding is sunk so deep that not even Natalya's prestidigitation could help. Still, while the best thing to do is "burial at sea" (a more polite term for what was done to Lockerbie, at least something could be said for him. The Scribe nominates Jolly.

[Jolly, Feel free to retcon a eulogy, or just RP confusion, but the common prayers for a common person who lived an unfortunate life begin to come to mind.]

Before that, though, Lockerbie was looted. He now has a useless and worthless necklace (lingering aura of magic), and his studded leather is magical. "The necklace," explains the Scribe, "is referred to as a necklace of fireballs, an apt description. Specifically this was a type I, the weakest, which makes me wonder what a more powerful version might be like. This one was quite powerful as it was, but now is expended and worthless.

"The studded leather, on the other hand, is quite useful. It is a basic enchanted armor, but that is helpful enough." [Studded leather +1]

The last thing captain Lockerbrie Brast had is a decorative watertight case with painting supplies inside. Bessel figures that the case is worth 100 gp, though the painting supplies are mundane.

"I'd like the case," the Scribe tells the party, as everyone knows he is the resident sketch artist. "I'm not a painter, but the case would be great for my graphite and charcoals. Instead of a 'pick' like magic, I'd like it simply to come out of my share."

Jolly, the cell blocks are what the party calls base camp. It contains a lot of various equipment.

The Scribe addresses the party and Jolly. "The lack of diplomacy, and subsequent lack intel not withstanding, the skills Jolly showed are something our group and our quest sorely need. His ability to heal with a blast, or harm undead with a blast, haven't been seen since the first of us had that ability, Forgrul rest in peace, and only half as strong as Jolly's own power.

"Our first order of business after camping here tonigt is to turn you and Hulya in to Avensoar so that they may account you as found; yes, it is money for your rescue and finding the cause of disappearances, but it is a necessary administrative task. This is paramount for Hulya, who is a non-combatant.

"After that, we don't have time for potion-making or gunsmithing or anything, sorry Bessel. There may be more prisoners, or more persons captured by this fourth derro and we need to recover and move. Sometimes we don't get a month to meander, and this is that time.

"Jolly, if you join us in ending this threat - and you've got a nice swing with a sword, too - we'll let you wear the magical armor until you find your own things. We have a silver flail, crossbows with plenty of bolts, and a dagger here at base camp (as well as padded armor) that should outfit you. Meanwhile, I ask you give Natalya her sword - Dorit was merely borrowing it. Whether or not you manage to find your things and have better armor or not, after that the magic armor will be returned to the group for resale. We are finding ourselves constantly fighting for funds for better equipment beyond the potions Bessel can make. Though we had a fantastic item that was incredibly expensive - Clacky, the clockwork servant was destroyed in that last battle. If we find those which are likely your things, I give you my word we will see to it you receive them.

"Dorit, we've seen that derro are just as vulnerable to weapons as anyone else, and the devils above were pretty much limited to that level because of the rift siphon. Besides, the rapier is more Natalya's style anyway.

"What do you say, Jolly? Everyone else, group vote if he wishes to come with us?"

"No. No. NO!" cresendos Paxre. "You're right. Guy's got skills, I'll give him props for that. But I have healing covered, as do our potions and the magic water. Sure, we are going to have days like today where we press our resources. But allow another?!? You do realize this twit ... who lost us possibly good intel .... is just another monetary 'mouth to feed,' right? I'm sure we'll have to share treasure with him like we do anybody, and that drops us from seven to eight shares. Seven persons and one party. What? Will we seek an entire mercenary company of PFS pukes to come down here and take the treasure and the glory?"

One vote for ... one vote against ... and Jolly has to decide. Of course, if Jolly says no, that means a short stay in this game for his character. :smallwink:

Duce
2013-08-28, 09:54 AM
'I'll put his lack of tact up to memory loss and general confusion. We cSn use another healer. My vote is yes. '

Duce
2013-08-28, 10:02 AM
'Also, I think we should still try and recover the locket for the Captain's wife. Aside from being a good thing to do, it could provide us s good contact for information on the docks.'

nasus
2013-08-28, 10:53 AM
"We have already recovered the brooch." She sighs and leans back against a wall, removing her helm and scrubbing her scalp with her fingers. "I think the path to recovering the shards will grow ever more perilous. It would be wise to have someone like him along. Assuming, of course, he can tolerate us 'idiot women.'"

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-28, 11:04 AM
Rezah offers the rapier to Natalya.
"I will join you, if it is deemed acceptable. I owe you a debt of gratitude for my rescue...." Rezah says slowly. "...and a debt for your lost construct," he adds with a glance towards the soaking wet ratfolk. "Gather around, I will attempt to...channel energy?" He looks questioningly at the Scribe before continuing, "...to heal us the rest of the way"

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-28, 11:06 AM
sorry for double post, I had previewed the last one for text formatting and that messes with the dice roller

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

lostsole31
2013-08-28, 01:12 PM
It takes as many as four channelings to get Dorit and Bessel back up to full.

Later, at base camp, for the vote...

The Scribe says, "Natalya? Bessel? What say you about Jolly joining? Only one more 'yeah' and he's in."

AtomicBanana
2013-08-29, 09:11 AM
"Can he can keep his prejudices under control, in the next situation like this? Lockerbie was not a threat until you made him into one, green. And your rashness dragged us into a battle that was disadvantageous, and cost us dearly."

Bessel retreats further into his hood, his fur dripping dark water onto the stones in front of him.

"Not that I gave a satisfactory account of myself, if we are being forthright.

...I abstain."

lostsole31
2013-08-29, 11:27 AM
The Scribe says, "Well, with that abstention, unless Natalya gives a fantastic reason otherwise .... Congratulations, Jolly Green, we'll outfit you for war - well, skirmish line at least - and you can have a little of your own back at Evil while finding your gear if it's still there."

He looks around. "It's been a brutal, harrowing, but in freeing and keeping two of the prisoners alive, successful day. I've thought about it. Everyone down. We'll keep the torch at the end of the hall and Ichibod and Paxre will have a light stone each spread along the cells. Everyone, as usual stay on one cell's side. Bessel, you will be in Hulya's cell to keep her company on the very far end, where the torch-sconce is. But being your size and relatively inoffensive might ease her. Besides, Bessel, I know that no matter what I say you'll still be staying up later than you should to look over those notes; one scholar to another, I get it..

"Dorit and Ichibod in the same cell at the end of the hall towards the intersection just in case trouble comes, she can protect us while we ready for battle, and Ichibod might sense the danger.

"Jolly, put on the magic armor - you'll sleep fine in it, take this crossbow (preloaded with a normal bolt) and this case (normal, cold iron, and silver), and this flail and dagger for weaponry. I want you in the cell immediately back from those two. You would be second line.

Then we would have Natalya, and finally myself.

Paxre, you have the first watch. Then Ichibod, followed by Dorit, and myself. The rest of you have off tonight."

TickleMeTemplar
2013-08-29, 11:55 AM
"Ghouls exist only to defile the living, unfinished business aside. You will thank me tomorrow when the dearly departed Captain is NOT picking your fur from his teeth."

Rezah accepts the equipment. He slides the dagger into his boot, fastens the bolt quiver to his right hip and tests the flail's chain for freedom of movement. Appearing satisfied, he folds it flat against itself and clasps it in both hands in front of himself as he lies down to sleep.

nasus
2013-08-29, 12:03 PM
Dorit nods and takes her leave to get what shut-eye she can before her watch.

Duce
2013-08-29, 01:02 PM
Ichibod also settles in till his watch.

