PDA

View Full Version : Brew Potion issue -- D&D 3.5 core rulebooks

bioactive
2013-06-21, 06:21 AM
Hey guys... just looking to see if anyone else has noticed this.

In the 3.5e Player's Handbook, the "Brew Potion" feat entry explains that the base price of a potion is equal to the Caster Level x Spell Level x 50gp.

However, in the 3.5e Dungeon Master's Guide, the formula is slightly different: Caster Level x Spell Level x 25gp. Which would mean half-price potions.

I've looked online and in some other sourcebooks, and I haven't yet run into anything that explains the discrepancy. Might this just be a typo in the one or the other? It's not urgent or anything... But it still seems odd to me. Thoughts?

eggynack
2013-06-21, 06:28 AM
I don't think that there is a contradiction. The player's handbook is listing the base price, which is 50*spell level*caster level. The dungeon master's guide is listing the crafting price, which is 25*spell level*caster level. Thus, you should use the DMG's pricing when crafting, and the PHB's pricing when purchasing. Or, y'know, just use the PHB's base price, and divide it by two in order to craft.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-21, 09:22 AM
What eggynack said. This is generally true of magical crafting - the cost to craft is generally half the cost to purchase. So if you are crafting and selling goods, a 100% markup is expected to cover your labor.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-21, 09:34 AM
What eggynack said. This is generally true of magical crafting - the cost to craft is generally half the cost to purchase. So if you are crafting and selling goods, a 100% markup is expected to cover your labor.

Which is 3x the normal 30% profit markup included in the price of manufactured goods. D&D Adventurer Economy prices; these fools chasing after dragons will pay ANYTHING in their high risk high reward career paths. The 100% markup is mostly due to the very few people who can master magic in the general population.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-21, 09:59 AM
No, mundane goods have a 200% mark up, even worse. Creating mundane things takes 1/3rd the sale price in materials.