PDA

View Full Version : Way to get Bluff as a class skill for an archivist?

Giegue
2013-06-20, 09:30 PM
As the title asks. I am going to be playing an archivist who is going to be picking up some of the slack that the party has face-wise and going into malconvoker and was wondering what feats, if any, are out there to get bluff as a class skill? If somebody could point me to such a feat I'd be grateful.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-06-20, 09:57 PM
The easiest way is to be a human and take the feat able learner at first level.

mabriss lethe
2013-06-20, 10:12 PM
Actually, Able learner only negates the extra cost of taking a cross class skill, You're still limited by the cross class rank cap.

The Apprentice (Criminal) feat from DMGII will nab you Bluff and Intimidate +100gp to your starting gold.

Other than that, Gaining access to cleric domains via Planar Touchstone feat is pretty easy. Dragon, Envy, and Trickery Domains all grant Bluff as a class skill.

JaronK
2013-06-20, 11:31 PM
Note that that planar touchstone trick (the Catalogues of Enlightenment) also makes it really easy to add a bunch of spells to your book off domain lists, so that's a great way to do it.

JaronK

Arael666
2013-06-21, 05:38 AM
you can always dip a level in cleric and get the trickery domain, it adds Bluff, Disguise, and Hide to your list of cleric class skills.

After that, the able learner feat, so you don't spend 2 skill points every level.

EDIT: Just saw that you want to go malconvoker.

Well, you can qualify for malconvoker at level 5 as an archivist, and you'll have 4 ranks in bluff when that happens. You can just invest more skill points after you enter the prestige class.

That's the best option IMHO. Wasting a feat or a CL just so you can max bluff early on doesn't sound appealing to me, also malconvoker already lose a CL at 1º level and need as many feats as he can get to improve their summons.

GreenSerpent
2013-06-21, 05:50 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0

Apprentice (criminal) or Aereni Focus looks like the only way.

prufock
2013-06-21, 08:45 AM
The BG link misses one. Flexible Mind (Dragon 326) - requires you to be chaotic, you choose 2 skills in which you already have ranks to always be class skills. So just buy a few cross class ranks first.

The 3.0 version of the Cosmopolitan Feat (FRCS) would work as well, but it was updated to just skill bonuses in 3.5.

Roguenewb
2013-06-21, 08:50 AM
you can always dip a level in cleric and get the trickery domain, it adds Bluff, Disguise, and Hide to your list of cleric class skills.

After that, the able learner feat, so you don't spend 2 skill points every level.

EDIT: Just saw that you want to go malconvoker.

Well, you can qualify for malconvoker at level 5 as an archivist, and you'll have 4 ranks in bluff when that happens. You can just invest more skill points after you enter the prestige class.

That's the best option IMHO. Wasting a feat or a CL just so you can max bluff early on doesn't sound appealing to me, also malconvoker already lose a CL at 1º level and need as many feats as he can get to improve their summons.

Quote for truth. With your high INT, it should be possible to make up the 3 lost ranks at Malconvoker 1, combined with the Skill Focus Bluff and you should be totally fine.