AtomicBanana
2013-08-29, 01:08 PM
Bessel shakes his head and departs to a corner, where he tries to take stock of his surviving alchemical supplies.

lostsole31
2013-08-29, 09:53 PM
BesselAtlatia took a less invasive approach to her researches than her rivals — she believed that the key to defeating the killing rays of the sun lies in the minds of those who live on the surface. She used a wand of charm person (now held by the Scribe) and noninvasive (but nonetheless painful) surgical torture to break the minds of her victims, then subjected them to extensive interrogations and thought-expanding injections of various drugs and toxins to try to navigate the pathways of the surface-dwelling mind. Alas, her own madness meant her interrogations followed a recursive pattern that frequently drove her victims permanently mad, having forced her to replace her subjects with new ones.
It seems that there are two factors the party should consider as the party beds down: first, the Scribe is a hypocrite about sleeping right away; second, that Natalya didn't go to sleep right away, either.

First, there is heard the muffled noise - muffled, mind you - of a young man and woman giggling softly together. After a few minutes of silence (minus the occasional kissing noises), there comes more ... noise. It isn't loud at all. Speckled and Natalya are obviously trying to keep it down so as not to wake everyone. For the most part they do well, but there is the little chirp here or there that let's loose. Of course, not that there is much time to analyze. It only lasts two or so minutes. A little louder, but still trying not to be noisy, Natalya's voice is heard. "Wow. You were a virgin?"

Everyone heard what was going on. Even the soft virgin comment, was understood. It is what it is, and folks sleep quickly enough. Even Bessel slumps at the mad scrawlings. The soft (or loud, in the case of Jolly) snoring of sleepers drifts through the halls.

Meanwhile, Ichibod is in his cell hearing this with weapon at the ready. Who knows how the infatuated youth will take this? :smallamused:

(Some time later...)

"Ichibod!!" The Scribe yells, sounding a signal.

R2T28: Speckled (both of them) point a wand at Paxre, but he just can't seem to get it to work. Natalya remembers that the only wand The Scribe has is the charm person one that was taken from the female derro.

Paxre mocks him, saying "Ha! I was ready for it. I knew what it was as soon as you pulled it out."

R2T21: "You're not getting away!" she yells at Paxre. "I worked too hard at this."

What does Natalya actually do?

Duce
2013-08-30, 08:33 AM
Ichibod lunges to his feet, screaming unintelligible to all (aside from Speck) Die you evil bug!Shoanti war cry, allowing the silver arrows in his lap to fall, clattering to the floor as he snatches and fires two (regular0 arrows form the quiver he had re-slung over his shoulder at Paxre.

(RS W/in 30' (Point Blank))
Shot 1:
ATK [roll0]
DMG [roll1]

Shot 2:
ATK [roll2]
DMG [roll3]

lostsole31
2013-08-30, 10:02 AM
Natalya, it's your turn (before Ichibod). What do you do?

TheCyberwoman
2013-08-30, 06:34 PM
Natalya wants Paxre to hurt, she casts magic missile.[roll0]

lostsole31
2013-08-31, 07:46 AM
R2T21: Natalya wants Paxre to hurt, so she casts magic missile for 7 force damage.Each missile does 1d4+1, which means two missiles at the same target do 2d4+2. Once you get some sleep and rest, you'll pop up to 5th level. And that means THREE missiles. If you blot them all at one target, that means 3d4+3 (an average of 11 damage).
R2T17: Paxre reflexively tries to block what he can't as he takes the arcane bolts in his forearm and chest. He's not sure which Speckled is real, but it seems the one in the hallway is the real threat, so he tries to acrobatically duck under his legs while drawing his katana. It isn't acrobatic enough as the real Scribe tries for a double fist-punch. Now, though, it's the Scribe who is even less acrobatic as he falls over the bedroll and whacks his head, stunning himself and prone.

Despite the easy target, Paxre has a rare insight of wisdom that standing around for revenge will only bring more enemies. He continues down the hallway, and zooms past Ichibod's cell.

R2T16: Ichibod lunges to his feet, and yells something in a language no PC understands, but that all recognize as Shoanti. Yes, even Jolly seems to remember something about the barbarians that live in the plains and mountains of a lawless, backwood frontier called Varisia.

He allows the silver arrows in his lap to fall, clattering to the floor as he snatches two arrows from the quiver he had re-slung over his back. He gets on his feet, takes a 5' step to the hall, and sees Paxre in the intersection to the cells. Though he has another arrow ready, he only gets the time to shoot one but it flies true and slices past Paxre's neck for 6 damage.You only got to shoot one arrow, because more than one attack is a FAA, not a SA.
MA: Stand.
5' free move to step out into the hall (the assumption was, for this to utilize you to best effect, for you to be right by the edge of your cell's open door.
SA: Shoot one arrow. Still a hit's a hit, and Paxre - especially now with his cloak of darknesss, is a good thing.As your hunter senses make you sense everything around, you see the Scribe just outside of his cell looking into it.

Everybody awakens to the sound of battle.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T28: The universe sought its balance with Critilope, and he is stunned and writhing on the ground, holding his head with both hands.

R3T21: Natalya, what do you? Paxre is out of the cell and went down the hallway towards the intersection. You would have to move 10' to get into the hallway.

Paxre on deck, and Ichibod in the hole.

Duce
2013-08-31, 08:38 AM
For Ichibod's turn he will move to maintain a 30 foot distance from Paxre and use Rapid Shot again.
ATK 1
DMG [roll1]
ATK 2 [roll]1d20+10
DMG 1d6+2

Duce
2013-08-31, 08:41 AM
Repost as 2nd attk did not calculate in last:
ATK 2 [roll0]
DMG [roll1]

lostsole31
2013-09-03, 02:46 PM
R3T21: When Speckled Antelope and Ichibod defeated her and took the Shard of Pride, it was a mixed blessing. Shew knew its power, but she knew its curse as well. Under the influence of the Shard, she used a spell she used to use commonly with men and to get her way past guards (but only rarely): charm person. She had managed to charm a small enclave of sewer goblins to do her bidding as her 'honor guard.' And this is how she would take over Magnimar's underworld, rise up to the surface and take the city, then Varisia, then the continent of Avistan, and later ... the world. Yeah, right.

As a worshiper of Calistria, using a well-timed, well-placed charm would be nothing if she thought she could get away with it. But since that time she hadn't used that spell; not really, anyway. She couldn't put her finger on it before, but it slowly dawned on her recently that when pride falls, what is left is shame. Charm person was her most powerful attack spell; magic missile is more of a sting -- a deadly sting -- but a sting compared to other magics of its type. And why bludgeon an enemy when you don't have to make him your enemy?

She stepped into the hallway, directly through the illusion and 25' down the hall. She already remembered the battle training the group had undergone. Paxre was far too agile to be affected by her grease, but his mind proved weak again and again.

"Paxre," she addresses as she approached (10' behind Ichibod, 20' from Paxre), and then casts her spell. "The Scribe played this ruse. What you have is a forgery. The purses' theft gained you nothing but whatever he put into it. Just because you have been caught as a thief ... we've been through too much to kill you.

"Give us your solemn vow that you will never attempt to kill, harm, obstruct or in any way interfere or compete with the lives of those in our group and the quest we undertake for the Shard or the Star of Sihedron and any of those shards, nor shall you incite others to do the same. Swear it, or there is little I can do to help you."Paxre rolled a '2' on his save! :smallwink:
Paxre has tears welling in the big, oblong black pools that are his eyes. "I swear to this, and my curse as an oracle is that any oath sworn must be obeyed to my death; but this oath is broken if any of you in turn try - in any way whatsoever - to interfere with anything else I undergo just because you might not 'like' it.

"You of all people should understand what is happening here. Be careful of your lover, Natalya. He tried to give the Shard to someone he 'deemed most appropriate,' but Bessel and the group gave it back to him. He tried to name Ichibod as leader, but he and the group gave the Scribe (stupid name) leadership. What else will he give to himself through false humility."

