PDA

View Full Version : Happy Feats

unseenmage
2013-06-20, 09:52 PM
I've built a Temple to the god of Craftsmen and filled it with altars that grant access to craft skill bonuses and item crafting feats. Then I opened it to the public and gave away free Ambrosia by the bushel too.

Now my DM and I cannot decide if the altars should grant access to the feats for those who do not meet the prerequisites or not.

On the one hand the prerequisites are bought and paid for. +5000 gp per prerequisite.

On the other hand some feat granting items require one to meet the prerequisites to benefit.

We're stumped. Which is the norm? Are my feat altars OP? Would the god of crafting be pleased or dismayed?

Thanks regardless Playground.

Wings of Peace
2013-06-20, 10:09 PM
The items would override the normal rule. Technically there's no conflict I believe since you must meet a feats prequisites to "take" it not to be granted it.

Malvanis
2013-06-20, 10:21 PM
The items would override the normal rule. Technically there's no conflict I believe since you must meet a feats prequisites to "take" it not to be granted it.

I agree. If the item says it grants the prerequisites, it does. Technically, the items do not grant the feat itself, but an ability replicating the effect of the feat.

Wings of Peace
2013-06-20, 10:35 PM
Technically, the items do not grant the feat itself, but an ability replicating the effect of the feat.

Unless I read the op the items actually grant the feats not identical but different abilities. That said, this doesn't have to mean they also grant any pre-requisites. It's a case of specific exceptions vs. general rules.

Gildedragon
2013-06-20, 11:18 PM
Do the altars grant the feats permanently, or merely while people are crafting at them?
What did you pay for them? There are anvils/forges in RoS that do precisely that. Making them any-race might raise their price by 1.11 to 1.43 times
Check your cost against the forges, if it is cheaper then the altar likely is limited as your DM says. If the altars are more expensive, then they work as (or better than) the forges.

unseenmage
2013-06-20, 11:24 PM
Do the altars grant the feats permanently, or merely while people are crafting at them?
What did you pay for them? There are anvils/forges in RoS that do precisely that. Making them any-race might raise their price by 1.11 to 1.43 times
Check your cost against the forges, if it is cheaper then the altar likely is limited as your DM says. If the altars are more expensive, then they work as (or better than) the forges.

My apologies for the confusion.

The feat altars only grant access to the feats while you're crafting at them. The skill boosting altars only grant their bonus while you're crafting at them.

5,000gp per feat and +2,500gp per prerequisite.
(1/2 normal 10,000gp and 5,000gp because they're immobile Wondrous Architecture)

Gildedragon
2013-06-20, 11:42 PM
10 is a bit low for such an item. The RoS free-for-all version would cost between ~16k-21.5k depending if race is seen to be on par with class or skills as a restriction for use. Additionally they are already architecture. So I'd say needing to meet the prereqs isn't unreasonable, seeing how you've gotten a vast discount.

Lightlawbliss
2013-06-20, 11:48 PM
How my group has always used the 10+5/per rule is that it only gives if you qualify anyway.