"One more thing," he whispers to Natalya and Ichibod (as best he can with the distance), "but it must be the two of you you who discover this. Uncle gave me a powerful scroll to see past all veils and hidden mysteries. I read it while watching the Scribe work on his Green Peak Style. Get yourself a scroll of [I]true seeing and you will see what I have seen. He can be called the Scribe because Speckled Antelope is a Shoanti name, but you will see he is not Shoanti, Varisian, or Taldane. He is something else whose entire race served the very creatures that serve the darkness that gives me powers, power that comes from the Dark Tapestry and the horrors between the worlds in blackness endless.

"Beware what you give the Scribe. He is tragic, he is disciplined, he is even funny. But he is a walking lie whose existence is an affront to the gods. I know why he is as powerful as he is, and power wants more. Beware."

And with that, Paxre disappears around the corner. He is as fast as anyone in the group, and Ichibod knows that the little guy can cover 60' in a burst, he has a headstart, knows the terrain, and with having to try to track or take the time to pick up or cast light on something, Ichibod would only fall further behind.

Ichibod, do you accept the bargain as such, or do you go racing after him for blood? Your original intention of shooting him is disrupted by his leaving LOS. And by the time you would have to cast or pick up light, he would be past the next hallway and out of reach of an arrow, let alone the sight to see him. And gods forbid he knows his peril and comes in and out of the darkness, unseen even in the light as you've witness before nearly bleeding out.
Ichibod, with favored terrain (dungeon) = Batman
Paxre, ninja/ oracle of dark tapestry = Bane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F157geaXp_w
For Natalya, who was so close to trying to kill him, realizes that ruse was her way to at last enjoy why her goddess is known as the Savored Sting. Now it is Paxre who will live in shame. And if there is truth in his having sworn this oath, there is nothing he can ever do about it. Now that is her own greatest sting yet, and far better than a magic missile.:amused:

Duce
2013-09-03, 10:58 PM
Ichibod nods to Natalia as lowers his bow. While glancing side long at Speckled.

lostsole31
2013-09-04, 03:01 AM
Folks, I am going to do a plot-burn, a fast-forward, if you will. Again, use the Interactive site for conversation of a general nature, but the DM here is chomping to move forward. Also, there are a LOT of grammar/ spelling errors as I read in review, but I am too lazy to correct them.
Ichibod, after a few seconds, Speckled disappears from view. I don't mean walks into his cell kinda' disappears from view, but suddenly - as if teleporting or using invisibility without any kind of concentration whatsoever.

Even more confusing is you see Speckled emerge about 15 seconds later, but without his ranseur as he was holding. And instead of looking "battle ready" he stumbles out of the cell, practically falling over. About the same time, the rest of the party is probably coming out of their cells as well.

What People heard.
Bessel, you are still asleep, having fatigued yourself reading Atlatia's ramblings longer than you should have.

Jolly, you awoke to battle, and some shouting, but not sure what what was said.

Dorit, you woke up quickly enough to not only hear battle, but both the primary conversation AND the whispered conversation. :smalleek: Hulya is the one to waken Bessel, as she sits in fear in the cell. She points him outside where the others are standing. Ichibod has his bow out. The cell Natalya and Speckled shared is in shambles; that might be explainable for what you heard of the evening's activities between them, but you walk out and already sense something is not right. And that is when you notice Paxre has gone missing.

It is Natalya's turn to proudly give the "Big Reveal," not Speckled Antelope's. An idea was formed (she leaves out the "who thought of it") to catch Paxre in the act of trying to steal the Shard of Pride. She caught onto the fact that Speckled was silently baiting Paxre into stealing the Shard, guessing that the dark warrior would make a grab at it at some point. He brought out a forgery he had someone make of the original - a very good one - and placed it conspicuously in his belt pouch so that it would be easier to steal. Natalya's very keen senses actually noted it was a forgery without having to touch it, just seeing it.

They made a plan together that would have them in the same cell, with Speckled nearer to the entrance, and "sleeping" with his pouch sort of flopped on the floor, attached to his belt. Sure enough, later in his watch when everyone else was asleep - except for Ichibod, who was told to be alert and ready with his bow - Paxre crept into the cell where Natalya and the Scribe lay. They caught him bug-handed, but not before Paxre's incredibly light touch managed to take the pouch. Speckled used the Shard's power to create a very powerful illusion (more powerful magic than anyone else in the group has, at least) wherein a more battle-ready Scribe with ranseur blocked the entrance to the cell, giving Natalya and the real Scribe (himself acting falsely as if he were the illusion instead, creating more danger outside the cell).

Well, the Scribe took a tumble and hit his head on the floor, probably signaling that the other was the double, and Natalya blasted him with magic missile. As Paxre raced into the hallway, Ichibod clipped him with an arrow. While the Scribe was insensate (he doesn't hide the fact, and uses self-deprecating humor to make it funny), Natalya struck on the brilliant idea of charming the little rat (er, bugger ... sorry, Bessel) owing to his dim wits. He'd be too touch to take down fully with a free volley of spell and arrow, and he'd still get away, she figures. She doesn't mention the shame aspect of herself, just that it would be a sweet victory for him to carry the humiliation of this betrayal until such time as the conniving bastard tries again ... at which time, hopefully the hole group might be more aware and awake.

The Scribe, however, mentions that she must have "intuitively" (this is the best way he knows of denying that there is "luck" in this regard) known a flaw that he now expounds upon. "All oracles tap into strange forces and see things even no cleric can see, but this power comes at a cost, often called an oracle's curse. He channeled and tapped into the power of a truly horrific place in the cosmos, and yet so terrifying to also be outside of the universe as well. That is the Dark Tapestry, where primal chaos and evil far beyond the Abyss lie, and it is there beings of unbelievable power hope that cultists will find a way to be brought into our world to unmake all that exists, in a glut of endless blood and slaughter.

"While most oracles tend to call on primal forces, Paxre did the same but favored Azathoth, the Idiot God. This particular Great Old One - for that is what the term of the most powerful are - is about the unmaking of the entire universe, without regard to malice or bloodshed, but worse in mindless entropy. The only way Paxre was able to channel this energy in his mortal body, and still keep to the restrictions that led to his training as what is called a ninja (for that is also what he was, a person whom is skilled at subterfuge, sabotage, and assassination), required him to be incredibly ordered as well. Thus, his oracle's curse is that any vow, oath, promise, covenant, or contract he agrees to must be observed to the absolute degree."

Speckled will also mention that he expected Paxre to be skillful enough to steal the purse before the counter-response. So, he left Paxre what he calls "severance pay" in the pouch. He mentions a handful of silver coins, something that Paxre might understand with his background.

Ichibod, Jolly, NatalyaHe mentions 30 silver pieces. The reference is lost on Bessel and Dorit. In ancient times in a faraway land, a great cleric with revolutionary ideas was killed - whether by politics or internicine religious issues is unknown is unremembered. Clerics of the older order paid a very close cohort of this cleric a mere 30 pieces of silver to betray the prophet to authorities as a political dissident.

"30 pieces of silver" refers to any payment (not necessarily that amount, mind you) given to a traitor. A saying might be, "I wonder what he got for his '30 pieces of silver.'"
Sorry, guys, it was too good of a slam to pass up, and still being neutral on modern religious sensibilities in its regard. And, yes, I actually did remove that amount and his pouch from his sheet. :smalltongue:
JollyThe great cleric was actually a dwarf that hailed from a land callled Druma, or the Five Kingdoms, you're not sure which ... nor do you know where these lands are.

No one one actually mentioned what the Shard of Pride is, but it obviously sounds important ... important enough for a party member to betray and attempt to steal it, at least, and it is in the Scribe's possession.

What is it? Secondly, this is the first time in conversation (iirc) that the party members would call him Speckled. If asked, his name is Speckled Antelope - a Shoanti name. You now remember what Shoanti is ... it is a type of peoples that mainly inhabit the west and northwestern part of Varisia. They are a savage people made up of many warring tribes that just as often trade with the outside, stick to themselves, or raid against the more civilized. Once you remember that, you now see that Ichibod is one of their type. Ichibod makes sense, looking like a rustic hunter-sorcerer. But the Scribe (you first knew him by that name, and so it is likely that is what will be in your mind for awhile), a savage as a scholar, and having gone through some long training process? Perhaps it makes sense why he didn't have the ability to cast spells, though that doesn't explain Ichibod, whose affinity for fire is an enigma. And if the Scribe can't cast spells, what the hell can he do? He is brilliant, wise, and forceful, as you have seen, and a solid scholar as you are finding out ... but such persons are weak men better left at home without spells of healing or power to aid them.

People are no less tired than they were before, and watches are reset, though Paxre's light stone that he left behind will flicker out at some point, leaving the everburning torch and Ichibod's light.

lostsole31
2013-09-04, 03:50 PM
And the plotter-naut rolls inexorably forward...
SARENITH 22: The party awakens, and it is suggested to take the more expensive things topside. The waterskins are also filled with magical water just in case something happens in town. When asked about the sinspawn and fleshdreg heads - for Paxre never had a chance to take them with him - Speckled mentions that taking it to Sheila (yuck!) might be a useful bounty to the Pathfinder Society. Also, instead of traipsing through the sewers, there is now another man-sized person who can help row, so taking the rowboats back is far more pleasant and desired.
JollyThe Pathfinder Society is some sort of adventurer's guild or the like. Mainly trouble-seekers and meddlers, often going places where they are not invited. Then again, these trouble-seekers went deep into an ancient place, and meddled with evil creatures that tortured you. And for that you at least owe them the flail they've lent you cheerfully in service rather than just seeking your own gain of memories and equipment.

The Sun, something that was a vague essence in your memory, makes you weep. You give yourself over to her warm rays, praying to this Sarenrae and drinking in her blessings in return. After an hour of this rapturous experience, your mind is flooded with words and symbols and actions of power. You now have access to all of your spells, and you know your limits on channel energy, your honor bound and rebuke death powers, lay on hands, and smite evil.
Natalya VancaskerkinYou are beginning to see how this quest is helping you increase your own power. In the short two months you've been with them, your magical power has increased exponentially. You are even finding that the extreme conditions under which your skills have been tested - moreso than simply being a second-story - have really paid off as you test your athletic skills.

If you end up taking TWF, then sparring with Dorit - though she is stronger than you are fast and much more practiced in combat - becomes an interesting and almost beautiful dance as you get the knack of it.
Dorit War-BearYou find in your weapons form, and with a good night's rest, that your stamina has increased in every way, and you are even more confident in your battle form. Your swings with your longsword are steady and measured, but you can really lop in for some more powerful strikes.With your increased ability to put power behind your swings, it's probably time to give the mithral rapier back to Natalya. You can respect the weapon for its ability to give grievous wounds under the right conditions, but it just doesn't compare to a good old-fashioned Irrisen broadsword (longsword in your homeland's style). Besides, you are sure you looked ridiculous in heavy plate and shield ... and wielding a rapier. And your younger peer (you are 20 to Natalya's 17) could use what help she can get.

Also, your Power Attack increased!

P.S.: 25-frickin' AC!
Bessel, when you go through your equipment, you realize that the noqual key that wound Clacky was slagged. Clacky still probably went berserk on you since you attacked it, but the loss of the key means you wouldn't have been able to wind him up again, anyway. (And yes, "slagged" means destroyed per game terms. You can't sell the noqual remains or make use of it, but for RP the bits of it can go to your lab for study.)
It is a beautiful day overhead, and the bay laps against the boats gently as you notice a storm out to the west. Still, with the sun above and the storm's surreal beauty out there, it is a picturesque scene.

The first order of business is hiring two hacks for the group to go to the Arvensoar to check in with the rescued (2 gp, because you guys are rich). Watch Officer Kasadei is relieved that the mystery behind the disappearances has been solved. It makes sense that the guard would be unable to track down citizens kidnapped by monsters under the sewers. As promised, a chest of 1000 gp will be sent with you by carriage to Hleidmarch Manor (updated on party sheet).

After checking the records, it is unknown how many persons might still be imprisoned by the derro (once such creatures are described to Kasadei), and how many missing persons cases on file are unrelated. The constabulary thinks that Fester's death is a strange end for a criminal they had hoped to catch. They are a little unsure what to make of Jolly, though he seems like a fine and honorable fellow whose people will be glad of his return; then again, his amnesia soon becomes apparent. However, Hülya, wife of Fathi (and daughter of Sevya of House al-Din), is definitely a high-profile return. The group (including Jolly) is immediately sent to the road going to the upper cliff face to a higher-office municipal building.

The group is ushered through a back entrance into a well-appointed office. A noblewoman, Ingild Verarold, is introduced. Several higher ups escort the shocked and now very disoriented Hülya away, and there are many other persons there that seem to take an interested silence, some sitting with pen and quill.

Lady Ingild addresses the group: "Before you made it from the Avensoar up to here, I was already contacted that the Lord-Mayor's Office had contacted some of your members at Heidmarch Manor for a reward for each victim returned. We would not have rewarded you for the likes of the criminal you supposedly freed that subsequently died (and was not returned, anyway), but you have freed this obviously religious half-orc, and However, Hülya, wife of Fathi and of House al-Din, is an entirely different matter. Regarding her, you will get a double-share reward, which should compensate if you do have any misgivings concerning some criminal's final reward. This means that you shall receive 150 platinum coins from the treasury. I am to understand that you received a hundred's worth from Avensoar from a municipal pool of money put together by wealthier folk that wanted piece of mind, but we do not begrudge that. You have earned what profit you have eked.

"I know that the original deal was for discretion, but seeing what has occurred we ask for that again for different reasons. Originally, the Lord-Mayor had more personal interests in mind, but this time we were taken by surprise. House al-Din, whose patriarch runs one of the wealthiest textile trade businesses on the Inner Sea, well his daughter married an officer of some means and they run al-Din Textiles for Varisia out of Magnimar. That would be Izz al-Din's daughter Hülya and her husband Fathi, both of whom are welcome fixtures at noble affairs and events. Hülya, in particular, is one of the best known foreign courtiers and hostesses.

"We were told that she was visiting her father in Kerse for awhile. We now see that this is not true, and may explain why Fathi's business has been handled by Lilim (we are guessing she is his major domo) directly from out of the house. Fathi, himself, has been little seen.

"We ask that you reveal nothing regarding having found Hülya to the public, which will keep relations cordial between Magnimar and Druma politically, as well as for House al-Din specifically. Our office cannot recognize any higher retainer than what was agreed upon. 1500 gold is an incredible sum. However, in addition to wealth, Drumish people are known to have long memories for deeds of gratitude, and are people known for repaying favors."
150 platinum likewise added to the pot! In addition, a pretty hefty XP award has been given for solving the mystery of both the prisoners and for that of rescuing Hülya, specifically, and keeping her alive.

lostsole31
2013-09-07, 01:36 PM
The party is given transport back to Heidmarch Manor for some R&R for the day and to recover for what is likely to be tomorrow's push in looking for more prisoners in the Crow.

In the chest in Atlatia's chambers there were found to be many odd plant substances and vials.

Ichibod's detect magic notes two vials that are magic. He can't read the first aura, but the second holds a faint aura of enchantment. Once Ichibod points them out, The Scribe is able to determine that they are an Elixir of love (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-lovehttp://) and an
Elixir of truth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-truth).

With some work in the lab, Bessel determines the following about the remaining mundane substances:
3 doses of id moss (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison/id-moss) (poison)
2 doses of striped toadstool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison/striped-toadstool) (poison)
10 doses of flayleaf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/drugs/flayleaf) (drug)
and, 8 doses of pesh (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/drugs/pesh) (drug).

As Bessel works in the lab in the cottage, the group is with Sheila and Canayven giving a debriefing of their adventures and Paxre's betrayal.

Jolly, Sheila is a tall, regal-looking woman. She is beautiful (I have a picture), and yet has a distinctively deep voice (as far as women go). Not husky, but deeper. You were invited to come along as a guest to a large Manor and grounds from which the group is based and supported.

"I think, as soon as we can get gentle repose cast upon the heads, we can compensate your group for some of what Paxre had offered. I think it is better that we study it than to deal with whatever shadowy agent he knew. Though normally the Society wouldn't pay this much for something that surely is held on site elsewhere, at least this offers study options for other Pathfinders. Besides, we figure that it is time to begin rewarding you for your efforts. We wanted you to prove yourselves first. The group will receive 500 gold pieces, to be divided as you see fit."That, and story XP!
Her eyes rest on the half-orc, "Jolly, for that is what I am told you are called in lieu of your memories for what the derro did to you, I appreciate your being willing to return to wreak retribution against your former captors and to free others."

She looks back to the group as a whole. "It is commendable that all of you are willing to go back for the heroic aspect. I don't know what the fourth derro has at their command, but I urge you to remember why you're in the Crow in the first place. Helping Natalya rid the world of the Tower Girls was merely payment for her aid while a way she could clear herself. You went there because one of you holds an incredible artifact that is 10,000 years old, itself a piece of an even greater artifact. Don't let secular concerns take you too far afield.

"We have lost so many lives in so short a time. Forgrul, Didd, Chiban, and so on ... but the very nature of chasing artifacts can be a fool's quest, a misfortunate's death, or a hero's undying legacy. Now ...."

...and Sheila is interrupted as a magnificent golden eagle flies into the parlor from the open doors (and double-windows overlooking the garden that were open). There is something truly regal about this bird, beyond the fact that eagles are stately to begin with. There is a sheen to its feathers wherein the brown feathers have the faintest golden tint ("golden eagle?"), and its eyes seem to have a glimmer of intelligence. The eagle glides over to Ichibod to land on a table with a clack of talons. It looks around the room, but seems to have a purposeful look at Ichibod and it clacks its right talon several times so the ranger can see that there is a small message with twine on its leg.

"Fascinating," mutters the Scribe to himself, and then aloud, "it is a celestial eagle."

lostsole31
2013-09-08, 07:39 AM
For clarification, it's after the meal for the debrief. Bessel received "lab fuel" before going there.

As Ichibod contemplates how to best make the bird welcome, it clatters the small table at Ichibod's side with the talon again. It's the talon with the message tied to its leg. Clatter..clatter again.

"Well?" says Sir Canayven, more annoyed at the intrusion and noise than feeling any kind of blessing. "What does it say, man?!"

Duce
2013-09-08, 08:13 AM
Ichibod says "Grating Noble Eagle, and welcome. Please allow me to retrieve the message from your leg" he then reaches for the message, gently detaching it and starts to read....

lostsole31
2013-09-08, 04:22 PM
As Ichibod goes for the message, his intimacy for the wild is such that he does so with the proper care: neither too aggressively, nor giving up a sign of authority through too much passivity. He carefully undoes the twine and retrieves the tiny scroll. As soon as he backs up to read it, the eagle erupts into a flurry of wings and flaps about the room and heads out.

The parchment is very cleverly folded to be small enough to put on an eagle's legs. (Mind you, though, eagles are a lot bigger than pigeons, so the message attached can be larger.) It is a beautiful fold style, and as the initial outer square of the bend is undone the parchment slowly pops up to that of a swan. Still, the swan is not the message, and the unfolding continues. Ichibod reads the message (aloud, I assume):

To All Whom See These Presents, Greetings!

My Master, Fathi, son of Egemen, he who is the Spark of Warriors; Thrust of the Sun; Strange Lion to his enemies; and the Metallic Passage, seeks the prestige of your company most high at a brunch in the early morning of Sarenith 23rd, to be held in your honour, for the safe return of Hülya, wife of Fathi, Jewel's Crown to his Heart and Stream's Healing.

Know well that My Mistress' Mind and Heart have found refuge and healing with the most excellent ministrations of clerics of Kalistrade, without whom this world would know chaos. Through her wise counsel Master Fathi understands your intention to pierce the darkness of the Crow once again and to wreak retribution against the infidel derros whose cruel rituals have brought death and ruin against the minds and bodies of those other than his most radiant wife. To this glorious beginning, for to call it an end would be to curse your heroic endeavour, your bellies shall be filled without slowing with foods delicate to the palate, yet fiery to the temperament, fitting for battle, and yet reminding you of what material joys exist in this life so you do not find yourself wishing to leave it if pressed by evil most dire.

This invitation is exclusively extended to Ichibod, Spirit-Arrow of the Shoanti; the Jovial Warrior of Sarenrae; Bessel the Brilliant, unassuming Bombardier; Dorit War-Bear, whose very name needs no title for fear of reduction; and your own hosts the honorable Lord and Lady Heidmarch, to include their Scribe Most Knowledgeable.

It is understood that while your hosts are nobles and are expected to be able to outfit themselves, the rest of your group - even with the wealth extracted from ancient treasures - possibly have not had the time for purchase of apparel beyond the uniform of those who serve the gods. Within an half-hour's chime of when My Lady's messenger has been sent to you, a carriage full of tailors and materials shall be sent to you that you may provide humble dressing for your exalted persons. The one overseeing this evolution will accompany them and shall provide you with what knowledge you may need to feel at home in House al-Din.

It is my fervent prayer that you accept this invitation to illuminate my Lady's eyes with tears of gratitude.

- Anaximander, Joyous Servant Eternal to House al-Din
"Well," says Sheila, "perhaps someone should get Bessel from the lab."

She instructs a servant to do just that.

"Most Knowledgeable, hmm?" muses the Scribe. "I actually like the titles .... Spirit-Warrior." :smallbiggrin:

"Though it hasn't been lost on me that Natalya wasn't invited. I don't think, hearing the mention of 'exclusively extended,' that this was an oversight. Natalya, I think Watch Officer Kasadei looked the other way when you came to Arvensoar, but that might have been a one-time deal. You are still a criminal on the books in Magnimar. We are in prickly water here. We dare not offend House al-Din by not showing for Natalya's sake, for that would bring disgrace on Lady Sheila's house here - a shame that would resound throughout the rest of the nobility in Magnimar. On the other hand, to bring Natalya could have much worse repercussions. It's one thing to refuse the honor, but another entirely to bring someone of Natalya's background to their house, and we don't know if there will be any other guests."

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-09, 02:24 AM
"I did just as much to save his wife as any one here. More, than some, if you consider my time with this party and on this mission! He dishonors himself as much as me to consider status above deed when it comes to the life of his lady! Go to his fancy little party if you choose, put on whatever poncy frocks he likes, but don't be surprised if he shows you similar dishonor. Don't worry about my feelings on your ways, it's not like I ever hoped you all might actually think of me as a team mate, it's just business."

With that Natalya proudly straightens herself, pivots and determinedly walks out of the room.

lostsole31
2013-09-09, 03:44 AM
Bessel is already probably coming in as Natalya is storming out in a manner that is best not for the young ratfolk to impede.

Speckled sighs and bangs the back of his head against the chair a few times. "Someone speak to her, please. It is business, but that doesn't preclude the fact she is a member of the team whose sure-footedness and senses are a lynchpin to this motley group of Society and non-Society fellows.

"Still, I'd wait a half-hour before chasing her down. Ichibod, you strike me as the perfect man for that job. The three of us are the last 'old guard,' if you will, and with that spell duel you had when we first met Natalya, I am sure she admires your insight."

Bessel is brought up to speed and shown the scroll. It will be an interesting thing indeed to see the ratfolk alchemist in something fancy.

The door chime is sounded and after a minute or two a woman is shown to the parlor and announced by the maid. "Mistress Lilim, Representative of House al-Din. She has brought a large coach with several persons and materials."

The woman is taller than most, at 5'8" and a very tightly muscled 140 pounds. Her inhuman heritage is all-too apparent. She is scaled, but her scales are practically see-through and her skin is translucent and veiny, with a jaundiced veneer. Two fleshy nubs at her head, no bigger in width or length than her own curled pinky, are vestigial horns. They are at the parallel to the vertical lines of the temples, and are hard to hide inside of her otherwise lustrous black hair. Her eyes are shaped as normal for a human, but are black pools with only the faintest demarcation for sclera/pupil/iris. The actual shape of her face is human with aquiline features, and a slightly larger than normal nose that gives her the overall feeling of a bird

Her prehensile tail tends to slide in a slight arc behind her as a counterbalance, but it is thicker in scales, is no broader than two men's thumbs at central diameter, and is very prehensile. The end of the tail includes a classic diabolic "barbed" look. Though the side-to-side whipping motion is no good for piercing, it looks like it could do a good job of slashing across an enemy's face, if not to bludgeon them outright. Her hands are kept in a ritualized style - cupped over each other and resting at her navel - hands which are clawed. Her forearms are particularly thick; in fact, they are actually as thick as (or slightly thicker) than her upper arms. Unlike her prodigious biceps, these lower arms seem rigid, and you don't doubt that she could probably smash through a table with these built-in cesti. (It's almost like having tonfa on the arms, or a dumbed down version of Hellboy's arm.)

She is hideous, and that is the unfortunate truth, and her skin is what really sets things off. But she stands with a poise and a depth of intensity wherein she knows, accepts, and uses this bizarre collage of pieces to look ferocious. Damnably ferocious.

IchibodIt took a lot of brainpower to figure her out, but that tail pretty much seals it. At least you think it does. She seems to be a tiefling, a creature born of a heritage of denizens of the Lower Planes. They are farther removed than one step from their evil forbears, but most tieflings themselves are clever, quick, but generally untrustworthy. On the other hand, it is believed that many tieflings simply breed true with each other, though it is unknown how traits are passed along from sires to sons. The fact that Natalya wasn't invited to the party for saving Fathi's wife, but this .... woman ... works for House al-Din, probably entails some interesting story.
The Heidmarches stand to greet the guest. Speckled Antelope stands slowly, staring at Lilim. His mouth is slightly open and he ***** his head as if to say something, then confusion at seeming to not know what to say, and then he swallows, staring as she is brought around the room.

Lilim is introduced to the group. She may possibly cause a little distemper because of her appearance, and yet her gaze is mesmerizing. When she gets to The Scribe, however, he can't seem to look at her straight on. "How, how do you do?" is all he can manage.

AtomicBanana
2013-09-09, 09:10 AM
Bessel reads the missive, then rereads it, consternation in his squinting pink eyes and furrowed brow. He speaks two sentences.

"I'll need a bath. Gods, I hate bathing."

lostsole31
2013-09-09, 12:08 PM
"We mortals, on the other hand," ribs Speckled, "hate it when you don't." :smallwink:

nasus
2013-09-09, 01:16 PM
"At least you don't have to wear a dress." Dorit says as an aside to Bessel, feeling the demonic-looking woman a fitting harbinger to the imminent torture.

AtomicBanana
2013-09-09, 01:23 PM
"You think they make pants for beings with tails? No, it'll be a robe for me. Swishy swishy at the bottom. Like a dress."

nasus
2013-09-09, 02:05 PM
"I'm not sure you really understand what all is involved with a dress."

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-09, 02:42 PM
Lilim's tail barely flicks with annoyance, but it is the only outward sign she shows of any feeling. "When the house al-Din offers you a place at its table you do not complain about bathing or dresses. Such generosity is not extended lightly."
She looks at the Scribe and with practiced care selects her words.
"My Lords mistress has been returned, it is with much...joy...that I extend the house al-Din's invitation."

She says the word joy like she doesn't fully understand its meaning.

nasus
2013-09-09, 05:28 PM
"Beautiful. Lessons in propriety from the tarted up monster." Dorit rolls her eyes and leans back against the wall, arms crossed.

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-09, 06:54 PM
"Maybe a few lessons in decorum could have done you some good, once, but I'm afraid it's too late. Perhaps you could still learn how to properly treat a guest and representative of a noble house, but I won't hold my breath."
Lilim cooly looks around the room, affixing what one might assume is a gracious smile on her face. The smile does not reach her eyes.
"Should I inform my lord that you accept his invitation? I suggest you decide quickly, I assume you will need all the time you can find to get ready."

lostsole31
2013-09-09, 07:49 PM
Speckled whispers to Bessel, and Ichibod hears but Dorit misses. "Assless chaps, with a hole cut out for your tail."

The gracious smiles are to be found on Lord and Lady Heidmarch, whose smiles seem to diminish some at the group's disrespectful banter.

"Lilim," says Lady Heidmarch, "please forgive any lapse they may have in known ceremony. They returned to the surface world today and have yet to fully wind down. While Ichibod and Dorit both studied the most basic approaches to well-to-do affairs at college, that is not their specialty. Only I, my husband, and our scribe are trained in such matters."

She looks over to the Scribe inscrutably then back to Lilim. "And I am sure that my servant does not look at you directly because ... he is addle-pated and oft given to bouts of intellectual reverie.

"I know speak for the rest that we shall be only too delighted to accept House al-Din. I am sure that it will be one of the most prestigious events to have graced our lives. Please, show your servants in. Normally my husband and I have plenty of clothing for these affairs, but even I shall enjoy enrobing myself in Drumish garb to put all at ease."

Sheila looks to the group. "As shall we all."

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-09, 11:39 PM
"Thank you for your kind words Lady Heidmarch, we will be most honored to have you and your husband as our guests. Alas I understand the stresses of battle all too well, politics was something learned much later."

lostsole31
2013-09-10, 05:11 AM
With a 21 on Lilim's Intimidation check, folks might not be intimidated, but it should be strong enough to get to business.

Of course, with the comment "tarted-up monster," it would be interesting to see a duel between the juggernaut Dorit and Lilim. :smalltongue:
Various tailors and the like come in to do fittings on the group (with each separately behind a screen for privacy). Each outfit is the equivalent of nobleman's clothing with full-value gems.

Bessel is fitted with a full-length white gown, a fine contrast to his black fur (which seems to be showing white at the roots for some reason). He is given a white turban which is wrapped around a crimson fez, and full-length white gloves. He is then fitted with a matching crimson-and-fire orange sash that is tied so that it twists while maintaining a width. It will be little work for them to make soft shoes for him, also crimson.

The Scribe likewise wears the full-length white gown (really more of a color-change from his black scrivener's robes, albeit much nicer), full-length gloves, basic sandals, and white turban. He has no fez and his sash is only a darker off-white silk. Though he is given the same in quality cloth and jewelry, he is simply the Heidmarches' servant and doesn't receive the same level of detail, an assumption he does nothing to change.

Jolly and Ichibod each have white linen turbans (no fez), white shirts with split collar, and jackets (wide sleeves to middle forearms and broad at the waist) over dark, blousy pants that cinch at the bottom. Black boots. A colorful sash completes the ensemble, matching the colorful jackets. Jolly, something about this style of dress is actually comfortable ... mostly.

Dorit has two choices, she can girl it up with a wonderful dress of pretty much any color and all manner of stuff, or if she is less feminine the tailors are actually of a mind to dress her in full black, similar to Lilim. This would be a "dress uniform" to Lilim's functional form but little different overall. Black blouse (cinched at wrists) over black breeches (cinched at ankle). The blouse is split collared just like the dress shirts for the men, and you also receive black sash and turban. It is still of the finest quality, with gold jewelry to keep from being entirely colorless. There seems to be some meaning behind this attire, but you don't know what it is, but it definitely seems to be more of a military uniform of some type.

Some rules about dress code and how to show up.
* This is a function with foreign dignitaries and possible powerful political allies, not a dungeon crawl.
* No armor, no shields. Don't bring them. Dorit could've gotten away with masterwork or better light armor and masterwork or better buckler (no larger), but she doesn't have it so it doesn't matter.
* Each of you can bring one (and only one) light weapon of masterwork or better value; longswords and flails are not light weapons. No ranged-only weapons (as in, no bow, net, bola, etc.). The idea is that if you do wear a small weapon of this quality (and in this case, you are actually encouraged), it is decorative, not for those spoiling for a fight.
* No general equipment. Show up as you would IRL for any fine dinner. You wouldn't show up with backpack, bedroll, etc. This also means no worn magic items that do not have obvious decorative properties. E.g., the muleback cords are not decorative, but Ichibod's ring of feather falling would be.
* Lastly, and most importantly ... leave your "PC glow" at Heidmarch Manor.

The Heidmarches are given lead priority, followed by Bessel (Wha-?), then Jolly, and then Ichibod. If Dorit wears a dress, she is last. If she wears the black uniform, then she is ranked behind Bessel in importance, and yet outside ranking; it seems she would be treated very importantly, and yet more of a protective role for the rest of the group. The Scribe is merely a servant of the Heidmarches. He will taste their food and drink, see to their immediate needs, and then eat. He is a member of the feast, but for any discussion outside of the meal he is to stand behind the Heidmarches until asked for counsel.

Any questions?

AtomicBanana
2013-09-10, 11:53 AM
Bessel tugs at one of the sleeves of the robe. "White," he moans, "Oh gods...why did it have to be white?"

Bessel makes his way to the baths once the measurements are complete, muttering something about people laughing at him.

lostsole31
2013-09-10, 12:14 PM
Ichibod, are you going to chase Natalya down? If so, post in the Interactive, please.
If no one has anything else, we'll assume Lilim and the tailors leave and we FF to the next morning?

Jolly and Bessel, figure out your spell/ admixture setup. Otherwise, I will assume that what you have normally is still there. Also, remember that you will still be going into the Crow today, that this meal was set up to honor you but placed at this time of day to ready you for battle as well.

AtomicBanana
2013-09-10, 12:29 PM
Bessel, distinctly uncomfortable the morning of the meeting, attempts to wake before the others and sneak down to his lab.

Pretty standard array, just replacing Longshot with Bomber's Eye

nasus
2013-09-10, 12:43 PM
Dorit will choose the black uniform style and inquire with the group if there is a suitable blade she might take.

AtomicBanana
2013-09-10, 12:59 PM
As everyone gathers together before leaving for the Al-Din's, Bessel is the last to arrive. He is resplendently, radiantly, magnificently, obscenely white.

His robe is white, his turban: white. His gloves, also white.

Bessel's fur is white. His pink eyes, off-putting in his familiar black fur suddenly make sense.

He is also swearing in six languages, alternating from one to the other so swiftly that they all sort of mesh into a soliloquy that still manages to sound, to the untrained ear, distinctly venomous and not-at-all suited for polite company.

lostsole31
2013-09-10, 01:08 PM
Because Dorit has chosen the black uniform, she can carry her masterwork longsword despite the above restrictions (but still no armor or shield). However, this carries with it the concept that like Speckled Antelope, the meal is in your honor but you are also in a servitor role for the Heidmarches et. al. ... that is, bodyguard ... which carries with it similar restrictions of when to speak.Which should be not at all for a bodyguard, which for RP purposes means its better for you to not take the sword so you can interact unless you really want to upset things. You are not a CN savage, you are a N barbarian that comes from a more advanced tribal setting that understands various rituals and deferences ... possibly to a level that most city-dwelling commoners are too cynical to understand. Still, there seems to be some honor in this, but you don't quite understand its implications.
Ichibod has his masterwork silvered dagger.

That's pretty much it for the group.

nasus
2013-09-10, 01:46 PM
Dorit will take her longsword; she is a Protector of the Society and takes pride as such. She will be content to watch and listen.

TickleMeTemplar
2013-09-10, 02:42 PM
Rezah will prepare all of his normal spells, except he replaces abundant ammunition with obscuring mist, and forbid action with command.

lostsole31
2013-09-10, 03:20 PM
The next morning, the group assembles in their cottage in preparation to walk to the Manor, and then carriage to House al-Din. The strangest thing of note is that there is some albino ratfolk dressed in white just like Bessel was fitted last night. White rat, white frocks. Likes to work in a lab.

Some might even say ... "lab rat."

lostsole31
2013-09-11, 01:21 PM
Natalya, the evening prior when Ichibod found you, do you intend to try to infiltrate House al-Din and watch "from stealth," or do you stay away from that brier patch? Tower Girls only ever break into middle class or lesser houses since finer places post incredible security (personnel and material) and may have magical defenses you can't detect or circumvent.As a thief-acrobat, you don't have trapfinding, nor the ability to disable such traps if found. All of the Perception and Disable Device checks in the world can't help you, and it would come down to detect magic and doing little better than determining the school of magic cast on something for you to be able to figure this out ... or one day picking up trapfinding as a rogue talent.

Only the high end cat burglars manage to sneak into places like this. So the question is, if you intend to "watch from stealth" do you consider yourself high end?

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-11, 02:57 PM
Natalya doesn't think the House Al-Din is hiding anything nefarious from her, if anything they don't want their fine silver to go missing. Which, once she cools down is a fair concern. Inviting her would be a bit like asking the fox to guard the hen house. And even if there is something they're hiding, she knows Spot would see it. But she doesn't feel safe staying here without her companions, or Sheila. She decides to find the best lookout point where she can watch for their return but not be in the actual headquarters where someone looking for her might expect her. Preferably a high room with a view of the headquarters with only one entrance, or the most similar kind of spot.

lostsole31
2013-09-11, 04:24 PM
For the rest of the group, two carriages come to take you. They are beautifully appointed, as for any high mucky-schmucks. Sheila and Canayven did well for themselves, bought fought and scraped for what is a nice place. But as you reach House al-Din, you realize that adventuring still isn't as lucrative as many think.

Once the carriages are brought in the round that exits to the house, you see that the mansion, the grounds, everything ... is incredibly opulent in a foreign style blended tastefully with local royal styles. Ichibod easily recognizes the Drumish influence. Bessel actually has some fantastic in-depth understanding of the style, influences, and pretty much anything about the architecture. You go up the very wide marble steps that have several landings, across the long landing and to the door which is wide open.

Standing there you see a man in Drumish outfit, but of a style that seems not quit in-sync with what you were offered in fitting. There is no doubt that it is a very formal servant's outfit, and Sheila rightly guesses that this must be the majordomo. His jacket is looped at the top, and his jacket is tight. He wears no turban. His hair is thick and curly but with a strong widow's peak. He has black hair and goatee. His goatee appears to be in some stylistic cut that is personal; none of you have seen this fashion before, not even in passing. That is, none but one.

"Hm," Speckled muses, "history buff. He has a fashion of dress and beard that was popular back a hundr---"

And that is when everyone notices what is truly odd about the man as they get closer. His gleaming black boots aren't gleaming because they are polished so well (well, a little). Rather, they are appear to be gleaming because of the sunlight that hits the marble flooring behind him .... as the light travels through .... his nearly translucent feet and legs. Even closer, you recognize that while there is some substance, you still vaguely see things through him. A line of servants exists beyond him. As he speaks, he does so in a manner well-spoken and yet with a gleeful tenor. [When he laughs, think of the eponymous character in the movie AMADEUS.]

"Welcome, welcome, esteemed Lord, Lady, and friends of the house!" he calls (practically shouts) grandly. "I am Anaximander, Joyous Servant Eternal to House al-Din. Yes, I shall allay the feeling now so we don't fidget at the 800-lb bulette in the room. I am, in fact, Eternal; but fear not, I am Joyous. I was a member of House al-Din some 250, 250, 250-something, I just don't remember anymore. I was something of a poet and a rover in my day."

Here he gives a sly wink to Dorit. "Sadly, my wife, never understanding such things, confronted me on one of my 'late night walks.' She took extreme measures, gods be sorrowful, that ended her life, but not before she cursed me, saying that I was a cad and that the gods would be happy if I should never again be able to touch a woman, for I was such a rake that anyone should be able to see right through me. And now, they can! Aha-aha-ahahahaha!"

His mirth at his otherwise unfortunate undead spiritual situation is surprising. Jolly, do you yell and attempt to toast him with spirit hammer?

TickleMeTemplar
2013-09-11, 10:29 PM
Rezah does nothing.

lostsole31
2013-09-12, 04:32 AM
Who? Oh, Jolly. Remember what you said yourself about referring to your real (yet unknown) name.
Anaximander leads the party through the incredibly spacious foyer (yes, complete with stairs curving up to a center landing, above) and to the left. There, to the left, is an immense dining hall that probably serves as a ballroom at certain times. The various tables against the walls that hold many decorative items probably can be put against the very large main table to accommodate more persons.

"My Lord Fathi and Lady Hülya," announces Anaximander, and the following he has go in an order: "Sir and Lady Canayven Heidmarch .... Bessel d'Skaven .... Ichibod of the Lyrune-Quah Tribe ... Jolly of Sarenrae ... and the Heidmarches entourage of their guard and their counselor."

Fathi and Hülya stand at their places at the table, as does Lilim per training. The thing is, when Fathi stands, he keeps standing, and standing, until he reaches his full height.

Fathi is at the far end of the table, with Hülya to his left around the corner, and Lilim to his right around the corner. Sir Canayven is sat next to Hülya, then Sheila, Dorit, and then finally the Scribe. Bessel is sat next to the ugly scary bodyguard in black (Lilim)! Then Ichibod next to him, and Jolly after that.

Hülya, now that she is cleaned up, is 5'5" and approximately 120 pounds. Her figure is amazing for what recently happened to her biologically. (If anyone says anything at all about it, may they choke on their food.) Her beauty is now complete and beyond anything you've ever seen or even dreamt about; you might have dreamt the idea, but she makes the concept of divine beauty real and tangible. She wears colorful clothing favoring lavender, with soft blue and purple streamers and ribbons in her hair and around her waist. Her dress is at once provocative and flattering without being lustful or wanton.Think of this, though her hair is darker (more to black). Her eyes are soft brown. She does not carry the staff, though the flute is at her side.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/187/4/9/pathfinder_priestess__comm_by_yamao-d6cayua.jpg
Fathi dresses in the same full-length white gown and white gloves, sash, and turban as for Bessel, but a black-and-red sash and a red fez with a black tassle. The man is perhaps the tallest human being you have ever seen, coming in close to seven feet tall. Though dressed in the flowing robes, his frame is unmistakeably large, and his chest juts out noticeably while his gloved hands are Big. He has a jeweled dagger of some curving make at his side. Ichibod recognizes it as Qadiran weapon known as a jambiya.http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/053/4/2/rose_jambiya_by_inquetu-d5vsq9b.jpgWhile not surpassing earthly beauty as his wife, he is pretty damn close, much moreso than the striking Ichibod, and his bearing is great and regal. Were you a soldier in his company, you might just follow him through the gates of Hell.http://www.esubulletin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/King_Leonidas_by_EuroFoxx-231x300.jpg
He claps for the meal which the servants promptly bring, and Hülya plays the proper hostess flawlessly in directing them. And, oh, what food!
Maybe you've noticed from some hints and your ability to parse things out, but Druma is actually like Turkey, not Arab or Persian countries ... though there are some obvious crossovers. If ever you have doubt over how something may look, thing about a fantasy Ottoman Empire.

BREAKFAST
Turks usually prefer a simple breakfast. A typical Turkish breakfast consists of cheese (beyaz peynir, kaşar etc.), butter, olives, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, jam, honey, and kaymak. Sucuk (spicy Turkish sausage, can be eaten with eggs), pastırma, börek, simit, poğaça and soups are eaten as a morning meal in Turkey. A common Turkish speciality for breakfast is called menemen, which is prepared with tomatoes, green peppers, onion, olive oil and eggs. Invariably, Turkish tea is served at breakfast. The Turkish word for breakfast, kahvaltı, means "before coffee" (kahve, 'coffee'; altı, 'under').

SUMMER CUISINE
In the hot Turkish summer, a meal often consists of fried vegetables such as eggplant (aubergine) and peppers or potatoes served with yogurt and tomato sauce. Menemen and çılbır are typical summer dishes, based on eggs. Sheep's cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelons and melons also make a light summer meal. Those who like helva for dessert prefer summer helva, which is lighter and less sweet than the regular one.

Remember, this may not sound quite as highbrow as you expected, but you are being fed well for a day of adventuring, not an evening to let loose. Still, these foods are brought out in such quantity and variety that it will suit any taste and fill any belly.

All conversation will be assumed to take place during the meal.
"I am your humble servant," says Fathi humbly, and nearly with tears. "I thought I would never see my dearest Daydream again. What great intuition led your group to where the den of evil lay wherein my wife ... and the priest of Sarenrae now in your company there ... were kept for ill-use, including the most horrid actions. Whatever brought you to an ancient haunt of evil?"

A question no doubt on some level of Jolly's mind, unless he simply views it as divine providence.

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-12, 01:49 PM
"My lord, you remember how it was. You're not doing your job if you don't find yourself in a hive of unimaginable evil." Lilim smiles warmly at Fathi, before giving him a look that clearly says the next part is serious. "Pardon my impudence, but I must advise you to carefully consider before further questioning our Lady's saviors. I fear learning more of what led to her situation might just upset you both, and I do not want to see either of you further traumatized. Also might I remind you that the circumstances surrounding missions like this are often...complicated...at best. I would prefer not learn anything that might put you in an uncomfortable situation or mar the joyous return of our dear Lady."

AtomicBanana
2013-09-12, 01:52 PM
Bessel avoids conversation and focuses on eating as carefully as possible, as to escape the notice a tumbled glass or dropped fork would encourage. If any white fur is visible on the back of his neck, it is raised.

TheCyberwoman
2013-09-12, 02:13 PM
The rat does not escape Lilim's notice, as a bit of her dour humor creeps through.
Just below a stage whisper. "It would appear they sat me next to the wrong person. I had hoped I might not be the most odorous creature in the room. But if seems it washes out of you just fine."

BesselAt this close proximity there is no way you could miss the thick musk of sulfur that clings to Lilim. At a distance her spicy perfume probably masks the odor for others but you probably smelt it the first time she arrived.

Lilim focusing on his determination to eat, wryly says. "My sincerest apologies if I've hurt your appetite."

Duce
2013-09-12, 02:20 PM
Icebod stays silent unless engaged directly, trusting in the Hiedmsrchs to lead the conversation on behalf of the Society. He eats normally, but is watchful.